• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz vs Stanford Wednesday 11/6

The good news is: Griz have a great coach, and lots of talent. DeCuire will be able to remedy, or at least improve upon, a lot of the problems we saw tonight....

You know how Kentucky teams often start the year starting 5 freshman and look kinda shaky, and then make a run for the national title? Not that the Griz will make a run for the national title, but I can see them in the hunt for the Big Sky title again... I'm not ready to throw in the towel...

cmtgrizzly said:
I think we have a really good core of freshman. TDC has to find a big man to go with them. Mack may end up being good but I dont think he is on par with the level of the current freshmen yet. I know it is hard to find a guy at the mid-major level but I think TDC had shown he can recruit 6’3”-6’8” guys at a high level so hopefully he can do the same with a 6’10” guy.

We had two 7 footers on the roster. What happened to them?

Why only 9 suited up for the game tonight? Did a short bench have anything to do with the end result?

It is interesting how Falls can play aggressively, as he did in the Michigan game last year, and be one of the best players on the floor for the Griz, and other times like tonight he'll play aggressively and be a big liability. He'll play too out of control. Maybe it was the long layoff due to his injury.

MikeyGriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
I think we have a really good core of freshman. TDC has to find a big man to go with them. Mack may end up being good but I dont think he is on par with the level of the current freshmen yet. I know it is hard to find a guy at the mid-major level but I think TDC had shown he can recruit 6’3”-6’8” guys at a high level so hopefully he can do the same with a 6’10” guy.

We had two 7 footers on the roster. What happened to them?

I assume DeCuire bid them farewell as it was part of the plan to be able to give scholarships to the freshmen we have now...

Final thoughts. Very happy with what I saw. This never looked like we were way outclassed with size and speed. Some games against big school it takes max effort just to contain them from blowing you out of the gym with more athleticism. When we played smart basketball we belonged with this team. We just had 10 straight minutes of really sloppy freshman mistakes, like a football team that fumbles on three straight possessions or something. From game ONE this look like a team that is going to be better across the floor than most of the bigsky competition. I am concerned with the lack of thick bodies that can bulldoze to the rim combined with lack a height on inside...so when we need to work hard to get a good look who can bully their way into getting a good look instead of relying on a defensive break down from the other team. It will be interesting to see if they blow out MSU Northern, if you can blow out bad teams thats one big sign of maturity to me.

I should concede to the cliche “if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all”. But I can’t help myself I truly thought the Griz would walk away with another PAC 12 victory and it wouldn’t be close. So much for believing all the hype. But I do think the foundation is there with this freshman class. Stanford is not a good team, period, end of sentence. That doesn’t say much for us. I not going to critique or criticize individual players because not one of them performed up to expectations. The only good thing to come from this game is Travis failed in his audition for the Stanford job. And I love Travis and Chris and Jay but this was not a good outing for the Griz.
They will get better no doubt about that but this OC season is going to be really rough. I just hope these young players don’t get down on themselves.
Lots of work to do gentlemen so take your lesson and learn from it and put it behind you.
GO GRIZ

Do a lot of you realize that a large share of this team were playing high school basketball 7
-8 months ago? They had a stretch of 10 minutes where they lost focus. I like the potential of this team a lot. Samuelson and the big Turk will help inside a lot. The freshman are going to be big time studs. Timmy and Manuel will bounce back. Anderson will play better. There are so many new parts to this team that the cohesion will take awhile. The Griz still have all this new talent and one of the best players in the league and the best coach in the league. Just wait.. it is going to be fun

cmtgrizzly said:

Pssssst...…...Yagi's coming. He's needed.

cmtgrizzly said:

The problem with this theory is any highly rated Big (6'9"+) with plus ball skills thinks they will be playing in the league and is going to a name program, not Missoula, MT. We can get an undersized guy like D C-H (if he was 6'9 he'd be on a PAC roster) or projects like the two that moved on. If and when we make tourney noise that may change, Gonzaga didn't get big name big men in the first decade of their run for the most part. TDC offered J'Raan Brooks from Seattle and he went to USC. Now that USC brought in a highly rated nationally big, he transferred to Washington. It's not for a lack of trying on the part of the coach. It is what it is given our place in the hoops pecking order.

UncleRico said:
Do a lot of you realize that a large share of this team were playing high school basketball 7
-8 months ago? They had a stretch of 10 minutes where they lost focus. I like the potential of this team a lot. Samuelson and the big Turk will help inside a lot. The freshman are going to be big time studs. Timmy and Manuel will bounce back. Anderson will play better. There are so many new parts to this team that the cohesion will take awhile. The Griz still have all this new talent and one of the best players in the league and the best coach in the league. Just wait.. it is going to be fun

BINGO. Given the whining you'd think it was the football side. Yeah they had a collective brain fart for about 6 or 7 minutes but other than that played them evenly. D C-H just turned 18 for Pete's sake. They've only had about 20 practices together. They ran out of gas a bit there, only 2 front court guys played. Owens looked a little overwhelmed yet Egun, Vasquez and DC-H looked like they'd been there before.

I figured they would take some lumps early given the circumstances, but the talent is obvious to anyone that follows hoops. Did no one notice the steal Carter-Hollinger made on the lob attempt after we turned it over at the top of the key? Your average college freshman can't make that play, he's going to be so fun to watch the next 4 years. They will be a tough out for any Big Sky team by March, no doubt about it.

Hoops watcher said:
UncleRico said:

BINGO. Given the whining you'd think it was the football side. Yeah they had a collective brain fart for about 6 or 7 minutes but other than that played them evenly. D C-H just turned 18 for Pete's sake. They've only had about 20 practices together. They ran out of gas a bit there, only 2 front court guys played. Owens looked a little overwhelmed yet Egun, Vasquez and DC-H looked like they'd been there before.

I figured they would take some lumps early given the circumstances, but the talent is obvious to anyone that follows hoops. Did no one notice the steal Carter-Hollinger made on the lob attempt after we turned it over at the top of the key? Your average college freshman can't make that play, he's going to be so fun to watch the next 4 years. They will be a tough out for any Big Sky team by March, no doubt about it.

:clap: :clap: Agree 100% Rico, Hoops watcher.

I have to say I’m concerned about Timmy Falls. I thought that it was a bad sign that he didn’t get the start and his numbers were pretty awful; I didn’t get to see the game but his turnover in the P12 Network highlight package was awful.

Hoops watcher said:
UncleRico said:

I think you are not reading the posts very well. Pretty sure everyone was quite complimentary and happy with the freshmen. Expected more of the older guys.

I haven't watched the game yet, thanks to work. I have it recorded and will break it down, probably this weekend. For those of you who are upset, mad, disappointed, etc, give it time. Look on the bright side, this inexperienced, shorthanded, and undersized GRIZ team played with Stanford for 30 of 40 minutes, even slightly ahead of Stanford for 25 minutes. Unfortunately, this GRIZ team struggled for 10 minutes. Credit to Stanford for capitalizing during that stretch. Folks, that is exactly why coaches of all sports, at all levels, caution their fans regarding young and inexperienced teams. This is the 1st of what will likely be many rollercoaster rides for 2 to 3 months. Travis is too good of a coach, and Pridgett is too good of a player for this team to struggle all season. The young guys finally got a taste of true Div 1 basketball. It will only get better from there for them. As for the returning players, keep in mind, they too are all in transition. They can only do so much. Right now, I am sure, they are feeling the pressure of new roles (especially in leadership). Pridgett really is the only player ready for that leadership. Manuel and Falls are new to it. Anderson is way too raw and young to lead.

Yes, the returnees struggled as a whole. However, Pridgett's overall play has to be encouraging. He flirted with a triple double against a Power 5 team!!!! Granted, I am sure he hates the turnovers. It is a just a matter of DeCuire pointing out to him where he should have looked to score, instead of looking to distribute. He has the skill set to be a distributor, but is inexperienced in being the facilitator of the offense. He's going to make some questionable, even terrible decisions, as he grows more comfortable in this role. I highly doubt, he will have that many turnovers in any game this season. I'm not worried about Sayeed.

Manuel is too good of a shooter and scorer to struggle for very long. I am sure, he will have a few more games where he struggles, but his better games will be more frequent than his struggles. He also is pretty level headed. That will benefit him and his team, as the season progresses. Again, not someone that I am worried about.

Anderson- give me a break. He is a true sophomore with a big transition still ahead. It is common for under classmen big men to struggle a year or 2, before finding their consistency.

Falls is an intense competitor. He is returning from injury. That injury kept him from working on his offensive game for quite some time. I think, he has been back practicing for less than 2 weeks. Most players cannot just turn on a switch, just like that. Like the other returnees, he is transitioning to new personnel. His injury put him even further behind in that transition. Timmy will likely be the 1st to admit, he played horrible. Unfortunately, due to other factors, outside of his control, he may have been forced back to action a little too soon. I know, he will bounce back, just not sure when. I won't be surprised to see him struggle for a few weeks.

Finally, our 4 Freshmen (including Egun) will only get better as they gain experience. Against Stanford, Carter Hollinger shined brightest. That shine will rotate from Freshmen to Freshmen, as will the struggles. When all 4 are playing consistent, this team will do damage, and become very good. Realistically, it's going to take this team 2 to 3 months to find the kind of consistency we GRIZ fans have become accustomed to. Overall, no need to panic, or be too negative. With time, this team will do just fine.

I think this team may approach league play with an "underwhelming" resume, but the battles against Stanford, UNM, Arkansas and the like will serve them well and they'll be a force come conference season. They need some time to gel...especially if we're gonna start all those HS'ers! lol

Stanford announcers were VERY complementary of Pridgett…(and the Griz in general in the first half)...

AZGrizFan said:
Stanford announcers were VERY complementary of Pridgett…(and the Griz in general in the first half)...

One of the commentators last night was Mike Montgomery, the head coach at Montana from 1978 until 1986 and the head coach at Cal where Travis DeCuire was his top assistant from 2008 until 2014.

Latest posts

Back