• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobby - on paper

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Lots of folks wanting a change and wanting UM to move on from Coach Hauck. I posted this in another thread, but that is going to be very difficult for UM to do. If you look at all of this objectively, Bobby on paper:

- he is 36-17 (68%) overall with two 10 win seasons
- been to playoffs 3 of 4 years here
- quarterfinals twice
- team high gpa (yes it matters greatly what kids are doing in the classroom)
- no kids getting in trouble (a very huge deal if you recall the backlash when he was hired)
- fundraising at an all time high (qb club up over 400 members since his return)
- more facilities like the indoor practice bubble being built

Most Athletic Depts would love to have all of that and would be thrilled with those results. I have a feeling the UM is pretty happy with it too.

Personally, I have no problem with Hauck staying. I think he definitely needs to shake up some coaching, specially around the offense and OL which has been our biggest issue for years now. He can definitely improve in some areas, but I’ve also learned the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. We are a pretty spoiled fan base for the most part. We all just want to win and there is a lot of passion for the Griz, no doubt.

Agreed. While some of the surrounding coaching cast might need some adjustments, Hauck is not going anywhere, nor should he, and rational fans know that.

Stitt on paper we just as good if not better, I don’t believe Stitt ever lost 3 straight or ever took 6th in the Big Sky. Bobby won’t get fired because he is the Alpha of Griz athletics, Haslam is just as scared of Bobby as the media is.

41>37 said:
Stitt on paper we just as good if not better, I don’t believe Stitt ever lost 3 straight or ever took 6th in the Big Sky. Bobby won’t get fired because he is the Alpha of Griz athletics, Haslam is just as scared of Bobby as the media is.

Stitt took the program down, out of the playoffs, and out of the top 30. Hauck brought the program back up, quickly. What planet are you from? First step might be opening your eyes. Except for some Hauck Haters and dummies on egriz, no one agrees with you. Stitt didn't have another coaching job for one minute, after he was not renewed at UM.

mthoopsfan said:
41>37 said:

Stitt took the program down, out of the playoffs, and out of the top 30. Hauck brought the program back up, quickly. What planet are you from? First step might be opening your eyes. Except for some Hauck Haters and dummies on egriz, no one agrees with you. Stitt didn't have another coaching job for one minute, after he was not renewed at UM.
So do you think the griz football program is on the upswing? Do you think that this team lived up to expectations this year? Do you think the griz will be better next year?

41>37 said:
Yeah, you're right, he never got 6th, but he did tie for 5th in 2017 at 5-3, and finished 1-4 in his last 5 games with three losses to unranked teams to get 8th in 2016 with a 3-5 conference record.

But yeah, "better".

mthoopsfan said:
41>37 said:

Actually he did. He was OC/QB at Texas State. He’s also not coaching by choice. He’s had a couple of offers.

mthoopsfan said:
41>37 said:

I really don't understand the whole "you finished 6th in the conference" statement when it's actually pretty damn easy to land just about anywhere in the standings when you have an unbalanced conference schedule between every conference member...

Like I said. I’m not unhappy with Hauck. But he needs to show the intelligence to change some coaches below him.

If he does t do that and we keep down this path I don’t think he deserves another chance. Nobody does. Fix the problems or get out of the way.

ordigger said:
mthoopsfan said:

Actually he did. He was OC/QB at Texas State. He’s also not coaching by choice. He’s had a couple of offers.

You are correct on 1 year at Texas St after his one year analyst job. I had forgotten that. Thx.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Like I said. I’m not unhappy with Hauck. But he needs to show the intelligence to change some coaches below him.

If he does t do that and we keep down this path I don’t think he deserves another chance. Nobody does. Fix the problems or get out of the way.

“Deserves another chance”? That’s pretty funny.

Try “UM is fortunate to have him”.

BadlandsGrizFan said:

cliff-booth.gif

mthoopsfan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

“Deserves another chance”? That’s pretty funny.

Try “UM is fortunate to have him”.

How about you fuck off in telling me what I should think about the situation. I give money to the program…I’m a part of the QB club just like you. I’ve sat in the same meetings you have and stared at the bottom of your chin for an hour when you log in remotely because you’re an old man and don’t know how to properly set up for an online meeting. Probably never played the game

I’ve been a Hauck supporter both first and second time around. But if he doesn’t make changes and get this program back to competing for championships like the Cats are…why do we owe him anything? This job isn’t a retirement plan funded by citizens.

HookedonGriz said:
Lots of folks wanting a change and wanting UM to move on from Coach Hauck. I posted this in another thread, but that is going to be very difficult for UM to do. If you look at all of this objectively, Bobby on paper:

- he is 36-17 (68%) overall with two 10 win seasons
- been to playoffs 3 of 4 years here
- quarterfinals twice
- team high gpa (yes it matters greatly what kids are doing in the classroom)
- no kids getting in trouble (a very huge deal if you recall the backlash when he was hired)
- fundraising at an all time high (qb club up over 400 members since his return)
- more facilities like the indoor practice bubble being built

Most Athletic Depts would love to have all of that and would be thrilled with those results. I have a feeling the UM is pretty happy with it too.

Personally, I have no problem with Hauck staying. I think he definitely needs to shake up some coaching, specially around the offense and OL which has been our biggest issue for years now. He can definitely improve in some areas, but I’ve also learned the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. We are a pretty spoiled fan base for the most part. We all just want to win and there is a lot of passion for the Griz, no doubt.

I agree with you. You make good points.

I would add:

-He is a Montana guy
-He has great connections with high school coaches across the Northwest
-He is is a fine public speaker
-He has led us to championships

get'em_griz said:
mthoopsfan said:

I really don't understand the whole "you finished 6th in the conference" statement when it's actually pretty damn easy to land just about anywhere in the standings when you have an unbalanced conference schedule between every conference member...
Like I said in another thread, we went 3-1 against similar opponents MSU had, and 3-1 against the same opponents Idaho had. They missed Idaho and Sac, and Weber and MSU, respectively, and had they played those schools, someone's taking those 4 losses, making their conference standings worse as a result. We're also the only team that had to play the top 3 teams in the conference all on the road.

TBF, we also missed UC Davis, which would've been another tough game, who also had it awful by being the only other team aside from us and EWU that had to play every one of the top 4.

There's no excuses for not winning those games, but comparing conference records between teams that had much easier schedules and outright missed multiple top teams is silly. Against a similar schedule, Idaho goes 4-4, just like we did, and against the cats' schedule, we likely go 6-2. It's a broken conference, but there's no real way to fix it, aside from kicking teams out.

uofmman1122 said:
get'em_griz said:
Like I said in another thread, we went 3-1 against similar opponents MSU had, and 3-1 against the same opponents Idaho had. They missed Idaho and Sac, and Weber and MSU, respectively, and had they played those schools, someone's taking those 4 losses, making their conference standings worse as a result. We're also the only team that had to play the top 3 teams in the conference all on the road.

TBF, we also missed UC Davis, which would've been another tough game, who also had it awful by being the only other team aside from us and EWU that had to play every one of the top 4.

There's no excuses for not winning those games, but comparing conference records between teams that had much easier schedules and outright missed multiple top teams is silly. Against a similar schedule, Idaho goes 4-4, just like we did, and against the cats' schedule, we likely go 6-2. It's a broken conference, but there's no real way to fix it, aside from kicking teams out.

They could at least divide the conference in half like the Big Ten or SEC does.

indian-outlaw said:
mthoopsfan said:
So do you think the griz football program is on the upswing? Do you think that this team lived up to expectations this year? Do you think the griz will be better next year?

Yes, the Griz program is clearly on the upswing, and was as soon as Hauck returned. See my prior post. No, the season didn't turn out to be as good as the players, coaches or fans expected. The main reason is because the no. 1 QB got hurt in a dirty targeting at SS. With Johnson healthy, UM would have beaten SS and Weber. Also would have beaten SS even with only the late bad call being called correctly.

Lost 2 important games, which impacted the rest of the season and seedings. In retrospect, the season soured after Johnson went out at SS, he missed games and practice time, and he started getting other injuries. I wonder if the lack of practice and conditioning played into the injuries. I thought the team still might be able to overcome Johnson's missing SS/Weber, and the losses, but his further injuries and some poor play by the team, including the D in 1.5 games, were too much to overcome. It happens sometime. Yes, it would have been nice if the back-up qb's had played better. It was clear in the last game that Britt is not ready yet either. His 3d quarter was bad and could have been worse (more picks). At least, that shut up most of the put-in-Britt complainers.

While poor execution at MSU and NDSU caused some big problems, I assume the coaches and schemes could have been better too. Against NDSU, UM did pack the box, bring 4 to the line and play 4 linebackers at times. While the team played hard and never gave up, I wonder if knowingJohnson would not be able to play in the second half in the last game, had some psychological impact on the D, and O. Not saying it did, but it occurred to me and a parent mentioned it. The coaches were too aggressive late in the first half in the last game. We didn't need to be. Even doing what was done in the early plays, there was certainly no reason to call another pass play after Johnson had been sacked on the prior play. We were in the game and had enough momentum. The Bison kept goofing up our field position.

I think the Griz will be more successful next year. This year's team was very very good. Just had bad breaks and the key injuries, combined with some mistakes against very good teams. Too bad. Missed opportunity.

The Griz need to fills some holes, including QB and secondary, through development or transfer. Perhaps other positions too. With 4 returning starters including 2 all-conference players, and considerable younger depth, the o-line should be very good. And more d-line players and depth too. But there is a terrific core of returning starters, guys who played a lot, and young guys. In this day and age, I think a top team needs a great qb who is available for all games, unless there is also a great back-up. The Cats have that double qb combo.
The Cats wouldn't be where they are this year, without having at least one of those qb's for every game.

As I said, this season was a missed opportunity. While I am always optimistic, I see no reason not to be optimistic for next year. Hauck and his coaching staff are very strong, and competitive, overall. Go Griz!

mthoopsfan said:
indian-outlaw said:

Yes, the Griz program is clearly on the upswing, and was as soon as Hauck returned. See my prior post. No, the season didn't turn out to be as good as the players, coaches or fans expected. The main reason is because the no. 1 QB got hurt in a dirty targeting at SS. With Johnson healthy, UM would have beaten SS and Weber. Also would have beaten SS even with only the late bad call being called correctly.

Lost 2 important games, which impacted the rest of the season and seedings. In retrospect, the season soured after Johnson went out at SS, he missed games and practice time, and he started getting other injuries. I wonder if the lack of practice and conditioning played into the injuries. I thought the team still might be able to overcome Johnson's missing SS/Weber, and the losses, but his further injuries and some poor play by the team, including the D in 1.5 games, were too much to overcome. It happens sometime. Yes, it would have been nice if the back-up qb's had played better. It was clear in the last game that Britt is not ready yet either. His 3d quarter was bad and could have been worse (more picks). At least, that shut up most of the put-in-Britt complainers.

While poor execution at MSU and NDSU caused some big problems, I assume the coaches and schemes could have been better too. Against NDSU, UM did pack the box, bring 4 to the line and play 4 linebackers at times. While the team played hard and never gave up, I wonder if knowingJohnson would not be able to play in the second half in the last game, had some psychological impact on the D, and O. Not saying it did, but it occurred to me and a parent mentioned it. The coaches were too aggressive late in the first half in the last game. We didn't need to be. Even doing what was done in the early plays, there was certainly no reason to call another pass play after Johnson had been sacked on the prior play. We were in the game and had enough momentum. The Bison kept goofing up our field position.

I think the Griz will be more successful next year. This year's team was very very good. Just had bad breaks and the key injuries, combined with some mistakes against very good teams. Too bad. Missed opportunity.

The Griz need to fills some holes, including QB and secondary, through development or transfer. Perhaps other positions too. With 4 returning starters including 2 all-conference players, and considerable younger depth, the o-line should be very good. And more d-line players and depth too. But there is a terrific core of returning starters, guys who played a lot, and young guys. In this day and age, I think a top team needs a great qb who is available for all games, unless there is also a great back-up. The Cats have that double qb combo.
The Cats wouldn't be where they are this year, without having at least one of those qb's for every game.

As I said, this season was a missed opportunity. While I am always optimistic, I see no reason not to be optimistic for next year. Hauck and his coaching staff are very strong, and competitive, overall. Go Griz!

I generally agree with you. The team had some tough breaks. Going to Fargo in the playoffs and coming away with a win is a tall order for anyone.

41>37 said:
37 (35 years) >>>>>>>> 41 (2 years). Very slow copying.

Back