• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coach Decuire is gone

It's customary to write the obituary after the death. He isn't even scheduled by be the dearly departed until tonight, at the earliest, a week from now on the outside. :roll:

If he leaves, you are losing a great coach and person. The guy is a real class act. He has a very bright future ahead of him for sure.

I have it on good authority from a bunch of different highly knowledgeable kitten supporters that coach Fish will be leaving the kitten faithful and accepting the forthcoming, highly lucrative offer from the Washington State Cougars :thumb:

I am sure Travis is capable of making his own decision about what is best for his family and for him. It seems to me there is a head coach at Virginia named Tony Bennett that was the head coach at WSU. He seems to have done all right. That said I will hate to lose him when he leaves but it is inevitable that he will leave. I wish him all the best BUT he isn’t gone yet. He still is a Griz and we are still playing. Go Griz!

Griz1 said:
I am sure Travis is capable of making his own decision about what is best for his family and for him. It seems to me there is a head coach at Virginia named Tony Bennett that was the head coach at WSU. He seems to have done all right. That said I will hate to lose him when he leaves but it is enevitable that he will leave. I wish him all the best BUT he isn’t gone yet. He still is a Griz and we are still playing. Go Griz!

:thumb:

There once was another coach, who coached in Montana, that used the HC at WSU to springboard his career, and he now has a top 15 program with a likely 3 seed in the torney this year.

"DeCuire Stays Where He Is, Takes the Griz to a Sweet 16 Berth, and Turns Montana Into a Solid Mid-Major - Haslam Shows Courage and Figures Out How to Keep DeCuire Around a Few More Years"

bigsky33 said:
If he leaves, you are losing a great coach and person. The guy is a real class act. He has a very bright future ahead of him for sure.

agreed, whatever his future coaching endeavors are i wish him luck. hopefully its at Montana for at least the next few years.

He has some great recruiting advantages and connections in Washington already too. Hard to pass up that money, the connections, and the promotion to PAC 12. I’m officially worried.

When was the last time WSU made the dance?

Money is not the only factor to consider. Quality of life for one. I'm not saying Pullman is bad, but it is not Missoula! Anyone who has spent any time in Pullman when school is out can attest to this.

Gaeilge1 said:
When was the last time WSU made the dance?
2008 was their last appearance in the NCAA tournament, when the advanced to the Sweet 16 and lost to North Carolina.

Their last appearance in the NIT was 2011, when they advanced to the semifinals and lost to Wichita State.

Their last national postseason tourney appearance was the CBI in 2012, when they went to the finals and lost to Pittsburgh 2 games to one.

If you remove Bennett’s arrival in Pullman, WSU probably ranks as one of the five worst power 5 basketball schools over the past twenty years.

I’d think Leggans at EWU will get some run as might one or two of Few’s current or former assistants at GU. Gotta think WSU will consider a run at Les Rice at BSU. Rice loves Boise, but one has to wonder if he doesn’t start thinking about other options. He’s an excellent recruiter, plays a type of basketball that can be successful in Pullman, and has ties to the region. Other than, they might see if one of Bennetts assistants at Virginia would like to ply their trade in Pullman.

WSU is in a tough spot. There isn’t a taste in the town at accepting its fate as low hanging P12 fruit, but the type of demand for the job isn’t really high.

Grizfan-24 said:
If you remove Bennett’s arrival in Pullman, WSU probably ranks as one of the five worst power 5 basketball schools over the past twenty years.

I’d think Leggans at EWU will get some run as might one or two of Few’s current or former assistants at GU. Gotta think WSU will consider a run at Les Rice at BSU. Rice loves Boise, but one has to wonder if he doesn’t start thinking about other options. He’s an excellent recruiter, plays a type of basketball that can be successful in Pullman, and has ties to the region. Other than, they might see if one of Bennetts assistants at Virginia would like to ply their trade in Pullman.

WSU is in a tough spot. There isn’t a taste in the town at accepting its fate as low hanging P12 fruit, but the type of demand for the job isn’t really high.

I don't mean to be picky but it is Leon Rice not Les Rice.

Travis deserves more money than Rahe from Weber! There is no way Montana can compete financially with a PAC 12 team or UNLV, who fired Menzies today. Another landing spot for Travis, possibly. Love to see him stay, but his stock is high! Let’s just go out and win the BSC tomorrow night.

The Spokesman rates the possible candidates for the Wazzu job.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/15/next-in-line-a-breakdown-of-10-candidates-to-repla/

Back