• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Argument for Dumping halftime tailgating!

We have a stadium packed to the virtual rafters of the dome that D2 wants and people are worried about how it looks on TV when people don't return to their seats at the start of the 2nd half? Amazing! For most BSC games they try really hard not to show the stands to prevent the TV watchers from seeing the 3 or 4K people in a mostly empty stadium. I really don't understand people wanting to force other to think the way they do. If you buy into that philosophy then others could reasonably force you to see things their way. How about a no standing rule? That would certainly make everyone happy...

If you want people to stay then give them a reason. Selling beer would help. An entertaining half-time show would too. A lot of people (not me) think of half-time tailgating as a tradition. Damn tough to change that and legislating a particular solution is a great way to alienate a whole lot of paying customers. I can tell you that is no way to run a business.

Grizbeer said:
WaGriz4life said:
farawaygriz said:
I even talked to those around me during halftime about this. And it is not just a few, but thousands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only stadium in the country that does this

I have been to many, many, many former Southwest Conference and current SEC games, and the stands are almost completely full during halftime. I know for a fact that Texas A&M is 100% full during halftime because no one leaves to even take a leak until the Aggie Band has performed. That is as important to them as watching the game. If you don't believe me go to a game at Kyle Field and see for yourself.

On Saturday there were a lot of empty seats just ten minutes before the game started, and then instantly the stadium got full. Tailgating should be banded during halftime. Period.
They let you go to the tailgates at Arizona State
And Oregon. But that is probably a bad example because Oregon doesn't really have a loud crowd that affects the game, and really Oregon hasn't had much success over the last 15 years.

Maybe if Oregon and Montana stopped letting fans tailgate during 1/2 time they could start drawing bigger crowds and winning some games since those 2 things and tailgating at 1/2 time must be related.
Nice :thumb:

grizcountry420 said:
griz4life said:
If halftime tailgating ends, it won't be because of flat third quarter openers. It will be because the administration decides that things have gotten out of hand and the crowd will be easier controlled if it isn't so drunk. That fan altercation with an NDSU player probably has UM thinking about changes.

Right, cause heaven forbid that someone sneaks alcohol into the game..

:roll:
People sneak in alcohol!?!? The horror! :eek:

giphy.gif

griz=fun said:
Been a season ticket holder for about 10 years. Don't think the crowd makes that much of a difference, or shouldn't. Plus it's not like the players know the halftime crowd won't be back. Certainly, at times, the NEZ is loud enough to cause penalties, but less than we want. Plus you gotta cater to the paying customers. Most of them, I would guess, wouldn't like the idea. Less attendance, etc. I probably wouldn't make the 10 hours of drive time in a weekend, every weekend, without a little tailgate time.

Being said, I should probably do a better job at pounding those beers faster at halftime and get back to my seats. I did this last weekend, because that game was insane.

I know we ALL left our tailgate MUCH sooner than we normally do at the half to get back. It was too good to miss.

AllWeatherFan said:
Sell beer inside. If the university president can have beer in his box seats, everybody else should have the same rights as well. Plus, more money for the program.

Been saying that for years.

" may not be at the stadium, but on tv it seems, i'll take the FD atmosphere over WaGriz any day if nobody is there to start the 2nd half"

copy of some tweet

Grisly Fan said:
We have a stadium packed to the virtual rafters of the dome that D2 wants and people are worried about how it looks on TV when people don't return to their seats at the start of the 2nd half? Amazing! ....
I didn't start this thread. You people brag about the amazing "atmosphere" of a WaGriz football game, but then ignore a half-empty stadium while the TV cameras show a half-filled stadium, well into the 3d quarter? Oh, I get it, you're there to also visit w/ old friends, drink beer, etc. Many in this thread have already defined the argument: Are you there for the game or for your own entertainment, self over the game? What kind of fan are you?

Whom are you supporting? Yourself or the team, band, cheerleaders, and the entire show? Others have said, have your tailgates before & after the game, not during halftime. This is the University of Montana, after all. Show your support by keeping your butt in your seat from kickoff to final whistle. UM & the kids try to produce good pregame and halftime shows. Support them by at least being there for the effort. It's about UM, not you.

Grizzoola said:
Grisly Fan said:
We have a stadium packed to the virtual rafters of the dome that D2 wants and people are worried about how it looks on TV when people don't return to their seats at the start of the 2nd half? Amazing! ....
I didn't start this thread. You people brag about the amazing "atmosphere" of a WaGriz football game, but then ignore a half-empty stadium while the TV cameras show a half-filled stadium, well into the 3d quarter? Oh, I get it, you're there to also visit w/ old friends, drink beer, etc. Many in this thread have already defined the argument: Are you there for the game or for your own entertainment, self over the game? What kind of fan are you?

Whom are you supporting? Yourself or the team, band, cheerleaders, and the entire show? Others have said, have your tailgates before & after the game, not during halftime. This is the University of Montana, after all. Show your support by keeping your butt in your seat from kickoff to final whistle. UM & the kids try to produce good pregame and halftime shows. Support them by at least being there for the effort. It's about UM, not you.

Are you done? You're time is up!

Grizzoola said:

Do you live in any sort of reality?

grizcountry420 said:
Grizzoola said:
Grisly Fan said:

what this dude said. nobody should be able to tell me when i have to be in my seats. i tailgate at half-time and miss a couple minutes of the third. it doesn't affect you. if it affects the team, then that is a weakness they need to address. i'll do what i want with the seat i paid for. when you pay for my seat, you can dictate the terms of my attendance to me. i don't give a sh!t if it looks "bad" to someone watching on TV. i don't go to the games to show the world that we are committed to 60 minutes of support vs. 55 minutes.

sell beer in the stadium? yeah.... i'm really looking forward to paying $5 for 12 oz domestics and $7-8 for a decent beer. no thanks.

I used to go out at the half but almost always made it back before the kickoff. Anymore, its just too much of a hassle so I don't leave the confines. In the perfect world … we should continue to allow halftime tailgating while also selling beer within the stadium … at least through halftime as has already been suggested.

statler & waldorf said:
Solution: Tailgating BEFORE and AFTER the game. Halftime is only 20 minutes, and traffic is tied up for at least a half hour after the game.

There is no need for a solution...

Looks like only a couple egriz posters admit to leaving the stadium to drink during halftime, yet 40,000 claim to have been there for the game. Sure it's a free country - but its a slap in the face to the players and the team to not be in your seats when kickoff happens at beginning of the 2nd. IMO those that do, are there much more for the party, the in-crowd, the booze, the food, etc - than they are for the game. You spend 100s for a ticket then you go to tailgate at halftime? Here's an idea, stay in the tailgate the whole game, and let one of the other 40,000 they claimed to be there, and wanted to be there for THE GAME go in your place.

smarsh said:
grizcountry420 said:
Grizzoola said:
Grisly Fan said:

what this dude said. nobody should be able to tell me when i have to be in my seats. i tailgate at half-time and miss a couple minutes of the third. it doesn't affect you. if it affects the team, then that is a weakness they need to address. i'll do what i want with the seat i paid for. when you pay for my seat, you can dictate the terms of my attendance to me. i don't give a sh!t if it looks "bad" to someone watching on TV. i don't go to the games to show the world that we are committed to 60 minutes of support vs. 55 minutes.

sell beer in the stadium? yeah.... i'm really looking forward to paying $5 for 12 oz domestics and $7-8 for a decent beer. no thanks.

Stay home and drink....you're obviously not a fan of the Grizzlies, but a fan of the party.

ordigger said:
Looks like only a couple egriz posters admit to leaving the stadium to drink during halftime, yet 40,000 claim to have been there for the game. Sure it's a free country - but its a slap in the face to the players and the team to not be in your seats when kickoff happens at beginning of the 2nd. IMO those that do, are there much more for the party, the in-crowd, the booze, the food, etc - than they are for the game. You spend 100s for a ticket then you go to tailgate at halftime? Here's an idea, stay in the tailgate the whole game, and let one of the other 40,000 they claimed to be there, and wanted to be there for THE GAME go in your place.

Seriously, people are watching the game on TV in the parking lot. I guess I just don't get it, 'cause that seems really weird

ordigger said:
So "Sure it's a free country" actually translates into you can do what you want as long as it is ok with me. Laughable.

ordigger said:
smarsh said:
grizcountry420 said:

Stay home and drink....you're obviously not a fan of the Grizzlies, but a fan of the party.

oya1.gif

Back