• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU Brings in 250k in Beer Sales

PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:
It doesn't seem like a viable option. There is no-where near the necessary infrastructure in place to handle beer sales that would keep more people inside the Stadium at halftime. The concourse is way too narrow for a Stadium of it's capacity. It would be complete gridlock and long lines for the few beer outlets that they would have to shoehorn in somewhere. And Yes they'd need many new bathrooms as well. The lines are already ridiculous at halftime, and that is with half the people leaving the stadium.

The concourse on the east side is very large and wide. Lots of room. Have you ever been on the east side concourse?
And the concourse upstairs is largely unused.

Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:
It doesn't seem like a viable option. There is no-where near the necessary infrastructure in place to handle beer sales that would keep more people inside the Stadium at halftime. The concourse is way too narrow for a Stadium of it's capacity. It would be complete gridlock and long lines for the few beer outlets that they would have to shoehorn in somewhere. And Yes they'd need many new bathrooms as well. The lines are already ridiculous at halftime, and that is with half the people leaving the stadium.

The concourse on the east side is very large and wide. Lots of room. Have you ever been on the east side concourse?

So your solution is to only sell beer on the east side? That doesn't solve the pathetically under-serviced bathroom facilities.
So you're suggesting that those that rush out to tailgates before the first half ends, guzzle several beers before returning midway through the 3rd quarter, return with empty bladders? I doubt that with beer available inside the stadium, and halftime departure forbidden, would produce a dramatic increase in the bathroom traffic.

kemajic said:
Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:

So your solution is to only sell beer on the east side? That doesn't solve the pathetically under-serviced bathroom facilities.
So you're suggesting that those that rush out to tailgates before the first half ends, guzzle several beers before returning midway through the 3rd quarter, return with empty bladders? I doubt that with beer available inside the stadium, and halftime departure forbidden, would produce a dramatic increase in the bathroom traffic.

I’ve read this idea before. I can’t remember where.

If we had beer sales we could fund the COA for our athletes, a no brainer in my mind. Haslem needs to get going on this, or is his LDS'ism going to hold this back? Not picking on him, I respect him, but the athletes come first.

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
It appears that some of you think it’s soooo simple to just tap a few kegs in the existing concessions stands and sell each pour at a tremendous profit. Have you thought about this?: who is going to tap the kegs? Who will pour the beer? These are hurdles that cannot be overcome. It can’t be done.
Can't is a very large word; the idea requires open minds. I don't see anyone suggesting beer sales from the existing food concessions, for a lot reasons, one being we don't want the revenues from beer sales going to the same place that food sales currently go. There is a separate beer concession station at UNC, close to the food concession. Works well, of course with much smaller crowds. AT WGS, the east second level concession area is largely unused; another on the west side would be needed. One option for the sale of beer operations is to contract it, possibly with the distributor.

It appears that some of you think it’s soooo simple to just tap a few kegs outside of the existing concessions stands and sell each pour at a tremendous profit. Have you thought about this?: who is going to tap the kegs? Who will pour the beer? These are hurdles that cannot be overcome. It can’t be done.

No, it's not as simple as just tapping a keg, but it is not nearly as difficult many are making it out to be. What hurdles are there in who will tap and pour the beer? The people put in place to run the game day operations of beer sales will be able to do both of these things. Who are those people? Depends on which route you want to go.
Assume a % of sales goes to each example and that those pouring will be able to tap it as well:
1. GSA members
2. Existing concessions operation with a re-structured and re-built business structure.
3. Newly developed club, organization, department, etc. within the University in some capacity. Could be something within the Athletics department or could be something falling under the Speech and Drama umbrella. Multiple options available with this one.
4. A community organization outside of the University. I'm not aware if Missoula has one, but an Exchange Club is an example of what I'm referring too.
5. Unaffiliated outside company/vendor with operational oversight
6. Lean on alcohol distributors for their support in all facets of the operation. From additional labor, extra equipment, layout, policies, procedures, set up/tear down, startup funding assistance with the draft beer system and more, supply needed extras like ice and cups, and the list goes on and on. Many would be surprised at how much help alcohol distributors offer as a standard. With the increase in sales they stand to gain from this, they will provide endless amounts of help.
7. Implementing beer sales does not come with a mandatory requirement to sell draft beer either. Sell only aluminum bottles or cans and no draft beer as your year 1 plan.
For 1-5 all that is needed by anyone pouring or serving beer is to complete one of Montana's State approved alcohol server trying programs then show up and pour beer.
In person classes are available at a cost not exceeding $15/class. There are also numerous classes available online that usually charge more to take. I'd even teach a couple of in person classes in the Missoula for $8 instead of $15 if it helped make beer sales a go.

I'm by no means saying a set up and implementation plan would be easy. I will say that someone with knowledge and experience in the food/beverage industry would be able to build the entire operational frame work needed to efficiently operate game day beer sales without losing much, if any sleep while doing so.

Igotgoodsources said:
CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
It appears that some of you think it’s soooo simple to just tap a few kegs in the existing concessions stands and sell each pour at a tremendous profit. Have you thought about this?: who is going to tap the kegs? Who will pour the beer? These are hurdles that cannot be overcome. It can’t be done.
Can't is a very large word; the idea requires open minds. I don't see anyone suggesting beer sales from the existing food concessions, for a lot reasons, one being we don't want the revenues from beer sales going to the same place that food sales currently go. There is a separate beer concession station at UNC, close to the food concession. Works well, of course with much smaller crowds. AT WGS, the east second level concession area is largely unused; another on the west side would be needed. One option for the sale of beer operations is to contract it, possibly with the distributor.

It appears that some of you think it’s soooo simple to just tap a few kegs outside of the existing concessions stands and sell each pour at a tremendous profit. Have you thought about this?: who is going to tap the kegs? Who will pour the beer? These are hurdles that cannot be overcome. It can’t be done.

No, it's not as simple as just tapping a keg, but it is not nearly as difficult many are making it out to be. What hurdles are there in who will tap and pour the beer? The people put in place to run the game day operations of beer sales will be able to do both of these things. Who are those people? Depends on which route you want to go.
Assume a % of sales goes to each example and that those pouring will be able to tap it as well:
1. GSA members
2. Existing concessions operation with a re-structured and re-built business structure.
3. Newly developed club, organization, department, etc. within the University in some capacity. Could be something within the Athletics department or could be something falling under the Speech and Drama umbrella. Multiple options available with this one.
4. A community organization outside of the University. I'm not aware if Missoula has one, but an Exchange Club is an example of what I'm referring too.
5. Unaffiliated outside company/vendor with operational oversight
6. Lean on alcohol distributors for their support in all facets of the operation. From additional labor, extra equipment, layout, policies, procedures, set up/tear down, startup funding assistance with the draft beer system and more, supply needed extras like ice and cups, and the list goes on and on. Many would be surprised at how much help alcohol distributors offer as a standard. With the increase in sales they stand to gain from this, they will provide endless amounts of help.
7. Implementing beer sales does not come with a mandatory requirement to sell draft beer either. Sell only aluminum bottles or cans and no draft beer as your year 1 plan.
For 1-5 all that is needed by anyone pouring or serving beer is to complete one of Montana's State approved alcohol server trying programs then show up and pour beer.
In person classes are available at a cost not exceeding $15/class. There are also numerous classes available online that usually charge more to take. I'd even teach a couple of in person classes in the Missoula for $8 instead of $15 if it helped make beer sales a go.

I'm by no means saying a set up and implementation plan would be easy. I will say that someone with knowledge and experience in the food/beverage industry would be able to build the entire operational frame work needed to efficiently operate game day beer sales without losing much, if any sleep while doing so.
Well done. You added a lot of meat to the bone that is pretty easy to see. In Billings we have a Mustangs Booster Group that handles all the beer sales at Mustang games. It is not small volume for 38+ games. All trained volunteers; handle the sourcing, delivery, financials, everything. Members from all walks of life including law enforcement. It's not rocket science. It is a partnership with both the ownership of the team and the distributors. We make a ton of money, most of which goes into funding local youth baseball. It is a very fun organization; there is a waiting list for new members.

Why wouldn't UM just look at the various models of what other colleges already do, get some good ideas, pick a couple, and then evaluate and modify them to fit UM's situation and what UM would like to do. The evaluation would include looking at MT's liquor laws and evaluating insurance. And perhaps consult CDA and Brint on toilets.

PlayerRep said:
Why wouldn't UM just look at the various models of what other colleges already do, get some good ideas, pick a couple, and then evaluate and modify them to fit UM's situation and what UM would like to do. The evaluation would include looking at MT's liquor laws and evaluating insurance. And perhaps consult CDA and Brint on toilets.
Agreed, this seems obvious. It's not like beer has never been sold before. There's always someone who wants to reinvent the wheel.

reinell30 could raise about half of what is needed by putting an old coffee can on his liquor table.

PlayerRep said:

Completely agree with all of these ideas as well.
Regardless if they do it their own way or if they pick a model already being used by someone else, constructing the operation with out using someone having relative experience at the level I suggested will almost certainly end in complete failure. Just my opinion as a person with the experience that I refer to.

Dillon said:
Pour a BEER & more will come!
Can confirm the accuracy of this statement. Happy Super Sunday to All! (I love the High Holidays; Super Sunday and Hangover Monday)

After careful reflection and contemplation, it has become rather apparent why “it can’t be done”. This group is good and just. *blinking* I have joined them. *blinking* We may have lost the Battle of the Night Games, but we shall not allow beer in the stadium. I am not in danger. *blinking* I am with my own, true people, and we will win through with our righteous might! Beer shall not taint the innards of WAGriz. *blinking wildly*

-FSPB

Back