• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Give me one reason

HelenaHandBasket said:
argh! said:
injuries don't count when evaluating a team's performance, especially not injuries to the top qb. i learned that several years ago. it is all the fault of the coach.

Sure injuries are a consideration, but you are correct, it comes down to coaching.
LOL it comes down to players

WaGriz4life said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Sure injuries are a consideration, but you are correct, it comes down to coaching.

Fans tend to give coaches way too much credit for the good, and way too much blame for the bad. Coaches are important, but not more important than talented players.

I think it was 2003 when Ochs and Disney were both out against Idaho. Bobby and Co. installed the veer option in a week and beat Idaho. Today, it seems like we go with the same scheme regardless of available personnel. I honestly do not believe the play calling would’ve been any different with Cam and Knight healthy. Also, I think we’d try to run the same stuff against Georgia as we would against Hellgate HS. It’s just confusing.

ilovethecats said:
WaGriz4life said:

Fans tend to give coaches way too much credit for the good, and way too much blame for the bad. Coaches are important, but not more important than talented players.

I agree for the most part. But the game plan has to be adapted based on who is playing for you, and who you are playing that week. That part is coaching. I just haven’t seen it this season, but I’m not a coach.

WaGriz4life said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Coach has to put the players in the best position to win.

They did and our players got their asses kicked on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

So, for example, you think the offensive play calling was good for the entire game? I am not saying that execution was good, but maybe the lack of execution isn't all on the players, but on what you are asking them to do.

HelenaHandBasket said:
WaGriz4life said:
They did and our players got their asses kicked on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

So, for example, you think the offensive play calling was good for the entire game? I am not saying that execution was good, but maybe the lack of execution isn't all on the players, but on what you are asking them to do.
Our play calling was fine. Our gun shy freshman QB who had no running game or pass protection refused to take shots downfield. If you think our coaches wanted him to hold onto the ball and take zero chances downfield, you are mistaken and have no clue how hard it is to play Quarterback and the live reps it takes to be great at the D1 level.

WaGriz4life said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Our play calling was fine. Our guy shy freshman QB who had no running game or pass protection refused to take shots downfield. If you think our coaches wanted him to hold onto the ball and take zero chances downfield, you are mistaken and have no clue how hard it is to play Quarterback and the live reps it takes to be great at the D1 level.

You do realize that a coach playing a guy that isn't getting it done pretty much makes my point that still comes down to coaching.

Remember Don Read's middle screen? I've always wished Bobby would read is book. I've never like Bobby's offense. Its we are big and bad and going to stuff it down your throat and there isn't anything you can do about it.
Andy Thompson would be a great head coach.

The cats are going to smash us and there is nothing anyone can do about it and I don't like it!

HelenaHandBasket said:
WaGriz4life said:
Our play calling was fine. Our guy shy freshman QB who had no running game or pass protection refused to take shots downfield. If you think our coaches wanted him to hold onto the ball and take zero chances downfield, you are mistaken and have no clue how hard it is to play Quarterback and the live reps it takes to be great at the D1 level.

You do realize that a coach playing a guy that isn't getting it done pretty much makes my point that still comes down to coaching.

Do you want to play our JUCO guy or our 5’11” 18 year old true freshman? Who do you think gives us the best chance to win? Who is more important to give live reps to for the future of our program? Do you not watch the line of scrimmage at all?

ilovethecats said:
WaGriz4life said:

Yes Sir! I couldn’t agree more!! If you don’t have an athlete with talent, it ain’t gonna work!

WaGriz4life said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Do you want to play our JUCO guy or our 5’11” 18 year old true freshman? Who do you think gives us the best chance to win? Who is more important to give live reps to for the future of our program? Do you not watch the line of scrimmage at all?

Well this leads to another thing associated with coaching, recruiting. Have they not recruited well? You want to put the blame solely on the players for not executing, but every decision still falls on the Head coach. If a player fails, it still falls on a decision made by the coach, even if that decision is playing that player. Sometimes you just have to roll with it because you have no other options.

Spanky2 said:
ilovethecats said:
Yes Sir! I couldn’t agree more!! If you don’t have an athlete with talent, it ain’t gonna work!

Guess the coach should have done a better job recruiting.

The biggest offensive problem at the moment is defenses have no reason to respect much of anything we’re trying to do. We can’t effectively run on first and second down which puts us in long situations constantly, and we can’t often complete a pass over 8-10 yards which allows them to cheat even more on the line of scrimmage than normal. It reminds me of a team defending their goal from the 5, if you can’t run on them it makes their job much easier to stop the drive because they don’t have a lot of field to defend. Probably not the greatest analogy but you get my drift.

HelenaHandBasket said:
WaGriz4life said:

Well this leads to another thing associated with coaching, recruiting. Have they not recruited well? You want to put the blame solely on the players for not executing, but every decision still falls on the Head coach. If a player fails, it still falls on a decision made by the coach, even if that decision is playing that player. Sometimes you just have to roll with it because you have no other options.

That is the most ignorant take I’ve ever seen. You have no clue what it takes to be a good coach at any level. Guaranteed all of our players say this is on them. We’ve recruited very well. Because of injuries we have something like 20 freshman on the 2 deep. Yeah, in FCS that shouldn’t be a problem right? It’s all coaching. We should have 20 freshman who are ready to play right away in Missoula, MT at the FCS level. You’re an idiot

jodcon said:
The biggest offensive problem at the moment is defenses have no reason to respect much of anything we’re trying to do. We can’t effectively run on first and second down which puts us in long situations constantly, and we can’t often complete a pass over 8-10 yards which allows them to cheat even more on the line of scrimmage than normal. It reminds me of a team defending their goal from the 5, if you can’t run on them it makes their job much easier to stop the drive because they don’t have a lot of field to defend. Probably not the greatest analogy but you get my drift.
:clap: Thank you. Someone who gets it

WaGriz4life said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

That is the most ignorant take I’ve ever seen. You have no clue what it takes to be a good coach at any level. Guaranteed all of our players say this is on them. We’ve recruited very well. Because of injuries we have something like 20 freshman on the 2 deep. Yeah, in FCS that shouldn’t be a problem right? It’s all coaching. We should have 20 freshman who are ready to play right away in Missoula, MT at the FCS level. You’re an idiot

So you have stated that the execution of the offense is at question, yet you are also trying to tell me that their is zero that the coach can do, to attempt to remedy it? Or should he just keep pointing fingers at all those well recruited players like you?

WaGriz4life said:
jodcon said:

And this still falls on coaching. If they can't figure out a way to remedy this, it is on them.

HelenaHandBasket said:
WaGriz4life said:

And this still falls on coaching. If they can't figure out a way to remedy this, it is on them.

If you can’t block people there is not a coaching remedy in the world to save you. I’m sure you have tons of close friends that are college coaches and that coach in the NFL. It’s all about coaching. Injuries and freshman players be dammed.

Back