• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2022 Offense/Defense

LaJollaGriz said:
Patterson is nothing more than a third string QB at best. He can't pass the ball.

Right.... he runs well, that's about it. Brown is a legit QB. Not sure why everyone is counting him out. He had his first college snaps last year and his stats are pretty good. If he improves in a couple areas he'll be a baller. I still think Brown will be the starter in 2023 and makeball the naysayers eat crow. It's funny how they down play him and act like Humphrey was a God, which he had 3 more years of experience than Brown did.... and Brown was the better passer. He just didn't do good under pressure and reading the defense. All of which is coachable. If our qb coach can't coach him into a badass qb, he needs to be fired.

Griz Addict said:
LaJollaGriz said:
Patterson is nothing more than a third string QB at best. He can't pass the ball.

Right.... he runs well, that's about it. Brown is a legit QB. Not sure why everyone is counting him out. He had his first college snaps last year and his stats are pretty good. If he improves in a couple areas he'll be a baller. I still think Brown will be the starter in 2023 and makeball the naysayers eat crow. It's funny how they down play him and act like Humphrey was a God, which he had 3 more years of experience than Brown did.... and Brown was the better passer. He just didn't do good under pressure and reading the defense. All of which is coachable. If our qb coach can't coach him into a badass qb, he needs to be fired.

Well addict, here is what I do know, there has been talk within the program about Brown switching positions, and they are still doing their due diligence looking at transfer quarterbacks. They also went with a QB with less game experience in the biggest game of the year.

Griz Addict said:
LaJollaGriz said:

Brown had plenty of game time to prove himself up to the task. He got pulled in the biggest game of his life after going 1/5 with a sack. Whether he is QB1 or not has nothing to do with peoples’ opinions of Humphrey (good or bad).

I hope Brown finds a position where he can contribute because he seems to be a good guy, but it is hard to believe he will be playing QB for UM.

goatcreekgriz said:
I hope Brown finds a position where he can contribute because he seems to be a good guy, but it is hard to believe he will be playing QB for UM.

Agreed.

I lost all faith in Brown as a QB when he threw a ball 10 feet over Sammy’s head late in game at Northern Colorado. Sammy couldn’t have been more open and it couldn’t have been a more simple pass. Was probably a 10 yard throw and it sailed 10 feet over his head. It was almost incredible to see. Then his last appearance compounded for me he is not the guy….in fact far from it. I hope they find him a new spot though as I’d love to see him excel here.

Brown had absolutely no pocket presence and looked like a deer in the headlights on every play. If he is the Griz QB in 2022, I think the chances of success are minimal.

'68griz said:
Brown had absolutely no pocket presence and looked like a deer in the headlights on every play. If he is the Griz QB in 2022, I think the chances of success are minimal.

Yep, deer in the headlights, holds the ball too long and then takes the sack. Loads of athleticism and a great arm, but doesn’t progress through reads when the live bullets are coming at him. Still hoping he can redeem himself this spring if he hasn’t already changed positions. The writing was on the wall, though, when they yanked him against JMU for a qb that can’t throw. God that game was a painful and slow death once Cam went down.

Griz Addict said:
LaJollaGriz said:

On what are you basing this statement? In your next sentence you admit Brown just can't do well under pressure or when he has to read the defense? That's the job!

SaskGriz said:
Griz Addict said:
On what are you basing this statement? In your next sentence you admit Brown just can't do well under pressure or when he has to read the defense? That's the job!

Brown's the guy that wins the passing competition for punt, pass, and kick. Unfortunately, he hasn't yet grasped the mental awareness and speed parts of being a div 1 qb.

He needs 1000s of reps using a simulator. Even if he improves that, he's still behind the 8 ball. He's not a fiery qb, that Hauck prefers. He's pretty even keeled from what I've been told. Meanwhile Hauck and Rosenbach like the more emotional, louder, tough guy quarterback.

Maybe, a change in communication style with Brown, by the staff would be beneficial?

SaskGriz said:
Griz Addict said:

I can relate. I’m a brilliant painter minus my god-awful brushstrokes.

AZGrizFan said:
Griz Addict said:

Brown had plenty of game time to prove himself up to the task. He got pulled in the biggest game of his life after going 1/5 with a sack. Whether he is QB1 or not has nothing to do with peoples’ opinions of Humphrey (good or bad).

Brown's completion percentage for the season was higher than Humphrey's, 65% to 60%. How do you explain that? How many first time QB starters in any program across the country would be criticized for having a 65% completion percentage? There are many senior starting QBs across the country who don't complete 65% of their passes. I love it how all of the experts on here write off a kid who has only started a few games in his career. You keep saying it was his third year in the system, but he got no playing time until this season. Cam played college football for six years, and started in many games in JC and at Montana. I hope you posters who have written off Brown eat your words. He is a great kid, and deserves to have the respect of people who claim to be Griz fans. The coaches will decide if he is the answer next season at QB, not you arm chair coaches

LaJollaGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Brown's completion percentage for the season was higher than Humphrey's, 65% to 60%. How do you explain that? How many first time QB starters in any program across the country would be criticized for having a 65% completion percentage? There are many senior starting QBs across the country who don't complete 65% of their passes. I love it how all of the experts on here write off a kid who has only started a few games in his career. You keep saying it was his third year in the system, but he got no playing time until this season. Cam played college football for six years, and started in many games in JC and at Montana. I hope you posters who have written off Brown eat your words. He is a great kid, and deserves to have the respect of people who claim to be Griz fans. The coaches will decide if he is the answer next season at QB, not you arm chair coaches
Relax Mr. Brown. ;)

Griz Addict said:
LaJollaGriz said:

There is one more thing that would help Brown, and sny young QB, which is calling more quick passing plays and 3-step drops to negate the rush. Brown proved many times last season that if given time he has a great arm and is accurate. I think our offense called way too many slow-developing pass plays last season, with both Cam and Brown, causing a lot of the sacks and incompletions. I am sure our offensive linemen would agree with this.

ilovethecats said:
LaJollaGriz said:
Relax Mr. Brown. ;)

I assure you that Brown would start for your team. One has to wonder why a Bobcat fan lurks on our site, making 6000 posts over his time on here. Pretty sad

LaJollaGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
Relax Mr. Brown. ;)

I assure you that Brown would start for your team. One has to wonder why a Bobcat fan lurks on our site, making 6000 posts over his time on here. Pretty sad
:cry:

Ouch. It's an entertaining board. If you want me band just PM the mods.

2nd, I'm not sure he would start for the Cats. I imagine he'd be in the mix though. He graduated with my son in high school and I'm on record saying I thought he'd be a good one for the gris. But he chose to go to Missoula so good or bad, he has to live with that decision.

Hope it works out for your son. I wouldn't write him off yet if I was a gris fan. :thumb:

Griz til I die said:
I agree this team has big potential next year. I know there's been a lot of people concerned about the O-line and I get it, but I'm kind of of the opinion that it was more about having all freshmen RB's and their inexperience as opposed to the O-line not being that great. Having a healthy Knight and Ostmo is going to make IMO a world of a difference in the offense and will take a weight off the O-line and QB's shoulders. I liked the post I saw a couple weeks ago (I think it was dayday) that said we could probably win 8 games alone just direct snapping the ball to Knight and Ostmo. Getting the second Mayginnes brother definitely helps, and I'm sure we'll end up getting one or two more guys on the line, but I really like the current makeup of this team with Knight back and Johnson at QB. The defense will just continue to be as dominant as it was last year.

There is a reason NFL running backs average less in salary than NFL punters and kickers...

It is not about the quality of the backs - it is the quality of the line. What will the excuse be next season?

While I agree with many of the comments and concerns about Brown's performance during the season, and I had the same feelings of disappointment during the season, I don't think people should give up on him. Yes, I thought he would look/play better. But, he was well-regarded by the coaches and Hauck coming into the season and looked good in practices. He has a nice arm. He's big. He can scramble if necessary. Maybe he's one of those guys who looks good in practice but isn't as good in games (hope not), but I believe he will do much better with more experience. I assume the SDS transfer QB will be the main guy next fall. Hopefully, he is more durable than Humphrey was.

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
I agree this team has big potential next year. I know there's been a lot of people concerned about the O-line and I get it, but I'm kind of of the opinion that it was more about having all freshmen RB's and their inexperience as opposed to the O-line not being that great. Having a healthy Knight and Ostmo is going to make IMO a world of a difference in the offense and will take a weight off the O-line and QB's shoulders. I liked the post I saw a couple weeks ago (I think it was dayday) that said we could probably win 8 games alone just direct snapping the ball to Knight and Ostmo. Getting the second Mayginnes brother definitely helps, and I'm sure we'll end up getting one or two more guys on the line, but I really like the current makeup of this team with Knight back and Johnson at QB. The defense will just continue to be as dominant as it was last year.

There is a reason NFL running backs average less in salary than NFL punters and kickers...

It is not about the quality of the backs - it is the quality of the line. What will the excuse be next season?
So you don't think having more experienced backs won't improve our run game next season? By the way, that wasn't an excuse, that was my personal opinion. I don't think the O-line was a bad as you are proclaiming it to be.

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Also, RE the NFL: Law of supply and demand. Once you get beyond the thin cream of truly special running backs, there's a big supply of good to near-great backs who can do a "serviceable" job in a modern NFL offense. In fact, the ability to catch passes and make good YAC may be the most important skill these days.

Back