• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is SUU leaving the Big Sky for the WAC?

The deal is the WAC according to NCAA bylaws and rules holds its "card" to become a football conference again. The end game here is the schools joining will either go independent in football and put all olympic sports will join the WAC. The schools will either all then join FCS football but then eventually transition to FBS football. Again, hilarious you guys think the Big Sky is better than the WAC. The WAC has had a better Ken Pom rating pretty much every year. You dog on Southern Utah but didn't they just sweep your mighty basketball program? When was the last time Montana won an FCS championship game? Asking for a friend.

CDAGRIZ said:
dancingNMSUaggie said:
Montana fans acting like the Big Sky is superior to the WAC hilarious. The WAC teams in Olympic sports overall are better than the Big Sky. NMSU would destroy Montana or Weber or whatever school wins the Big Sky in basketball. Our horrific football program would smoke Montana. I gotta give you guys credit filling a stadium with 25000 fans to beat up on D2 football schools. Too bad your administration can’t grow a pair and move up to FBS football.

Do you get a lot of Montana fans posting on the big NM State message board? You will never convince me that NM State is a real place. Nobody has ever seen it. Most scholars contend that it’s a collection of ideas that are sold online for profit. You can’t just waltz in here like your name is Zeb Noland and try to convince me otherwise.

We don't get any. Not many from Montana leave the Big Sky country. It is beautiful but you should broaden your horizons. I'm a sports nut and recognize Montana would have been a great addition to the WAC when it got its invite but the arrogance of its administration and the lots in the fan base thinking that was a step down is absurd. Just to give you a little education since you seem a little ignorant and think Montana is the center of the universe. Las Cruces has been rated one of the top small cities every year in the US. NMSU is a top tier university academically that is larger than the university of Montana in enrollment and size. Las Cruces is a bigger city than Missoula and one of the fastest growing cities in the USA. Our athletic facilities are bigger than all of Montana's and our basketball program is one of the most successful in mid major basketball. Granted, football is horrible but we did have the bowl game in 2017 and the win over Utah State. You have heard of Utah, right? Its another state in the United States. Anyway, take care. Sorry you are in a conference that is about to be gutted. Maybe you can add Montana Tech to your conference. You guys play them, right? Didn't they beat Montana like last year in basketball?

dancingNMSUaggie said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Do you get a lot of Montana fans posting on the big NM State message board? You will never convince me that NM State is a real place. Nobody has ever seen it. Most scholars contend that it’s a collection of ideas that are sold online for profit. You can’t just waltz in here like your name is Zeb Noland and try to convince me otherwise.

We don't get any. Not many from Montana leave the Big Sky country. It is beautiful but you should broaden your horizons. I'm a sports nut and recognize Montana would have been a great addition to the WAC when it got its invite but the arrogance of its administration and the lots in the fan base thinking that was a step down is absurd. Just to give you a little education since you seem a little ignorant and think Montana is the center of the universe. Las Cruces has been rated one of the top small cities every year in the US. NMSU is a top tier university academically that is larger than the university of Montana in enrollment and size. Las Cruces is a bigger city than Missoula and one of the fastest growing cities in the USA. Our athletic facilities are bigger than all of Montana's and our basketball program is one of the most successful in mid major basketball. Granted, football is horrible but we did have the bowl game in 2017 and the win over Utah State. You have heard of Utah, right? Its another state in the United States. Anyway, take care. Sorry you are in a conference that is about to be gutted. Maybe you can add Montana Tech to your conference. You guys play them, right? Didn't they beat Montana like last year in basketball?

1). New Mexico doesn't hold a candle to Montana! Scenic, livability or football wise...
2). Holding up a win against Utah State as progress for your football team is worthy of a Saturday Night Live skit ...
3). I'd rather have Montana Tech in the Big Sky over NMSU ... food is better in Butte!

EverettGriz said:
OIP.Etrv0iDP0TKErB2qULwuHgHaEZ

So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen goodbye!!!!!

I'm just damn giddy!!! Goooooooood riddance. Now there's about 6 friends it'd be great if you took with you.

Well done EG! :thumb:

dancingNMSUaggie said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Lol. Taking SUU isn’t “gutting the conference”. That is what they call “addition by subtraction”. Now, if y’all would take 3-4 more of the bottom feeders and BSC might get back to its former glory days before it became a refuge for all the lost souls west of the Mississippi. And we don’t need to add anyone. That’s the entire point that apparently you’ve been missing....with 13 (or whatever the number is) football schools, it’s a giant clusterfuck and the only fix is paring down to 9-10 teams.

dancingNMSUaggie said:
The deal is the WAC according to NCAA bylaws and rules holds its "card" to become a football conference again. The end game here is the schools joining will either go independent in football and put all olympic sports will join the WAC. The schools will either all then join FCS football but then eventually transition to FBS football. Again, hilarious you guys think the Big Sky is better than the WAC. The WAC has had a better Ken Pom rating pretty much every year. You dog on Southern Utah but didn't they just sweep your mighty basketball program? When was the last time Montana won an FCS championship game? Asking for a friend.

A NMSU Aggie fan talking smack. Now I’ve seen it all. Isn’t your football team like 7-85 or something like that over the past 8 years? :lol: :lol:

Oh, but wait. There was that ONE year you won a bowl game. Oh yeah, hang your hat on that for the next 25 years, cuz that’s all you’ll have.

AZGrizFan said:
dancingNMSUaggie said:

A NMSU Aggie fan talking smack. Now I’ve seen it all. Isn’t your football team like 7-85 or something like that over the past 8 years? :lol: :lol:

Oh, but wait. There was that ONE year you won a bowl game. Oh yeah, hang your hat on that for the next 25 years, cuz that’s all you’ll have.

Give him a break AZ. He’s just excited to see what a real teams fan forum looks like. He’s so used to posting to himself that he just doesn’t know how to handle himself in public.

Berkeley_Griz said:
dancingNMSUaggie said:
NMSU is a top tier university academically
:lol:

What? Everyone knows it goes:

1. Princeton
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. Yale
5. New Mexico State University
6. MIT
7. Dartmouth
8. Brown
9. Cal Tech
10. Penn

Household names. Many high schoolers apply to New Mexico State University as a reach, and Penn as a safety.

CDAGRIZ said:
Berkeley_Griz said:

1. Princeton
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. Yale
6. MIT
7. Dartmouth
8. Brown
9. Cal Tech
10. Penn

Household names. Many high schoolers apply to New Mexico State University as a reach, and Penn as a safety.

This board needs a pos rep/ "like" function. :thumb:

CDAGRIZ said:
Berkeley_Griz said:

1. Princeton
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. Yale
6. MIT
7. Dartmouth
8. Brown
9. Cal Tech
10. Penn

You left off Moo U!

MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

1. Princeton
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. Yale
6. MIT
7. Dartmouth
8. Brown
9. Cal Tech
10. Penn

You left off Moo U!

It's easily top 10 in the state.

Unreal. https://sports.yahoo.com/report-wac-set-announce-fcs-conference-150817325--ncaaf.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKCM5c1uqCZrQeK3wFXZVwfy1oghZyeie8B8_UjGVSwikSO_Ksx2ztJxYuNgKgcz9EU0DQoUwG8EMxyyQCTuRPELB1QvtE-zsxOYwMWBEPdZEOP-nQ3_01xuzChqFwPUSTqd35cj5UGY7GHIl-f49AlxAyCFgoDTbMh6fo9_FVbA

"(Stats Perform) - The WAC appears back in football.

The Western Athletic Conference, which hasn't sponsored the sport since 2012, will have a rebirth on the FCS level, as part of an Jan. 14 announcement planned at NRG Stadium in Houston, according to Pete Thamel of Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday.

The report said the new football conference will start in 2022 and include current WAC members Dixie State and Tarleton as well as Southern Utah moving over from the Big Sky Conference and Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin joining from the Southland Conference. Several other FCS or Division II programs could be added in the coming months, and the long-term goal of the league is to elevate football back to the FBS, where current WAC member New Mexico State plays as an independent, the report added."

Dixie State in the FCS in ten years? Am I not reading this correctly? I mean WTF?

I guess it’s a good thing... It will give some more “western” FCS teams for OOC games. Well for a time before they transition to FBS.

I imagine having a “stepping” stone FBS conference in the west is a good thing. Not that the Griz will ever look to step out of there comfort zone.

However, if the WAC can get more than one team into March Mdness unlike the BSC with just BSC tourney winner getting in, maybe the WAC would be better?

But again UM doesn’t seem to have a great desire to elevate there athletics.

OrgonGriz said:
I guess it’s a good thing... It will give some more “western” FCS teams for OOC games. Well for a time before they transition to FBS.

I imagine having a “stepping” stone FBS conference in the west is a good thing. Not that the Griz will ever look to step out of there comfort zone.

However, if the WAC can get more than one team into March Mdness unlike the BSC with just BSC tourney winner getting in, maybe the WAC would be better?

But again UM doesn’t seem to have a great desire to elevate there athletics.
UM is in a enrollment crisis and should be commended for not over-reacting with heavy cuts to the AD. And RTD is more feasible at this level. Especially if the good FCS teams keep moving up.

GrizGuy said:
Dixie State in the FCS in ten years? Am I not reading this correctly? I mean WTF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_State_Trailblazers said:
Dixie State began competing in NCAA Division II in the 2006–07 academic year[2]...

On January 11, 2019, Dixie State announced that it would move its sports program up to NCAA Division I by joining the WAC for all sports except football, which became an FCS independent. The transition to D-I, which began upon the school's arrival in the WAC on July 1, 2020, will take four years; during this time, the Trailblazers will be ineligible for NCAA-sanctioned postseason play in any of their current sports.[4]

DoubleNicks said:
GrizGuy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_State_Trailblazers said:
Dixie State began competing in NCAA Division II in the 2006–07 academic year[2]...

On January 11, 2019, Dixie State announced that it would move its sports program up to NCAA Division I by joining the WAC for all sports except football, which became an FCS independent. The transition to D-I, which began upon the school's arrival in the WAC on July 1, 2020, will take four years; during this time, the Trailblazers will be ineligible for NCAA-sanctioned postseason play in any of their current sports.[4]

I guess what baffles me is how, Dixie State folks think they're gonna be FBS level in four years. Or 10. I'd love to see that rose-colored powerpoint that led them to that decision. Or maybe I'm just smoking crack and they are the perfect institution to make this move.

GrizGuy said:

I guess what baffles me is how, Dixie State folks think they're gonna be FBS level in four years. Or 10. I'd love to see that rose-colored powerpoint that led them to that decision. Or maybe I'm just smoking crack and they are the perfect institution to make this move.

Man. Not many years ago Georgia Southern decided to play football. Then, Georgia State. Then, Coastal Carolina...Liberty...

Hell, football started in the Ivies and look at them today. West Point used to be relevant.

Utah could easily have a conference much better than the old Southwest ever was if their prophet tells Disney, who own ESPN and ABC to make BYU, Utah, Utah State, the Idaho schools, Weber and their directional schools, Wyoming, Colorado State prime time viewing. The old SWC Conference was great during radio and Utah, unfortunately, controls the media of today. Don't mock visionaries. Best become LDS pretty soon...

Back