• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobby - on paper

GoCatsGo! said:
mthoopsfan said:
Yes, the Griz program is clearly on the upswing, and was as soon as Hauck returned. See my prior post. No, the season didn't turn out to be as good as the players, coaches or fans expected. The main reason is because the no. 1 QB got hurt in a dirty targeting at SS. With Johnson healthy, UM would have beaten SS and Weber. Also would have beaten SS even with only the late bad call being called correctly.

Lost 2 important games, which impacted the rest of the season and seedings. In retrospect, the season soured after Johnson went out at SS, he missed games and practice time, and he started getting other injuries. I wonder if the lack of practice and conditioning played into the injuries. I thought the team still might be able to overcome Johnson's missing SS/Weber, and the losses, but his further injuries and some poor play by the team, including the D in 1.5 games, were too much to overcome. It happens sometime. Yes, it would have been nice if the back-up qb's had played better. It was clear in the last game that Britt is not ready yet either. His 3d quarter was bad and could have been worse (more picks). At least, that shut up most of the put-in-Britt complainers.

While poor execution at MSU and NDSU caused some big problems, I assume the coaches and schemes could have been better too. Against NDSU, UM did pack the box, bring 4 to the line and play 4 linebackers at times. While the team played hard and never gave up, I wonder if knowingJohnson would not be able to play in the second half in the last game, had some psychological impact on the D, and O. Not saying it did, but it occurred to me and a parent mentioned it. The coaches were too aggressive late in the first half in the last game. We didn't need to be. Even doing what was done in the early plays, there was certainly no reason to call another pass play after Johnson had been sacked on the prior play. We were in the game and had enough momentum. The Bison kept goofing up our field position.

I think the Griz will be more successful next year. This year's team was very very good. Just had bad breaks and the key injuries, combined with some mistakes against very good teams. Too bad. Missed opportunity.

The Griz need to fills some holes, including QB and secondary, through development or transfer. Perhaps other positions too. With 4 returning starters including 2 all-conference players, and considerable younger depth, the o-line should be very good. And more d-line players and depth too. But there is a terrific core of returning starters, guys who played a lot, and young guys. In this day and age, I think a top team needs a great qb who is available for all games, unless there is also a great back-up. The Cats have that double qb combo.
The Cats wouldn't be where they are this year, without having at least one of those qb's for every game.

As I said, this season was a missed opportunity. While I am always optimistic, I see no reason not to be optimistic for next year. Hauck and his coaching staff are very strong, and competitive, overall. Go Griz!

I generally agree with you. The team had some tough breaks. Going to Fargo in the playoffs and coming away with a win is a tall order for anyone.

Thanks. The Cats turned out to be better than I had thought in the early games. Having 2 good qb's, and at least 1 for each game, was huge. The Cats also overcame their running back/injury problem. I didn't think they could do that. Like occurred both last year and this year, finding a way to win close games and overcome adversity is the mark of a good team.

HookedonGriz said:
Lots of folks wanting a change and wanting UM to move on from Coach Hauck. I posted this in another thread, but that is going to be very difficult for UM to do. If you look at all of this objectively, Bobby on paper:

- he is 36-17 (68%) overall with two 10 win seasons
- been to playoffs 3 of 4 years here
- quarterfinals twice
- team high gpa (yes it matters greatly what kids are doing in the classroom)
- no kids getting in trouble (a very huge deal if you recall the backlash when he was hired)
- fundraising at an all time high (qb club up over 400 members since his return)
- more facilities like the indoor practice bubble being built

Most Athletic Depts would love to have all of that and would be thrilled with those results. I have a feeling the UM is pretty happy with it too.

Personally, I have no problem with Hauck staying. I think he definitely needs to shake up some coaching, specially around the offense and OL which has been our biggest issue for years now. He can definitely improve in some areas, but I’ve also learned the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. We are a pretty spoiled fan base for the most part. We all just want to win and there is a lot of passion for the Griz, no doubt.

Stitt's record and winning percentage upon firing 21-14 (66.7%)
Hauck after 5 years 36-17 (68%)
Stitt's loses to MSU 24-17, 31-23
Hauck loses to MSU 55-21, 48-14

Haslam's comments upon firing Stitt after going 7-4. We need to get that toughness back, that swagger," he said. We need to be winning conference championships, we need to be going to the playoffs. Those are things that are critical to us as an athletic department and they are valuable to our University and valuable to this community."

Haslam's quote after Montana finished the regular season 7-4 this year: “Of course we want to win every game. 7-4 isn’t where we want to be,”

indiancoyote said:
HookedonGriz said:
Lots of folks wanting a change and wanting UM to move on from Coach Hauck. I posted this in another thread, but that is going to be very difficult for UM to do. If you look at all of this objectively, Bobby on paper:

- quarterfinals twice
- no kids getting in trouble (a very huge deal if you recall the backlash when he was hired)
- fundraising at an all time high (qb club up over 400 members since his return)

Most Athletic Depts would love to have all of that and would be thrilled with those results. I have a feeling the UM is pretty happy with it too.

Personally, I have no problem with Hauck staying. I think he definitely needs to shake up some coaching, specially around the offense and OL which has been our biggest issue for years now. He can definitely improve in some areas, but I’ve also learned the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. We are a pretty spoiled fan base for the most part. We all just want to win and there is a lot of passion for the Griz, no doubt.

Haslam's comments upon firing Stitt after going 7-4. We need to get that toughness back, that swagger," he said. We need to be winning conference championships, we need to be going to the playoffs. Those are things that are critical to us as an athletic department and they are valuable to our University and valuable to this community."

Haslam's quote after Montana finished the regular season 7-4 this year: “Of course we want to win every game. 7-4 isn’t where we want to be,”

A 21-14 record is a 60% winning %. Don’t forget the unranked teams that Stitt lost to in the end. He had some head scratching, awful losses. He also never had a 10 win season. He also missed the playoffs two of the three years.

hauck isn’t perfect by any means but he’s a way better Coach than Stitt is. Also interesting that no one seems to want to hire Stitt anymore.

HookedonGriz said:
indiancoyote said:

A 21-14 record is a 60% winning %. Don’t forget the unranked teams that Stitt lost to in the end. He had some head scratching, awful losses. He also never had a 10 win season. He also missed the playoffs two of the three years.

hauck isn’t perfect by any means but he’s a way better Coach than Stitt is. Also interesting that no one seems to want to hire Stitt anymore.

its 66%

indiancoyote said:
HookedonGriz said:

its 66%

Dude, come on now.

21/35 (the total number of games) equals 60%

uofmman1122 said:
41>37 said:
Stitt on paper we just as good if not better, I don’t believe Stitt ever lost 3 straight or ever took 6th in the Big Sky. Bobby won’t get fired because he is the Alpha of Griz athletics, Haslam is just as scared of Bobby as the media is.
Yeah, you're right, he never got 6th, but he did tie for 5th in 2017 at 5-3, and finished 1-4 in his last 5 games with three losses to unranked teams to get 8th in 2016 with a 3-5 conference record.

But yeah, "better".

Bobby’s record the last 8 games? 3-5. :|

HookedonGriz said:

- quarterfinals twice

Delaney was .632, beat the cats 66% of the time and made it to the playoffs 66% of the time... handed and then cleaned up a dirty program, and graduated at a higher rate. All of this without having the benefit of cherry picking out of a portal.... And yet the average Griz fan could not kick him out fast enough.... Face it, BH is living off of the reputation that he was handed when he inherited a sportscar.... The dude has no idea how to move forward...

Here’s the flip side of the OP’s saccharin sweet post:

Bobby - In Reality:
Has delivered neither #RTD NOR #DOLA in 5 years as head coach
1-3 against the cats including TWO historic 34-point blowout losses.
3-3 in the playoffs, with 2/3 of the wins coming against mediocre subpar conference “champions”
3rd, 4th and 6th the last three years in the BSC
4-4 conference record in year FIVE
Beats up on bottom dwellers; struggles against teams with a pulse
1-5 against teams with a winning record in 2022
Over 1,000 yards rushing given up in last three games by his vaunted Defense
Internal strife (much of it caused BY Bobby)
Former player lashing out
Star RB entering portal before the rivalry game
Failure to develop backup players at key positions — particularly QB
Multiple and repeated recruiting misses at key positions
Failure to recruit size and speed necessary to compete at highest FCS levels
Failure to prepare/plan for predictable injuries at key positions
Apparent nepotism in how he treated his son vs rest of the team, causing locker room division
#37 debacle preseason causing locker room division
Crews recruiting debacle this summer causing locker room division
Burning bridges at local schools; top talent going elsewhere
Old school, outdated coaching philosophy (screamers - Rosey, Phenice, Pease, Bobby, Germer)
Demonstrated unwillingness to make necessary coaching changes
Inability or unwillingness to leverage social media in recruiting
Getting out-recruited instate because of outdated curmudgeonly recruiting philosophy
Limiting offers primarily to guys who come to camps
Dated/super conservative offensive philosophy without requisite horses to run
Gimmicky defensive philosophy with gaping holes and easily compromised

And worst of all: Surpassed by the ‘SCATS in all facets of the game—recruiting, onfield success, conference success, brawl success, playoff success, NFL success.

If we’d had to play UCD this year we’d have not made the playoffs at all. The ONLY team headed in the same direction as the Griz is EWU. Sac, Idaho, Weber, UCD and MSU have ALL passed us and are pulling away. Three of those five teams have coaches who’ve been at their schools shorter timeframes than Hauck.

If not for a miracle comeback in Missoula on the Saturday after thanksgiving, we’d have been one-and-done this year in the playoffs (ultimately I still believe that will end up being a huge negative in terms of Bobby’s willingness to invoke change).

Three playoff victories in four years, against SEMO, SELA and EWU. Meanwhile the ‘Scats are in the midst of another deep playoff run on their way to the semis or better for the 2nd straight year. If this was year 2 or 3 of this rebuild I might understand, but is that REALLY what we were expecting in year FIVE? Weren’t we promised and expecting deep playoff runs by this point? Wasn’t that Haslam’s exact words when he fired Stitt and rehired Bobby?

Literally any other coach NOT named Hauck would have been shown the door already. Zero doubt in my mind about that.

And if the only reason Haslam doesn’t put a fork in him is because he’s afraid of being viewed as the guy who fucked up two football hires, then he’s a spineless twat and we’ll be mired in mediocrity for the next several years.

Butte5518 said:
HookedonGriz said:

- quarterfinals twice

Delaney was .632, beat the cats 66% of the time and made it to the playoffs 66% of the time... handed and then cleaned up a dirty program, and graduated at a higher rate. All of this without having the benefit of cherry picking out of a portal.... And yet the average Griz fan could not kick him out fast enough.... Face it, BH is living off of the reputation that he was handed when he inherited a sportscar.... The dude has no idea how to move forward...

I liked Delaney a lot. Old school, players coach. I had no issue with him at all and I don’t recall tons of people wanting him gone.

Why not strive for a coach that after 4 years is 47-6, never lost to the in-state rival, has 3 National Championships and probably a 4th after this year?

Why is it so hard for some of you to want to piss excellence yet settle for mediocrity in a watered down FCS? You don’t really need to answer, we know why.

#LTB (Lower the bar) should be the acronym Hauck uses, not RTD. He cant return us to anything because he never built it up he maintained or lowered it. He has had plenty of years to prove he cant get it done and its time for new blood even if it takes us into 20 years of losing at least we wouldn't already know what we are going to get. Next year isn’t exciting anymore because we already know what we have to look forward to. Drop down average QB play, will come in 5th or 6th, lose to the cats and not deserve a playoff spot. Even if we make the playoffs we won't make a legit run Wow, exciting

We were Montana!

AZGrizFan said:

Bobby - In Reality:
3-3 in the playoffs, with 2/3 of the wins coming against mediocre subpar conference “champions”
Apparent nepotism in how he treated his son vs rest of the team, causing locker room division
Old school, outdated coaching philosophy (screamers - Rosey, Phenice, Pease, Bobby, Germer)
Getting out-recruited instate because of outdated curmudgeonly recruiting philosophy

And worst of all: Surpassed by the ‘SCATS in all facets of the game—recruiting, onfield success, conference success, brawl success, playoff success, NFL success.

If we’d had to play UCD this year we’d have not made the playoffs at all. The ONLY team headed in the same direction as the Griz is EWU. Sac, Idaho, Weber, UCD and MSU have ALL passed us and are pulling away. Three of those five teams have coaches who’ve been at their schools shorter timeframes than Hauck.

If not for a miracle comeback in Missoula on the Saturday after thanksgiving, we’d have been one-and-done this year in the playoffs (ultimately I still believe that will end up being a huge negative in terms of Bobby’s willingness to invoke change).

Three playoff victories in four years, against SEMO, SELA and EWU. Meanwhile the ‘Scats are in the midst of another deep playoff run on their way to the semis or better for the 2nd straight year. If this was year 2 or 3 of this rebuild I might understand, but is that REALLY what we were expecting in year FIVE? Weren’t we promised and expecting deep playoff runs by this point? Wasn’t that Haslam’s exact words when he fired Stitt and rehired Bobby?

Literally any other coach NOT named Hauck would have been shown the door already. Zero doubt in my mind about that.

And if the only reason Haslam doesn’t put a fork in him is because he’s afraid of being viewed as the guy who f###[#] up two football hires, then he’s a spineless twat and we’ll be mired in mediocrity for the next several years.

Look even Mr Cup is always full finally made a good post with facts that are not arguable. He must be a troll poster! Get inline with the company mission statement and goosestep to another 6th place finish comrade!

AZGrizFan said:

Bobby - In Reality:

And if the only reason Haslam doesn’t put a fork in him is because he’s afraid of being viewed as the guy who f###[#] up two football hires, then he’s a spineless twat and we’ll be mired in mediocrity for the next several years.

Yep, all fair points as well. But if UM wants to move on from him they are gonna have a very hard time doing so based on what I posted initially. Regardless of everything outside of that. I don’t know if another coaching change is the answer. Could be or could tail spin us further.

Coach said:
AZGrizFan said:

Bobby - In Reality:

Look even Mr Cup is always full finally made a good post with facts that are not arguable. He must be a troll poster! Get inline with the company mission statement and goosestep to another 6th place finish comrade!

Lol. i don’t think I’ve ever been accused of being a “cup is always full” guy here. You must not be paying attention….

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Bobby - In Reality:

Yep, all fair points as well. But if UM wants to move on from him they are gonna have a very hard time doing so based on what I posted initially. Regardless of everything outside of that. I don’t know if another coaching change is the answer. Could be or could tail spin us further.

Further? Further than 6th in conference?

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

I honestly don’t place as much emphasis on the finish in conference as I do the overall record and playoffs and what they do there. Until the big sky figures out their ass backwards scheduling it’s hard to say who truly is a six place team in the conference versus a second place team in the conference.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I honestly don’t place as much emphasis on the finish in conference as I do the overall record and playoffs and what they do there. Until the big guy figures out their ass backwards scheduling it’s hard to say who truly is a six place team in the conference versus a second place team in the conference.

Not ONE win over a team with a winning record in the regular season. Not one. Even in an unbalanced league that is just shit.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
I honestly don’t place as much emphasis on the finish in conference as I do the overall record and playoffs and what they do there. Until the big guy figures out their ass backwards scheduling it’s hard to say who truly is a six place team in the conference versus a second place team in the conference.

Not ONE win over a team with a winning record in the regular season. Not one. Even in an unbalanced league that is just shit.

That’s a fair assessment. Hoping for some internal changes starting with OC and OL. It’s pretty obvious we’ve had some terrible offensive struggles for years.

Back