• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobby - on paper

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
Yeah, you're right, he never got 6th, but he did tie for 5th in 2017 at 5-3, and finished 1-4 in his last 5 games with three losses to unranked teams to get 8th in 2016 with a 3-5 conference record.

But yeah, "better".

Bobby’s record the last 8 games? 3-5. :|
Yeah that's not great, but to say Stitt's record was "better" is just plain false, which was my point.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bobby’s record the last 8 games? 3-5. :|
Yeah that's not great, but to say Stitt's record was "better" is just plain false, which was my point.

Bobby 16-8 in conference last three years. Stitt 14-10. Pure brilliance on display,, for sure. :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Bobby 16-8 in conference last three years. Stitt 14-10. Pure brilliance on display,, for sure. :lol: :lol:

Did you count the 2 spring season wins over conference teams?

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

I don't get why you're assuming I'm trying to carry water for Hauck here. I'm telling you facts about our last two coaches.

Stitt was 1-2 against dogshit cat teams that went 14-23, while two of Bobby's 3 losses (and his win) came when the cats were one of the best teams in FCS, going 34-7.

All 8 of Bobby's conference losses in the last 3 years were to teams that made the playoffs, while 6 of the teams Stitt lost to didn't make the playoffs, and 5 finished with losing records.

I hate where we are right now just as much as you do, but to suggest these tenures are anything close to similar is just laughably untrue.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
I don't get why you're assuming I'm trying to carry water for Hauck here. I'm telling you facts about our last two coaches.

Stitt was 1-2 against dogshit cat teams that went 14-23, while two of Bobby's 3 losses (and his win) came when the cats were one of the best teams in FCS, going 34-7.

All 8 of Bobby's conference losses in the last 3 years were to teams that made the playoffs, while 6 of the teams Stitt lost to didn't make the playoffs, and 5 finished with losing records.

I hate where we are right now just as much as you do, but to suggest these tenures are anything close to similar is just laughably untrue.

I’m not assuming that at all. Just spittin’ facts, bro.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Did you count the 2 spring season wins over conference teams?

You mean the exhibition games?

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Yeah, and the fact is that our current coach has done an objectively better job than the previous one did.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Yeah, and the fact is that our current coach has done an objectively better job than the previous one did.

What I’m wondering is are you satisfied with 2 games better in conference in years 3/4/5? Is that what we upended the program for?

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

What I’m wondering is are you satisfied with 2 games better in conference in years 3/4/5? Is that what we upended the program for?
I'm not happy, but there seems to be enough evidence to me to to suggest Stitt would have done even worse against more, stronger Big Sky teams and a much stronger MSU out East. This all started with someone saying Stitt's record was better, which is a lie.

If you want to talk about the possibility we hired the wrong guy in Bobby after Stitt, that's a different conversation.

mthoopsfan said:
indian-outlaw said:
So do you think the griz football program is on the upswing? Do you think that this team lived up to expectations this year? Do you think the griz will be better next year?

Yes, the Griz program is clearly on the upswing, and was as soon as Hauck returned. See my prior post. No, the season didn't turn out to be as good as the players, coaches or fans expected. The main reason is because the no. 1 QB got hurt in a dirty targeting at SS. With Johnson healthy, UM would have beaten SS and Weber. Also would have beaten SS even with only the late bad call being called correctly.

Lost 2 important games, which impacted the rest of the season and seedings. In retrospect, the season soured after Johnson went out at SS, he missed games and practice time, and he started getting other injuries. I wonder if the lack of practice and conditioning played into the injuries. I thought the team still might be able to overcome Johnson's missing SS/Weber, and the losses, but his further injuries and some poor play by the team, including the D in 1.5 games, were too much to overcome. It happens sometime. Yes, it would have been nice if the back-up qb's had played better. It was clear in the last game that Britt is not ready yet either. His 3d quarter was bad and could have been worse (more picks). At least, that shut up most of the put-in-Britt complainers.

While poor execution at MSU and NDSU caused some big problems, I assume the coaches and schemes could have been better too. Against NDSU, UM did pack the box, bring 4 to the line and play 4 linebackers at times. While the team played hard and never gave up, I wonder if knowingJohnson would not be able to play in the second half in the last game, had some psychological impact on the D, and O. Not saying it did, but it occurred to me and a parent mentioned it. The coaches were too aggressive late in the first half in the last game. We didn't need to be. Even doing what was done in the early plays, there was certainly no reason to call another pass play after Johnson had been sacked on the prior play. We were in the game and had enough momentum. The Bison kept goofing up our field position.

I think the Griz will be more successful next year. This year's team was very very good. Just had bad breaks and the key injuries, combined with some mistakes against very good teams. Too bad. Missed opportunity.

The Griz need to fills some holes, including QB and secondary, through development or transfer. Perhaps other positions too. With 4 returning starters including 2 all-conference players, and considerable younger depth, the o-line should be very good. And more d-line players and depth too. But there is a terrific core of returning starters, guys who played a lot, and young guys. In this day and age, I think a top team needs a great qb who is available for all games, unless there is also a great back-up. The Cats have that double qb combo.
The Cats wouldn't be where they are this year, without having at least one of those qb's for every game.

As I said, this season was a missed opportunity. While I am always optimistic, I see no reason not to be optimistic for next year. Hauck and his coaching staff are very strong, and competitive, overall. Go Griz!

Poor reasoning, IMHO. No coach should be immune from circumstances every coach faces. MSU had a passel of player turnover from last year and injuries this year and still thrived. With guys whispering your style of praise in his ear why would Bobby honestly and deeply evaluate his staff. And from the stands, this team looked liked Stitt's team that quit on him. Not good.

Why are we comparing Hauck and Stitt?
Why don't we compare Hauck and Vigen?

MSU arguably lost way more significant players to graduation than UM. Their best running back in a long time was out for the season. They play quite a few Montanans - Tommy being the most significant.

Maybe UM should see what's out there. This was the most disappointing and embarrassing season this forever fan can remember.

grizzpa said:

MSU arguably lost way more significant players to graduation than UM. Their best running back in a long time was out for the season. They play quite a few Montanans - Tommy being the most significant.

Maybe UM should see what's out there. This was the most disappointing and embarrassing season this forever fan can remember.

Yep. 5 years in and Vigen has far surpassed Bobby in year two. As have Eck at Idaho and Taylor at Sac State. Honestly, how long should ANY coach reasonably be given?

grizzpa said:

In 2012, under Delaney, UM was 5-6. I think that was worse.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Why are you focusing on conference games and not playoff games, playoff wins, and end-of-season ranking? Who cares about conference ranking in an uneven conference in a conference that gets 5 teams in the playoffs and 2 seeds (this year)? Do you not understand the difference between top 8 finishes (a bit below that this year) and out of the top 30? I like you, AZ. but you truly focus on some of the dumbest things and make some really dumb comments.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
I mean these 2 games on the 20-21 schedule. One was not conference.

https://gogriz.com/sports/football/schedule/2020-21

Right. The exhibition games. :thumb:

Where does it say they were exhibition games? Even if they were, they were still games, and they were wins.

horribilisfan8184 said:
mthoopsfan said:
Yes, the Griz program is clearly on the upswing, and was as soon as Hauck returned. See my prior post. No, the season didn't turn out to be as good as the players, coaches or fans expected. The main reason is because the no. 1 QB got hurt in a dirty targeting at SS. With Johnson healthy, UM would have beaten SS and Weber. Also would have beaten SS even with only the late bad call being called correctly.

Lost 2 important games, which impacted the rest of the season and seedings. In retrospect, the season soured after Johnson went out at SS, he missed games and practice time, and he started getting other injuries. I wonder if the lack of practice and conditioning played into the injuries. I thought the team still might be able to overcome Johnson's missing SS/Weber, and the losses, but his further injuries and some poor play by the team, including the D in 1.5 games, were too much to overcome. It happens sometime. Yes, it would have been nice if the back-up qb's had played better. It was clear in the last game that Britt is not ready yet either. His 3d quarter was bad and could have been worse (more picks). At least, that shut up most of the put-in-Britt complainers.

While poor execution at MSU and NDSU caused some big problems, I assume the coaches and schemes could have been better too. Against NDSU, UM did pack the box, bring 4 to the line and play 4 linebackers at times. While the team played hard and never gave up, I wonder if knowingJohnson would not be able to play in the second half in the last game, had some psychological impact on the D, and O. Not saying it did, but it occurred to me and a parent mentioned it. The coaches were too aggressive late in the first half in the last game. We didn't need to be. Even doing what was done in the early plays, there was certainly no reason to call another pass play after Johnson had been sacked on the prior play. We were in the game and had enough momentum. The Bison kept goofing up our field position.

I think the Griz will be more successful next year. This year's team was very very good. Just had bad breaks and the key injuries, combined with some mistakes against very good teams. Too bad. Missed opportunity.

The Griz need to fills some holes, including QB and secondary, through development or transfer. Perhaps other positions too. With 4 returning starters including 2 all-conference players, and considerable younger depth, the o-line should be very good. And more d-line players and depth too. But there is a terrific core of returning starters, guys who played a lot, and young guys. In this day and age, I think a top team needs a great qb who is available for all games, unless there is also a great back-up. The Cats have that double qb combo.
The Cats wouldn't be where they are this year, without having at least one of those qb's for every game.

As I said, this season was a missed opportunity. While I am always optimistic, I see no reason not to be optimistic for next year. Hauck and his coaching staff are very strong, and competitive, overall. Go Griz!

Poor reasoning, IMHO. No coach should be immune from circumstances every coach faces. MSU had a passel of player turnover from last year and injuries this year and still thrived. With guys whispering your style of praise in his ear why would Bobby honestly and deeply evaluate his staff. And from the stands, this team looked liked Stitt's team that quit on him. Not good.

Actually, perfect and accurate reasoning. MSU didn't ever lose their 2 good top 2 qb's. If they had, their record would have been worse. Bobby wants to win. He will always be evaluating the program and his coaches. You are the one with poor or no reasoning. The Griz team this year didn't quit on anyone, including themselves or the coaches. You obviously have no clue about the game of football that is what you observed. I am tired of people making totally stupid comments on egriz, and, if I feel like it, I'm going to call you out.

AZGrizFan said:
grizzpa said:

Yep. 5 years in and Vigen has far surpassed Bobby in year two. As have Eck at Idaho and Taylor at Sac State. Honestly, how long should ANY coach reasonably be given?

Eck has won zero playoff games, and Taylor has won one. He barely won last Saturday. Hauck has accomplished far more than they have in the playoffs. The Cats have done well, but we'll see how far they go this year.

goatcreekgriz said:
grizzpa said:

In 2012, under Delaney, UM was 5-6. I think that was worse.

Grizzpa should be embarrassed by his post, and lack of memory of a fairly recent losing season. Why can't people with narratives at least stick with the facts? That's embarrassing.

Back