• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How Does NDSU Stay Dominate for 10 years?

Football has always been big at NDSU. It's no recent phenomenon. About 60 yrs. ago, when I was teaching at a Hi-line HS, Marv Sutherland was a big name, going from Northern in Havre to NDSU to the Philidelphia Eagles as a scout, where I think he retired. He may have coached in the CFL, also. Point is, football has always been big at NDSU.

And, there is no shame in that. The Bison have had a long history of support not only from the school, but from the community and state, as well. I say "no shame," because I believe there has been little, if any, talk at NDSU of "we are an academic, not a football school," or "drop the football program," as at Missoula. I don't think NDSU necessarily emphasizes football over academics, either, no more, say, than Notre Dame.

I guess my point is: Football has always been an integral part of NDSU's unstated mission; at Montana, it has not.

Grizzoola said:
Football has always been big at NDSU. It's no recent phenomenon. About 60 yrs. ago, when I was teaching at a Hi-line HS, Marv Sutherland was a big name, going from Northern in Havre to NDSU to the Philidelphia Eagles as a scout, where I think he retired. He may have coached in the CFL, also. Point is, football has always been big at NDSU.

And, there is no shame in that. The Bison have had a long history of support not only from the school, but from the community and state, as well. I say "no shame," because I believe there has been little, if any, talk at NDSU of "we are an academic, not a football school," or "drop the football program," as at Missoula. I don't think NDSU necessarily emphasizes football over academics, either, no more, say, than Notre Dame.

I guess my point is: Football has always been an integral part of NDSU's unstated mission; at Montana, it has not.
]
A football school that somehow received Carnegie R1 status in 2021, a goal which UM has somehow been unable to achieve.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
Bear Spray said:
Money. $$$$$$$$. Oil money. Build an indoor stadium, pay kids to attend your university, build a second indoor practice facility, cultivate boosters with $$$$$$, grow a coaching tree, Next coach up, build a program. Success brings more success. A stud kit would be a fool to turn down an NDSU offer. Their fan base buys Frisco tickets in September! This is the model for the rest of us. We're getting better but holy shit, we have a long way to go. Both MT schools need $$$$ & it's hard to come by short of a benefactor. NDSU has us by the short hairs.

The bison rent the Fargo Dome and don't have a stadium of their own which probably saves a ton.

By itself, that doesn’t make sense.

Normally, renting a stadium means you don’t get ancillary revenues. For most stadium rentals, the city keeps concession money, parking money, and maybe even a cut of merchandise sales. By no means does that maximize revenue.

Now… if Fargo is getting nominal ( $1 a year) rent and covering maintenance costs and giving the school most of the other revenues, then that’s a heck of a subsidy and an advantage. That’s worth a ton of jealousy. But I’m skeptical… or at least I think you’d find that that deal isn’t replicated elsewhere.

Consider that Portland State was renting Providence Park for more than $17,000 a game and had to cover some other costs, while paying only $12,500 per game in Hillsboro. For the crowds PSU gets, Hillsboro ends up being more economical… but Portland State plays two money games a year just to cover costs.

Lefse posts are underrated.

griz4life said:
Good spelling and lefse is how they stay dominant.

Try the Lutefisk If you want to stay dominate, and not get band.
norwegian-lutefisk-plate.jpg.webp

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/norwegian-lutefisk-plate.jpg.webp

Pounder said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
The bison rent the Fargo Dome and don't have a stadium of their own which probably saves a ton.

By itself, that doesn’t make sense.

Normally, renting a stadium means you don’t get ancillary revenues. For most stadium rentals, the city keeps concession money, parking money, and maybe even a cut of merchandise sales. By no means does that maximize revenue.

Now… if Fargo is getting nominal ( $1 a year) rent and covering maintenance costs and giving the school most of the other revenues, then that’s a heck of a subsidy and an advantage. That’s worth a ton of jealousy. But I’m skeptical… or at least I think you’d find that that deal isn’t replicated elsewhere.

Consider that Portland State was renting Providence Park for more than $17,000 a game and had to cover some other costs, while paying only $12,500 per game in Hillsboro. For the crowds PSU gets, Hillsboro ends up being more economical… but Portland State plays two money games a year just to cover costs.

https://www.inforum.com/newsmd/ndsu-dome-closer-to-lease-agreement

Blgs Griz Fan said:

That article is dated 2002.

More updated info would be nice. Mind you, depending on how you word the search, you can find amazingly inexpensive apartments in Fargo right now.

Pounder said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

That article is dated 2002.

More updated info would be nice. Mind you, depending on how you word the search, you can find amazingly inexpensive apartments in Fargo right now.

Try to find something current but the article does illustrate a favorable lease potential.

"""The boosters ponyed up the money to pay the guys the coast of attendance cash. I think $ 3,400.oo discretionary cash per player means a lot to a college student and probably to their families.

I have read the boosters will find and pay for rentals for families during the season so mom and dad don't have to travel. If that isn't enough they will find local employment for the family members."""

FCOA was funded by boosters for 3 years giving the University time to figure out how to fund it. THat ended some time ago.
Oh FYI Montana can offer those same benefits. So you need to question why you dont. Not the fact that we do.

Where did you read the bullshit about paying family members housing?????? Please provide said link as its a lie.

Bison73 said:
"""The boosters ponyed up the money to pay the guys the coast of attendance cash. I think $ 3,400.oo discretionary cash per player means a lot to a college student and probably to their families.

I have read the boosters will find and pay for rentals for families during the season so mom and dad don't have to travel. If that isn't enough they will find local employment for the family members."""

FCOA was funded by boosters for 3 years giving the University time to figure out how to fund it. THat ended some time ago.
Oh FYI Montana can offer those same benefits. So you need to question why you dont. Not the fact that we do.

Where did you read the bullshit about paying family members housing?????? Please provide said link as its a lie.

Is there any truth to the multiple rumors about the Bizons doping up their athletes? I choose to believe the rumors because they make sense, and they've had a run-in or two in recent years.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
I have read the boosters will find and pay for rentals for families during the season so mom and dad don't have to travel. If that isn't enough they will find local employment for the family members.

I don't know all the in's and out's, but I am pretty sure this isn't allowed.

CDAGRIZ said:
Bison73 said:

Is there any truth to the multiple rumors about the Bizons doping up their athletes? I choose to believe the rumors because they make sense, and they've had a run-in or two in recent years.

So you are asking if NDSU payed for illegal drugs for it players???
No that is not true.

There was also a rumor that NDSU paid for supplements.
That is also not true. All supplement were paid by the players themselves.

We did have one player who got popped on a piss test before one of our championship games. The offending substance?
Caffeine.
Seem pretty innocuous but read the regs and you will learn you can go over the limit by drinking too many MT Dews with your
legal supplements.

Bison73 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

No that is not true.

So UNDSU was getting the PEDs for free? Damn!

CDAGRIZ said:
Bison73 said:

No there is not. Can you name a player who has been suspended, by the NCAA, at NDSU for PED’s
other than Brock Robbins?

You chose to believe it, simply because you cannot accept the fact that NDSU is simply a superior football program to Montana.

BTW, the “run-in”, not “run-in’s”, was related to caffeine…..not anabolic steroids, HGH, etc.

Grizzoola said:

Marv was also with the Giants. Jets and Cardinals. He's the reason Guy Bingham and Rocky Klever ended up with the Jets. Warned everybody who would listen Ryan Leaf had a 2 cent head. Loved all his stories and inside info. Great friend and only guy who could, and did, drop more names than PR. Taught me how the game was played.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

No there is not. Can you name a player who has been suspended, by the NCAA, at NDSU for PED’s

You chose to believe it, simply because you cannot accept the fact that NDSU is simply a superior football program to Montana.

BTW, the “run-in”, not “run-in’s”, was related to caffeine…..not anabolic steroids, HGH, etc.

That’s not what I heard. Word is the NCAA is about to pop the top on the institutional doping that has been going on there for decades. It’s cool if you like cheating and being a fan of a dirty program. It’s probably quite literally in your blood, haha.

Ursa Major said:
Bison73 said:
No that is not true.

So UNDSU was getting the PEDs for free? Damn!

I think it was some dude who worked for the school that gave the players the dope. I think he owned a company that made the banned drugs or something, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the players got the banned drugs for free.

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

That’s not what I heard. Word is the NCAA is about to pop the top on the institutional doping that has been going on there for decades. It’s cool if you like cheating and being a fan of a dirty program. It’s probably quite literally in your blood, haha.

Lol….the funniest thing about this is that I’ve known Brigit Sprenger, Director of Compliance
in the athletic department, since 2006….and I literally had supper with her and her husband Andy last week.

If there was a “pop” about to happen, she definitely did not appear to have any indication of such.

In fact, I asked her specifically how work was and her response was how lucky she felt to work in her role given the strength and organization within the athletic department.

You are a fucking moron…

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Lol….the funniest thing about this is that I’ve known Brigit Sprenger, Director of Compliance
in the athletic department, since 2006….and I literally had supper with her and her husband Andy last week.

If there was a “pop” about to happen, she definitely did not appear to have any indication of such.

In fact, I asked her specifically how work was and her response was how lucky she felt to work in her role given the strength and organization within the athletic department.

You are a f###[#] moron…

Nah, he's just a troll who keeps lurking around on bobcatnation 2.0... he can't stay away...

He claims to be a fan of litigation u., But we all know what he is here for.

Cowboys84 said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

You are a f###[#] moron…

Nah, he's just a troll who keeps lurking around on bobcatnation 2.0... he can't stay away...

He claims to be a fan of litigation u., But we all know what he is here for.

Confession through projection.

Back