• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Conference Realignment: Here we go again

ordigger said:
Griz til I die said:
That's exactly what I've been saying. If the G5 decides to form a playoff system, I could definitely see both the Big Sky and the Valley wanting to move up and join G5, and with the new NCAA constitution not far off, I don't that could prevent the Big Sky and MVFC from moving up. Of course each of these conferences would need to kick some teams out. Here's who I think could and couldn't do it from each of those conferences.

Big Sky teams that could: UM, MSU, Weber, Idaho, UC Davis, NAU (they could, but would they want to), maybe SAC, and maybe Cal Poly.

Big Sky teams that couldn't: UNC (would likely join the WAC), ISU (would also probably join the WAC or move down), PSU (probably join the Pioneer League and quit offering scholarships, and maybe the WAC or Big West for other sports), and Eastern (they would likely want to move up but they got work to do. No way current admin would let them. Therefore would join the WAC).

MVFC teams that could: NDSU, SDSU, S. Illinois, Illinois State, Missouri State, UNI, and maybe UND

MVFC teams that couldn't: South Dakota (Likely join OVC), Indiana State (likely join OVC), W. Illinois (already considering joining OVC), and Youngstown State (probably could move up, but I don't think they would. Therefore would join OVC).

Only problem is the WAC has already stated they want to move up as a conference and 2-3 of their programs are already expanding their facilities
Saying and doing are 2 different things. Which conference would be more appealing to the G5, the Big Sky or the WAC? I know which one I’d rather have if I’m the G5.

I suppose if the WAC is so gun ho on moving up, they could just kick a lot of their current schools to the curb and pick up the Big Sky and Valley schools that wanna go. Come on let’s be honest, the only current schools I see ever being a feasible FBS school one day from the WAC is Abilene Christian and Tarleton.

AZGrizFan said:
The latest rumor: San Diego State and Boise State from the MWC to the Big 12. That would technically open up two slots in the MWC....

Is there any source to this latest rumour? I know there was talk back of them joining back in Sept/Oct before B12 added BYU, UH, Cincy and USF.

I'm not having a go at ya, just wondering if there is any update on this or is just digging up old news for the sake of off season banter... :ugeek:

Griz til I die said:
ordigger said:
Only problem is the WAC has already stated they want to move up as a conference and 2-3 of their programs are already expanding their facilities
Saying and doing are 2 different things. Which conference would be more appealing to the G5, the Big Sky or the WAC? I know which one I’d rather have if I’m the G5.

I suppose if the WAC is so gun ho on moving up, they could just kick a lot of their current schools to the curb and pick up the Big Sky and Valley schools that wanna go. Come on let’s be honest, the only current schools I see ever being a feasible FBS school one day from the WAC is Abilene Christian and Tarleton.

WAC moving up with Montana’s and Dakota’s is far more feasible than Big Sky kicking out 40% of their schools. I just don’t see the Big Sky castrating itself to appease a few schools. Perhaps the WAC, MV and Big Sky can come up with a FBS only league with the strongest team. Don’t forget those that are in the WAC already know a target date of 2030

Ursa Major said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
This is what happens when the D takes over making decisions.

I can’t argue that, HHB.

Well, I can. If it would’ve made better decisions, we probably wouldn’t have had the Oslo Incident of 2006 when EG and I had to bail you out using the last few Krones in our murses.

captain jazz said:
AZGrizFan said:
The latest rumor: San Diego State and Boise State from the MWC to the Big 12. That would technically open up two slots in the MWC....

Is there any source to this latest rumour? I know there was talk back of them joining back in Sept/Oct before B12 added BYU, UH, Cincy and USF.

I'm not having a go at ya, just wondering if there is any update on this or is just digging up old news for the sake of off season banter... :ugeek:

It was said by a coach (of one of the teams) on a podcast….I’ll see if I can find it again and link it. :thumb:

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:
Preach. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The same people who don't want to move up because "playoffs" are usually first in line to bitch about the weakness of nonconference (hell, even conference) opponents and how the ticket prices aren't worth the competition level...
AZ, let's put the regular season aside for a minute. I agree, that the FBS regular season as whole is so much more attractive than the FCS regular season. Tell me this though, would you personally enjoy watching the Griz play in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl or Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, or the FCS Playoffs? Because I totally agree with you that getting to play Mountain West teams in Wa-Griz would be much more fun than UNC or PSU, but man do bowl games suck. The minute the P5 and G5 split and the G5 forms their own playoff (which is actually more realistic than some may think, with the new proposed NCAA constitution and with the CFP talks continuing to stall ), then we gotta go. In fact, I'd be pissed if we didn't move up for that. In fact, I'd be willing to bet some of the better Big Sky schools like msu, Weber, Idaho, Davis, and NAU would all do it too.

No need to go anywhere right now, nor are we in any position to move right now since the MWC has said they have no desire to expand. Once San Diego State and Boise State leave which is likely 3-4 years down the road, then we should strongly consider it and I would think us, msu, NDSU, and SDSU should all be in consideration for the MWC. Maybe they would take all 4 of us or possibly even give Idaho a look.

Per the bolded sections:

1. While I understand this argument, I don't know if I agree. Having been a fan who has attended bowl games, I can tell you they are DAMN fun, and the communities hosting them roll out the red carpet for visiting fans, unlike frisco, where people don't even know a game is being played. Also, I can only assume that everyone taking this position regarding bowl games wants Montana basketball to move to DII or DIII. Obviously we have no shot at a championship at the DI level, and the playoffs at DIII would be more fun than an NCAA game.

2. What if that is too late? If we wait until there's a guaranteed playoff system, Central Washington or Incarnate Word or whatever Dixie calls themselves now may well have taken any available slot for us. Man, I cannot WAIT for that Friday night semifinal playoff game against George Fox University broadcast some guy's youtube channel.

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
AZ, let's put the regular season aside for a minute. I agree, that the FBS regular season as whole is so much more attractive than the FCS regular season. Tell me this though, would you personally enjoy watching the Griz play in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl or Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, or the FCS Playoffs? Because I totally agree with you that getting to play Mountain West teams in Wa-Griz would be much more fun than UNC or PSU, but man do bowl games suck. The minute the P5 and G5 split and the G5 forms their own playoff (which is actually more realistic than some may think, with the new proposed NCAA constitution and with the CFP talks continuing to stall ), then we gotta go. In fact, I'd be pissed if we didn't move up for that. In fact, I'd be willing to bet some of the better Big Sky schools like msu, Weber, Idaho, Davis, and NAU would all do it too.

No need to go anywhere right now, nor are we in any position to move right now since the MWC has said they have no desire to expand. Once San Diego State and Boise State leave which is likely 3-4 years down the road, then we should strongly consider it and I would think us, msu, NDSU, and SDSU should all be in consideration for the MWC. Maybe they would take all 4 of us or possibly even give Idaho a look.

Per the bolded sections:

1. While I understand this argument, I don't know if I agree. Having been a fan who has attended bowl games, I can tell you they are DAMN fun, and the communities hosting them roll out the red carpet for visiting fans, unlike frisco, where people don't even know a game is being played. Also, I can only assume that everyone taking this position regarding bowl games wants Montana basketball to move to DII or DIII. Obviously we have no shot at a championship at the DI level, and the playoffs at DIII would be more fun than an NCAA game.

2. What if that is too late? If we wait until there's a guaranteed playoff system, Central Washington or Incarnate Word or whatever Dixie calls themselves now may well have taken any available slot for us. Man, I cannot WAIT for that Friday night semifinal playoff game against George Fox University broadcast some guy's youtube channel.
See people keep saying this but what makes you think it'll be too late? If you actually think Incarnate Word or Dixie State would get a MWC invite before us then you're clearly on something. I guarantee you Haslam knows what's going on behind the scenes. He'll know when it's time for us to go.

Things do seem to be moving pretty quickly however. ACC commissioner Jim Phillips came out today and said the ACC is in agreement with the SEC that they do not want the CFP to expand past 4 teams. The more conferences pushback on this, the better the odds become of a P5-G5 split.
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1482029025904119808?s=20

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Per the bolded sections:

#1 poses a great question.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:
If you actually think Incarnate Word or Dixie State would get a MWC invite before us then you're clearly on something.

That is not what he said.
'If we wait until there's a guaranteed playoff system, Central Washington or Incarnate Word or whatever Dixie calls themselves now may well have taken any available slot for us".
Look, Dixie and UIW are never going to get an invite to the MWC even if our window of opportunity closes in on us to take a MWC invite. He said if we wait, then they may take any available slot that would've been for us. Guarantee you if the Mountain West comes calling for us, we're gonna take it, but even if we don't then I can think of several other schools they would look at before us. So if you wanna split hairs, then sure that's not exactly what he said, however he was basically implying that any way!

Griz til I die said:
EverettGriz said:
Per the bolded sections:

See people keep saying this but what makes you think it'll be too late? If you actually think Incarnate Word or Dixie State would get a MWC invite before us then you're clearly on something. I guarantee you Haslam knows what's going on behind the scenes. He'll know when it's time for us to go.

Things do seem to be moving pretty quickly however. ACC commissioner Jim Phillips came out today and said the ACC is in agreement with the SEC that they do not want the CFP to expand past 4 teams. The more conferences pushback on this, the better the odds become of a P5-G5 split.
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1482029025904119808?s=20
The ACC seems to be alone in their thinking... don't know why you think they are agreeing with the SEC as they were part of the 4 person steering committee that recommended an expansion to 12 teams. The ACC is trying to protect their revenue steam and the possibility of not having multiple teams in high payout bowls which concerns the membership as these bowls potentially become part of the playoff structure. Frankly I think his thinking is short sided and a bad position for college football in general at all levels. Another reason to question the NCAA and their lack of anything that matters...!

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
'If we wait until there's a guaranteed playoff system, Central Washington or Incarnate Word or whatever Dixie calls themselves now may well have taken any available slot for us".
Look, Dixie and UIW are never going to get an invite to the MWC even if our window of opportunity closes in on us to take a MWC invite. He said if we wait, then they may take any available slot that would've been for us. Guarantee you if the Mountain West comes calling for us, we're gonna take it, but even if we don't then I can think of several other schools they would look at before us. So if you wanna split hairs, then sure that's not exactly what he said, however he was basically implying that any way!

Still not what he said.

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Per the bolded sections:

I agree with everything you said.... BUT.... While I don't know about other years in Frisco, every bar and Restaurant we went to in Frisco this year (and areas surrounding it) had either "Welcome Bison fans" "Welcome Bobcats Fans" or "Welcome Bison and Bobcats Fans" all over the bar/Restaurant. All of them were packed with fans, and the town seemed to do a really good job of showing love to fans.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

Still not what he said.
Don't care. I'm just waiting for the day you provide any kind of meaningful content on this board instead of just chastising everyone!

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I agree that they aren't going to the MWC anytime soon, but I honestly believe Dixie and UIW will move up before UM and MSU do. Both programs seem like they realize they're in no position to dictate terms and seem to want to play at a higher level. Probably not soon for them, but with UM it feels like it's probably not ever.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

I agree that they aren't going to the MWC anytime soon, but I honestly believe Dixie and UIW will move up before UM and MSU do. Both programs seem like they realize they're in no position to dictate terms and seem to want to play at a higher level. Probably not soon for them, but with UM it feels like it's probably not ever.

I know nothing of Dixie State, but I can assure you UIW has about ZERO chance of moving up. They are in my backyard and they just don’t have those aspirations, I don’t believe.

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I know nothing of Dixie State, but I can assure you UIW has about ZERO chance of moving up. They are in my backyard and they just don’t have those aspirations, I don’t believe.

Sounds very familiar.

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Still not what he said.
Don't care. I'm just waiting for the day you provide any kind of meaningful content on this board instead of just chastising everyone!

Guess accuracy doesn't matter for you to deem something meaningful...and I think you do care.

Latest posts

Back