• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU Brings in 250k in Beer Sales

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
It appears that some of you think it’s soooo simple to just tap a few kegs in the existing concessions stands and sell each pour at a tremendous profit. Have you thought about this?: who is going to tap the kegs? Who will pour the beer? These are hurdles that cannot be overcome. It can’t be done.
Can't is a very large word; the idea requires open minds. I don't see anyone suggesting beer sales from the existing food concessions, for a lot reasons, one being we don't want the revenues from beer sales going to the same place that food sales currently go. There is a separate beer concession station at UNC, close to the food concession. Works well, of course with much smaller crowds. AT WGS, the east second level concession area is largely unused; another on the west side would be needed. One option for the sale of beer operations is to contract it, possibly with the distributor.

It appears that some of you think it’s soooo simple to just tap a few kegs outside of the existing concessions stands and sell each pour at a tremendous profit. Have you thought about this?: who is going to tap the kegs? Who will pour the beer? These are hurdles that cannot be overcome. It can’t be done.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
It appears that some of you think it’s soooo simple to just tap a few kegs in the existing concessions stands and sell each pour at a tremendous profit. Have you thought about this?: who is going to tap the kegs? Who will pour the beer? These are hurdles that cannot be overcome. It can’t be done.
Can't is a very large word; the idea requires open minds. I don't see anyone suggesting beer sales from the existing food concessions, for a lot reasons, one being we don't want the revenues from beer sales going to the same place that food sales currently go. There is a separate beer concession station at UNC, close to the food concession. Works well, of course with much smaller crowds. AT WGS, the east second level concession area is largely unused; another on the west side would be needed. One option for the sale of beer operations is to contract it, possibly with the distributor.

Pretty sure the distributors could figure out the logistics and make bids. Where there's a buck, there's a way.

Are you saying that tapping kegs and pouring beers is a specialized skill set that is difficult to master? See cclarkblues avatar!

MikeyGriz said:
Are you saying that tapping kegs and pouring beers is a specialized skill set that is difficult to master? See cclarkblues avatar!

Oh, so we’re just going to act like some random high schoolers can accomplish these feats every weekend in the woods? Please. If it were that easy, I’m sure the Sigma Nu bros would be doing it.

CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:

Oh, so we’re just going to act like some random high schoolers can accomplish these feats every weekend in the woods? Please. If it were that easy, I’m sure the Sigma Nu bros would be doing it.

Heaven forbid!

CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:

Heaven forbid!

MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:

Heaven forbid!

I’ll let you in on a little secret because I like you: there are multiple heavens involved, and they are all to Betsy.

CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:

Heaven forbid!

I’ll let you in on a little secret because I like you: there are multiple heavens involved, and they are all to Betsy.

Or to mergatroid.

The other side of which is "The hell you say!"

PlayerRep said:
BDizzle said:
Haslam is definitely not part of the problem. He is on board with beer sales. But trying to figure out the logistics of it all. This topic has been discussed on here before. But Haslam has approached the GSA and probably many others to discuss it.

Few options have been thrown around.

1. Sell beer in the upper east side. So all the seats in and around canyon club. Would have to have a ticket and wrist band in that section. Issue is all the season ticket holders that aren’t in those sections couldn’t have beer.

2. Sell beer near the south end zone entrance. Similar to what Washington did. This was the idea I liked best. You could fence in part of the parking lot. What get carded and a wrist band when you entered the area. Couldn’t leave it while drinking.

3. Sell beer at different locations/concessions throughout the stadium. This would make beer accessible anywhere in the stadium. So would be hardest to control. But would also bring in the most gross sales.

One of the issues is the GSA losing money. No way could the GSA handle being in charge of this. All volunteers. And of course concessions and the school would want their cut.

Many options on the table. And I bet it happens sooner than later. Will be interesting.

Good to hear on Haslam. However, if UM can't figure out how to sell beer at the stadium, the university should probably just close. This just can't be that hard. Beer is sold in stadiums all over the US including at colleges. It's sold at the clubs at football and basketball and in the GSA area. How hard can it be? Even CDA could figure out how to do it.

What's the deal with wrist bands for everyone? Is that required? What a waste.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Very succinctly put.

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:

It appears that some of you think it’s soooo simple to just tap a few kegs outside of the existing concessions stands and sell each pour at a tremendous profit. Have you thought about this?: who is going to tap the kegs? Who will pour the beer? These are hurdles that cannot be overcome. It can’t be done.
It appears you can't read - or you have blocked explanations.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:

It appears you can't read - or you have blocked explanations.

Read? Hmm. Maybe give it another try. It never hurts to double check.

MontanaJack2006 said:
Haslam is a teetotaler, right?

We need a rebellion against the regime.

The penis mightier the sword. Follow me.

I’m right there behind you.

Possibilities are endless.... https://county10.com/wyoming-fans-help-break-arizona-bowl-beer-sales-record-by-a-lot/

It doesn't seem like a viable option. There is no-where near the necessary infrastructure in place to handle beer sales that would keep more people inside the Stadium at halftime. The concourse is way too narrow for a Stadium of it's capacity. It would be complete gridlock and long lines for the few beer outlets that they would have to shoehorn in somewhere. And Yes they'd need many new bathrooms as well. The lines are already ridiculous at halftime, and that is with half the people leaving the stadium.

Zirg said:
It doesn't seem like a viable option. There is no-where near the necessary infrastructure in place to handle beer sales that would keep more people inside the Stadium at halftime. The concourse is way too narrow for a Stadium of it's capacity. It would be complete gridlock and long lines for the few beer outlets that they would have to shoehorn in somewhere. And Yes they'd need many new bathrooms as well. The lines are already ridiculous at halftime, and that is with half the people leaving the stadium.

Thank you. It can’t be done. If they sell beer to one person, what happens if another person wants one? What? Are we supposed to sell one to that person? What about the next person? Just go ahead and sell that person a beer, too? The urinals will be over-urinated.

Zirg said:

The concourse on the east side is very large and wide. Lots of room. Have you ever been on the east side concourse?

PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:

The concourse on the east side is very large and wide. Lots of room. Have you ever been on the east side concourse?

So your solution is to only sell beer on the east side? That doesn't solve the pathetically under-serviced bathroom facilities.

Back