• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lacking Fans/Poor Pre-Game

CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:
Isn't this analogous to a 35 year old saying, "I don't have enough money to retire now, so it'll never happen"?

While we may not have that opportunity right this very moment, we better damn well start planning for it, because it will come. And if you don't support a move to the FBS, quit bitching about gameday atmosphere in games against awful, uninspiring opponents, which is currently about 80% of them.

I really try not to get too negative about UM because I love the place and always will. That said, if history is any indication, we will likely be caught thumbing our buttholes when the time comes because "we've been FCS/I-AA for years and it worked just fine." Some might even make a decent argument that we're already in that position now. Many of our national peer programs have already left us behind. The "we've always done it this way" mindset can be infuriating at times.

Agree about the gameday complaints coupled with "stay put because meaningless bowls" attitude is a bit of a paradox. Dixie State, North Alabama, CWU, Monmouth, wow. Imagine MSU fans. Drake and USD this season. They aren't exactly "get me on an airplane" matchups.

I too love UM, Missoula and the special college environment of the community. Members of my family have been associated with UM since the 30s. One was a student of Mike Mansfield. UM deserves much better than the Big Sky Conference and FCS. I believe the opportunity to change is now as we have a bright forward thinking president with Bodnar. He is aware that moving to the FBS will not only improve the quality of our athletic department, but UM itself. We will always have the naysayers, those that hang their hats on the playoffs and a chance to go to Frisco, but these people are few and a good percentage of them didn’t graduate from UM. Today, another poster mentioned that our FCS status contributes to a negative perception in other sports, such as basketball. Many people believe UM is a Division 2 school. I don’t think that is healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Not sure things like this help the University in the whole grand scheme of things.

http://www.montanakaimin.com/features/ethically-bankrupt-blog/article_e652a6b8-2892-11ec-bf62-3b2f56e19994.html

HelenaHandBasket said:
Not sure things like this help the University in the whole grand scheme of things.

http://www.montanakaimin.com/features/ethically-bankrupt-blog/article_e652a6b8-2892-11ec-bf62-3b2f56e19994.html

Oh my! I would think not as well! :shock:

Spanky2 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I really try not to get too negative about UM because I love the place and always will. That said, if history is any indication, we will likely be caught thumbing our buttholes when the time comes because "we've been FCS/I-AA for years and it worked just fine." Some might even make a decent argument that we're already in that position now. Many of our national peer programs have already left us behind. The "we've always done it this way" mindset can be infuriating at times.

Agree about the gameday complaints coupled with "stay put because meaningless bowls" attitude is a bit of a paradox. Dixie State, North Alabama, CWU, Monmouth, wow. Imagine MSU fans. Drake and USD this season. They aren't exactly "get me on an airplane" matchups.
I believe the opportunity to change is now as we have a bright forward thinking president with Bodnar.
OK, can you tell us more about that opportunity? I'm all for it.

HelenaHandBasket said:

Depends how they handle it, I guess. The University won’t be held responsible for the insane ramblings of a faculty member. But they will and should be held responsible if they don’t properly condemn it.

Spanky2 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I too love UM, Missoula and the special college environment of the community. Members of my family have been associated with UM since the 30s. One was a student of Mike Mansfield. UM deserves much better than the Big Sky Conference and FCS. I believe the opportunity to change is now as we have a bright forward thinking president with Bodnar. He is aware that moving to the FBS will not only improve the quality of our athletic department, but UM itself. We will always have the naysayers, those that hang their hats on the playoffs and a chance to go to Frisco, but these people are few and a good percentage of them didn’t graduate from UM. Today, another poster mentioned that our FCS status contributes to a negative perception in other sports, such as basketball. Many people believe UM is a Division 2 school. I don’t think that is healthy by any stretch of the imagination.
Not doubting that he said this, but where is this information coming from? I just don't recall him addressing this.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Depends how they handle it, I guess. The University won’t be held responsible for the insane ramblings of a faculty member. But they will and should be held responsible if they don’t properly condemn it.
There is one thing he wrote that is true, neither insane nor rambling. It's a growing problem at most US universities:

“We now live in a world where censorship of ideas leads to unprecedented homogeneity of thought. Diversity of ideas provides potential value when reality changes or turns out to be different than we thought. When we suppress ideas different than what we already believe, we not only limit what we can become to what we already are, we make ourselves unnecessarily vulnerable to unanticipated challenges,” Smith writes in this post.

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:
There is one thing he wrote that is true, neither insane nor rambling. It's a growing problem at most US universities:

“We now live in a world where censorship of ideas leads to unprecedented homogeneity of thought. Diversity of ideas provides potential value when reality changes or turns out to be different than we thought. When we suppress ideas different than what we already believe, we not only limit what we can become to what we already are, we make ourselves unnecessarily vulnerable to unanticipated challenges,” Smith writes in this post.

Says the guy who wants to censor any thought/speech with a leftist bent.

Okay, mods, send this one to the political board thanks to Kem. Again.

Diversity of ideas is fine, but I'm more into diversity of tacos. Too often, people stick to just one kind, and it's usually ground beef (which they often refer to as "hamburger meat") on a hard shell. Branch out. Be open to new tacos. Fish, chicken, shrimp, asada, al pastor, tongue, tripe, carnitas, duck, cat, turtle, armadillo, squirrel, PB&J, tires, nails, etc. Having just one kind of taco stifles critical thought and creativity. Have fun. Make a day of it.

We ain't moving up anytime soon! Now then kids! I think we all agree our Pre-game is in need of repair! What can we do to fix it! Pro-actively! One person said we needed to contact the Marketing person, I did this, will you too?

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

How they handle it will help control the damage, but it will not undo it all.

EverettGriz said:
kemajic said:

It wasn't me who dug up this guy and his blog irrelevant to the thread. I posted but one tidbit from a previously posted link, it seems to have struck a nerve with you. I've never once suggested censorship of anything; find it, lefty. Challenging your Left Coast stuff is not censorship; it's free speech. One doesn't have to look far to find conservative speech suppressed, sometimes violently, on campuses across the country.

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:

It wasn't me who dug up this guy and his blog irrelevant to the thread. I posted but one tidbit from a previously posted link, it seems to have struck a nerve with you. I've never once suggested censorship of anything; find it, lefty. Challenging your Left Coast stuff is not censorship; it's free speech. One doesn't have to look far to find conservative speech suppressed, sometimes violently, on campuses across the country.

Ah. I think it's clear to me now. Questioning conservative thought is "cancel culture", whatever the fuck that is. Questioning liberal thought is free speech. Got it. :roll:

EverettGriz said:
kemajic said:

Ah. I think it's clear to me now. Questioning conservative thought is "cancel culture", whatever the [#]f### that is. Questioning liberal thought is free speech. Got it. :roll:
It's not about "questioning" conservative thought, it's about removing it, removing its speakers from campuses, sometimes violently. That is suppression, not free speech. Any example of that happening to liberal speech or speakers on campuses? Didn't think so.

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:
Ah. I think it's clear to me now. Questioning conservative thought is "cancel culture", whatever the [#]f### that is. Questioning liberal thought is free speech. Got it. :roll:
It's not about "questioning" conservative thought, it's about removing it, removing its speakers from campuses, sometimes violently. That is suppression, not free speech. Any example of that happening to liberal speech or speakers on campuses? Didn't think so.
We no longer have free speech, we have approved political speech which includes the right to not be offended by unapproved speech.

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:

It happens. I found a few links. Provided free of context:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...-speech/thwarting-speech-on-college-campuses/

https://medium.com/informed-and-eng...y-frequently-target-the-same-few-bda3105ad347

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...iversities-run-counter-narrative-about-campus

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:

It happens. I found a few links. Provided free of context:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...-speech/thwarting-speech-on-college-campuses/

https://medium.com/informed-and-eng...y-frequently-target-the-same-few-bda3105ad347

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...iversities-run-counter-narrative-about-campus

Those links got me Rick-rolled, all of them.

SaskGriz said:
Spanky2 said:
Not doubting that he said this, but where is this information coming from? I just don't recall him addressing this.
In the Southeast, where I mostly live, I have never heard UM considered a Div 2 school. In fact, whenever people ask me where I am from, and they do it nicely here, I say Montana and almost inevitably the response is "the GRIZ"! Maybe it is due to so many FCS schools here, but Montana is considered a powerhouse in the division. I have never heard the words "Eastern Washington", Montana State, or even Weber State used here. But people know who UM is and what it is, and respect is shown.

GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:
In the Southeast, where I mostly live, I have never heard UM considered a Div 2 school. In fact, whenever people ask me where I am from, and they do it nicely here, I say Montana and almost inevitably the response is "the GRIZ"! Maybe it is due to so many FCS schools here, but Montana is considered a powerhouse in the division. I have never heard the words "Eastern Washington", Montana State, or even Weber State used here. But people know who UM is and what it is, and respect is shown.

That’s cool to hear. Do you ever hear from Coastal Carolina fans wishing they would move back down to FCS?

CDAGRIZ said:
GrizLA said:

That’s cool to hear. Do you ever hear from Coastal Carolina fans wishing they would move back down to FCS?
You would be surprised to know that most Carolinians see Coastal as the "safe school' for those who could not get into a traditional state school. It is a party place and the attendance at games is poor. I went to one game last year and if you think UM has a dismal game day pregame environment, you are nuts! A game in Missoula is like a Vegas revue compared to Coastal with attendance weak at best.

Back