• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Give me one reason

For those that don't think there are serious issues and once again make excuses......That oline that beat us had a redshirt freshman and a true freshman starting.

Ok, fellas, please clarify something. I have heard three versions why Brown doesn’t throw long: 1-he can’t 2-he won’t.3-the coaches instruct him not too.
Which version is correct?

kemajic said:
WaGriz4life said:
The coaches are not the ones who refuse to throw the ball downfield and challenge the defense. The Oline and injuries at RB are the reasons we can’t run the ball. We have good players and good coaches. So does Sac State. We lost by 7.
We were beaten far more soundly than the score indicated. SacSt 456 yards total offense, 30 first downs, 82 plays, 37 min TOP. UM 272 yards, 17 first downs, 65 plays, 23 min TOP. The SacSt OL is the best I’ve seen; they manhandled our D front.

When we have no running game how wise is it to frequently run the first two downs then pass on 3rd and long when they know you need to? Our offensive game plan and play calling is very suspect.
I agree with KEM. What is hard to accept is that every year for the past several years, against a quality opponent, it's pretty much the same song and dance. Our O-line and D-line get manhandled. Two runs, a pass, then punt. We can't establish a run game. Receivers can't get open or if they do, QB can't hit them because our O-line is getting manhandled and QB is running for his life. Can't stop a team with a good O-line and run game. Same thing, over and over. Frustrating.

Sac State is a good team and played well.

The Griz are struggling. Everyone (coaches, players, fans) needs to adjust and be realistic.

The suggestion that offensive coaches should be replaced now is absurd. Unless, of course, Bob Stitt is available - because he is an offensive genius.

goatcreekgriz said:

The Griz are struggling. Everyone (coaches, players, fans) needs to adjust and be realistic.

The suggestion that offensive coaches should be replaced now is absurd. Unless, of course, Bob Stitt is available - because he is an offensive genius.

OUCH! :shock:

WaGriz4life said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
There are things a coach can do to help receivers get open. I thought you know something about football.
You don’t know anything about coaching football. But prove me wrong, what specifically in this game against this scheme (you have no clue what the scheme is) would you have coached our receivers to “get open”

*we had open receivers and our QB didn’t get them the ball. (This is not coaching)

I never said it pertained to this game, it was a general comment in reference to this statement of yours:

It’s the coaches fault the receivers can’t get open 😂. I’m done you guys are too much. You guys should be coaching.

Didn't mean for it to be taken differently. As for the Griz offense, it is the current inconsistency and struggles of the QB position compounded by the spotty execution of the OL.

HelenaHandBasket said:
WaGriz4life said:

:clap: Thank you. Someone who gets it

And this still falls on coaching. If they can't figure out a way to remedy this, it is on them.

This. Other teams manage to recruit QB's who can play well as freshmen ....

'68griz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
And this still falls on coaching. If they can't figure out a way to remedy this, it is on them.

It’s pretty rare. When was the last time a QB started for the Griz as a freshman? Gresch? The guy who quit when he had some competition? Kyle Samson before that? One of the Morningwigs before that?

I recall someone on here proclaiming Rostad would start four years at QB and would take UM to the promised land. Then he could not get on the field at QB, so he was moved to LB.

You guys expect too much. FCS teams fight for scraps not signed by FBS teams and have fewer scholarships to build depth. It’s a lot harder if an FCS team faces a lot of injuries. I think coaching could be better (and some of the coaches would probably agree), but the Griz are where they are for a lot of reasons. The failure to recruit a QB who can start and play well as a freshman is not one of the reasons.

goatcreekgriz said:
'68griz said:

It’s pretty rare. When was the last time a QB started for the Griz as a freshman? Gresch? The guy who quit when he had some competition? Kyle Samson before that? One of the Morningwigs before that?

I recall someone on here proclaiming Rostad would start four years at QB and would take UM to the promised land. Then he could not get on the field at QB, so he was moved to LB.

You guys expect too much. FCS teams fight for scraps not signed by FBS teams and have fewer scholarships to build depth. It’s a lot harder if an FCS team faces a lot of injuries. I think coaching could be better (and some of the coaches would probably agree), but the Griz are where they are for a lot of reasons. The failure to recruit a QB who can start and play well as a freshman is not one of the reasons.

Starting as a freshman isn't the issue! The issue is, the coaches keep treating a freshman like a freshman and won't trust the individual to run the entire offense! Brown has been here for coming on two years now because of covid. Let the young man expand and let him grow. Get that Big Ass O-Line to do what they are supposed to do and block! Sorry, I blame what I see on the field on poor coaches, Rosey, Baer and Germer. No excuses. Same issue every year with different players, has to be the coaches. Bobby needs to fire them!

reinell30 said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Starting as a freshman isn't the issue! The issue is, the coaches keep treating a freshman like a freshman and won't trust the individual to run the entire offense! Brown has been here for coming on two years now because of covid. Let the young man expand and let him grow. Get that Big Ass O-Line to do what they are supposed to do and block! Sorry, I blame what I see on the field on poor coaches, Rosey, Baer and Germer. No excuses. Same issue every year with different players, has to be the coaches. Bobby needs to fire them!

I was responding to ‘68, not your hypothetical impending diatribe.

How do you know that it’s the coaches not doing their job, instead of (some back-up, some not) players unable or unwilling to do as they are coached? Firing assistant coaches now would be madness.

There is no one reason why the Griz are where they are, though coaching is a reason. I don’t think that firing coaches will make the season suddenly get better.

goatcreekgriz said:
'68griz said:

Bergquist before Jensen, right? I went to CB's wiki and it incorrectly states he started against Sac St. in 2004. He was 2005-2008 I thought.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIXh0JNvuHs[/media]

Well, Saturday we got beat by a team that both out coached and out player'd us. Shit isn't mutually exclusive. But, I still come back around.

goatcreekgriz said:
'68griz said:

But it is the fault of the coaching staff that they don't have a competent backup QB regardless of what year they are. Yes, almost all teams are going to suffer if they lose their QB1, but you must have someone at least serviceable as a backup.

I’d be surprised to see coaches get fired in the off-season. BH has long-standing personal relationships with some of these coaches and he tends to stick with them.

Germer- worked with BH for 10 years.

Coaching Experience
1998 - 2002 Montana (OL)
2003 - 2008 Wyoming (OL)
2009 Montana (OL)
2010 - 2014 UNLV (OL)
2015 - Present Montana (OL)

Timm Rosenbach—worked with BH for 6 years.

Coaching Experience
1999 St. Ambrose (QB)
2000 Eastern Washington (QB)
2001-02 Eastern Washington (OC/QB)
2003-07 Washington State (QB)
2008-09 New Mexico State (OC)
2012 Montana (OC)
2013 Weber State (OC)
2013-14 UNLV (OC)
2015-17 Adams State (Head Coach)
2018-Present Montana (OC)

Looks like BH has had 3 Offensive Coordinators in 16 years as head coach.

Rob Phenicie 2003-2011
Brent Myers 2012
Timm Rosenbach 2013-2014, 2018-2021

When BH got rid of Phen-Phen as OC, he demoted him to position coach.

Obviously a lot of issues can be traced to injuries...hell, I didn't think Childs and Harris would be as good as they are, but they can only do so much. Same will go with Brown...but here's the thing: if Brown is struggling, then it's the COACH'S job to work with that. Guy is scared to throw downfield (which I think is due to pressure), then get creative with play-calling to help. Run some bootleg options, KB throws pretty damn good on the run. And for God's sake, run a f***ing screen play! They stack the box and blitz on 2nd and long or 3rd and long...that is prime position to run a screen! Doesn't work the first time? Tweak the play, or run something different....but I'm agreeing with a lot about the coaches being an issue, and I believe it's play-calling issues. Example on D: Barriere struggled with pressure, then 2nd half we kinda backed off of the blitzes, and he threw at will. No adjustment to that, which shocked me (I know they'll say they didn't want to give up the homerun....but they did anyways, so kind of irrelevant). I rarely saw much pressure from more than 4 guys against suck state, and for that matter Dixie...why have we gone away from that? Yes, teams are seeing it and game-planning against it, but don't abandon the blitz all together! Mix it up!

goatcreekgriz said:

No, we were told this was a killer team and I drank the kool-aid. Three years now and this is what we have ?
I don't think you can be realistic and expect any better next year.
Toure saw the handwriting on the wall.

No we don't want stitt but there are some high school coaches that could do just as good or better.

I have been hoping Andy Thompson could be lured back to Missoula. He obviously won’t coach up the Griz QBs, but it would be nice to see him on the UM side of the field.

Ive watch bobby for a lot of years, this is my criticism of his coaching philosophy. It's all based on a dominant offensive line. There is no way a university the size of Montana is getting enough offensive line athletes of the caliber needed to run his offense. It never has and it never will. NDSU does it but Montana can't seem to recruit that level of offensive linemen. The problem I have is he has no plan B. No screen passes, no trickery to catch a team off guard. With a rare exception its plow into the line on first and second down, dump off pass on third and punt. The cats have a much better offensive line but not good enough for a championship. They will have a good run but as soon as they meet a team their line can't dominate they are done as their coach is exactly the same as bobby. The answer is a complete short passing game. Deception, play smart, make the opposition have to guess what is coming up. It seems to me the defense is in the griz huddle and know exactly what to expect. Look at the play calling of Sac state, Cal Poly, Dixie State and you see smart good coaching. Bobby won't change and I want him replaced with a younger smart coach who understands Montana is not Alabama and adjusts his style of play to get the most out of his talent.

gotgame75 said:
goatcreekgriz said:

But it is the fault of the coaching staff that they don't have a competent backup QB regardless of what year they are. Yes, almost all teams are going to suffer if they lose their QB1, but you must have someone at least serviceable as a backup.
And, IMO, the Griz do not. If Kris Brown is the future of the Griz, then I think the future is pretty bleak.

fanofzoo said:
goatcreekgriz said:

No, we were told this was a killer team and I drank the kool-aid. Three years now and this is what we have ?
I don't think you can be realistic and expect any better next year.
Toure saw the handwriting on the wall.

No we don't want stitt but there are some high school coaches that could do just as good or better.

There is so much getting absurd on eGriz these days.

Back