• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GAME DAY THREAD - Pokey

grizalum01 said:
Didn’t play our best but we won. Just like in 2009 when we went there. We were 8-0, ISU was 0-9 and we had to kick a field goal to win.
5-0 with a bye week. Right where we want to be.

Every single time we play poorly against a team we should beat handily the last 10 years we say this. Well 09’ blah blah blah… Well we haven’t been to the championship since 09’ and if team plays like it did today against any remaining team on the schedule other than maybe cal poly we will lose. Honestly we could have lost that one if the onside kick goes their way. They stunk today, and that’s all there is to it

IdahoGrizFan said:
That would be an unwise move to bench the top QB in the nation over a fumble. I did see coach yelling at some one on the sidelines. Who knows.

That was Barker and bobby wasn't wishing him a happy birthday, that was pure Klingon.

HelenaHandBasket said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Here comes Helena to tell you to perk up, or that you’re no fun at parties.

Nope, this whining is pretty fun.

I personally dont mind a little constructive whining as long as it doesn't become what it can be on the state (pussy) board. As for this game, I have a lot of faith in Hauck making the necessary adjustments over the next 2 weeks. This game could have been the best thing to happen to gain focus.

Even the coaches were off. Twice the Griz went for it on fourth down (turned down 50 and 46 yard FG attempts) and turned it over on downs.

HelenaHandBasket said:
mtgriz said:
Even the coaches were off. Twice the Griz went for it on fourth down (turned down 50 and 46 yard FG attempts) and turned it over on downs.

Not sure why you believe this was an issue.

Because those are not overly difficult FG attempts in domes and any kind of points there preempts Idaho State momentum from building.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
grizalum01 said:
Didn’t play our best but we won. Just like in 2009 when we went there. We were 8-0, ISU was 0-9 and we had to kick a field goal to win.
5-0 with a bye week. Right where we want to be.

Every single time we play poorly against a team we should beat handily the last 10 years we say this. Well 09’ blah blah blah… Well we haven’t been to the championship since 09’ and if team plays like it did today against any remaining team on the schedule other than maybe cal poly we will lose. Honestly we could have lost that one if the onside kick goes their way. They stunk today, and that’s all there is to it

You made my point. We went to the championship when we went to Holt and stunk up the barnyard. And if you want to play the what if game about the onside, LJ doesn't fumble in the endzone and its 35-6.

grizalum01 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

You made my point. We went to the championship when we went to Holt and stunk up the barnyard. And if you want to play the what if game about the onside, LJ doesn't fumble in the endzone and its 35-6.

It’s also a strange day. Hell UCONN won! Pen State played like crap at home against Northwestern. Remember what everyone said going into the UW game last year “any given Saturday…”

I’ll take the W. The Griz are 5-0. That eases the sting of todays lesson.

grizalum01 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

He did fumble and did not even attempt to protect the ball on that run.

Here’s what I’ll say. From an execution standpoint, today was a terrible day. Johnson played without a doubt his worse game of the year, and was especially bad in the 2nd half, 4th quarter. That said, if he doesn’t fumble it’s 35-6, both teams likely stop trying and they put the backups in, and nobody here is complaining. Similar to the USD game, the Griz had the potential to really run up the score today, but turned the ball over and failed to execute. NDSU had the same thing happen to them in the 1st half last week, but they learned from it and cleaned it up in the 2nd half. This is a good wake up call for the offense specifically to keep executing and keep playing. We have these funky games every year. Move on! Now onto the bye week and rest up for the stretch run.

HelenaHandBasket said:
mtgriz said:
Because those are not overly difficult FG attempts in domes and any kind of points there preempts Idaho State momentum from building.

So hindsight and no faith in the Griz offense.

Actually, no. I’ve watched Bobby Ball all these years and in my opinion those two decisions cut against the grain of his usual in-game strategy. And both times I thought that before the 4th down play was run. So foresight and faith in the Griz special teams.

mtgriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
So hindsight and no faith in the Griz offense.

Actually, no. I’ve watched Bobby Ball all these years and in my opinion those two decisions cut against the grain of his usual in-game strategy. And both times I thought that before the 4th down play was run. So foresight and faith in the Griz special teams.

Seems your confidence level was a 180 from Bobby. Personally, I have zero issue with those decisions and definitely don't think it was the coaches being "off". I also think you underestimate the difficulty of a 50 ys FG.

Griz til I die said:
Here’s what I’ll say. From an execution standpoint, today was a terrible day. Johnson played without a doubt his worse game of the year, and was especially bad in the 2nd half, 4th quarter. That said, if he doesn’t fumble it’s 35-6, both teams likely stop trying and they put the backups in, and nobody here is complaining. Similar to the USD game, the Griz had the potential to really run up the score today, but turned the ball over and failed to execute. NDSU had the same thing happen to them in the 1st half last week, but they learned from it and cleaned it up in the 2nd half. This is a good wake up call for the offense specifically to keep executing and keep playing. We have these funky games every year. Move on! Now onto the bye week and rest up for the stretch run.

why can't you give some credit to ISU. You won by 8 against their 3rd string QB. They were prepared and had a game plan.

MikeyGriz said:
zengriz said:
…on the rug in thee ol’ potato shed…
…speed accelerates like in-door track…
…then the potential of injury also increases…
…control the game and get on the bus with the w…

:cool:

And no injuries!

…yo.. mikey…
…what i was trying to articulate…

:cool:

HelenaHandBasket said:
mtgriz said:

Seems your confidence level was a 180 from Bobby. Personally, I have zero issue with those decisions and definitely don't think it was the coaches being "off". I also think you underestimate the difficulty of a 50 ys FG.

Is it possible to have a nuanced take on things in this day and age? I wasn’t 180 from Bobby, they weren’t unreasonable decisions to go for it. All I said originally is that it seemed a bit off from how he usually strategizes in-game.

Latest posts

Back