• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky teasing us

Ursa Major said:
I’m wondering if that graphic they created to “announce” “the announcement” took up 33% or 40% of the conference’s annual advertising budget?

:thumb: :lol: :lol: :lol:

get'em_griz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
I'd be very surprised if that game didn't show up when ESPN highlights their "rivalry weekend" thing. Brent Musburger is semi-retired now (as I understand it), but he's apparently still a consultant for ESPN/ABC ... and he'd surely put in a strong plug for that game. I have not looked at every team's schedule, so it's hard to guess what the other might be. If the contract allows it, I'd guess the other broadcast would be a play-up game to draw some of the FBS audience. The Sac State at Cal in the third week might be a candidate.

Keep in mind, ROOT Sports will still be broadcasting conference football games which means any Griz game that ROOT Sports broadcasts will not be on ESPN+. This would most likely include the Cat/Griz game. ESPN+ is essentially doing the same thing that PLUTO TV did. It is my understanding that ESPN+ will only stream the games that are not picked up by ROOT Sports.
Correct! ESPN+ will likely pick up SWX's feed from the games they televise. The only games ESPN will produce are the 2 that will be on ESPNU and of course those games will also be picked up by ESPN+. Here's a tidbit that many of you may not know, Root Sports actually has a live app. The problem though is last time I checked they do not list Spectrum as one of their TV providers for whatever reason so it honestly is kind of pointless unless they finally added Spectrum. Root Sports does a great job of producing the games but very few OTT's actually have Root Sports, hence why I haven't cut the cord yet.

Griz til I die said:
get'em_griz said:
Keep in mind, ROOT Sports will still be broadcasting conference football games which means any Griz game that ROOT Sports broadcasts will not be on ESPN+. This would most likely include the Cat/Griz game. ESPN+ is essentially doing the same thing that PLUTO TV did. It is my understanding that ESPN+ will only stream the games that are not picked up by ROOT Sports.
Correct! ESPN+ will likely pick up SWX's feed from the games they televise. The only games ESPN will produce are the 2 that will be on ESPNU and of course those games will also be picked up by ESPN+. Here's a tidbit that many of you may not know, Root Sports actually has a live app. The problem though is last time I checked they do not list Spectrum as one of their TV providers for whatever reason so it honestly is kind of pointless unless they finally added Spectrum. Root Sports does a great job of producing the games but very few OTT's actually have Root Sports, hence why I haven't cut the cord yet.

Yeah, we now have to pay $6 for the same type of service that was free with PLUTO TV. I really wish ROOT Sports would allow a subscription option for streaming games on their app! That would solve a lot of the "Cable provider" issues.

kemajic said:
Yukon said:
Just noticed ESPN+ bumped up to $6/month. Was $5. Still a great deal to watch the big sky and others.
If you're blessed with streaming-capable ISP availability, which much of MT does not have.

As I understand it, this shouldn’t impact local stations in broadcasting the games over the air or thru a cable provider. They will still produce the product and air it as they have in the past.

The only change is exchanging Pluto for ESPN +.

get'em_griz said:
Griz til I die said:

Yeah, we now have to pay $6 for the same type of service that was free with PLUTO TV. I really wish ROOT Sports would allow a subscription option for streaming games on their app! That would solve a lot of the "Cable provider" issues.
And I liked Pluto because it was free. Careful what you wish for. For me, I'm happy about the move because I've been wanting to get ESPN+ for a while and I now have a reason to do so. I think it's worth the $6 a month. The only thing in this whole deal that I'm a little disappointed by is 1 regular season game on ESPNU for men's basketball. I think they could've negotiated a few more so that's disappointing, but maybe they'll up the number of games if they get good ratings. I did read on bobcatnation that one of their posters messaged deputy commissioner Dan Satter and ask if ESPN+ would pick up the feed for the Root sports games and he said that's TBD. If they do end up picking up the Root games then I would say overall this deal is a major win.

kemajic said:
Yukon said:
Just noticed ESPN+ bumped up to $6/month. Was $5. Still a great deal to watch the big sky and others.
If you're blessed with streaming-capable ISP availability, which much of MT does not have.

Yea, I have fiber. ;)

Yukon said:
kemajic said:
Yea, I have fiber. ;)
Still waiting for fiber to show up. You'd think that with a national lab here (the Idaho National Lab), Idaho Falls would have the latest tech. Still waiting (the city claims they're working on it).

We finally re-signed for cable-based Internet (internal and external hardware was still in place). Not too pricey and pretty good for bandwidth (very good for streaming). Be interesting to see how long this lasts.

mtgrizfankb said:
Griz til I die said:
Cats board says we’re moving to ESPN+, which does us absolutely no good if the production doesn’t get better. That’ll make it worse honestly cause then we’ll have to pay for the shit product.

Many people don’t understand this. ESPN literally just picks up the local feed or university broadcast. The Griz home games will be easier to stream for out of state…ME. But away games are going to be just as shitty of a broadcast. Same style of broadcasts we get for basketball games

At least we will get the feed though. Half the time the other things like pluto dont even have the bandwidth to handle the amount of people that want to watch. ESPN will have that at least.

From what I understand, all Big Sky schools have to meet ESPN's standards for the broadcast and I've heard the BSC has money to help with that for the schools that need it.

Ursa Major said:
kemajic said:

As I understand it, this shouldn’t impact local stations in broadcasting the games over the air or thru a cable provider. They will still produce the product and air it as they have in the past.

My point, the only advantage of the change is for streaming viewers which excludes a lot of MT fans.

kemajic said:
Ursa Major said:

My point, the only advantage of the change is for streaming viewers which excludes a lot of MT fans.

So, it benefits many and hurts nobody. I dig it.

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:

So, it benefits many and hurts nobody. I dig it.
ESPN +, not available in Canada, so it's almost a victimless crime. :roll: :lol:

Griz til I die said:
get'em_griz said:
Good point - I am in the same boat, but is it sinking!

IDK if Colter misspoke or if he is actually right but he said on his show last night that ESPNU will televise 2 games for each team each year. I thought it was just 2 total games. Can anyone provide clarification on this, cause if that's the case then this is a great deal.

GrizTexas said:
Griz til I die said:
The press release on gogriz.com says that Root Sports will continue to be a broadcast partner as well. SWX and the other teams local networks can still televise the games not picked up by ESPNU or Root Sports. All of the streaming will move away from Pluto and over to ESPN+ for $6 a month. If you've ever watched a MVFC game on ESPN+ you'll see with NDSU for example that ESPN+ just picks up the feed of the MIDCO sports production, which is basically North Dakota's version of SWX. With regards to Altitude, I would assume that whatever games SWX ends up televising, Altitude will continue to try and pick up their feed. Make sense?

It does make sense, I currently pay for a TV package that carries Altitude so I pick up about half the Griz games here in Texas, Unfortunately it comes with a lot of baggage and cost so getting rid of it would be great. I guess is the ESPN+ package this year, that or just bite the bullet and get season tickets and fly to Montana 6 times in the fall!

By far, the best option! :thumb:

MikeyGriz said:
GrizTexas said:
It does make sense, I currently pay for a TV package that carries Altitude so I pick up about half the Griz games here in Texas, Unfortunately it comes with a lot of baggage and cost so getting rid of it would be great. I guess is the ESPN+ package this year, that or just bite the bullet and get season tickets and fly to Montana 6 times in the fall!

By far, the best option! :thumb:

And one I am seriously considering. :coffee: :coffee:

PeauxRouge said:
From what I understand, all Big Sky schools have to meet ESPN's standards for the broadcast and I've heard the BSC has money to help with that for the schools that need it.

This is what I have heard, and what is normal standard practice in the industry. MHSA went with NFHS to broadcast games online in Montana. Every AA school (maybe A,B,and C as well but I don't know that for sure) had to purchase special cameras that were put up in every gym and stadium for this. I believe is was around $10,000 for each school. It wasn't a "You can if you want" it was mandatory. The local radio announcers then have to plug into that system to broadcast the audio for the feed.

Griz til I die said:
IDK if Colter misspoke or if he is actually right but he said on his show last night that ESPNU will televise 2 games for each team each year. I thought it was just 2 total games. Can anyone provide clarification on this, cause if that's the case then this is a great deal.

I thought the same as you when I read the press release (that 2 football and 1 basketball game per year was for entire conference). Also, I wonder how this will affect soccer and softball streaming options since it only specifically mentions football and basketball in the press release.

Back