• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is SUU leaving the Big Sky for the WAC?

OrgonGriz said:
I guess it’s a good thing... It will give some more “western” FCS teams for OOC games. Well for a time before they transition to FBS.

I imagine having a “stepping” stone FBS conference in the west is a good thing. Not that the Griz will ever look to step out of there comfort zone.

However, if the WAC can get more than one team into March Mdness unlike the BSC with just BSC tourney winner getting in, maybe the WAC would be better?

But again UM doesn’t seem to have a great desire to elevate there athletics.

The Big Sky can get more than 1 team in the dance other than the auto bid now if the team is good enough. It's not been the case as yet. The WAC will in the same boat.

In what universe is SUU anywhere NEAR ready to make a jump to FBS in the next...oh, say THIRTY years?

AZGrizFan said:
In what universe is SUU anywhere NEAR ready to make a jump to FBS in the next...oh, say THIRTY years?
It can't be that hard, Liberty University did it. Of course they had God on their side.

SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
It can't be that hard, Liberty University did it. Of course they had God on their side.

And a BOATLOAD of that online christian school money. 94,000 online students and like 20,000 on campus.You can’t compare Liberty anywhere near the state institution of SUU.

SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Liberty has a license to print money. SUU doesn't sit at the right hand of God. :lol: :lol:

SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Liberty has a license to print money. SUU doesn't sit at the right hand of God. :lol: :lol:
Nice play! :lol: :lol:

they do probably sit at the right hand of Joseph Smith, however....or maybe that's BYU and Weber's at the left hand and SUU only gets like, the little toe or something.

I'm not real clear how that works.

AZGrizFan said:
SaskGriz said:
Nice play! :lol: :lol:

they do probably sit at the right hand of Joseph Smith, however....or maybe that's BYU and Weber's at the left hand and SUU only gets like, the little toe or something.

I'm not real clear how that works.
I'm with you. Not sure Weber would rate the left hand, however ... maybe an elbow.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But there's no doubt that Liberty has the financial resources, and the motivation, to have made this happen. And do not overlook basketball. Now that they're in the Atlantic Sun Conference for BBall, look for a continued move there too. They've represented the conference for the last two NCAA championships, dominating the A-Sun in 2019.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/coastal-carolina-preparing-for-frigid-football-game-at-montana/article_ff2b2072-1a5f-559f-affb-9fe4f7f9b5fe.html

The hot chicken soup game. Jo Moglia- Coach . Former Ameritrade exec. Griz show up in short sleeves, Chants show up in layers with long overcoats.

Kabooom said:
https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/coastal-carolina-preparing-for-frigid-football-game-at-montana/article_ff2b2072-1a5f-559f-affb-9fe4f7f9b5fe.html

The hot chicken soup game. Jo Moglia- Coach . Former Ameritrade exec. Griz show up in short sleeves, Chants show up in layers with long overcoats.
The peppermint schnapps (snakes in a winter boot) and the opening drive were the best part of that day. Never confuse tough and prepared.

It's official. Southern Utah to the WAC. Effective July 1, 2022. If they leave this July they get a $2 million penalty from the Big Sky for not having at least 1 year notice. That takes us to 10 full-time members (18 conference games for basketball) and 12 football members (dropping to missing 3 conference opponents a year rather then 4). Good riddance. I wish you'd go this year.

https://suutbirds.com/news/2021/1/14/administration-southern-utah-announces-western-athletic-conference-transition.aspx

With Southern Utah heading to the WAC in 2022 that will leave the Big Sky with 12 football playing members. I think there is a good chance the Big Sky goes to two six team divisions. Each team plays the 5 teams from their division and 3 from the other division.

My guess at Divisions:

North: EWU, PSU, UM, MSU, UI and ISU

South: UCD, CP, Sac, NAU, WSU and UNC

Another possibility:

Pacific: EWU, PSU, UCD, Sac, CP and NAU

Mountain: UM, MSU, UI, ISU, WSU and UNC

Any other guesses how they might split it? If they do split into two 6 team divisions for football how do Griz fans want to see it split?

SloStang said:
With Southern Utah heading to the WAC in 2022 that will leave the Big Sky with 12 football playing members. I think there is a good chance the Big Sky goes to two six team divisions. Each team plays the 5 teams from their division and 3 from the other division.

My guess at Divisions:

Another possibility:

Any other guesses how they might split it? If they do split into two 6 team divisions for football how do Griz fans want to see it split?

Out of your options, the first would be more likely but still don't think ISU, UM, MSU, WSU agree. No way that Idaho, EWU, Montana, and MSU agree to the second option. But in reality, it makes no sense to split into divisions.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SloStang said:

My guess at Divisions:

Another possibility:

Out of your options, the first would be more likely but still don't think ISU, UM, MSU, WSU agree. No way that Idaho, EWU, Montana, and MSU agree to the second option. But in reality, it makes no sense to split into divisions.
Actually, a split into divisions would make sense ... IF the NCAA allowed some way to then have a conference championship game. They don't. The "normal" regular-season schedule (and start of the playoffs) just doesn't allow any wiggle room. So, either way, we're stuck with unbalanced schedules and strange combinations of tie-breakers.

Back