• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU Brings in 250k in Beer Sales

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Arguments against:

1. There MIGHT not be enough urinals (but, there might be. No proof either way, but it sounds like a good inside reason).
2. There are always hundreds of reasons to not adapt/innovate.
3. It simply can’t be done.

What am I missing?

Stitt?

Probably had a hand in it. 3-5 more years to undo it.

Selling beer in the stadium is such 2002 idea. For once UM needs to get ahead of the curve, and GSA needs to open edible bars inside the stadium. Benefits:

More profitable and no need to spend money on a liquor license

Bring back the younger generation (in states where pot is legalized more college students use pot than drink alcohol)

Cleaner - less garbage or recycling

Less bathroom requirements

Higher pizza and Viking sales

Fewer leaving at halftime (or for an hour or so after the game)

Negatives:

Crowd won’t be as loud

You will probably end up smelling like pizza after the game.

UM has a real chance to be a trend setter, and raise money.

Grizbeer said:
Selling beer in the stadium is such 2002 idea. For once UM needs to get ahead of the curve, and GSA needs to open edible bars inside the stadium. Benefits:

Bring back the younger generation (in states where pot is legalized more college students use pot than drink alcohol)

Negatives:

Crowd won’t be as loud

I'm 100% behind this, but we're going to need that initiative to pass this year first.

Grizbeer said:

Negatives:

Crowd won’t be as loud

:lol:
Not enough pizza concessions . . . Doritos shortages . . .
Even if it becomes legal . . .
Can't be done.

Htowngriz said:
Grizbeer said:

Negatives:

Crowd won’t be as loud

I'm 100% behind this, but we're going to need that initiative to pass this year first.

I'm with you. Unfortunately it is still a felony on a federal level I believe. Not sure a college that receives any federal money or tax breaks would want to get involved.

JMU's stadium is only 300 seats less the Wa Griz. Griz fans might drink more then Dukes but the size comparison is equal. What happens to the family environment?

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Arguments against:

1. There MIGHT not be enough urinals (but, there might be. No proof either way, but it sounds like a good inside reason).
2. There are always hundreds of reasons to not adapt/innovate.
3. It simply can’t be done.

What am I missing?

Stitt?

Engstrom.

Grizbeer said:

Negatives:

Crowd won’t be as loud

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is brilliant.

grizpack said:
Currently, the University does not have its own liquor license. They put out bids for catering every few years. I believe the Badlander or the Rhino has or had it. I am not sure what they would have to do to get their own license. Alcohol sales don't bring in that much currently for basketball.

So compare to the GSA beer sales. Who does that? Why is it fine for UM to sell beer at the GSA tent and not in the game, except in the Canyon Club.

While UM has had this view against alcohol sales for awhile, I think Haslam, presumably a non-drinker, is probably part of the current problem. I doubt that the new Pres is the problem.

When I brought this up last year with a senior in-the-know-person, they said "bring us a plan". This was only a short casual conversation.

Perhaps Brint and I should assemble the egriz beer sales planning team, and put together a plan. We've done at least one big plan in the past together, and some little ones. Don't know if he's interested.

Beer sales aren't big for basketball, because almost no one at games is in the Sky Club. Also, the Sky Club isn't open early in the season. Also, the people in the Sky Club are generally old and not big beer or alcohol drinkers. Not a good comparison to beer at football games.

The bathroom excuse is one of the dumbest excuses I've ever heard for anything in my entire life.

"he restaurant beer and wine license [in Missoula] starts at $42,000 and the beer license has a minimum bid starting at $122,000."

July 2019 article.

https://www.kpax.com/news/missoula-county/2019/07/22/missoula-gets-three-new-liquor-licenses-due-to-population-growth/

Haslam is definitely not part of the problem. He is on board with beer sales. But trying to figure out the logistics of it all. This topic has been discussed on here before. But Haslam has approached the GSA and probably many others to discuss it.

Few options have been thrown around.

1. Sell beer in the upper east side. So all the seats in and around canyon club. Would have to have a ticket and wrist band in that section. Issue is all the season ticket holders that aren’t in those sections couldn’t have beer.

2. Sell beer near the south end zone entrance. Similar to what Washington did. This was the idea I liked best. You could fence in part of the parking lot. What get carded and a wrist band when you entered the area. Couldn’t leave it while drinking.

3. Sell beer at different locations/concessions throughout the stadium. This would make beer accessible anywhere in the stadium. So would be hardest to control. But would also bring in the most gross sales.

One of the issues is the GSA losing money. No way could the GSA handle being in charge of this. All volunteers. And of course concessions and the school would want their cut.

Many options on the table. And I bet it happens sooner than later. Will be interesting.

BDizzle said:
Haslam is definitely not part of the problem. He is on board with beer sales. But trying to figure out the logistics of it all. This topic has been discussed on here before. But Haslam has approached the GSA and probably many others to discuss it.

1. Sell beer in the upper east side. So all the seats in and around canyon club. Would have to have a ticket and wrist band in that section. Issue is all the season ticket holders that aren’t in those sections couldn’t have beer.

2. Sell beer near the south end zone entrance. Similar to what Washington did. This was the idea I liked best. You could fence in part of the parking lot. What get carded and a wrist band when you entered the area. Couldn’t leave it while drinking.

3. Sell beer at different locations/concessions throughout the stadium. This would make beer accessible anywhere in the stadium. So would be hardest to control. But would also bring in the most gross sales.

One of the issues is the GSA losing money. No way could the GSA handle being in charge of this. All volunteers. And of course concessions and the school would want their cut.

Many options on the table. And I bet it happens sooner than later. Will be interesting.

The logistics of selling beer at concessions stands along with hot dogs and reheated pizza slices inside Washington-Grizzly Stadium must be so complex that a dunce like me can’t conceptualize it. I’m told it can’t be done, but, if we get our top men on it, maybe anything is possible.

BDizzle said:

Good to hear on Haslam. However, if UM can't figure out how to sell beer at the stadium, the university should probably just close. This just can't be that hard. Beer is sold in stadiums all over the US including at colleges. It's sold at the clubs at football and basketball and in the GSA area. How hard can it be? Even CDA could figure out how to do it.

What's the deal with wrist bands for everyone? Is that required? What a waste.

CDAGRIZ said:
BDizzle said:

The logistics of selling beer at concessions stands along with hot dogs and reheated pizza slices inside Washington-Grizzly Stadium must be so complex that a dunce like me can’t conceptualize it. I’m told it can’t be done, but, if we get our top men on it, maybe anything is possible.

O, pls. Even dunces know how to hire someone to build a bathroom, or bring in a porta potty? Ask the people who bring the portables to the tailgate area? They could probably help.

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
BDizzle said:

O, pls. Even dunces know how to hire someone to build a bathroom, or bring in a porta potty? Ask the people who bring the portables to the tailgate area? They could probably help.

You know and I know that if a flat $6 Coors Light is offered with an order of nachos at the existing Concessions stands inside the stadium, all hell will break loose on the urinals. There is no solution; it can’t be done.

CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
BDizzle said:

You know and I know that if a flat $6 Coors Light is offered with an order of nachos at the existing Concessions stands inside the stadium, all hell will break loose on the urinals. There is no solution; it can’t be done.

I suppose you're right. I like 4-sided open urinals they use in Amsterdam. Seen them?

https://www.google.com/search?q=4+sided+open+urinals+in+amsterdam&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=AfgDdsYjq4JuLM%253A%252C40qwwQulKSNwDM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTqQPHoQiwukZWYu7gmUhwwhir78Q&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj5-c6lipnnAhXwV98KHS1mAVUQ9QEwAnoECAYQCQ#imgrc=AfgDdsYjq4JuLM:

How about those flower pot ones in Paris? Those could end global warming by growing more plants.

BDizzle said:

1. is easiest; all they would have to do is provide a beer concession on the second level, where there is unused space. Display ticket rather than wrist bands. Might help sell out the upper deck. There are bathrooms there now, but there are lines at halftime.

2. is hardly an improvement of the current situation where you have to bolt the stadium to get a beer. Hardly different than the tailgate system for the customer. Only advantage is letting UM get their hooks into the revenue.

3. is one practiced in several colleges and the winner. Ability to take the beer back to the seat with food is key.

It's also key that revenues go to the AD; maybe it could provide COA; it certainly doesn't need to go to the food service like today's concession revenues do. Operations could be contracted with the supplier.

It appears that some of you think it’s soooo simple to just tap a few kegs in the existing concessions stands and sell each pour at a tremendous profit. Have you thought about this?: who is going to tap the kegs? Who will pour the beer? These are hurdles that cannot be overcome. It can’t be done.

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I suppose you're right. I like 4-sided open urinals they use in Amsterdam. Seen them?

https://www.google.com/search?q=4+sided+open+urinals+in+amsterdam&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=AfgDdsYjq4JuLM%253A%252C40qwwQulKSNwDM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTqQPHoQiwukZWYu7gmUhwwhir78Q&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj5-c6lipnnAhXwV98KHS1mAVUQ9QEwAnoECAYQCQ#imgrc=AfgDdsYjq4JuLM:

How about those flower pot ones in Paris? Those could end global warming by growing more plants.

Those are incredible, but they cannot be implemented in a place like Missoula because...uh...no conference will take us?

CDAGRIZ said:
It appears that some of you think it’s soooo simple to just tap a few kegs in the existing concessions stands and sell each pour at a tremendous profit. Have you thought about this?: who is going to tap the kegs? Who will pour the beer? These are hurdles that cannot be overcome. It can’t be done.
Can't is a very large word; the idea requires open minds. I don't see anyone suggesting beer sales from the existing food concessions, for a lot reasons, one being we don't want the revenues from beer sales going to the same place that food sales currently go. There is a separate beer concession station at UNC, close to the food concession. Works well, of course with much smaller crowds. AT WGS, the east second level concession area is largely unused; another on the west side would be needed. One option for the sale of beer operations is to contract it, possibly with the distributor.

Back