• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Conference Realignment: Here we go again

HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky2 said:
There are experts on this board who maintain FBS and FCS schools benefit equally from the portal.

Not sure anyone has stated this.

I whispered it softly to my wife once in the throes of passion but immediately took it back.

AZGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:
AZ, let's put the regular season aside for a minute. I agree, that the FBS regular season as whole is so much more attractive than the FCS regular season. Tell me this though, would you personally enjoy watching the Griz play in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl or Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, or the FCS Playoffs? Because I totally agree with you that getting to play Mountain West teams in Wa-Griz would be much more fun than UNC or PSU, but man do bowl games suck. The minute the P5 and G5 split and the G5 forms their own playoff (which is actually more realistic than some may think, with the new proposed NCAA constitution and with the CFP talks continuing to stall ), then we gotta go. In fact, I'd be pissed if we didn't move up for that. In fact, I'd be willing to bet some of the better Big Sky schools like msu, Weber, Idaho, Davis, and NAU would all do it too.

No need to go anywhere right now, nor are we in any position to move right now since the MWC has said they have no desire to expand. Once San Diego State and Boise State leave which is likely 3-4 years down the road, then we should strongly consider it and I would think us, msu, NDSU, and SDSU should all be in consideration for the MWC. Maybe they would take all 4 of us or possibly even give Idaho a look.

Here's my take:
a) i believe playoffs are coming in the G5, sooner rather than later. If we're not already there when it happens, it's probably too late at that point.
b) WE (as fans) may not think much of the bowls, but I can tell you after watching several of the "minor" bowls this year, the PLAYERS certainly do care. Oh and by the way, there were some REALLY good minor bowl games this year (that are regularly mocked on this board).
c) I'd trade a regular season of games against Wyoming, CSU, USU, Boise State, AFA, etc., vs UNC, SUU, Idaho State, NAU for the off chance we make a deep playoff run or win a natty (because see point (a) again).

a) is spot on in my opinion.
As for b), I also saw a lot of fans who seemed to care quite a bit. I always go back to thinking about whether fans of teams who have moved up to play in "meaningless" bowl games are dying to come back down so their teams can play for a real national championship. I'm betting they don't think about the FCS at all.

Ursa Major said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Not sure anyone has stated this.

I whispered it softly to my wife once in the throes of passion but immediately took it back.

I'm going to have to try that. I've been discussing the 3-3-5 during the act and let's just say the results have been mixed.

AllWeatherFan said:
The problem with you move up people is that you cannot admit that there is nothing more exciting than a road trip to Greeley.
A road trip to Hillsdale HS is right up there.

AZGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:
AZ, let's put the regular season aside for a minute. I agree, that the FBS regular season as whole is so much more attractive than the FCS regular season. Tell me this though, would you personally enjoy watching the Griz play in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl or Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, or the FCS Playoffs? Because I totally agree with you that getting to play Mountain West teams in Wa-Griz would be much more fun than UNC or PSU, but man do bowl games suck. The minute the P5 and G5 split and the G5 forms their own playoff (which is actually more realistic than some may think, with the new proposed NCAA constitution and with the CFP talks continuing to stall ), then we gotta go. In fact, I'd be pissed if we didn't move up for that. In fact, I'd be willing to bet some of the better Big Sky schools like msu, Weber, Idaho, Davis, and NAU would all do it too.

No need to go anywhere right now, nor are we in any position to move right now since the MWC has said they have no desire to expand. Once San Diego State and Boise State leave which is likely 3-4 years down the road, then we should strongly consider it and I would think us, msu, NDSU, and SDSU should all be in consideration for the MWC. Maybe they would take all 4 of us or possibly even give Idaho a look.

Here's my take:
a) i believe playoffs are coming in the G5, sooner rather than later. If we're not already there when it happens, it's probably too late at that point.
b) WE (as fans) may not think much of the bowls, but I can tell you after watching several of the "minor" bowls this year, the PLAYERS certainly do care. Oh and by the way, there were some REALLY good minor bowl games this year (that are regularly mocked on this board).
c) I'd trade a regular season of games against Wyoming, CSU, USU, Boise State, AFA, etc., vs UNC, SUU, Idaho State, NAU for the off chance we make a deep playoff run or win a natty (because see point (a) again).
I agree with everything you say on points a and c. I even acknowledged in my post that I would like the regular season matchups with MWC opponents better.

I somewhat disagree with you though on point b, and here's why. I do agree that the players care about bowl games (most of them, some of the NFL guys say screw it). I think the reason they care about bowl games though is because that's all the FBS has ever had. They've never had a big fancy playoff system like the FCS has had. I guarantee you if we took a poll of every player who plays at the G5 level and ask them if they'd rather have bowl games or a playoff system, the overwhelming majority of guys would say that they'd rather have a playoff system, and coaches would too. It may even enhance the competition of the regular season too as teams who may have injuries or other problems and get to 6 wins may just kinda coast through the rest of the regular season knowing they're bowl eligible, would now have the motivation to see things all the way through and try to qualify for the playoffs. This would also help reduce the number of opt outs from players, even though there's not a lot of guys at the G5 level who opt out. Just my take.

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:
Here's my take:
I agree with everything you say on points a and c. I even acknowledged in my post that I would like the regular season matchups with MWC opponents better.

I somewhat disagree with you though on point b, and here's why. I do agree that the players care about bowl games (most of them, some of the NFL guys say screw it). I think the reason they care about bowl games though is because that's all the FBS has ever had. They've never had a big fancy playoff system like the FCS has had. I guarantee you if we took a poll of every player who plays at the G5 level and ask them if they'd rather have bowl games or a playoff system, the overwhelming majority of guys would say that they'd rather have a playoff system, and coaches would too. It may even enhance the competition of the regular season too as teams who may have injuries or other problems and get to 6 wins may just kinda coast through the rest of the regular season knowing they're bowl eligible, would now have the motivation to see things all the way through and try to qualify for the playoffs. This would also help reduce the number of opt outs from players, even though there's not a lot of guys at the G5 level who opt out. Just my take.

I don't disagree with you, but I wonder what the poll results would be if the choices were:
1. Play in an FBS bowl; or
2. Play in the FCS (or lower) playoffs.

I mean, those are choices that actually exist assuming you're not in the CFP.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

I don't disagree with you, but I wonder what the poll results would be if the choices were:

I would argue that a move like this isn't only about football.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl pays out $800,000

Looks like the least pay-out Bowl game is the Bahama Bowl at $300,000

HelenaHandBasket said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I get that, and don't disagree at first glance. But, with everything changing so quickly I wonder if there will be more football only conference members soon. I think UM is kind of where it belongs in everything except football. I get that the BSC and whatever destination conference could have an issue with UM joining a different conference for FB only, but at some point, you have to realize that you're not the PAC12. Just trying to add thoughts that go beyond the traditional "We can't afford to add the necessary sports" line of thinking.

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl pays out $800,000

Looks like the least pay-out Bowl game is the Bahama Bowl at $300,000

Yeah, but what's the payout for the FCS quarterfinals? Starbuck's gift card and a petite steak dinner for two at TGI Friday's?

CDAGRIZ said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I get that, and don't disagree at first glance. But, with everything changing so quickly I wonder if there will be more football only conference members soon. I think UM is kind of where it belongs in everything except football. I get that the BSC and whatever destination conference could have an issue with UM joining a different conference for FB only, but at some point, you have to realize that you're not the PAC12. Just trying to add thoughts that go beyond the traditional "We can't afford to add the necessary sports" line of thinking.

I just don't see any conference like the MWC accepting football only members nor do I think that the BSC is excited to let the base teams go elsewhere for football only.

HelenaHandBasket said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I just don't see any conference like the MWC accepting football only members nor do I think that the BSC is excited to let the base teams go elsewhere for football only.

But you don’t know. Right?

HelenaHandBasket said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Totally agree the BSC wouldn't be happy about it, but if UM and MSU roll up and say, "Hey, we're going to conference X for FB, but we'll stay for the rest." do you think the BSC is going to say no? I don't know the answer to that, but I certainly hope we understand our position in the conference and don't just bow down to what the BSC says we have to do. Remember when GU bball was threatened to go to the Big East a few years ago and the WCC basically said, "Please don't, we'll do whatever you want."? Apples and potatoes, sure, but it reminds me a bit of that.

CDAGRIZ said:
AllWeatherFan said:
The problem with you move up people is that you cannot admit that there is nothing more exciting than a road trip to Greeley.

If I didn't have the potential to see The Train Museum and engage in martial arts with deranged NCU fans, I think I'd lose it. Luckily a move up will never happen because we've never done it before. Besides, we don't have the bathroom capacity and the barkeeps downtown would never allow us to go FBS.

You’re saying the Greedy Barkeep Lobby (GBL) is opposed to the measure?

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

Well that wasn't what I was trying to say. I was trying to say let's poll them and ask them this:

If the G5 (Mountain West, American, Sun Belt, MAC, C-USA) split into their own level of college football separate from the P5 and conducted their own postseason, would you prefer:

A: The traditional bowl games

B: A new 16 team playoff format (5 AQ's, 11 at-large bids) in the effort to crown a true G5 National champion

Which of those results do you think players and coaches would be more in favor of? I think it would be a pretty lopsided result towards option B.

Griz til I die said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Well that wasn't what I was trying to say. I was trying to say let's poll them and ask them this:

If the G5 (Mountain West, American, Sun Belt, MAC, C-USA) split into their own level of college football separate from the P5 and conducted their own postseason, would you prefer:

B: A new 16 team playoff format (5 AQ's, 11 at-large bids) in the effort to crown a true G5 National champion

Which of those results do you think players and coaches would be more in favor of? I think it would be a pretty lopsided result towards option B.

It's a good question, and I'm honestly not sure. Maybe option C: own a herd of unicorns and make out with Lisa Loeb at Prince's house in college. I know I'm in the minority, but I love bowl games and would love to see UM compete in the FBS and play in one someday.

Griz til I die said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Wouldn't you say that both of those are preferable to remaining in FCS and its playoffs to a lot of players and coaches? I get what you're trying to say, but that's not the contention people are having in this thread, which is between moving to FBS (whether they have a playoff or not) and remaining FCS.

IMO, if the split happens, we can pretty much just forget about how the current FBS landscape looks right now. It's going to be completely different. I also agree with those that think it's a much better move to reposition ourselves before it happens, although whether that's even possible is hard to say.

Back