• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coach Decuire is gone

Shaun Rainey tweeted that UM’s attendance this year was better than three pac-12 schools. Washington state, USC and Stanford all had lower attendance than UM. Cal’s attendance was only slightly better than UM’s.

Bobby Hauck went to UNLV, a place with a terrible football culture. He got his pay day, but obviously the grass wasn’t greener in Las Vegas.

I don’t see Decuire leaving Montana for a program that doesn’t have a good basketball culture just for a pay day. Looking at Cal, Stanford and WSU, Stanford is the only school that has much of a basketball history, but even they have been up and down since Montgomery left 15+ years ago.

He’ll have his chance to move up, but I don’t think the current crop of pac 12 openings are particularly appealing. Just my opinion.

maroon said:
The Spokesman rates the possible candidates for the Wazzu job.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/15/next-in-line-a-breakdown-of-10-candidates-to-repla/

For what it's worth, the writer says Travis leads the "likeliness" category.

Well the writer also had this to say: "Decuire, a Seattle native, has taken Montana to four NCAA Tournaments already and his Grizzlies are the favorites to claim the Big Sky’s bid this year when they face Eastern Washington in the title game on Saturday." So maybe he has no idea what he's talking about.

There is no way Tinkle will leave Missoula for the OSU job. He's stated many times that he loves living in Missoula, and there's more to life than money. Same for TDC. Making eight years' current salary one year, and about 25 years' current salary in three years is great and all, but probably not enough to move away from Missoula.

CDAGRIZ said:
There is no way Tinkle will leave Missoula for the OSU job. He's stated many times that he loves living in Missoula, and there's more to life than money. Same for TDC. Making eight years' current salary one year, and about 25 years' current salary in three years is great and all, but probably not enough to move away from Missoula.

Especially when it's to a resume killer place like WSU. Nobody will even look at you after a disastrous decision like that. I mean it's not like a career enhancing decision to jump ship to Bozo! :lol:

cclarkblues said:
Not move to the "Conference Of Champions"? Inconceivable.

Or how about to the MWC? Or better yet, how about the Summit conference? I hear on another thread that they are just a couple phone calls away from greatness!

MikeyGriz said:
cclarkblues said:
Not move to the "Conference Of Champions"? Inconceivable.

Or how about to the MWC? Or better yet, how about the Summit conference? I hear on another thread that they are just a couple phone calls away from greatness!

Chasing that Augustana money might trap some lesser coaches, but I don't see him doing it. I don't think he'd like Manitoba.

We better savor every second of Coach TDC for at least the next week. His phone is going to be blowing up!

Your coach is really one hell of a coach and person I wish him and his family all the best
As he has put himself in a very good position to advance his career.

Yeah, unfortunately I think Coach is on his way out. I hope for at least one, if not two, more years of Coach D. But I think he will be gone.

I hope the coach remains and I actually do think he will. As good as this year's team has been, and the quality of guys that won another championship, I think it is just a preview of what is in store for Montana fans. I've watched two of the recruits coming in, and read about the others and hear what people are saying and I doubt he would leave for WSU when there are even better things next year. The one thing DeCuire and his style of play show is that patience pays off. UM could really be pushing it up a few notches and De Cuire knows that.

I don't know if Washington State is the right job for DeCuire--they still have to offer the job to him--but I expect he'll have a ton of offers when the NCAA tournament is done and the coaching vacancies are a bit more clear. Some vacancies will exist from coaches taking promotions (either to NBA or from G5 schools to P5 schools), and some more will be fired. Someone will likely look at taking DeCuire.

I also expect now is as good a time for DeCuire to leave (for him) as will exist. Two straight NCAAs, a ton of players (Moorehead, Rorie, Oguine, Dorsey, Akoh) graduate, and I don't know what next year will look like, but his ceiling in Montana is maintaining his reputation as is. This feels not so different from when Tyler Harvey left EWU early for the NBA--he just led the NCAA in scoring, what else was he going to add to his resume? Same question applies to DeCuire---either we're looking at a truly unique guy who decides he wants to be the Big Sky's Mark Few (unlikely), or he leaves when the time is right. If he leaves, I wish him luck.

What is Coach D's current base salary? What additional incentives? Can Decuire be offered more for his recent accomplishments? If so, how much more? Can we pay him similar salary to WSU coach?

Man, Coach Decuire probably will leave... but this Team went back2back Big Sky Champions. Enjoy the moment. All of you (including me) are just speculating. Savor this time in Montana Grizzlies Basketball. We are all witnesses to one of the greatest team in school history. Rorie, Oguine, Morehead, Akoh, they all deserve our praise!!!! I hope Decuire stays here, but I can't judge a man for getting more money. Go Griz.

MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Especially when it's to a resume killer place like WSU. Nobody will even look at you after a disastrous decision like that. I mean it's not like a career enhancing decision to jump ship to Bozo! :lol:

I don't know about that.
Tony Bennett the current Virginia cavalier coach, he took the wsu job and after 3 years as head coach for the cougars he was pac-12 coach of the year once and did a pretty good job there, close to 35 games over the break even mark.
There is no doubt it's a tough job, but it can be done.hope he stays at Montana, but I think he could turn that program around given enough time.

Travis is absolutely one of the best recruiters on the west coast and you can be sure
That there are many athletic directors that know this and also know how much of a class
Act he is as a coach and a person when it comes to having the complete package he checks
All of the boxes.bringing home back to back big sky championships as a player and also
As a coach to his alma mater I would say he has maximized his opportunities at the
University of Montana great job coach and the coaching staff also lets not forget the job
Chris ,jay,and rachi have done the amount of hours and commitment it takes for assistant coaches to keep the ship going in the right direction is endless and those guys are great at what’they do keeping the team in line on the court and in the classroom.

Coachnelson said:
Travis is absolutely one of the best recruiters on the west coast and you can be sure
That there are many athletic directors that know this and also know how much of a class
Act he is as a coach and a person when it comes to having the complete package he checks
All of the boxes.bringing home back to back big sky championships as a player and also
As a coach to his alma mater I would say he has maximized his opportunities at the
University of Montana great job coach and the coaching staff also lets not forget the job
Chris ,jay,and rachi have done the amount of hours and commitment it takes for assistant coaches to keep the ship going in the right direction is endless and those guys are great at what’they do keeping the team in line on the court and in the classroom.

Find this key ‘.’ On your keyboard....please.

Oh, and if TD really IS gone after this season, no one can ever say he “left the cupboards bare”....with the talent he’s got coming in the next coach is gonna be very nicely set up for success...

Back