• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GAME DAY THREAD - Pokey

grizalum01 said:
Didn’t play our best but we won. Just like in 2009 when we went there. We were 8-0, ISU was 0-9 and we had to kick a field goal to win.
5-0 with a bye week. Right where we want to be.

I was there in 2009. That was an equally ugly game, and the Griz came out with a win. Sometimes you just have to suck it up, thank the FB gods for the win, and move on.

'68griz said:
grizalum01 said:
Didn’t play our best but we won. Just like in 2009 when we went there. We were 8-0, ISU was 0-9 and we had to kick a field goal to win.
5-0 with a bye week. Right where we want to be.

I was there in 2009. That was an equally ugly game, and the Griz came out with a win. Sometimes you just have to suck it up, thank the FB gods for the win, and move on.

I wish we would all stop with the 09’ references. Every single time we play like garbage against an inferior opponent we reference the 09’ team and the run up to the title. It’s so predictable, and we used that mental math a lot during the stitt and Delaney years of mediocrity. If the team is who we think they are and what I think they can be, they have no business letting a team like ISU hang with them. That was a real shitty football team that pushed The Griz around at times today. The teams gonna have to own that and move on obviously, but if they play like that against any one of the 6 remaining teams on our schedule it will be a loss. What’s worrisome about the way we continue to play on the road vs at home, is that it pretty much guarantees that we won’t be hosting playoffs due to the way the schedule set up this year, and likewise won’t be making a title run. We don’t bring the energy on the road to Weber, sac, or msu they will all win, and we won’t be winning on the road in the playoffs if history is an indicator of the likelihood of road success post season

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
'68griz said:

I wish we would all stop with the 09’ references. Every single time we play like garbage against an inferior opponent we reference the 09’ team and the run up to the title. It’s so predictable, and we used that mental math a lot during the stitt and Delaney years of mediocrity. If the team is who we think they are and what I think they can be, they have no business letting a team like ISU hang with them. That was a real shitty football team that pushed The Griz around at times today. The teams gonna have to own that and move on obviously, but if they play like that against any one of the 6 remaining teams on our schedule it will be a loss. What’s worrisome about the way we continue to play on the road vs at home, is that it pretty much guarantees that we won’t be hosting playoffs due to the way the schedule set up this year, and likewise won’t be making a title run. We don’t bring the energy on the road to Weber, sac, or msu they will all win, and we won’t be winning on the road in the playoffs if history is an indicator of the likelihood of road success post season

👍🏻

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
'68griz said:

Games like this happen every year at EVERY level of football.

R E L A X.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
'68griz said:

I get the annoyance at the constant references. It’s an easy reference to illustrate that even great teams have bad games. Another example from today: No.1 Georgia just narrowly won against a 2-2 Mizzou team that had no business hanging with them as long as they did. Great teams have bad games.

But remember that this is one game. It was a bad game by the Griz, but they managed to hold on. There is definitely stuff to work on and I can guarantee that the coaches are fighting mad. I can guarantee that the players are fighting mad too. This was a quicksand game, and honestly I’m pretty stoked that they didn’t completely implode. Last years team doesn’t win this game.

Also, don’t sell ISU short. They fought like hell and stuck around. They could have easily folded, but they kept swinging and got close to making this much more of a nail biter. That’s pretty impressive given what they have to work with.

Look back at any of her seven years the GRIZ played in the championship. There will be at least one game every year like this one. Hell, the 95 team lost a game by like 35. Super bowl NFL teams always have like two losses which make you think WTF.

It happens. It’s a road win. It gives them things to improve on the bye. All good.

PDXGrizzly said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

I get the annoyance at the constant references. It’s an easy reference to illustrate that even great teams have bad games. Another example from today: No.1 Georgia just narrowly won against a 2-2 Mizzou team that had no business hanging with them as long as they did. Great teams have bad games.

But remember that this is one game. It was a bad game by the Griz, but they managed to hold on. There is definitely stuff to work on and I can guarantee that the coaches are fighting mad. I can guarantee that the players are fighting mad too. This was a quicksand game, and honestly I’m pretty stoked that they didn’t completely implode. Last years team doesn’t win this game.

Also, don’t sell ISU short. They fought like hell and stuck around. They could have easily folded, but they kept swinging and got close to making this much more of a nail biter. That’s pretty impressive given what they have to work with.

I was at the Georgia-Mizzou game and suffice it to say coaching and discipline (or the lack thereof on the part of the Mizzou kids) cost them the game. Like it or not, the talent level of an SEC football team is out of this world and even in all three phases of football: offense, defense and special teams. Coaching is all that separates that great talent pool. That first half Georgia looked like shit because of bullshit mistakes and a lack of discipline. One can only imagine the half time "discussion" Kirby and the assistant coaches had.

When Mizzou went up ten points in the second half, the crowd around me asked if I saw that coming and it got worse (I was wearing my Georgia clothing so yes, I got a bit of shit for three and a half quarters). I mentioned how out of control the sidelines looked for Mizzou compared to Georgia's and said early in the fourth if the OC doesn't kill the clock instead of his bullshit double reverse of shuffle pass shit, they're going to piss a huge lead away. Enough said.

Score more points than the other team. One point more counts in the W column just as much as a three point score. The Mizzou coaching staff should all get the same treatment Nebraska and Georgia Tech gave their staff. (Did those two schools win today with an interim staff?). How's the KSU quarterback doing in Manhattan, Kansas this year compared to Nebraska?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PDXGrizzly said:

I was at the Georgia-Mizzou game and suffice it to say coaching and discipline (or the lack thereof on the part of the Mizzou kids) cost them the game. Like it or not, the talent level of an SEC football team is out of this world and even in all three phases of football: offense, defense and special teams. Coaching is all that separates that great talent pool. That first half Georgia looked like shit because of bullshit mistakes and a lack of discipline. One can only imagine the half time "discussion" Kirby and the assistant coaches had.

When Mizzou went up ten points in the second half, the crowd around me asked if I saw that coming and it got worse (I was wearing my Georgia clothing so yes, I got a bit of shit for three and a half quarters). I mentioned how out of control the sidelines looked for Mizzou compared to Georgia's and said early in the fourth if the OC doesn't kill the clock instead of his bullshit double reverse of shuffle pass shit, they're going to piss a huge lead away. Enough said.

Score more points than the other team. One point more counts in the W column just as much as a three point score. The Mizzou coaching staff should all get the same treatment Nebraska and Georgia Tech gave their staff. (Did those two schools win today with an interim staff?). How's the KSU quarterback doing in Manhattan, Kansas this year compared to Nebraska?

Adrian Martinez is a problem for the Big 12...as he was for SEC Mizzou.

That game reminded me of the Western Illinois game a couple years ago. Just ugly all the way around. At least we came out with the win.

Back