• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Creighton

Guys, Creighton is an excellent team. Are they Final Four material? Probably not but I could see them to the sweet 16 or if a few things went their way, maybe elite eight. This is not a fluke. Creighton is a legit NCAA tourney team on a fairly regular basis. We are just starting to get cemented at the top of the BSC consistently. We have some really good pieces but we have some depth issues. To hang with a team like Creighton we need to play excellently and they can not shoot lights out like they did. We helped in that some, in that I can’t count the number of times we lost a guy and he was wide open for three. I dont think our defensive effort is near what it was last year. Get the D going, shake the mental block at the FT line and we will be just fine. We definitely missed minutes and spark from T Falls. When Rorie isnt firing on all cylinders, T Falls is just a great alternative. Even when Rorie is rolling T Falls is great to have in there for significant minutes. Akoh was sorely missed tonight. Games like this help you really appreciate him. Need a transfer for next year. Chins up the year just started.

Post-game show with coach DeCuire is worth a listen.
[media]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/1068000617052946432[/media]

Disappointing loss, even with Akoh and Falls out. But, on to the next game. I do think Rorie has to step up more often than he does, and I think he will.
What is most troubling to me, is that this year's Griz are and experienced team and lost by a lot to a team that is rebuilding.

cmtgrizzly said:
Guys, Creighton is an excellent team. Are they Final Four material? Probably not but I could see them to the sweet 16 or if a few things went their way, maybe elite eight. This is not a fluke. Creighton is a legit NCAA tourney team on a fairly regular basis. We are just starting to get cemented at the top of the BSC consistently. We have some really good pieces but we have some depth issues. To hang with a team like Creighton we need to play excellently and they can not shoot lights out like they did. We helped in that some, in that I can’t count the number of times we lost a guy and he was wide open for three. I dont think our defensive effort is near what it was last year. Get the D going, shake the mental block at the FT line and we will be just fine. We definitely missed minutes and spark from T Falls. When Rorie isnt firing on all cylinders, T Falls is just a great alternative. Even when Rorie is rolling T Falls is great to have in there for significant minutes. Akoh was sorely missed tonight. Games like this help you really appreciate him. Need a transfer for next year. Chins up the year just started.

Creighton hasn't made a Sweet 16 in over 40 years. The Griz made them look better than they are is my guess. I love the passion of this fan base and the ultimate support for this team, but this was not a good showing. Only my opinion.

2 of our top six out. Honestly we never stood a chance. Then when they rain down 3's and make 60+%? Then we shoot <60% from the FT line? Game over. I watched them make floaters, step backs, someone in their face, etc., etc. It didn't seem to matter. You shoot like that and you're gonna win a lot of games. This was less about us (other than the FT's) and more about them.

Griz2k said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Creighton hasn't made a Sweet 16 in over 40 years. The Griz made them look better than they are is my guess. I love the passion of this fan base and the ultimate support for this team, but this was not a good showing. Only my opinion.

Never said they made the sweet sixteen with regularity. They make the tournament with some regularity out of a tough conference. They arent winning a weaker conference championship and getting in. I also never said it was a good showing. I felt some players just did not play to their potential and we shot poorly from the FT line. Cant have one person carrying the team each half. If you are trying to say we didnt play to our potetnial then I agree. If you are saying we are a typical BSC team and dont belong playing with Creighton and we embarrassed ourselves, you are wrong.

cmtgrizzly said:
Griz2k said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Never said they made the sweet sixteen with regularity. They make the tournament with some regularity out of a tough conference. They arent winning a weaker conference championship and getting in. I also never said it was a good showing. I felt some players just did not play to their potential and we shot poorly from the FT line. Cant have one person carrying the team each half. If you are trying to say we didnt play to our potetnial then I agree. If you are saying we are a typical BSC team and dont belong playing with Creighton and we embarrassed ourselves, you are wrong.

Hey, you can't say I'm wrong you dirty rotten piece of...oh wait, this isn't the football forum. Never mind!

I was just referring to your comment on Creighton potentially being an elite 8 team and pointing out their history of not going very far in the tournament. But who knows, maybe this is the year! You're right that they do make the tournament with decent regularity though and I'm not saying the Griz embarrassed themselves at all, but it was a pretty good beat down. I guess I'm just a little bit disappointed as I have really high hopes for this team this year and as somebody else pointed out in a different thread, I'm kind of getting tired of seeing them getting blown out on national television. Granted, I know we were without Akoh and Falls.

GrizLA said:
Disappointing loss, even with Akoh and Falls out. But, on to the next game. I do think Rorie has to step up more often than he does, and I think he will.
What is most troubling to me, is that this year's Griz are and experienced team and lost by a lot to a team that is rebuilding.

Not sure I would say "rebuilding". I think the Griz lack of bigs will be the issue against any P5 teams. I think the margin is disappointing, but even at full strength this game was going to be a struggle to win.

... the griz have made great strides...
...they are playing at the to rim...
...now make the big stride...
...play above the rim...

...fight on ...

grizindabox said:
GrizLA said:

Not sure I would say "rebuilding". I think the Griz lack of bigs will be the issue against any P5 teams. I think the margin is disappointing, but even at full strength this game was going to be a struggle to win.

Creighton is most certainly in a rebuilding year. Even their coach said that. That is why a 26 point beatdown of the Griz is so disturbing. Arizona might be embarrassing so the big challenges of South Dakota St and Irvine are going to be important should the Griz win the conference. Up till last week I did not see that as even a possibility but two losses in a row, and absence of key payers make it possible.

GrizLA said:
grizindabox said:
GrizLA said:

Creighton is most certainly in a rebuilding year. Even their coach said that. That is why a 26 point beatdown of the Griz is so disturbing. Arizona might be embarrassing so the big challenges of South Dakota St and Irvine are going to be important should the Griz win the conference. Up till last week I did not see that as even a possibility but two losses in a row, and absence of key payers make it possible.

Well, if they are truly "rebuilding" as opposed to just "reloading" than watch out. This "rebuilding" team already had wins over Boise, Ga St, and ranked Clemson. Pretty fun to know that a rebuilding P5 team is still better than a very solid BSC then, isn't it. That is pretty good coach speak too, try to damper the expectation going forward.

GrizLA said:
grizindabox said:
GrizLA said:

I actually think you have a better chance against Arizona than Creighton....Arizona is definitely not as loaded this year and if you're ever going to catch them on a down year, this is it.....

sacstateman said:
GrizLA said:
grizindabox said:
GrizLA said:

I actually think you have a better chance against Arizona than Creighton....Arizona is definitely not as loaded this year and if you're ever going to catch them on a down year, this is it.....

At AZ? Not a chance!

AllWeatherFan said:
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Creighton knock off the Zags. Good team, tough venue.

Not a chance. May be a fairly close game but Creighton isn't beating Gonzaga this year, despite Gonzaga having one of its best players and a top substitute out due to injuries.

A quick note from my Carolina Blue friend and rabid basketball nut, regarding our game against Creighton:

"No one could have beat Creighton last night. They shot 100% in the first 8 minutes of the game! That included 5 of 5 from the 3 point line. I thought the Grizzlies performed very well. Their point guard, Rohrer, had a bad game but that guy Pridgett needs to transfer to UNC. When you get your big man back, things should improve immensely. They were outgunned underneath the boards."

AllWeatherFan said:
All I know for sure is that Arizona beat Georgia Southern by 30 yesterday.

I noticed that. Well, the Big Dogs are Big Dogs for a reason. They're Big Dogs.

And I think it's important to remember that unlike football, where we're in a lower division, in basketball we're going to continue to be up against the best of the best, the Big Dogs. But then that's why I love basketball.

Some actual numbers for Creighton: Since 2010 (when Greg McDermott became their coach), the Bluejays have gone 187-94 (67%), with seven out of eight 20-win seasons. During those eight years, they’ve made the Big Dance five times and the NIT once. They’ve never gone real deep in the NCAA tournament, but made it out of the first round three of the five times.

Right now, they are ranked #29 in the AP Poll and #32 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. So while they are not Top-25 material at the moment, that’s a pretty damn good team the Griz faced.

BTW: Their NCAA "NET" rank is #38, but there's pretty much general agreement (outside the NCAA :D ) that that new rating system is total crap. If it weren't the NCAA, it would be hard to believe they could do something even more worthless than they have in the past.

Back