• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lacking Fans/Poor Pre-Game

BadlandsGrizFan said:
GGNez said:
I think what we are experiencing is a total shift. I look back at the 2001 team and that era and I remember Griz football games feeling like Christmas does to a kid. Now...it's still Christmas, but we've changed as individuals and as a society. The physical changes have come year by year - bag searches and lines to get in, the long lines and greater expense all around. Since roughly 2016, people have become ardently divided and less trusting of one another. Rather than excitedly jumping out of bed and eagerly unwrapping packages, we are the Christmas grown-ups now. We have to remember a clear bag, no liquids, give yourself plenty of time to wait in several lines, and plan to spend more money. We are less openly friendly with the genuine comeraderie that came with wearing maroon together. We are more separated now. Then there's Covid. It has deteriorated the collective mental health of society; literally. It is raging at it's worst here in Montana right now. We've been angrily fighting about masks and vaccines, living with fears and uncertaintly. In the past we didn't debate whether we should even be in a crowd, whether we should wear a mask, wonder if people are judging us if we wear one or if we don't, feeling anxiety after the game over the possibility of spreading or catching the virus. Most people are experiencing some sort of financial insecurity, even if it's fear-based or imagined. As with the Griz games, "going out" and doing things just doesn't feel the same.
I'm hopeful that we can either get the fun back into life or forge a new path to a new kind of fun. Go Griz.

This is it right here.

I also feel the best fix for what’s got everyone a little down would be a deep December playoff run hosted in WaGriz. Need to get the life back in the fan base. Also how lucky we are to be discussing this topic while comparatively to other fan bases and experiences were still as good as it gets at this level.

Griz fans are spoiled. Period. One additional thought - the fan base is much older now. Kids and younger people often can’t afford the cost of a game. There is a also more options for watching the game. Streaming didn’t exist ten years ago or it was really difficult.

Apparently, I'm not the only one chanting:
From Newsweek.

U.S.
'F*** Joe Biden' Chant Breaks Out at New York Jets NFL Game
BY EWAN PALMER ON 10/4/21 AT 7:47 AM EDT

Apopular "f**k Joe Biden" chant which has been heard in sports areas, music venues and bars across the country has now been sung at the MetLife stadium in New Jersey.

For the past few weeks, clips of crowds singing the chant against the president have frequently emerged on social media.

On Sunday, the Old Row Twitter account, who have sharing videos of "f**k Joe Biden chants breaking out for the past few weeks, posted another clip of the chant being heard during the New York Jets game against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday.

The account also tweeted smaller chants being sung at unnamed live music venues and outdoor performances on Sunday.

NEWSWEEK NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP >

The chants have previously been heard at a college football game such as the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers game against the Citadel Bulldogs and a Alabama State Hornets match against the Auburn Tigers.

It was also heard at the Ryder Cup as fans celebrated the U.S. team's 19-9 victory over the Europeans on September 25.

On Saturday, NBC Sports reporter Kelli Stavast mistakenly thought the chant, which was heard during a live broadcast, was praising NASCAR driver Brandon Brown following his victory at the Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama.

NEWSWEEK SUBSCRIPTION OFFERS >
While speaking to Stavast about his win, Brown said: "Oh my God, this is just everything we've hoped and dreamed for. Everything I've ever wanted to do is take the trophy home to mom and dad."

Stavast then replies: "Brandon you also told me...As you can hear the chants from the crowd—'Let's go Brandon,'" while pausing to let the "f**k Joe Biden" chant play out.

Stavast then quickly asks another question to Brown after the explicit chant was broadcast.

READ MORE
NBC Reporter Attempts Damage Control as NASCAR Fans Chant 'F*** Joe Biden'
Who Played Joe Biden on 'SNL'? 'Impressive' New Cast Member Revealed
Donald Trump Claims Nobody Has Done More 'for Religion Itself' Than Him
Donald Trump Jr, the eldest son of Donald Trump, who lost the 2020 election to Biden, was one of those who commented on the incident.

"I'm pretty sure they're not chanting 'Let's go Brandon' as the NBC reporter is telling us. What do you hear?," he tweeted along with a #fbj hashtag.

Trump Jr previously cited Biden's withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan and the introduction of a vaccine mandate as reasons for people expressing their disdain with the president so openly and frequently.

"Honestly, it's gotten so bad that the media can't run cover for him anymore," Trump Jr. told the right-wing news outlet The Daily Caller in September.

He added: "Then you look to the border, then you look at inflation and the economy and then the way they talk down to you whether it was what you saw yesterday, Joe Biden, angry screaming at you...the media, even with their best efforts cannot cover up this level of incompetence, this trembling of our basic American and fundamental rights."

fuck joe biden chant
President Joe Biden speaks to the press as he departs the White House in Washington, DC, on October 2, 2021. - Biden is traveling to Wilmington, Delaware, for the weekend. The popular "f**k Joe Biden" chant has now been heard at a New York Jets NFL game.
MANDEL NGAN / AFP/GETTY IMAGES

3-7-77 said:
Apparently, I'm not the only one chanting:
From Newsweek.

U.S.
'F*** Joe Biden' Chant Breaks Out at New York Jets NFL Game
BY EWAN PALMER ON 10/4/21 AT 7:47 AM EDT

Apopular "f**k Joe Biden" chant which has been heard in sports areas, music venues and bars across the country has now been sung at the MetLife stadium in New Jersey.

For the past few weeks, clips of crowds singing the chant against the president have frequently emerged on social media.

On Sunday, the Old Row Twitter account, who have sharing videos of "f**k Joe Biden chants breaking out for the past few weeks, posted another clip of the chant being heard during the New York Jets game against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday.

The account also tweeted smaller chants being sung at unnamed live music venues and outdoor performances on Sunday.

NEWSWEEK NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP >

The chants have previously been heard at a college football game such as the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers game against the Citadel Bulldogs and a Alabama State Hornets match against the Auburn Tigers.

It was also heard at the Ryder Cup as fans celebrated the U.S. team's 19-9 victory over the Europeans on September 25.

On Saturday, NBC Sports reporter Kelli Stavast mistakenly thought the chant, which was heard during a live broadcast, was praising NASCAR driver Brandon Brown following his victory at the Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama.

NEWSWEEK SUBSCRIPTION OFFERS >
While speaking to Stavast about his win, Brown said: "Oh my God, this is just everything we've hoped and dreamed for. Everything I've ever wanted to do is take the trophy home to mom and dad."

Stavast then replies: "Brandon you also told me...As you can hear the chants from the crowd—'Let's go Brandon,'" while pausing to let the "f**k Joe Biden" chant play out.

Stavast then quickly asks another question to Brown after the explicit chant was broadcast.

READ MORE
NBC Reporter Attempts Damage Control as NASCAR Fans Chant 'F*** Joe Biden'
Who Played Joe Biden on 'SNL'? 'Impressive' New Cast Member Revealed
Donald Trump Claims Nobody Has Done More 'for Religion Itself' Than Him
Donald Trump Jr, the eldest son of Donald Trump, who lost the 2020 election to Biden, was one of those who commented on the incident.

"I'm pretty sure they're not chanting 'Let's go Brandon' as the NBC reporter is telling us. What do you hear?," he tweeted along with a #fbj hashtag.

Trump Jr previously cited Biden's withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan and the introduction of a vaccine mandate as reasons for people expressing their disdain with the president so openly and frequently.

"Honestly, it's gotten so bad that the media can't run cover for him anymore," Trump Jr. told the right-wing news outlet The Daily Caller in September.

He added: "Then you look to the border, then you look at inflation and the economy and then the way they talk down to you whether it was what you saw yesterday, Joe Biden, angry screaming at you...the media, even with their best efforts cannot cover up this level of incompetence, this trembling of our basic American and fundamental rights."

[#]f### joe biden chant
President Joe Biden speaks to the press as he departs the White House in Washington, DC, on October 2, 2021. - Biden is traveling to Wilmington, Delaware, for the weekend. The popular "f**k Joe Biden" chant has now been heard at a New York Jets NFL game.
MANDEL NGAN / AFP/GETTY IMAGES
To paraphrase two of the greats Hunter Thompson and Ron Burgundy

With all the class of a half-wit mongoloid choking to death on his own tongue.....you stay classy San Diego.

The Newsweek article perfectly demonstrates the problem - stadium crowds now have a bunch of morons showing up who are more interested in shouting their irrelevant political views at everyone instead of supporting their team. Where did the football fans go?

UnderratedWalrus said:
The Newsweek article perfectly demonstrates the problem - stadium crowds now have a bunch of morons showing up who are more interested in shouting their irrelevant political views at everyone instead of supporting their team. Where did the football fans go?

So let me get this right, only your view and opinion is correct. Everyone else who does not align with you is a moron and is irrelevant.

Anyone who berates the current president in favor of the criminal trump is a moron . And today's performance by the griz was equally embarrassing.

GGNez said:
I think what we are experiencing is a total shift. I look back at the 2001 team and that era and I remember Griz football games feeling like Christmas does to a kid. Now...it's still Christmas, but we've changed as individuals and as a society. The physical changes have come year by year - bag searches and lines to get in, the long lines and greater expense all around. Since roughly 2016, people have become ardently divided and less trusting of one another. Rather than excitedly jumping out of bed and eagerly unwrapping packages, we are the Christmas grown-ups now. We have to remember a clear bag, no liquids, give yourself plenty of time to wait in several lines, and plan to spend more money. We are less openly friendly with the genuine comeraderie that came with wearing maroon together. We are more separated now. Then there's Covid. It has deteriorated the collective mental health of society; literally. It is raging at it's worst here in Montana right now. We've been angrily fighting about masks and vaccines, living with fears and uncertaintly. In the past we didn't debate whether we should even be in a crowd, whether we should wear a mask, wonder if people are judging us if we wear one or if we don't, feeling anxiety after the game over the possibility of spreading or catching the virus. Most people are experiencing some sort of financial insecurity, even if it's fear-based or imagined. As with the Griz games, "going out" and doing things just doesn't feel the same.
I'm hopeful that we can either get the fun back into life or forge a new path to a new kind of fun. Go Griz.

Totally on point, and said another way... 'Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot.’
Griz Football 1995-2009

GGNez said:

Well put!

grizzlygrumpa said:
Anyone who berates the current president in favor of the criminal trump is a moron . And today's performance by the griz was equally embarrassing.

You prove my point from a earlier post. If you disagree with someone you resort to name calling and innuendo. Show me the evidence Trump is a criminal. You called me a moron, you don't know me, you just want to attack because you disagree with me. Apparently you have no evidence to backup your accusations.

futuregrizer said:
UnderratedWalrus said:

So let me get this right, only your view and opinion is correct. Everyone else who does not align with you is a moron and is irrelevant.

Nah, it's fine if you disagree, that's why we're here in a spicy eGriz topic. To elaborate on my point, I just don't like how we're allowing politics to take over an event that used to stand for a shared sense of community, and yeah I do think the people working to accelerate that are morons. Chanting "F**k Trump" during a game would have been equally moronic and irrelevant during the past few years. It's football. We're on the same team. Support the damn team. Unless Biden or Trump are actually sitting in the stands, using this as a platform to yell at them is silly and pointless.

futuregrizer said:
grizzlygrumpa said:

You prove my point from a earlier post. If you disagree with someone you resort to name calling and innuendo. Show me the evidence Trump is a criminal. You called me a moron, you don't know me, you just want to attack because you disagree with me. Apparently you have no evidence to backup your accusations.

Trump may not be a criminal, as he has not been convicted of anything. But he is certainly a grifter and the sorest loser in the history of American politics.

futuregrizer said:
grizzlygrumpa said:

Was that you I saw in the Buffalo Bills #32 jersey today? 😂

At the 4 minute mark of the 4th quarter of today’s game, in section 105 (35-40 yard line) west side stadium, I witnessed an altercation that grew into quite an embarrassing scene. It started because two ladies began yelling at each other. A blonde gal had been yelling “Fu”” Joe Biden “ several times throughout the game. Another gal who had grown tired of it told her to shut up and watch the game. F bombs followed and grew into 7-8 people yelling , swearing, and eventually pushing and hitting each other. It took many on lookers to subdue the unruly until security finally arrived and took all involved out of stadium.
Terrible way to end a football Saturday at WGS.
I was worried for the many older Griz fans who regularly sit in this section as they were being pushed, shoved and knocked over their seats during this horrible display.
I have sat in the same seats at WGS for 20 years
And have never seen anything like it. I might add, I did not recognize any of the people involved in the Squirmish as they were not regulars to this section.
No comment on anyone’s political views, but for Gods sake, can’t we escape our divisions for several hours on a beautiful Football Saturday?
Go Griz!

GottaluvGriz said:
At the 4 minute mark of the 4th quarter of today’s game, in section 105 (35-40 yard line) west side stadium, I witnessed an altercation that grew into quite an embarrassing scene. It started because two ladies began yelling at each other. A blonde gal had been yelling “Fu”” Joe Biden “ several times throughout the game. Another gal who had grown tired of it told her to shut up and watch the game. F bombs followed and grew into 7-8 people yelling , swearing, and eventually pushing and hitting each other. It took many on lookers to subdue the unruly until security finally arrived and took all involved out of stadium.
I was worried for the many older Griz fans who regularly sit in this section as they were being pushed, shoved and knocked over their seats during this horrible display.
And have never seen anything like it. I might add, I did not recognize any of the people involved in the Squirmish as they were not regulars to this section.
No comment on anyone’s political views, but for Gods sake, can’t we escape our divisions for several hours on a beautiful Football Saturday?
Go Griz!

Yikes. I’m so sorry you had to experience this on game day. This exemplifies exactly what I alluded to in my post; we are uneasy, angry, on edge and divided. I recall writing an Op Ed back in 2001 about Grizzly football. Specifically, I addressed the divisive nature of politics since 9/11, and how WGS on game day was an escape from that. We were one. For a few hours, Griz Nation rooted for the same team and shared one voice.
It’s not at all like that now. We are wounded more deeply by political division and angrier than ever before. It’s very sad.

GGNez said:
GottaluvGriz said:
Go Griz!

Yikes. I’m so sorry you had to experience this on game day. This exemplifies exactly what I alluded to in my post; we are uneasy, angry, on edge and divided. I recall writing an Op Ed back in 2001 about Grizzly football. Specifically, I addressed the divisive nature of politics since 9/11, and how WGS on game day was an escape from that. We were one. For a few hours, Griz Nation rooted for the same team and shared one voice.
It’s not at all like that now. We are wounded more deeply by political division and angrier than ever before. It’s very sad.
:thumb: :cry:

GottaluvGriz said:
Go Griz!
THAT'S what started it? 😲

BigSkyConfFan said:
GottaluvGriz said:
Go Griz!
THAT'S what started it? 😲

Sadly, I believe so. The two gals were to my left about 8 seats so I heard most everything being yelled at each other. They were separated by 4 rows in between. The fighting happened one row above me to my left. I’m not sure if any of the males that were involved were acquainted to either of the two gals but I’m confident that it all started because of the chant and the subsequent foul mouthed yelling by the two gals.

mtgriz said:
GGNez said:

Totally on point, and said another way... 'Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot.’
Griz Football 1995-2009

Brought a buddy to the game from Texas. Had this EXACT conversation with him over breakfast at the Press Box. We (Griz fans) developed a sense of entitlement after the ‘95 NC and the incredible run of the 2000’s. I attended the 2009 NC game and if you’d told me that would be the LAST one for the next 12 years I’d have said you were crazy.

And i agree 100% with Walrus. While the “Fuck Joe Biden” chant was funny once, bringing that shit to a ball game, that’s supposed to be an ESCAPE from all the shit going on around us, is just stupid. Problem is, once sports in general cracked the door open by allowing all the BLM stuff and political stances to be on full display it’s been all downhill ever since (WRT politics invading sports).

AZGrizFan said:
mtgriz said:
Griz Football 1995-2009

Brought a buddy to the game from Texas. Had this EXACT conversation with him over breakfast at the Press Box. We (Griz fans) developed a sense of entitlement after the ‘95 NC and the incredible run of the 2000’s. I attended the 2009 NC game and if you’d told me that would be the LAST one for the next 12 years I’d have said you were crazy.

And i agree 100% with Walrus. While the “[#]f### Joe Biden” chant was funny once, bringing that shit to a ball game, that’s supposed to be an ESCAPE from all the shit going on around us, is just stupid. Problem is, once sports in general cracked the door open by allowing all the BLM stuff and political stances to be on full display it’s been all downhill ever since (WRT politics invading sports).

I'd say once Trump cracked open the door by acting like a middle school kid crudely denigrating anyone he didn't like or disagreed with on a daily basis on his abominable Twitter feed, his cult of followers felt empowered to do the same everywhere- and that behavior sadly continues to this day. But there are "good people on both sides" right??

Back