• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

INDOOR PRACTICE FACILITY

I don't understand the shade being thrown at the proposed facility. A bubble is better than what they've got now, which is nothing.

Da Boyz Mom said:
I don't understand the shade being thrown at the proposed facility. A bubble is better than what they've got now, which is nothing.

Probably related to the Seinfeld "Bubble Boy" episode...

Da Boyz Mom said:

Maybe people are wondering why it's taken this long for the people connected with the university to realize that they needed a indoor practice facility at all, why wasn't this a priority planning years ago?....Then it's a bubble... other schools like South Dakota state, u of North Dakota have had indoor facilities for years... And ndsu is set to have one in 2-3 years.

Cowboys84 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Maybe people are wondering why it's taken this long for the people connected with the university to realize that they needed a indoor practice facility at all, why wasn't this a priority planning years ago?....Then it's a bubble... other schools like South Dakota state, u of North Dakota have had indoor facilities for years... And ndsu is set to have one in 2-3 years.

This. Both SDSU and NDSU both moved up to D1 during the glory days of UM football. The fact that they are both now caught up in regard to facilities speaks for itself. UM may have gotten a little complacent

Cowboys84 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Serious question to a Bizon fan: Was there any pushback from people noting that you already play indoors, so just use that? I mean, $37 million has to buy out a shit ton of tractor pulls and RV expos, right?

Cowboys84 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Yes. Because the weather in Fargo is EXACTLY like the weather in Missoula in December. :lol: :lol:

That is the biggest reach I’ve seen in some time on this board.

The weather in the Eastern Dakotas is the same, more or less, as it is in Missoula? :lol: :lol: :lol: C'mon, Cowboy84, use some logic. Did you, any of you, know that a man went missing in Grand Forks many years ago, but was found in the spring, well preserved, when the snow drifts finally melted? Happens all the time in Missoula, or even in the land of collapsing roofs, right? :roll: The difference in winters between Missoula and Eastern MONTANA
is profound.

AZGrizFan said:
Cowboys84 said:

Yes. Because the weather in Fargo is EXACTLY like the weather in Missoula in December. :lol: :lol:

So why is University of Montana building a bubble now if weather isn't a factor for practicing outside in October, November and December when the weather really starts getting dicey?

Not the only reason, but ONE of the reasons Montana didn't do a spring season was because of lack of proper facilities and the weather.. ... Keep trying.

Cowboys84 said:
AZGrizFan said:

So why is University of Montana building a bubble now if weather isn't a factor for practicing outside in October, November and December when the weather really starts getting dicey?

Not the only reason, but ONE of the reasons Montana didn't do a spring season was because of lack of proper facilities and the weather.. ... Keep trying.

That had about zero to do with it.

Ursa Major said:
Quick questions for anyone that knows:

How does one heat a bubble?

How does one light a bubble?

Lighting is usually LED; often up lighting. Heating and cooling is done with a slightly higher horsepower fan than that used to inflate it, which kicks on at intervals when heat is needed.

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
Quick questions for anyone that knows:

How does one heat a bubble?

How does one light a bubble?

Lighting is usually LED; often up lighting. Heating and cooling is done with a slightly higher horsepower fan than that used to inflate it, which kicks on at intervals when heat is needed.

This is what comes to mind when I think of HVAC and a bubble.

FC0294-A0-417-D-4-F54-8018-511-EE32-DA9-E1.webp

AZGrizFan said:
Cowboys84 said:

Alright, if the unpredictable weather conditions in Missoula later in the year isn't a reason, why are they doing this?...

The weather in Western Montana has always been unpredictable later in the year. it isn't something new.

My question is, why wasn't this issue addressed years ago?

Da Boyz Mom said:

and a double wide is better than a single.
Since 1974 we haven't had a indoor field and we have done all right.

Cowboys84 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Alright, if the unpredictable weather conditions in Missoula later in the year isn't a reason, why are they doing this?...

The weather in Western Montana has always been unpredictable later in the year. it isn't something new.

Why are they doing this? Because Bobby has said for years dating back to his first stint here that it would be a game changing facility in terms of his ability to prepare his teams during the colder months in the playoffs. I would think there is a good chance they use it some during the hottest times of the year for practice as well. It’s about efficiency and efficacy; players will ostensibly practice harder for longer in a regulated climate and get more out of a single practice than they would practicing in either the heat or cold or otherwise inclement weather. Bobby wants to “return to dominance”, this will aid in that effort by allowing the team to practice more effectively in colder and hotter weather, and will also serve as a recruiting advantage in the short term until MSU inevitably gets one.

Why has it taken so long? Because it required funding, as did the academic center, the new champions center, and the men’s and women’s locker rooms. Those things that cost in the tens of millions of dollars and required both fundraising and substantial donations from the Washington family. Those were items farther up the list that required the athletic department’s attention. Many of the internals of the facilities that fans never saw for years were among the worst if not the worst in all of the conference. They are now likely the best in conference. This practice facility has been a long time coming, and will be a huge recruiting and practicing advantage in 2022 and beyond.

Cowboys84 said:
AZGrizFan said:

It can also be useful at the start of spring ball. LOL, you're kidding, right? It has been addressed for many years; the University is not exactly rolling in cash in case you haven't noticed and the AD has been working his butt off with donors. Millions of $ don't happen overnight.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Cowboys84 said:

Why are they doing this? Because Bobby has said for years dating back to his first stint here that it would be a game changing facility in terms of his ability to prepare his teams during the colder months in the playoffs. I would think there is a good chance they use it some during the hottest times of the year for practice as well. It’s about efficiency and efficacy; players will ostensibly practice harder for longer in a regulated climate and get more out of a single practice than they would practicing in either the heat or cold or otherwise inclement weather. Bobby wants to “return to dominance”, this will aid in that effort by allowing the team to practice more effectively in colder and hotter weather, and will also serve as a recruiting advantage in the short term until MSU inevitably gets one.

Why has it taken so long? Because it required finding, as did the academic center, the new champions center, and the men’s and women’s locker rooms. Those things that cost in the tens of millions of dollars and required both fundraising and substantial donations from the Washington family. Those were items farther up the list that required the athletic department’s attention. Many of the internals of the facilities that fans never saw for years were among the worst if not the worst in all of the conference, they are now likely the best in conference. This practice facility has been a long time coming, and will be a huge recruiting and practicing advantage in 2022 and beyond.

It did not help that under former U of M President Dennisson none of the football revenue ever went back into the program.

84GRIZ said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Why has it taken so long? Because it required finding, as did the academic center, the new champions center, and the men’s and women’s locker rooms. Those things that cost in the tens of millions of dollars and required both fundraising and substantial donations from the Washington family. Those were items farther up the list that required the athletic department’s attention. Many of the internals of the facilities that fans never saw for years were among the worst if not the worst in all of the conference, they are now likely the best in conference. This practice facility has been a long time coming, and will be a huge recruiting and practicing advantage in 2022 and beyond.

It did not help that under former U of M President Dennisson none of the football revenue ever went back into the program.
Yes, it was his cash cow for his personally favored projects, like new legacy buildings, now unneeded, sucking up maintenance and free space that was so much a part of campus.

Ursa Major said:
EverettGriz said:

That’s fascinating as I get precisely the same mental image when I think about cowboyIQ84’s intellect. Oh the humanity….

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

That’s fascinating as I get precisely the same mental image when I think about cowboyIQ84’s intellect. Oh the humanity….
As good as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Back