• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Early EGriz BSC Poll

1. Spuds
2. Griz
3. kitties
4. Davis
5. Poly
6. Webs
7. S.S.
8. NAU
9. EWU
10. PSU
11. ISU
12. NC

UncleRico said:
SoldierGriz said:
DM me for a mentoring session. If you do well - we'll sign a contract. I can help you as well as PR - your daddy.

Unless there is a major collapse this year (sub .500) or a major controversy (a jersey number is not major) Bobby will get extension on his contract. Griz are better than they were when he came back. Season ticket sales are steady and the Griz are going to be tough this year. Bobby saw where some changes needed to be made on his staff and made them. Even though I think Bobby is still unnecessarily a prick at times to local media I think he is a very good coach. I don't think people realize how hard it would be to find someone that has both a connection to the state of Montana and connections for talent outside of it like Bobby. One more contract for him and then it will be Shann Schillinger after he tears it up at Mary.

A lot of people don't understand how important this is. Bobby Hauck loves Montana Grizzly Football, period. He also has a LOT of connections. People criticize him on here for bringing in transfer QB's from the portal without realizing that those stud QB's all came because of him. Sneed came with him. Johnson had known Hauck since high school. He was talking this spring about how there are kids that are in the portal, but we won't sign them unless there is a connection to their previous coaching staff that will have a vetting conversation.

When Hauck is replaced, the list of people with a Montana connection and those contacts is very, very small.

thirdandlong said:
Of note is the continued refusal for even ONE egriz poster to go on record and answer my question as to how many additional seasons will you be willing to give Bobby to Return To Dominance, as he promised. This will be season six. If he continues to finish 3rd or worse in the conference, lose again to the Cats, and fail to go deep in the playoffs, will you support him for a seventh season? And remember that most of you are predicting a finish lower than 2nd in the Sky.

It is impossible to give you "how many additional seasons," as a specific number. That would void all context of how it goes. I've been a supporter of the Grizzlies for nearly as long as I can remember. I am currently far happier as a fan and more excited than I was before Hauck came back. You have to remember that just a couple of years ago, we were a Cam and Akem injury away from being in a dog fight with JMU. Last year was a disappointing finish compared to pre-season expectations for me, sure, but there are logical reasons for that outside of the coaching staff. We were a couple of calls away from the Sac State and Weber games being different outcomes.

So the answer is all in the context. I want us to keep taking steps in the right direction. I think that this year we will have our best offense since Sneed and Toure left. I believe that in Bradford and Tim Hauck, we have ridiculously highly credentialed defensive minds on the defensive side of the ball. Because I feel we are still headed in the same upward direction that we have been, then I'm all for continuing that trend.

Last year was disappointing, but I don't know when one disappointing season started making people tuck their tail. Just a few weeks to kickoff, and we will see how it goes then.

ElrodGrizzly said:
thirdandlong said:
Of note is the continued refusal for even ONE egriz poster to go on record and answer my question as to how many additional seasons will you be willing to give Bobby to Return To Dominance, as he promised. This will be season six. If he continues to finish 3rd or worse in the conference, lose again to the Cats, and fail to go deep in the playoffs, will you support him for a seventh season? And remember that most of you are predicting a finish lower than 2nd in the Sky.

It is impossible to give you "how many additional seasons," as a specific number. That would void all context of how it goes. I've been a supporter of the Grizzlies for nearly as long as I can remember. I am currently far happier as a fan and more excited than I was before Hauck came back. You have to remember that just a couple of years ago, we were a Cam and Akem injury away from being in a dog fight with JMU. Last year was a disappointing finish compared to pre-season expectations for me, sure, but there are logical reasons for that outside of the coaching staff. We were a couple of calls away from the Sac State and Weber games being different outcomes.

So the answer is all in the context. I want us to keep taking steps in the right direction. I think that this year we will have our best offense since Sneed and Toure left. I believe that in Bradford and Tim Hauck, we have ridiculously highly credentialed defensive minds on the defensive side of the ball. Because I feel we are still headed in the same upward direction that we have been, then I'm all for continuing that trend.

Last year was disappointing, but I don't know when one disappointing season started making people tuck their tail. Just a few weeks to kickoff, and we will see how it goes then.
You aren't allowed to ever bring context into anything here.

Most of the people shitting on the staff think context is just excuses. We should be able to overcome any outside influence or obstacle because we're Montana, and if you don't agree, you're okay with mediocrity and your standards have fallen to pathetic levels.

We should do better than last season, but I agree with others that have said unless something goes horribly wrong on and/or off the field, Hauck is likely getting extended again.

thirdandlong said:
SoldierGriz said:
His plans will change if he doesn't meet expectations of one if the few Blue-blood FCS programs left.

You're better than this Kem.

No, he's not. He is fine with 6th place finishes and being destroyed by the Bobcats 4 out of 5 seasons. PLAYOFFS??? Whose talking about PLAYOFFS???

Everyone is into the playoffs. Playoffs, along with final season poll ranking, are how FCS team are measured and compared.

kemajic said:
mthoopsfan said:
His contract isn't done yet. Most contracts don't get extended until later in the final year. I thought they would extend the contract earlier, but Hauck said publicly that he didn't care, or something like that.
He plans to coach another 5 years.

If you are going to assert that Bobby plans to coach another 5 years, you need better sources than his telling you that last week. You need links. Not that Growler could open a link, but he apparently questions your source. What an idiot he is.

ElrodGrizzly said:
UncleRico said:
Unless there is a major collapse this year (sub .500) or a major controversy (a jersey number is not major) Bobby will get extension on his contract. Griz are better than they were when he came back. Season ticket sales are steady and the Griz are going to be tough this year. Bobby saw where some changes needed to be made on his staff and made them. Even though I think Bobby is still unnecessarily a prick at times to local media I think he is a very good coach. I don't think people realize how hard it would be to find someone that has both a connection to the state of Montana and connections for talent outside of it like Bobby. One more contract for him and then it will be Shann Schillinger after he tears it up at Mary.

A lot of people don't understand how important this is. Bobby Hauck loves Montana Grizzly Football, period. He also has a LOT of connections. People criticize him on here for bringing in transfer QB's from the portal without realizing that those stud QB's all came because of him. Sneed came with him. Johnson had known Hauck since high school. He was talking this spring about how there are kids that are in the portal, but we won't sign them unless there is a connection to their previous coaching staff that will have a vetting conversation.

When Hauck is replaced, the list of people with a Montana connection and those contacts is very, very small.

The new AD should look a bit East - to the Dakotas for coaches experienced in winning chippers.

Spuds did well in this regard...Huge improvement in a single season...

The Montana connection for a coach is the same lame argument people make for recruiting more players from Montana.

SoldierGriz said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

The new AD should look a bit East - to the Dakotas for coaches experienced in winning chippers.

The Montana connection for a coach is the same lame argument people make for recruiting more players from Montana.

It matters to me for a few reasons.

1) Somewhat less likely to just be looking for a three year job as a stepping stone.

2) Being able to talk to Montanans. Talk to some of the players Stitt recruited who went to MSU. They didn't mesh with Stitt. Bobby gets Montana kids. He can talk fishing with a lot of them. Stuff like that matters.

3) I'd rather have a coach who understands and loves Missoula, MT, and who loathes MSU. I like having that in a coach. Does that part matter in the standings? No. But I greatly prefer it.

ElrodGrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

1) Somewhat less likely to just be looking for a three year job as a stepping stone.

2) Being able to talk to Montanans. Talk to some of the players Stitt recruited who went to MSU. They didn't mesh with Stitt. Bobby gets Montana kids. He can talk fishing with a lot of them. Stuff like that matters.

3) I'd rather have a coach who understands and loves Missoula, MT, and who loathes MSU. I like having that in a coach. Does that part matter in the standings? No. But I greatly prefer it.

I'd take a coach from an elite FCS team who is working his ass off to get to the FBS. That seemed to work for the Griz when they were relevant in the conference and playing for chippers.

I get the rapport thing, but I'd prefer a coach who never talks about fishing. Why in the hell would that matter to a HS kid? Money for school - playing time - winning - those things matter to D1 athletes.

ElrodGrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

funny. None of those things seem to be stopping the MSU coach...

SoldierGriz said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

I'd take a coach from an elite FCS team who is working his ass off to get to the FBS. That seemed to work for the Griz when they were relevant in the conference and playing for chippers.

I get the rapport thing, but I'd prefer a coach who never talks about fishing. Why in the hell would that matter to a HS kid? Money for school - playing time - winning - those things matter to D1 athletes.
Definitely in agreement here. (shocking, I know :lol: )

IF they ever decide to move on from Hauck, this is the path I'd like for them to take going forward. In fact, I'd love to find a guy that agrees with CDA's idea of embracing the transfer portal into becoming a type of farm program for guys looking to move up. Come here, ball out, win a championship, and you'll be on an SEC team in 2-3 years.

SoldierGriz said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

I'm not quite why you mention fishing so much in your posts. Hell yea it is a selling point for a kid to come to MT. Just like the beach would in San Diego. Look how many of these kids talk about how excited they are to fish in MT. I can remember that specifically in interviews with Vidlak and Racanelli. I think they sell the whole "Money for school - playing time - winning - those things matter to D1 athletes." But if we are competing against NDSU and SDSU or any other of these schools and you find out a kid likes to fish then hell yes break out a River Runs Through It. It is part of what makes Missoula awesome.

SoldierGriz said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

You underestimate how import rapport and development of good relationships between the players and coaches is. It may be even more important now, in the days of transfer. Of course, you wouldn't know because you never played the game and never went through the recruiting process with your kids and relatives. And, fishing matters to a lot of MT kids. Yes, and the other things matters too, but most players enjoy playing for coaches they respect and like. Everyone doesn't have to like the head coach. I don't know why a school like UM would ever bring in a complete outsider of a football coach again. Too much is lost. In the new days of fundraising by coaches and NIL, having a coach with a connection is very important.

UncleRico said:
But if we are competing against NDSU and SDSU or any other of these schools and you find out a kid likes to fish then hell yes break out a River Runs Through It. It is part of what makes Missoula awesome.
Missoula? Since the movie was filmed on the Gallatin and upper Yellowstone, you're offering a blueprint for MSU recruiting.

AZGrizFan said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

Bingo! Well said.

poorgriz said:
GottaluvGriz said:
If the Griz finish 5th or worse this coming year, then Haslam should plan on making a change at HC for the 2024 season.
Time would be up.

No, no, no. It all depends on the health of your starting QB. If your starting QB makes it through the entire season without missing any snaps, AND you finish 5th.... then yes - make the change. If he gets hurt though, all bets are off and it doesn't matter where you end the season because you can all point to your very good QB getting hurt, as an excuse.

Whaaat? You'd have to be a mental midget to believe that. Obviously you've never played the game.... Davis has the best schedule and a good enough team to win the conference. Cats have the best team in the conference, but worst schedule. I'd guess Davis, Cats, after that who cares?

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

You underestimate how import rapport and development of good relationships between the players and coaches is. It may be even more important now, in the days of transfer. Of course, you wouldn't know because you never played the game and never went through the recruiting process with your kids and relatives. And, fishing matters to a lot of MT kids. Yes, and the other things matters too, but most players enjoy playing for coaches they respect and like. Everyone doesn't have to like the head coach. I don't know why a school like UM would ever bring in a complete outsider of a football coach again. Too much is lost. In the new days of fundraising by coaches and NIL, having a coach with a connection is very important.

I have raised 2x - soon to be 3x D1 female athletes. I know a little something about this....money - playing time - winning. Those things are the most important to them...in that order. Stay in your lane - the slow lane.

AZGrizFan said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

...or, the spuds - although Eck spent a bit of time there very early in his career.

kemajic said:
UncleRico said:
But if we are competing against NDSU and SDSU or any other of these schools and you find out a kid likes to fish then hell yes break out a River Runs Through It. It is part of what makes Missoula awesome.
Missoula? Since the movie was filmed on the Gallatin and upper Yellowstone, you're offering a blueprint for MSU recruiting.

The fishing around Missoula is awesome. It wasn't filmed on the Blackfoot because of pollution back in the day. But the restoration of the Blackfoot has been pretty incredible in the last 20 years. A lot of friends of mine east of the divide think that the air is still polluted in Missoula also.

UncleRico said:
SoldierGriz said:

I'm not quite why you mention fishing so much in your posts. Hell yea it is a selling point for a kid to come to MT. Just like the beach would in San Diego. Look how many of these kids talk about how excited they are to fish in MT. I can remember that specifically in interviews with Vidlak and Racanelli. I think they sell the whole "Money for school - playing time - winning - those things matter to D1 athletes." But if we are competing against NDSU and SDSU or any other of these schools and you find out a kid likes to fish then hell yes break out a River Runs Through It. It is part of what makes Missoula awesome.

Your list of recruits the Griz coaches have snagged from UNDSU or the southern version based on fishing will be very, very small...

Back