• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Conference Realignment: Here we go again

CDAGRIZ said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I just don't see any conference like the MWC accepting football only members nor do I think that the BSC is excited to let the base teams go elsewhere for football only.

Totally agree the BSC wouldn't be happy about it, but if UM and MSU roll up and say, "Hey, we're going to conference X for FB, but we'll stay for the rest." do you think the BSC is going to say no? I don't know the answer to that, but I certainly hope we understand our position in the conference and don't just bow down to what the BSC says we have to do. Remember when GU bball was threatened to go to the Big East a few years ago and the WCC basically said, "Please don't, we'll do whatever you want."? Apples and potatoes, sure, but it reminds me a bit of that.

I don't know why UM and MSU wouldn't want to move the basketball programs to the MWC. So many more benefits.

Griz til I die said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I don't disagree with you, but I wonder what the poll results would be if the choices were:
1. Play in an FBS bowl; or
2. Play in the FCS (or lower) playoffs.

I mean, those are choices that actually exist assuming you're not in the CFP.
Well that wasn't what I was trying to say. I was trying to say let's poll them and ask them this:

If the G5 (Mountain West, American, Sun Belt, MAC, C-USA) split into their own level of college football separate from the P5 and conducted their own postseason, would you prefer:

A: The traditional bowl games

B: A new 16 team playoff format (5 AQ's, 11 at-large bids) in the effort to crown a true G5 National champion

Which of those results do you think players and coaches would be more in favor of? I think it would be a pretty lopsided result towards option B.

To bad the players and coaches don't decide. The schools will go where the $$$$ is.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:
Well that wasn't what I was trying to say. I was trying to say let's poll them and ask them this:

If the G5 (Mountain West, American, Sun Belt, MAC, C-USA) split into their own level of college football separate from the P5 and conducted their own postseason, would you prefer:

B: A new 16 team playoff format (5 AQ's, 11 at-large bids) in the effort to crown a true G5 National champion

Which of those results do you think players and coaches would be more in favor of? I think it would be a pretty lopsided result towards option B.

It's a good question, and I'm honestly not sure. Maybe option C: own a herd of unicorns and make out with Lisa Loeb at Prince's house in college. I know I'm in the minority, but I love bowl games and would love to see UM compete in the FBS and play in one someday.

Does option C also include getting yelled at by 2/3rds of the Dahm triplets for asking them if they wanted to play NHL Hockey on Sega?

Griz til I die said:
Why the hell does the Big 12 want a conference that spans all the way from San Diego, CA to Orlando, FL? That sounds like shit traveling, especially for Basketball and other sports. You could at least get around it in football by splitting them into divisions. In fact, here's a better question. Why won't the PAC 12 take SDSU and BSU? That's obviously a much better fit.
The PAC, especially USC and UCLA, absolutely do not want SDSU to join. San Diego is prime recruiting ground for them, and they almost always get the best players in the area. Once SDSU becomes a P5 school they lose the upper hand.

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
It's a good question, and I'm honestly not sure. Maybe option C: own a herd of unicorns and make out with Lisa Loeb at Prince's house in college. I know I'm in the minority, but I love bowl games and would love to see UM compete in the FBS and play in one someday.

Does option C also include getting yelled at by 2/3rds of the Dahm triplets for asking them if they wanted to play NHL Hockey on Sega?

Uh, duh.

Everyone is so laser focused on the Griz moving up, take this with a grain of salt but what if the BSC moved up. Keeping the more robust programs and replacing a few of the more questionable programs with a couple of teams that seem to be floating around toying with the idea of moving up (NDSU) . Get engaged wth the G5 in a playoff format that might even include several of the bowl locations; seems it would appease those who like a playoff with more than 4 teams and those who consider moving up an absolute necessity. Appears this would be the best of both worlds, better home schedule and keeping in place many of the traditional regional rivalries. Yes I know there is more to this then just saying you want to move up and that the charter the schools have with the conference is an issue, just hoping something happens that doesn't kill Griz football and the environment we have all grown to love so much...

CDAGRIZ said:
SACCAT66 said:
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl pays out $800,000

Looks like the least pay-out Bowl game is the Bahama Bowl at $300,000

Yeah, but what's the payout for the FCS quarterfinals? Starbuck's gift card and a petite steak dinner for two at TGI Friday's?

The gift cards expired.

uofmman1122 said:
Griz til I die said:

Wouldn't you say that both of those are preferable to remaining in FCS and its playoffs to a lot of players and coaches? I get what you're trying to say, but that's not the contention people are having in this thread, which is between moving to FBS (whether they have a playoff or not) and remaining FCS.

IMO, if the split happens, we can pretty much just forget about how the current FBS landscape looks right now. It's going to be completely different. I also agree with those that think it's a much better move to reposition ourselves before it happens, although whether that's even possible is hard to say.
I would be willing to move up if the G5 has it's own playoff system. Otherwise, I would prefer to remain FCS. I think the more the CFP talks stall, the more likely a G5 playoff system becomes. Once that happens, then we need to move up. There's no staying back in the FCS once this happens.

Griz til I die said:
uofmman1122 said:
Wouldn't you say that both of those are preferable to remaining in FCS and its playoffs to a lot of players and coaches? I get what you're trying to say, but that's not the contention people are having in this thread, which is between moving to FBS (whether they have a playoff or not) and remaining FCS.

IMO, if the split happens, we can pretty much just forget about how the current FBS landscape looks right now. It's going to be completely different. I also agree with those that think it's a much better move to reposition ourselves before it happens, although whether that's even possible is hard to say.
I would be willing to move up if the G5 has it's own playoff system. Otherwise, I would prefer to remain FCS. I think the more the CFP talks stall, the more likely a G5 playoff system becomes. Once that happens, then we need to move up. There's no staying back in the FCS once this happens.

+1

Griz til I die said:
uofmman1122 said:

I fear the ship may have sailed at that point. We'll be left down in FCS, holding the bag and battling for a "national championship" against Dixie State or Tareleton State.

No one yet has talked about the cost to move up and that to me is going to be the biggest issue for us and MSU. As a result, I don't see a move up any time soon although I would like to see it happen

GrizTexas said:
Everyone is so laser focused on the Griz moving up, take this with a grain of salt but what if the BSC moved up. Keeping the more robust programs and replacing a few of the more questionable programs with a couple of teams that seem to be floating around toying with the idea of moving up (NDSU) . Get engaged wth the G5 in a playoff format that might even include several of the bowl locations; seems it would appease those who like a playoff with more than 4 teams and those who consider moving up an absolute necessity. Appears this would be the best of both worlds, better home schedule and keeping in place many of the traditional regional rivalries. Yes I know there is more to this then just saying you want to move up and that the charter the schools have with the conference is an issue, just hoping something happens that doesn't kill Griz football and the environment we have all grown to love so much...
That's exactly what I've been saying. If the G5 decides to form a playoff system, I could definitely see both the Big Sky and the Valley wanting to move up and join G5, and with the new NCAA constitution not far off, I don't that could prevent the Big Sky and MVFC from moving up. Of course each of these conferences would need to kick some teams out. Here's who I think could and couldn't do it from each of those conferences.

Big Sky teams that could: UM, MSU, Weber, Idaho, UC Davis, NAU (they could, but would they want to), maybe SAC, and maybe Cal Poly.

Big Sky teams that couldn't: UNC (would likely join the WAC), ISU (would also probably join the WAC or move down), PSU (probably join the Pioneer League and quit offering scholarships, and maybe the WAC or Big West for other sports), and Eastern (they would likely want to move up but they got work to do. No way current admin would let them. Therefore would join the WAC).

MVFC teams that could: NDSU, SDSU, S. Illinois, Illinois State, Missouri State, UNI, and maybe UND

MVFC teams that couldn't: South Dakota (Likely join OVC), Indiana State (likely join OVC), W. Illinois (already considering joining OVC), and Youngstown State (probably could move up, but I don't think they would. Therefore would join OVC).

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

To bad the players and coaches don't decide. The schools will go where the $$$$ is.
Yes I'm well aware of that HHB. I was just making an example.

GoldStandardGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
Why the hell does the Big 12 want a conference that spans all the way from San Diego, CA to Orlando, FL? That sounds like shit traveling, especially for Basketball and other sports. You could at least get around it in football by splitting them into divisions. In fact, here's a better question. Why won't the PAC 12 take SDSU and BSU? That's obviously a much better fit.
The PAC, especially USC and UCLA, absolutely do not want SDSU to join. San Diego is prime recruiting ground for them, and they almost always get the best players in the area. Once SDSU becomes a P5 school they lose the upper hand.
More importantly, the PAC looks down on SDSU and BSU academically, not that the PAC would be condsidered a snob conference, losing relevance year by year.

Griz til I die said:
GrizTexas said:
That's exactly what I've been saying. If the G5 decides to form a playoff system, I could definitely see both the Big Sky and the Valley wanting to move up and join G5, and with the new NCAA constitution not far off, I don't that could prevent the Big Sky and MVFC from moving up. Of course each of these conferences would need to kick some teams out. Here's who I think could and couldn't do it from each of those conferences.

Big Sky teams that could: UM, MSU, Weber, Idaho, UC Davis, NAU (they could, but would they want to), maybe SAC, and maybe Cal Poly.

Big Sky teams that couldn't: UNC (would likely join the WAC), ISU (would also probably join the WAC or move down), PSU (probably join the Pioneer League and quit offering scholarships, and maybe the WAC or Big West for other sports), and Eastern (they would likely want to move up but they got work to do. No way current admin would let them. Therefore would join the WAC).

MVFC teams that could: NDSU, SDSU, S. Illinois, Illinois State, Missouri State, UNI, and maybe UND

MVFC teams that couldn't: South Dakota (Likely join OVC), Indiana State (likely join OVC), W. Illinois (already considering joining OVC), and Youngstown State (probably could move up, but I don't think they would. Therefore would join OVC).
Some really strange choices in your speculation.

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:

Some really strange choices in your speculation.
Ok which of those schools do you think could and couldn't?

Griz til I die said:
GrizTexas said:

Only problem is the WAC has already stated they want to move up as a conference and 2-3 of their programs are already expanding their facilities

ordigger said:
Griz til I die said:

Only problem is the WAC has already stated they want to move up as a conference and 2-3 of their programs are already expanding their facilities

Has anyone told those schools they don’t stand a chance to play for a real national championship? Someone needs to get the word out. I bet they’ll abandon those aspirations and join the BSC after the news hits them.

CDAGRIZ said:
ordigger said:

Has anyone told those schools they don’t stand a chance to play for a real national championship? Someone needs to get the word out. I bet they’ll abandon those aspirations and join the BSC after the news hits them.

The real National Championship is the one Georgia just won.

Back