• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Did poorgriz just quote himself??? I didn’t realize cats run in circles chasing their own tails as well as dogs do. 🤯

poorgriz said:
poorgriz said:
I never said I base someone's intelligence solely off the words they use. However, sorry some people don't get this but the way people talk, communicate, and use the English language does in fact say something about their intelligence level.

If someone walked up to you on the street and said, "Hey dude, mine car done quitted when I runned into that there pole, and my buddy done hitted his head in the window and busted it. Is you gonna help us?"..... are you telling me you wouldn't maybe do a little judging there about the guy's intelligence level?

Well you didn’t exactly specify that you judge intelligence off far more then just how someone speaks so it sounds like you’re using that as a main sign of intelligence.

well you get the idea. It just comes across as either a lack of intelligence, or un educated, or both.

All that said, some of the happiest people I know aren't very intelligent and might not have finished high school so what do I know!

Yes, from your example, I’d certainly say he wasn’t learned right in his speaking education and that he probably grew up a bit backwoodsy. I would certainly not think he was unintelligent though and probably very smart in many things that he does practice regularly, whatever those may be. Down here in the south, you meet a lot of people that way and that’s not a joke. One of my good friends quit school in the 6th grade and is widely regarded as one of the best carpenters by people that know him. He runs his own business, which is lucky for him cus he can’t get a job most places without a GED.

Guessing that someone is poorly educated in how they speak is probably safe but assuming they are not intelligent is very close minded, self righteous in your own education, and judgey. You should learn to do better.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/helenas-marcus-welnel-to-wear-no-37-legacy-jersey-for-montana-grizzlies/article_7ae53f5b-5670-557b-8659-6ee3dd5a7c5b.html

alabamagrizzly said:
... One of my good friends quit school in the 6th grade and is widely regarded as one of the best carpenters by people that know him. He runs his own business, which is lucky for him cus he can’t get a job most places without a GED.

Guessing that someone is poorly educated in how they speak is probably safe but assuming they are not intelligent is very close minded, self righteous in your own education, and judgey. You should learn to do better.
Way back in the day, I made some spare changed teaching "English as a first language." That is, teaching adults who made it past 30 or so without ever learning to read or write ... and who mostly spoke poorly. They were obviously pretty smart at coping (you'd be amazed). However, they had difficulty putting their ideas into words, much less coherent sentences. And, obviously, they couldn't write it down. With rare exceptions, our educational system does not do well on this problem. Even "community colleges" with many adult education programs seldom have anything for these people. (My bit was just a side project for a private tutoring service.)

But you never saw a more motivated bunch of students ... willing to put down hard-earned cash to join the mainstream. (Almost all men, BTW.) In my experience, they almost never talked a lot, knowing they would get odd looks and be blown off. A big sign of progress in the class was when the students began to have actual conversations. Just chatting about their day, what they did for a living, etc. For me, it was a huge breakthrough when they – "working stiffs" all, male or female – began to open up about their dreams and aspirations.

IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
... One of my good friends quit school in the 6th grade and is widely regarded as one of the best carpenters by people that know him. He runs his own business, which is lucky for him cus he can’t get a job most places without a GED.

Way back in the day, I made some spare changed teaching "English as a first language." That is, teaching adults who made it past 30 or so without ever learning to read or write ... and who mostly spoke poorly. They were obviously pretty smart at coping (you'd be amazed). However, they had difficulty putting their ideas into words, much less coherent sentences. And, obviously, they couldn't write it down. With rare exceptions, our educational system does not do well on this problem. Even "community colleges" with many adult education programs seldom have anything for these people. (My bit was just a side project for a private tutoring service.)

But you never saw a more motivated bunch of students ... willing to put down hard-earned cash to join the mainstream. (Almost all men, BTW.) In my experience, they almost never talked a lot, knowing they would get odd looks and be blown off. A big sign of progress in the class was when the students began to have actual conversations. Just chatting about their day, what they did for a living, etc. For me, it was a huge breakthrough when they – "working stiffs" all, male or female – began to open up about their dreams and aspirations.

Good share, and I’d bet some of them were pretty intelligent in their own ways despite not receiving a proper education or in my case, one individual field that I struggled to excel in despite excelling in many others. Now if I only had any initiative, just like every single teacher told my mom in parent/teacher conferences, I could’ve excelled in in school and got a degree. Instead my amazing work ethic and extremely quick learning skills has allowed me to excel to leadership in every manufacturing job I’ve had.

Back