• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Early EGriz BSC Poll

uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
I'd take a coach from an elite FCS team who is working his ass off to get to the FBS. That seemed to work for the Griz when they were relevant in the conference and playing for chippers.

I get the rapport thing, but I'd prefer a coach who never talks about fishing. Why in the hell would that matter to a HS kid? Money for school - playing time - winning - those things matter to D1 athletes.
Definitely in agreement here. (shocking, I know :lol: )

IF they ever decide to move on from Hauck, this is the path I'd like for them to take going forward. In fact, I'd love to find a guy that agrees with CDA's idea of embracing the transfer portal into becoming a type of farm program for guys looking to move up. Come here, ball out, win a championship, and you'll be on an SEC team in 2-3 years.

I'm obviously with you both of you on this. I get that some Montanans like to feel unique (I was raised by two of them), and so I can see how some feel like a coach needs to "get" Montana and Montanans. But here's the thing: Football is the common thread, not location. I could find you PETA members in Montana, and I can see a bait/tackle shop from my office window in California.

As for the portal model, I just think it's a no-brainer. I was contacted by a several JC coaches (different sport) in HS whose pitch was exactly that. They rattled off lists of players they sent to Florida, ASU, etc. I didn't personally have that kind of talent, but the guys who did won NJCAA conference and national championships for those coaches before moving on. With the portal, we are basically operating in that world in my opinion. BH and staff can sell their connections to FBS programs both ways.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
You underestimate how import rapport and development of good relationships between the players and coaches is. It may be even more important now, in the days of transfer. Of course, you wouldn't know because you never played the game and never went through the recruiting process with your kids and relatives. And, fishing matters to a lot of MT kids. Yes, and the other things matters too, but most players enjoy playing for coaches they respect and like. Everyone doesn't have to like the head coach. I don't know why a school like UM would ever bring in a complete outsider of a football coach again. Too much is lost. In the new days of fundraising by coaches and NIL, having a coach with a connection is very important.

I have raised 2x - soon to be 3x D1 female athletes. I know a little something about this....money - playing time - winning. Those things are the most important to them...in that order. Stay in your lane - the slow lane.

Have you ever looked at the resumes of the Griz coaches? You don't think they talk to players about winning? About money? About playing time? Or do you honestly think they just throw out a fly rod and call it good? If the Griz have a decent season and they let go of Bobby do you think it would be an attractive job? It killed Stitt's career. Is some young coach going to take this job realizing that the expectations are unrealistic. Idaho was a mess under Petrino. Petrino lost interest when they went back to FCS. Idaho SHOULD be good in Big Sky.And they found a great one in Eck. Choate did a great job and set up Vigen for success. And he has done a nice job. I think that Bobby has done a good job since coming back. Playoff wins and a historic win over UW.

UncleRico said:
SoldierGriz said:
I have raised 2x - soon to be 3x D1 female athletes. I know a little something about this....money - playing time - winning. Those things are the most important to them...in that order. Stay in your lane - the slow lane.

Have you ever looked at the resumes of the Griz coaches? You don't think they talk to players about winning? About money? About playing time? Or do you honestly think they just throw out a fly rod and call it good? If the Griz have a decent season and they let go of Bobby do you think it would be an attractive job? It killed Stitt's career. Is some young coach going to take this job realizing that the expectations are unrealistic. Idaho was a mess under Petrino. Petrino lost interest when they went back to FCS. Idaho SHOULD be good in Big Sky.And they found a great one in Eck. Choate did a great job and set up Vigen for success. And he has done a nice job. I think that Bobby has done a good job since coming back. Playoff wins and a historic win over UW.

It is sad how quickly people forgot that win over Washington when discussing how the Hauck regime has done. I was absolutely screaming. The return of Hauck as head coach has been an absolute success and improvement on what we had in previous years. We have made the semifinals, we were good enough to give a top JMU team a lot of trouble if we had our starters not hurt, we had a Toure break Randy Moss' receiving record, the defeat of Eastern in the playoffs rematch that shut them up, the Washington win.

After all of that, we make the playoffs, get a win, but finish sixth in the conference. That really is not a bad resume. If you had told us when Hauck came back that that would be his Year 3 and 4, I think we all would have breathed a sigh of relief.

ElrodGrizzly said:
UncleRico said:

It is sad how quickly people forgot that win over Washington when discussing how the Hauck regime has done. I was absolutely screaming. The return of Hauck as head coach has been an absolute success and improvement on what we had in previous years. We have made the semifinals, we were good enough to give a top JMU team a lot of trouble if we had our starters not hurt, we had a Toure break Randy Moss' receiving record, the defeat of Eastern in the playoffs rematch that shut them up, the Washington win.

After all of that, we make the playoffs, get a win, but finish sixth in the conference. That really is not a bad resume. If you had told us when Hauck came back that that would be his Year 3 and 4, I think we all would have breathed a sigh of relief.

But 15 years ago when we were playing for national championships when wait.. check notes..oh yea Bobby Hauck was coaching.

UncleRico said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

But 15 years ago when we were playing for national championships when wait.. check notes..oh yea Bobby Hauck was coaching.

Oh - he knows exactly what RTD is when he self-inflicted that slogan...

SoldierGriz said:
UncleRico said:

[/quot

116-34 overall as head coach at UM. Yea let's fire that guy.

UncleRico said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

Griz won a couple with BH not coaching, so....

SoldierGriz said:
UncleRico said:

I have never said he should be fired. I've simply said he is on the hot seat - which is true. The fact he has no extension going into a contract year is all the evidence needed. That is simply not common for a D1 football coach. It puts (younger) assistants in a very tough position. If things go a bit side-ways during the season ---they absolutely begin making phone calls. They covet job security or echeloning up.

If he turns things around this year --- his seat will cool and he'll get extended.

SoldierGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:

I have never said he should be fired. I've simply said he is on the hot seat - which is true. The fact he has no extension going into a contract year is all the evidence needed. That is simply not common for a D1 football coach. It puts (younger) assistants in a very tough position. If things go a bit side-ways during the season ---they absolutely begin making phone calls. They covet job security or echeloning up.

If he turns things around this year --- his seat will cool and he'll get extended.

I feel optimistic about the future of Griz football. Three really tough loses last year that came down to a couple plays each game. Some issues like play calling, depth at QB and OL have I think been addressed. I think with Bradford and Tim Hauck the Griz will correct issues with stopping the run. It was a fine line from 5 loses to 2 last year. And the year before we beat UW, thumped the Cats and were playing at a high level before losing to JM. I think Griz are closer to being really good than people realize. PS the returners plus a group of stud redshirt frosh, Gilman, Genatone, Walton and Ramos will contribute in a big way this year.

UncleRico said:
SoldierGriz said:

I feel optimistic about the future of Griz football. Three really tough loses last year that came down to a couple plays each game. Some issues like play calling, depth at QB and OL have I think been addressed. I think with Bradford and Tim Hauck the Griz will correct issues with stopping the run. It was a fine line from 5 loses to 2 last year. And the year before we beat UW, thumped the Cats and were playing at a high level before losing to JM. I think Griz are closer to being really good than people realize. PS the returners plus a group of stud redshirt frosh, Gilman, Genatone, Walton and Ramos will contribute in a big way this year.

I an excited for the season to get here to see how the changes go as well.

I gripe a bunch, but cheer like a friggin mad man for the Griz.

SoldierGriz said:
garizzalies said:
Private bubcat and Growler have been teaming up lately to form a mega troll.
Look at them quoting each other and patting each other on the back.
My nanna always said you are the company you keep.

DM me for a mentoring session. If you do well - we'll sign a contract. I can help you as well as PR - your daddy.

Why the hell would I want to learn how to be a bubcat troll like you and ole Growls?

Do you just love the smell of your own farts? Do you have a nickname for it? Like Private Poofs?

Do you also like being affiliated with Growler? Two peas in a pod.

garizzalies said:
SoldierGriz said:
DM me for a mentoring session. If you do well - we'll sign a contract. I can help you as well as PR - your daddy.

Why the hell would I want to learn how to be a bubcat troll like you and ole Growls?

Do you just love the smell of your own farts? Do you have a nickname for it? Like Private Poofs?

:coffee:

UncleRico said:
SoldierGriz said:
I'd take a coach from an elite FCS team who is working his ass off to get to the FBS. That seemed to work for the Griz when they were relevant in the conference and playing for chippers.

I get the rapport thing, but I'd prefer a coach who never talks about fishing. Why in the hell would that matter to a HS kid? Money for school - playing time - winning - those things matter to D1 athletes.
I'm not quite why you mention fishing so much in your posts. Hell yea it is a selling point for a kid to come to MT. Just like the beach would in San Diego. Look how many of these kids talk about how excited they are to fish in MT. I can remember that specifically in interviews with Vidlak and Racanelli. I think they sell the whole "Money for school - playing time - winning - those things matter to D1 athletes." But if we are competing against NDSU and SDSU or any other of these schools and you find out a kid likes to fish then hell yes break out a River Runs Through It. It is part of what makes Missoula awesome.

I think you're 100% correct. If fishing matters to a kid, sell them on that as an additional factor. Same with disc golf, or bowling, or lawn darts. My point is: Those things exist in many, many places. I don't think a UM coach has to be from Montana to sell the recruits' interests to him. I've never played disc golf in my life, but if there was a kid who ran a 4.3 from Anywhere, USA who was super into disc golf, I would be able to tell him about "all the amazing disc golf Missoula has to offer."

CDAGRIZ said:
UncleRico said:
I'm not quite why you mention fishing so much in your posts. Hell yea it is a selling point for a kid to come to MT. Just like the beach would in San Diego. Look how many of these kids talk about how excited they are to fish in MT. I can remember that specifically in interviews with Vidlak and Racanelli. I think they sell the whole "Money for school - playing time - winning - those things matter to D1 athletes." But if we are competing against NDSU and SDSU or any other of these schools and you find out a kid likes to fish then hell yes break out a River Runs Through It. It is part of what makes Missoula awesome.

I think you're 100% correct. If fishing matters to a kid, sell them on that as an additional factor. Same with disc golf, or bowling, or lawn darts. My point is: Those things exist in many, many places. I don't think a UM coach has to be from Montana to sell the recruits' interests to him. I've never played disc golf in my life, but if there was a kid who ran a 4.3 from Anywhere, USA who was super into disc golf, I would be able to tell him about "all the amazing disc golf Missoula has to offer."

Female to male student body ratio is a number coaches must have if recruiting males. Female recruits - not so much? Not sure.

SoldierGriz said:
garizzalies said:

:coffee:
🕵️🍑💨💨

[Private Poofs]

CDAGRIZ said:
uofmman1122 said:
Definitely in agreement here. (shocking, I know :lol: )

IF they ever decide to move on from Hauck, this is the path I'd like for them to take going forward. In fact, I'd love to find a guy that agrees with CDA's idea of embracing the transfer portal into becoming a type of farm program for guys looking to move up. Come here, ball out, win a championship, and you'll be on an SEC team in 2-3 years.

I'm obviously with you both of you on this. I get that some Montanans like to feel unique (I was raised by two of them), and so I can see how some feel like a coach needs to "get" Montana and Montanans. But here's the thing: Football is the common thread, not location. I could find you PETA members in Montana, and I can see a bait/tackle shop from my office window in California.

As for the portal model, I just think it's a no-brainer. I was contacted by a several JC coaches (different sport) in HS whose pitch was exactly that. They rattled off lists of players they sent to Florida, ASU, etc. I didn't personally have that kind of talent, but the guys who did won NJCAA conference and national championships for those coaches before moving on. With the portal, we are basically operating in that world in my opinion. BH and staff can sell their connections to FBS programs both ways.

They were asking about some of the superior athletes you had on the Purple Jaguars, weren't they?

I think it's a toss-up with Davis (easy schedule), scats (really tough road schedule), Griz, and idaho for the top 4. I wouldn't be surprised after last year's road scares if the scats drop a couple, if not 3, and see them ending up 4th. Davis has the schedule but always underperform when it matters. Griz are the biggest wild-card on what team shows up this coming year, but I like their chances. Idaho, I could see a bit of a sophomore slump. Everyone has a year on them, they didn't exactly set the world on fire last year, and I think people are giving them WAY too much credit for their win over the Griz last year; they lost a close game to suck state and got murdered by Davis, and didn't play anyone else outside of their two D-1 games. I would say Davis/Griz are 1-2, and idaho/scats are 3-4.

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

They were asking about some of the superior athletes you had on the Purple Jaguars, weren't they?

Yes. The JC coaches said the first-grade coursework my players had completed would be more than enough to prepare them for the rigors of junior college/EWU.

Back