• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2023 Griz Football Recruiting- (11)Verbals- (15)Offers- (1) 2024 Vebal

Da Boyz Mom said:
AZGrizFan said:
6’5”, 265 OL out of California:

https://twitter.com/cjefferson75/status/1578154831683821570?s=61&t=vEwTamzqEwyflyg2iIZq5Q

He has an offer from Jackson State. Not sure how Bobby stacks up against Deion Sanders lol.

If I had to guess, @coachprime will be departing Jackson St for one of the vacant FBS jobs next season.

Gonna have to break out the copper jerseys to watch this one:

https://twitter.com/shelton_mtn/status/1564760801604280320?s=20&t=ovAshvhD--Dqegiey6tErQ

grizfan1984 said:
Luke Anderson that we offered just committed
to msu and they just offered Cedric Jefferson

MSU offers WAY more guys than us in a completely different and I would argue more effective recruiting tactic. They throw a wide net and as a result land on a lot, minimize their misses on position groups like the Oline where perhaps if they whiff on one maybe they’ll hit on another. Meanwhile we cast a very narrow net with laser focus on certain players, and when we whiff we roll the dice on the transfer portal. As a result I’m worried we’re going to be having trouble landing any bigtime commits on the Oline, again.

Being in high schools and watching the recruiting process play out gives me a perspective that some don't. Not saying that its better, but definitely more moderated that is for sure.

A few years back, I saw first hand what happens when a kid all the rage at camps gets ghosted by programs because his skill level didn't continue to expand after the end of his sophomore year. He was offered a ton scholarships by group of 5 and some power 5 schools in his junior year, didn't play much at all after he transferred schools as a junior, and those offers weren't there come his senior year. I know that isn't the norm, but this idea of carpet bombing offers isn't exactly limited to football as both basketball and softball have employed the practice. Schools want to get in on the ground floor with recruits, they don't necessarily build relationships with the kids they offer, many just see the offers thrown a kid and there is a sense very commonly that there is nothing hurt by extending an offer. There is a FOMO principle to recruiting and it does give the feel at times that many of these kids are just cattle at auction. Just because a school offered, doesn't mean there is an intent to extend that offer when it matters or any interest by the kid.

From a high school student-athlete perspective, the process from a human standpoint is slimy and unseemly at a lot of points with a crap ton of ulterior motives not just by college coaches but those in advisory roles for the player. Honesty isn't always best practice and there are a lot of shiny things thrown around. In the end I'd default to whatever got the kid into the school that was the best fit for him or her, regardless of level or affiliation. I'm a bit jaded about the process and seeing kids shit on somewhat frequently doesn't help my perspective of the how the process plays out.

Bobby and even Stitt employed the policy that they were going to recruit kids in a tactical manner, and I think the proof is in the pudding. Montana has probably the deepest pool of talent we've had in a decade, replete with kids that are FBS caliber, and it has been the laser-sharp recruiting process of both Freshmen and transfers that have netted those gains. Lucas Johnson isn't here because Montana had an open position alone, but rather that Bobby had a relationship that brought him here. I think Bobby knows for the most part what he's getting in players and he's achieving that a bit differently than most. That doesn't make Bobby or his staff candidates for sainthood, but rather what he's doing is working because he's got a rather great track record at identifying talent and
getting them in the door and getting the most out of them.

Grizfan-24 said:
Being in high schools and watching the recruiting process play out gives me a perspective that some don't. Not saying that its better, but definitely more moderated that is for sure.

A few years back, I saw first hand what happens when a kid all the rage at camps gets ghosted by programs because his skill level didn't continue to expand after the end of his sophomore year. He was offered a ton scholarships by group of 5 and some power 5 schools in his junior year, didn't play much at all after he transferred schools as a junior, and those offers weren't there come his senior year. I know that isn't the norm, but this idea of carpet bombing offers isn't exactly limited to football as both basketball and softball have employed the practice. Schools want to get in on the ground floor with recruits, they don't necessarily build relationships with the kids they offer, many just see the offers thrown a kid and there is a sense very commonly that there is nothing hurt by extending an offer. There is a FOMO principle to recruiting and it does give the feel at times that many of these kids are just cattle at auction. Just because a school offered, doesn't mean there is an intent to extend that offer when it matters or any interest by the kid.

From a high school student-athlete perspective, the process from a human standpoint is slimy and unseemly at a lot of points with a crap ton of ulterior motives not just by college coaches but those in advisory roles for the player. Honesty isn't always best practice and there are a lot of shiny things thrown around. In the end I'd default to whatever got the kid into the school that was the best fit for him or her, regardless of level or affiliation. I'm a bit jaded about the process and seeing kids shit on somewhat frequently doesn't help my perspective of the how the process plays out.

Bobby and even Stitt employed the policy that they were going to recruit kids in a tactical manner, and I think the proof is in the pudding. Montana has probably the deepest pool of talent we've had in a decade, replete with kids that are FBS caliber, and it has been the laser-sharp recruiting process of both Freshmen and transfers that have netted those gains. Lucas Johnson isn't here because Montana had an open position alone, but rather that Bobby had a relationship that brought him here. I think Bobby knows for the most part what he's getting in players and he's achieving that a bit differently than most. That doesn't make Bobby or his staff candidates for sainthood, but rather what he's doing is working because he's got a rather great track record at identifying talent and

Thanks for sharing your perspective, GF24!

Grizfan-24 said:

Informative and thoughtful post, 24. I don't have enough knowledge to agree or disagree. I do remember hearing stories of Nebraska's recruiting practices in the 60s-70s where they would sign like 150 players knowing that a lot of them would never see the field just so other schools wouldn't get them. Before additional scholarship limits took effect, I suppose. I know you're talking offers, so it's not the same, but your post brought it to mind.

CDAGRIZ said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Informative and thoughtful post, 24. I don't have enough knowledge to agree or disagree. I do remember hearing stories of Nebraska's recruiting practices in the 60s-70s where they would sign like 150 players knowing that a lot of them would never see the field just so other schools wouldn't get them. Before additional scholarship limits took effect, I suppose. I know you're talking offers, so it's not the same, but your post brought it to mind.
As I mentioned in a previous thread, the Mousers' 2023 recruiting thread now lists 100 "known" offers! :shock: And the Griz list 19 offers at this time. 100 offers??? How can they even keep track of these kids? Probably not much of any personal relationships being nurtured with those numbers.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
grizfan1984 said:
Luke Anderson that we offered just committed
to msu and they just offered Cedric Jefferson

MSU offers WAY more guys than us in a completely different and I would argue more effective recruiting tactic. They throw a wide net and as a result land on a lot, minimize their misses on position groups like the Oline where perhaps if they whiff on one maybe they’ll hit on another. Meanwhile we cast a very narrow net with laser focus on certain players, and when we whiff we roll the dice on the transfer portal. As a result I’m worried we’re going to be having trouble landing any bigtime commits on the Oline, again.

They also do a good job of maintaining relationships with that wide net. I am a bigger fan of their recruiting plan than what we do. Not to say that we haven’t done well in some respects but We are losing too many battles recently.

Mousegriz said:
VimSince03 said:
Posted a time of 11.14 in the 100M as well as the best long jump in the state (22'6") his sophomore track season in 2021...at about 200 lbs. The explosiveness and speed translate to the football field where he plays QB and S for Great Falls High. Reed could really grow into any role at all three levels of a defense at either edge rusher, SAM/MIKE/WILL LB, or both safety spots. There's a reason why he's already getting full-ride interest plus an offer from Big 12 and PAC-12 schools.

Crazy he and his team garnered 1 (I think) first down and somewhere under 100 total yards in a playoff game vs. Sentinel this year. Taco Dowler hardly touched the ball a couple weeks later vs. Sentinel . I'd have expected both to make a couple plays totally on their own but they were truly and totally shut down. Zac Crews and "crew" were very good.

We’ve lost one to Princeton, and three to the Kitties. Every single other offer that’s taken a different alternative has gone FBS, with most going P5. We’re not losing many of the critical battles to peers….just maybe shooting a taaaaaad too high?

AZGrizFan said:
Mousegriz said:
Crazy he and his team garnered 1 (I think) first down and somewhere under 100 total yards in a playoff game vs. Sentinel this year. Taco Dowler hardly touched the ball a couple weeks later vs. Sentinel . I'd have expected both to make a couple plays totally on their own but they were truly and totally shut down. Zac Crews and "crew" were very good.

We’ve lost one to Princeton, and three to the Kitties. Every single other offer that’s taken a different alternative has gone FBS, with most going P5. We’re not losing many of the critical battles to peers….just maybe shooting a taaaaaad too high?

Are there examples of recruiting battles we’re winning?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Every one of our verbals have other options. Opitz and Oven and Hall are all big gets. Buehler will end up being a stud too.

HookedonGriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Every one of our verbals have other options. Opitz and Oven and Hall are all big gets. Buehler will end up being a stud too.

I’m not arguing that Opitz won’t be good, but his other options were all frontier league schools. I’m not sure I’d call that a recruiting “win”.

Paytonlives said:
Saturdays game might have cost UM this one...
https://twitter.com/80zj_/status/1581772883483058177

You really think so? Vandals offered him in March. We didn’t offer him until AUGUST.

I’m guessing a kid from Coeur d’Alene sees an up and coming program 90 miles from home and why not? I’m guessing ECK cost us this kid….if Petrino was still there he may have been a Griz.

https://twitter.com/tj_crandall/status/1582194646444572672

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13192380/61466a2732dc100ad86a94c4

grizfan1984 said:
https://twitter.com/tj_crandall/status/1582194646444572672

Another already commited kid, is the coaching staff expecting CSU not to honor their offer? or did the young man realize CSU is a dumpster fire and is still exploring his options?

Man why the hell can’t we get an Offensive lineman I was hoping for Sevy but seems all these guys go to bottom tier FBS teams ,all these offers out to OL and at this point I’d be suprised if we get any of them.

grizfan1984 said:
Man why the hell can’t we get an Offensive lineman I was hoping for Sevy but seems all these guys go to bottom tier FBS teams ,all these offers out to OL and at this point I’d be suprised if we get any of them.

OL/DL- Kai Sevy 6' 4" 275 (Corner Canyon HS) Farmington, UT 3-Star (New Mexico State)
OL/DL- Levi Currier 6' 5" 275 (Citrus CC) Covina, CA (UNLV)
OL/DL- Isaac Bunker 6' 4" 270 (Monroe HS) Monroe, WI (Navy)
OL/DL- Carson Rasmussen 6' 5" 296 (Owyhee HS) Meridan, ID (Boise St.)
OL- Jacob Anderson 6'6" 260 (Billings West) Billings, MT (Oregon State)
OL- Greg Johnson 6'5" 280 (Prior Lake HS) Prior Lake, MN (Minnesota)
OL- Josiah Timoteo 6' 4" 300 (Waianae HS) Waianae, HI (Hawaii)

Well, let’s see: The Minnesota guy went to Minnesota. The Hawaii guy went to Hawaii. The Idaho guy went to Boise State. Not a shocker amongst them. The kid from Montana went P5. One went to a military academy. That leaves NMSU and UNLV. 2/7

Back