• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jeremy Calhoun

You may be right, Rule. I can see that view too. I do believe that ultimately things like this are a coach's decision.

I don't have a problem with Hauck saying there may not be a scholarship available for next year. It seems that Calhoun could have been given a choice: don't redshirt, or redshirt and know that you may not, or likely won't, have a scholarship next year. Something unfortunate had to occur that caused Calhoun to be off the team completely. I know that things happen, and arguments can occur, which leads to bad results. I just feel bad that something like that must have occurred. I'm not assigning blame. I don't know what occurred.

Whatever had caused Calhoun to not be used more this season, must have improved, because Calhoun had started the last 2 games and had played a much bigger role. I can't imagine that his playing role would have gotten back to about normal in the last 2 games, if he or his character had been deemed to be a negative to the team at this point of the season.

mtgrizrule said:
Unfortunately, part of Hauck's job is to make tough decisions. I am sure a lot went this decision. Some of what I am going to breakdown here is based on my personal experiences (not at Hauck's level), some classes I took in athletic management, and some common sense thinking. Before that, I do wish the GRIZ would just come out with the reasons behind all this, but I doubt it will happen. So, here it goes.

(1) The downtown issue is the only known issue with Calhoun. I am thinking, if there were not more things in this equation, a player of Calhoun's talent would have been a bigger part of the team this season, and/or be welcomed back next season to get completely healthy, make next year's team better, further his education, and experience a final football season with his twin.

(2) What more could've he done that led to this outcome? We know he didn't do anything more illegal. So, there are some minor things that led to all this. Hauck is a stickler for team participation, grades, class attendance, extra time dedicating to bettering as a player, role model, and student. I am guessing it's some combination of tardiness for team functions, class attendance, borderline grades, maybe some run ins with teammates, some questionable social related decisions, and toeing the line a little too much in some areas.

I am thinking Hauck felt everything added up to not justifying keeping him under scholarship for another year, and to use that scholarship for someone else that bought in more, with more leadership. Maybe it all took away from the dynamics of the team, especially negatively influencing the younger players. It could also be a way for to send a loud message to his players, that total buy in and following Hauck's expectations, guidelines, rules, and responsibilities is of upmost importance. Maybe Hauck learned from his 1st round as GRIZ Coach, and felt Calhoun might be a risk to do something worse, that would put him, the team, and university in a worse situation.

If Jeremy were doing everything that Hauck and teammates expect, honestly, why wouldn't Calhoun be in a bigger role this season, and/or playing 1 more season? I feel, I know and trust Hauck well enough to know there is more to all this. Things that will not be of public knowledge. There is no need to disclose information that could further negatively impact whatever future Calhoun has. In this situation, I honestly feel, Hauck and the University are playing it best by keeping everything in house.

As for Coach Hauck, this somewhat sends a message to the fans that he 100% believes in the importance of Character. After all, too many questioned Hauck's stand on character in his 1st stint. I wish Jeremy the best. I hope any issues and struggles he is having, that he gets through and becomes the best person he can be.

Good post.

HookedonGriz said:
dayday said:
Fahque said:
Crazy. Use up his opportunity to redshirt then kick him off the team. Something smells here.

Will be interesting to hear what the facts are.

Did he use up his redshirt though? Maybe he’s trying to redshirt and maybe transfer.

He asked for his redshirt and Hauck told him there isn’t a spot for him on the Griz. I’m guessing it got personal at that point so Hauck just removed him all together. I disagree with this move very much and I think it leads to back to back losses

So, What I'm hearing you say is that Calhoun told Hauck, the head coach, forget about the rest of the season, I'll take it off, ”Redshirt” and if I don't get in any trouble, and Embarrass the team and University you can have me next season.

With two important games left this season let them teammates that gave it their all this season do their best without me, after all this is all about me, and means nothing to you and your staff and my teammates. Is that what you are saying..

spsyk said:
HookedonGriz said:
dayday said:
Fahque said:
Crazy. Use up his opportunity to redshirt then kick him off the team. Something smells here.

Will be interesting to hear what the facts are.

Did he use up his redshirt though? Maybe he’s trying to redshirt and maybe transfer.

He asked for his redshirt and Hauck told him there isn’t a spot for him on the Griz. I’m guessing it got personal at that point so Hauck just removed him all together. I disagree with this move very much and I think it leads to back to back losses

So, What I'm hearing you say is that Calhoun told Hauck, the head coach, forget about the rest of the season, I'll take it off, ”Redshirt” and if I don't get in any trouble, and Embarrass the team and University you can have me next season.

With two important games left this season let them teammates that gave it their all this season do their best without me, after all this is all about me, and means nothing to you and your staff and my teammates. Is that what you are saying..

Nope that’s what you just said.

Try this one instead:

“Coach, I’m wondering if you would be open to me redshirting this year so that I can come back next year and play a full season, which will hopefully help our Griz return to dominance and would give me one more year with my twin brother”

I see no harm in asking that, and like I stated I think 99 out of 100 coaches would’ve handled that request much differently than ours did

I was in complete agreement until I got to this part of your post, rule:

mtgrizrule said:
As for Coach Hauck, this somewhat sends a message to the fans that he 100% believes in the importance of Character.

What would have truly demonstrated character is if the coach would have explained the situation just as you did in your post, instead of publicly kicking the kid to the curb.

PlayerRep said:
I don't have a problem with Hauck saying there may not be a scholarship available for next year. It seems that Calhoun could have been given a choice: don't redshirt, or redshirt and know that you may not, or likely won't, have a scholarship next year.

Exactly. No need to trash the kid.

AllWeatherFan said:

mtgrizrule said:
As for Coach Hauck, this somewhat sends a message to the fans that he 100% believes in the importance of Character.

What would have truly demonstrated character is if the coach would have explained the situation just as you did in your post, instead of publicly kicking the kid to the curb.

I am not defending Bobby or his decisions, but HIPAA rules severely limit what administrators/coaches etc can say in regard to students. Personally I would have loved a better explanation, but keep in mind that Bobby has to be very careful with what he says about his players publicly, and he seems to be of the mind to say nothing at all rather than risk saying something he shouldn't.

AllWeatherFan said:
PlayerRep said:
I don't have a problem with Hauck saying there may not be a scholarship available for next year. It seems that Calhoun could have been given a choice: don't redshirt, or redshirt and know that you may not, or likely won't, have a scholarship next year.

Exactly. No need to trash the kid.

That quote also caught my eye. Very well written and well reasoned point by PR. Hard to refute.

HookedonGriz said:
spsyk said:
HookedonGriz said:
dayday said:

Try this one instead:

“Coach, I’m wondering if you would be open to me redshirting this year so that I can come back next year and play a full season, which will hopefully help our Griz return to dominance and would give me one more year with my twin brother”

I see no harm in asking that, and like I stated I think 99 out of 100 coaches would’ve handled that request much differently than ours did

And coach Hauck has the rest of this season to play, and he plays one game at a time, and it's apparent we didn't need him for Idaho, and don't think we will need him for the cats, and that scholarship that may be wasted for a one year guy may be used by a future Hilliard, Renyolds, etc.

Give up, this was Calhoun decision, as was the decision of Jensen, Hauck makes the decisions for the team not the athletes.

Da Boyz Mom said:
AllWeatherFan said:

mtgrizrule said:

I am not defending Bobby or his decisions, but HIPAA rules severely limit what administrators/coaches etc can say in regard to students. Personally I would have loved a better explanation, but keep in mind that Bobby has to be very careful with what he says about his players publicly, and he seems to be of the mind to say nothing at all rather than risk saying something he shouldn't.

I know what you mean, but it would have been better not to say that the kid didn't "want to play anymore."

Da Boyz Mom said:
AllWeatherFan said:

mtgrizrule said:

Maybe a mantra to the press?:
All I can say is that JC is no longer on the team. We wish him the best in his future endeavors.

spsyk said:
HookedonGriz said:
spsyk said:
HookedonGriz said:

Try this one instead:

And coach Hauck has the rest of this season to play, and he plays one game at a time, and it's apparent we didn't need him for Idaho, and don't think we will need him for the cats, and that scholarship that may be wasted for a one year guy may be used by a future Hilliard, Renyolds, etc.

Give up, this was Calhoun decision, as was the decision of Jensen, Hauck makes the decisions for the team not the athletes.

If you can’t see that he’s the best RB (by far) on this team and helps the offense go, then I can’t help you.

Ursa Major said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
AllWeatherFan said:

mtgrizrule said:

Maybe a mantra to the press?:
All I can say is that JC is no longer on the team. We wish him the best in his future endeavors.

I absolutely agree. Even though Bobby is older and (supposedly) wiser this go round, he has proven that he is still not immune to saying some dumb things.

AllWeatherFan said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
AllWeatherFan said:

mtgrizrule said:

I know what you mean, but it would have been better not to say that the kid didn't "want to play anymore."

As you probably know, HIPPA deals with health-related information. Can't imagine it has any applicability to this situation.

While I am not a privacy expert, I doubt that any privacy rules would apply to this situation.

HookedonGriz said:
spsyk said:
HookedonGriz said:
spsyk said:

Try this one instead:

If you can’t see that he’s the best RB (by far) on this team and helps the offense go, then I can’t help you.
[/quote

You got it all wrong, makes no difference what you or I think how great a RB Calhoun is, he made his call to Hauck, and Hauck needed him for the remainder of this season, and Calhoun was in disagreement.

The bad is no more Calhoun

The good is scholarship a available for an up and coming athlete and the the Griz move on

AllWeatherFan said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
AllWeatherFan said:

mtgrizrule said:

Calhoun obviously wanted to play more, as he apparently wanted to play a full season next year.

Or maybe, "The player wanted to redshirt. The coaches wanted him to play in the important remaining games, as he has worked his way back into starting and is important to the team. There was not agreement, and it was decided that he wouldn't make the trip to Idaho and would no longer be part of the team. I will have no further comment."

Again, I am not intending to criticize or assign blame. I don't know what occurred or was said. I just find it to be an interesting situation. I am a bit sad it worked out this way. I don't fault the kid for throwing a punch in the situation. Back in the day, I might have done the same thing. (The difference is that I probably would have broken my hand instead of the other guy's jaw.) The kid served his punishment, which was not insignificant. He worked his way back into playing time and starting. I just wish it handed ended this way. I understand and support coaches generally, but I still tend to look at things from a player's perspective. I'm not saying it was a good idea for the kid to make this decision to talk to the coach about this. I wonder if he ran this by his position coach first, and got some informal advice there. I have never met the Calhoun brothers, so don't know much about them.

Back