• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Recruiting Class Grade

uofmman1122 said:
wbtfg said:
It seems to me that Hauck approaches this class by focusing on signing everyone early and then saving some money to use one the waiver wire/transfer portal.

I realize it’s too early to tell, but do you like that strategy?
Let me get back to you after summer, considering we haven't gotten anyone through that method yet this season (unless you count the JuCo prospects). If that is indeed the goal, it doesn't seem to be working thus far.

Yeah agreed will have a better idea at the start of Fall camp. I am not sure if that’s Hauck’s strategy or not because he says very little about what he is looking for in that regard.

wbtfg said:
It seems to me that Hauck approaches this class by focusing on signing everyone early and then saving some money to use one the waiver wire/transfer portal.

My big dumb brain skipped over the first part of that last sentence, so I'll re-answer:

Assuming you can get some of those bigger fish drop downs, it's a solid strategy. Although the results on the field didn't reflect it, it sure seemed like the attitude of the team changed from the year before, and he's looking for kids that buy in early and fit that mold.

The dropdowns only really offer assurances, though. We weren't one or two kids away from going to the Semis last year. It's gonna take a substantial culture change and growth in every player to get to that level this year, so being super worried about drop downs is a little misplaced, IMO.

That said, drop downs in key places would mask the deficiencies a lot more. I'm excited to see how much he can get out of the players this spring/summer/fall, regardless of whether or not we land a hotshot CB or DL dropdown, and I feel like he's got the right strategy.

That said, I also felt like Stitt was doing a great job (until he obviously wasn't), so my track record as of late is not stellar. :lol:

I think part of the strategy of signing early is hoping some of those guys are FBS guys and may be getting offers for the late period depending on how FBS classes are shaking out. Have to save a few for the late period for the drop down or one that slips through the cracks, but I love the early signing period.

uofmman1122 said:
wbtfg said:

My big dumb brain skipped over the first part of that last sentence, so I'll re-answer:

Assuming you can get some of those bigger fish drop downs, it's a solid strategy. Although the results on the field didn't reflect it, it sure seemed like the attitude of the team changed from the year before, and he's looking for kids that buy in early and fit that mold.

The dropdowns only really offer assurances, though. We weren't one or two kids away from going to the Semis last year. It's gonna take a substantial culture change and growth in every player to get to that level this year, so being super worried about drop downs is a little misplaced, IMO.

That said, drop downs in key places would mask the deficiencies a lot more. I'm excited to see how much he can get out of the players this spring/summer/fall, regardless of whether or not we land a hotshot CB or DL dropdown, and I feel like he's got the right strategy.

That said, I also felt like Stitt was doing a great job (until he obviously wasn't), so my track record as of late is not stellar. :lol:

I think his product on the field wasn't progressing how we would've hoped. His classes were good, no matter what the anti-stitt crowd will lead you to believe. That 2016 class thread shows just that...top 5 FCS but the linemen retired, which hurts the class and team depth. Just part of it. That's why i love to guess how the classes will do, as there is no way to know and makes for good conversation.

AZDoc said:
I think part of the strategy of signing early is hoping some of those guys are FBS guys and may be getting offers for the late period depending on how FBS classes are shaking out. Have to save a few for the late period for the drop down or one that slips through the cracks, but I love the early signing period.

Hauck mentioned this last week. Said about 5 of the guys they signed early probably wouldn't of been around if they signed late. Said at first he hated the early signing period, but now is a big proponent for it besides it takes some of the steam out of the "official" signing day.

BDizzle said:
AZDoc said:

Hauck mentioned this last week. Said about 5 of the guys they signed early probably wouldn't of been around if they signed late. Said at first he hated the early signing period, but now is a big proponent for it besides it takes some of the steam out of the "official" signing day.

No way, hero sports says the best Griz signee is 294 or whatever...

krammer said:
an honest question ?........are there any of these recruits who will play as a true freshman ?.....Sulser was special last year, do we have one this year ?......if so, who ?.......the board sounds like the are all red shirts.....i am not talking about transfers, as Bobby has made it plain he does not recruit those folks to ride the bench.

Ostmo
Walker
Welnell
McGourin

Those are the only ones that I would say have played significantly as true freshmen this year.

AZGrizFan said:
krammer said:
an honest question ?........are there any of these recruits who will play as a true freshman ?.....Sulser was special last year, do we have one this year ?......if so, who ?.......the board sounds like the are all red shirts.....i am not talking about transfers, as Bobby has made it plain he does not recruit those folks to ride the bench.

Ostmo
Walker
Welnell
McGourin

Those are the only ones that I would say have played significantly as true freshmen this year.

#10 Marcus Welnel R.So LB
Or #63 Trevor Welnel R.Fr OT?

Or did you mean Elwell?

AZGrizFan said:
krammer said:

Ostmo
Walker
Welnell
McGourin

Braxton Hill has “played significantly as a true freshman.” I believe he’s played in every game so far.

garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:
krammer said:

Ostmo
Walker
Welnell
McGourin

Braxton Hill has “played significantly as a true freshman.” I believe he’s played in every game so far.
And Welnel is a RS freshman

behappp said:
garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:
krammer said:

Ostmo
Walker
Welnell
McGourin

And Welnel is a RS freshman

You are getting your Welnel's confused. #10 Marcus LB has played quite a bit and did last year as well, but he is a red-shirt sophmore. His brother #63 Trevor OG has not seen the field very much, he is a RS freshman.

Griztrain said:
AZGrizFan said:
krammer said:

Ostmo
Walker
Welnell
McGourin

#10 Marcus Welnel R.So LB
Or #63 Trevor Welnel R.Fr OT?

Or did you mean Elwell?

THAT'S who I meant. Joey Elwell... :thumb: :thumb:

[media] https://twitter.com/frankgogola/status/1188150995320217601?s=21[/media]

He was a star’d receiver coming out of HS & seems to have bulked up a bit to play defense. Sounds like a potential fit to me.

bgbigdog said:
[media] https://twitter.com/frankgogola/status/1188150995320217601?s=21[/media]

He was a star’d receiver coming out of HS & seems to have bulked up a bit to play defense. Sounds like a potential fit to me.

Go Griz hasn't been updated. Interesting.

codycleve said:
Looks like Elwell just hit his 4 games.. Is he done for the year or do they keep playing him?

I’m guessing he’s done, especially with the depth we have at TE

AZGrizFan said:
codycleve said:
Looks like Elwell just hit his 4 games.. Is he done for the year or do they keep playing him?

Everyone's been so worried about some guy named Sulser that they forgot another other injured guy, for a lot longer thus far, named Rensvold. Not sure if he’s part of the depth you’re referring to, but nobody’s suggested he’s back yet.

bgbigdog said:
AZGrizFan said:
codycleve said:

Everyone's been so worried about some guy named Sulser that they forgot another other injured guy, for a lot longer thus far, named Rensvold. Not sure if he’s part of the depth you’re referring to, but nobody’s suggested he’s back yet.

5 TE’s other than Rensvold on the roster.

Back