• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kaimin Mending Fences

ordigger said:
GGNez said:
rail43boy said:
I get so damn tired of hearing "smart people (for lack of a better term)" saying that liberals don't want to hear facts. FU. I am a liberal and proud to be one and I definitely care about the truth. And don't say that liberals don't work for a living - I worked for 42 years before retiring. And yes I think Ms. Davies, Daveys (what ever her name is) is full of crap up to her eyeballs.

Seriously...there are many Dems who post on here and don’t fit into the stereotypes many of you bash them with regularly. That needs to stop. Leave political party insults out of it. Some of the most ardent Griz fans, Hauck supporters and eGriz readers are proud to be Liberal. To assume otherwise is ignorant and damaging to any effort to increase support of Hauck and the football program.

The left and the right are basically the same. Both have agendas, and point fingers. Neither is interested in working together with others for what is best for the country. However, that has nothing to do with being Griz fans, and the people that try to link them, are the ones that need to look in the mirror. I learned a long time ago, that those that cast stones, probably should get stoned. lol Being a Griz fan should have nothing to do with who you vote for.

I totally agree...and, you'll note...did acknowledge the preachy nature of my commentary.
One of the things I wrote regarding my love for Grizzly football was back during the divisiveness of the W presidency. I wrote about how good it felt to put on the maroon gear, join the others at Wa-Griz and, for a few hours, we were all on the same side.

Yes, politics should be completely separate.

GGNez said:
ordigger said:
GGNez said:
rail43boy said:
I get so damn tired of hearing "smart people (for lack of a better term)" saying that liberals don't want to hear facts. FU. I am a liberal and proud to be one and I definitely care about the truth. And don't say that liberals don't work for a living - I worked for 42 years before retiring. And yes I think Ms. Davies, Daveys (what ever her name is) is full of crap up to her eyeballs.

Seriously...there are many Dems who post on here and don’t fit into the stereotypes many of you bash them with regularly. That needs to stop. Leave political party insults out of it. Some of the most ardent Griz fans, Hauck supporters and eGriz readers are proud to be Liberal. To assume otherwise is ignorant and damaging to any effort to increase support of Hauck and the football program.

The left and the right are basically the same. Both have agendas, and point fingers. Neither is interested in working together with others for what is best for the country. However, that has nothing to do with being Griz fans, and the people that try to link them, are the ones that need to look in the mirror. I learned a long time ago, that those that cast stones, probably should get stoned. lol Being a Griz fan should have nothing to do with who you vote for.

I totally agree...and, you'll note...did acknowledge the preachy nature of my commentary.
One of the things I wrote regarding my love for Grizzly football was back during the divisiveness of the W presidency. I wrote about how good it felt to put on the maroon gear, join the others at Wa-Griz and, for a few hours, we were all on the same side.

Never have been and never will be separate. Especially football and political awakening. They will always be connected in America. The boycott of the Moscow Olympics took the next administration beyond acceptable dialogue and led to great leadership. Watch the University of Montana recover and grow beyond expectations.

ordigger said:
GGNez said:
rail43boy said:

Couldn’t agree more, digger. That’s why I haven’t voted for a major party candidate in 16 years. Neither major party has our best interests in mind.

AZGrizFan said:
ordigger said:
GGNez said:
rail43boy said:

Couldn’t agree more, digger. That’s why I haven’t voted for a major party candidate in 16 years. Neither major party has our best interests in mind.
Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ordigger said:
GGNez said:
rail43boy said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I don’t always agree with you but those first 3 sentences are the most honest that I’ve ever read.

GrizMusician said:
At what point does the University reel in the Kaimin? At this point they are not reporting facts, and are of no use to the university, students, or alumni.

They cut it from four days/week to one. Reel it in any more and it will disappear.

bearister said:
GrizMusician said:
At what point does the University reel in the Kaimin? At this point they are not reporting facts, and are of no use to the university, students, or alumni.

They cut it from four days/week to one. Reel it in any more and it will disappear.

Obviously I’m not talking about cutting the frequency of the paper.

The Kaimin gets some of its funding from the association of students, not the school administration, which has been trying to "reign" in the newspaper for decades. Best of luck with that.

big kahuna said:
The Kaimin gets some of its funding from the association of students, not the school administration, which has been trying to "reign" in the newspaper for decades. Best of luck with that.

Indeed, the school has tried to 'reign' in the paper for decades.

Interesting story related to that. My father worked on the paper's business side back in the late 40s. One of the folks working on the news side was a guy named Carroll O'Connor, probably better known to millions of Americans as Archie Bunker. O'Connor was majoring, I believe, in theater.

The editor at that time (don't remember his name) was upset with the administration and the regents because they were using student funds in some way he didn't like. He decided to run a front-page cartoon that depicted those in power as rats feeding on bags of grain (student money).

The paper came out with the cartoon and the administration ordered that it be confiscated and destroyed. The editor and O'Connor resigned in protest. Maybe some others did as well.

I believe I have a copy of that paper that my father kept and passed on to me somewhere, but it is buried somewhere in the family archives.

grizonbob said:
big kahuna said:

Interesting story related to that. My father worked on the paper's business side back in the late 40s. One of the folks working on the news side was a guy named Carroll O'Connor, probably better known to millions of Americans as Archie Bunker. O'Connor was majoring, I believe, in theater.

The editor at that time (don't remember his name) was upset with the administration and the regents because they were using student funds in some way he didn't like. He decided to run a front-page cartoon that depicted those in power as rats feeding on bags of grain (student money).

The paper came out with the cartoon and the administration ordered that it be confiscated and destroyed. The editor and O'Connor resigned in protest. Maybe some others did as well.

I believe I have a copy of that paper that my father kept and passed on to me somewhere, but it is buried somewhere in the family archives.

I wonder if he called the UM President meathead?

grizonbob said:
big kahuna said:

Bill Smurr was the editor

GGNez said:
ordigger said:
GGNez said:
rail43boy said:

Absolutely, same theory for foxholes.

Tony Clifton said:
grizonbob said:
big kahuna said:

Bill Smurr was the editor

That's the guy. I have no idea what Smurr went on to do. Do you?

Ursa Major said:
grizonbob said:
big kahuna said:

I wonder if he called the UM President meathead?

Funny. Probably called him worse than that...

The Unelected Power Behind UM

Missoulian guest column
By Hunter Pauli, Former Kaimin Editor

Every Grizzly football game begins with a pledge of allegiance to American democracy, but at the University of Montana the ideal of a community electing its leaders is thrown out in favor of rule by political appointees, unelected bureaucrats and local oligarchs.

Those foaming over the hiring of Bobby Hauck aren't upset because the university community had a vote for head football coach and their candidate lost. They're upset because unelected boosters handpicked a man who inadvertently correlated the University of Montana with rape, driving down enrollment for years and gutting academics. At the behest of Grizzly athletics' private donors, this man was hired by an athletic director appointed by a university president himself appointed by a board of regents appointed by the highest executive official in the state, who actually was chosen by the people.

At no point in UM's saga of football, rape and enrollment has there been any public accountability. The unelected coach Robin Pflugrad was fired by the unelected president Royce Engstrom who was fired by the unelected board of regents. None of these failed public officials ever threw themselves on their swords by resigning, and the chain of appointed offices runs so high that anyone wishing to recall the elected official responsible for the mess would have nowhere to turn but the governor's mansion.

But holding Gov. Steve Bullock responsible for the actions of a football coach four degrees removed from him is inappropriate, especially when major athletic decisions fall to the state oligarchs who ply the Athletic Department with cash. Those critical of UM's administration for building new athletic facilities while laying off professors in the aftermath of an athletic scandal have misplaced the blame. The money for the Washington-Grizzly Champions Center was earmarked specifically for its construction by its donor, the Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation, no matter if the university community thinks it more important to preserve academics.

Likely sensing their brand was tarnished by connotations of rape and degraded academics, the Washington Foundation donated another $10 million in October to expand UM's College of Education, which was adorned with the Washington name in 2009 after a previous donation. There is no doubt the Washington Foundation's money is being put to good use making Montana's top education program even better, but one has to wonder why the only support for education on campus is coming from an aging copper king whitewashing his legacy rather than the legislature elected to invest in the state's future.

Billionaire industrialist Dennis Washington was rich before he bought the Berkeley Pit and adjoining mining rights in Butte, but the copper and molybdenum flowing out of the new Continental Pit made him the richest man in the state. In thanks, Washington gifted UM its first proper bowl stadium, which opened three months after the new open pit mine. Like the university's appointed leaders, Washington will likely never be held accountable for fallout resulting from either of those holes in the ground, whether they bear his name or not.

We trust democracy to provide leaders of government that shape the very fabric of our lives, yet we've been conditioned to unquestioningly accept the most feudal of power structures as soon as we set foot inside a school. As long as the power to make life-and-death decisions about the university rests in the hands of boosters and appointees, unpunished mistakes at UM will continue to snowball. The power behind the throne of UM has never been given a public mandate, and they've shown they don't deserve one.

signedbewildered said:

Missoulian guest column

Every Grizzly football game begins with a pledge of allegiance to American democracy, but at the University of Montana the ideal of a community electing its leaders is thrown out in favor of rule by political appointees, unelected bureaucrats and local oligarchs.

Those foaming over the hiring of Bobby Hauck aren't upset because the university community had a vote for head football coach and their candidate lost. They're upset because unelected boosters handpicked a man who inadvertently correlated the University of Montana with rape, driving down enrollment for years and gutting academics. At the behest of Grizzly athletics' private donors, this man was hired by an athletic director appointed by a university president himself appointed by a board of regents appointed by the highest executive official in the state, who actually was chosen by the people.

At no point in UM's saga of football, rape and enrollment has there been any public accountability. The unelected coach Robin Pflugrad was fired by the unelected president Royce Engstrom who was fired by the unelected board of regents. None of these failed public officials ever threw themselves on their swords by resigning, and the chain of appointed offices runs so high that anyone wishing to recall the elected official responsible for the mess would have nowhere to turn but the governor's mansion.

But holding Gov. Steve Bullock responsible for the actions of a football coach four degrees removed from him is inappropriate, especially when major athletic decisions fall to the state oligarchs who ply the Athletic Department with cash. Those critical of UM's administration for building new athletic facilities while laying off professors in the aftermath of an athletic scandal have misplaced the blame. The money for the Washington-Grizzly Champions Center was earmarked specifically for its construction by its donor, the Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation, no matter if the university community thinks it more important to preserve academics.

Likely sensing their brand was tarnished by connotations of rape and degraded academics, the Washington Foundation donated another $10 million in October to expand UM's College of Education, which was adorned with the Washington name in 2009 after a previous donation. There is no doubt the Washington Foundation's money is being put to good use making Montana's top education program even better, but one has to wonder why the only support for education on campus is coming from an aging copper king whitewashing his legacy rather than the legislature elected to invest in the state's future.

Billionaire industrialist Dennis Washington was rich before he bought the Berkeley Pit and adjoining mining rights in Butte, but the copper and molybdenum flowing out of the new Continental Pit made him the richest man in the state. In thanks, Washington gifted UM its first proper bowl stadium, which opened three months after the new open pit mine. Like the university's appointed leaders, Washington will likely never be held accountable for fallout resulting from either of those holes in the ground, whether they bear his name or not.

We trust democracy to provide leaders of government that shape the very fabric of our lives, yet we've been conditioned to unquestioningly accept the most feudal of power structures as soon as we set foot inside a school. As long as the power to make life-and-death decisions about the university rests in the hands of boosters and appointees, unpunished mistakes at UM will continue to snowball. The power behind the throne of UM has never been given a public mandate, and they've shown they don't deserve one.
Was this from the Sunday comic section of the paper? I couldn't stop laughing as I read through it.

signedbewildered said:

Missoulian guest column

So now everything is Dennis Washington's fault, good to know.

Here's hoping the young journalist winds up covering a Power 5 school somewhere that has turned the Athletic Department operations over to a foundation that dwarfs the academic budget of the school. You know, those schools that ensure the football coach is the highest paid employee at the school, the Athletic Director is the second highest paid individual and both basketball coaches salaries make the university president's salary look like a congessional salary...

i thought that was really poorly written.

having said that, don't forget that throughout the post-hauck years, many on here, including greenie and myself, thought the kaimin did a lot better job of being objective about griz football-related issues than the missoulian.

Back