• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Recruiting

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
I believe they are in a quiet period right now so of course recruiting announcements would be lacking. In his conversation with Riley he said they will have some good announcements coming up.

The Covid quiet period prevents in-person visits involving recruits. Can’t imagine that it prohibits announcement. I assume coaches want to visit in-person with recruits, and recruits want to visit campus and meet the team.

The quiet period obviously didn’t stop the first recruit announcement.

What I mean is between shutdown periods, dead periods, quiet periods, etc....I wouldn’t expect a lot of action. Holsinger was hired APRIL 13 during a dead period. May 3-9 was a recruiting shutdown (no recruiting at all permitted). So he hasn’t had a lot of opportunities in my opinion to truly recruit anyone yet. I think it was amazing when he landed the German girl so quickly. In his talk with Riley, he said announcements will be coming soon after some of these recruiting periods so I’m guessing some gals are already lined up.

Dead period and recruiting shutdowns: During the dead period, coaches may not have any in-person contact with recruits or their parents. But communication is still allowed to occur via phone, email and social media or other digital communication channels. A recruiting shutdown, on the other hand, means no forms of recruiting are permitted, including contact with college coaches, evaluations, unofficial or official visits, correspondence and making or receiving phone calls.

August 10–14, 2020: Recruiting shutdown
November 9–12, 2020: Dead period
December 24–26, 2020: Dead period
April 1–15, 2021: Dead period
May 3–9, 2021: Recruiting shutdown
July 13–20, 2021: Dead period

As I said: "During the dead period, coaches may not have any in-person contact with recruits or their parents. But communication is still allowed to occur via phone, email and social media or other digital communication channels."

Do the rules you posted apply to the transfer portal?

I see nothing in what you posted that doesn't allow announcements of new recruits now, and during all but a few days, since he was hired.

By the way, I there's been a special covid dead period for months. It ends on June 1. So, noting you posted was accurate.

You are making excuses that appear to have zero basis in fact.

OregonStateFan said:
While Katie Faulkner was always recognized as the best recruiter for Oregon State (and rightfully so), Holsinger was very good in his own right.

He was the lead recruiter for Sasha Goforth, a 2020 recruit from Arkansas, who was a consensus top-25 recruit and one of the top freshmen in the PAC-12 this season. She decided to transfer closer to home this season.

He was also the lead recruiter for two of our 2020 commits - Raegan Beers and Adlee Blacklock. Beers is currently ranked as the #10 player in the nation and Blacklock’s final two schools were Baylor and Oregon State.

I would suspect Brian will be able to put together a solid 2022 class and hopefully he’ll be able to get some kids on campus in June. Marya Hudgins would be a good start.

Thanks for the post OregonStateFan. I know there are a lot of fans anxious to know what is going on with recruiting and to learn of any new commitments. When you have someone that you are not familiar with its refreshing to get any information and I appreciate your input regarding Brian.

PlayerRep said:
As I said: "During the dead period, coaches may not have any in-person contact with recruits or their parents. But communication is still allowed to occur via phone, email and social media or other digital communication channels."

I see nothing in what you posted that doesn't allow announcements of new recruits now, and during all but a few days, since he was hired.

By the way, I there's been a special covid dead period for months. It ends on June 1. So, noting you posted was accurate.

So you seem to think it’s easy to recruit during a dead period or during a period where you can’t bring the athletes to campus? Are you implying that because he can still talk to kids on the phone or through social media he should magically have 3-4 more girls he should have announced by now? That’s what it sounds like you are implying which I think is crazy high expectations. Just relax a little bit and let’s see who he lands. Even you may be happy. Well that’s asking a lot.

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

So you seem to think it’s easy to recruit during a dead period or during a period where you can’t bring the athletes to campus? Are you implying that because he can still talk to kids on the phone or through social media he should magically have 3-4 more girls he should have announced by now? That’s what it sounds like you are implying which I think is crazy high expectations. Just relax a little bit and let’s see who he lands. Even you may be happy. Well that’s asking a lot.

All I'm trying to do is correct your misstatements and get the right recruiting facts into the thread. Why don't you relax a bit and read what I say instead of jumping to conclusion.

What will make me happy is if the players who got cut get good opportunities if they want to continue to play, and the players still on the roster are treated fairly. The new coach can do what he wants to do. I'm moved from fan to no longer a fan and to coach-critic.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

All I'm trying to do is correct your misstatements and get the right recruiting facts into the thread. Why don't you relax a bit and read what I say instead of jumping to conclusion.

What will make me happy is if the players who got cut get good opportunities if they want to continue to play, and the players still on the roster are treated fairly. The new coach can do what he wants to do. I'm moved from fan to no longer a fan and to coach-critic.
I can understand not liking how things transpired and being a coach critic, but moving on from being a fan?

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I read what PR "says" and then start my deciphering........."If" (I?....do you ever think of anything but "I") there's been a special covid dead period for months it ends June 1. (one sentence). So, nothing (not noting...what the hell is "I" "noting" now?) you posted was accurate."

Do you ever write accurately? Please don't volunteer to help with recruiting correspondence! Parents will laugh off UM!

retiredpopo said:
PlayerRep said:

I can understand not liking how things transpired and being a coach critic, but moving on from being a fan?

I have my views of what sport should be, including principles regarding how programs should be run. I like the Ivy and FCS models better than FBS. Less corruption and less undue influence on the university and its academic side.
Having a new coach, and allowing a new coach, who cuts 6 women in the first week at a school like UM, via zoom, and without ever seeing them play or practice, or meeting them, appears to be unprecedented at this level and is not my view of sport or UM women's basketball. UM is not a win-at-all-costs school, like some schools are. There are various ways to build and re-build a program. This isn't a way I find acceptable, and I won't support it. The guy has a 4-year contract, so there is no pressure to go to the top of the conference the first year. I have others things I can and want to do at this point of my life, and attending LG games and providing support will no longer be one of them.

As an aside, I wonder what type of person takes such quick and drastic action like this. Will he treat the remaining players well, and not prefer "his" recruits over them? I hope the remaining players end up loving the new coach, but I wonder. I wonder how high school parents and players will react to the coach saying, come to UM, we will take good care of your daughter (unless she doesn't turn out to be as good as we think, in which case we may dump her and look for someone better and more advanced). I would think long and hard about sending my kid to a coach/program who has just done what this guy did.

PlayerRep said:
retiredpopo said:

I have my views of what sport should be, including principles regarding how programs should be run. I like the Ivy and FCS models better than FBS. Less corruption and less undue influence on the university and its academic side.
Having a new coach, and allowing a new coach, who cuts 6 women in the first week at a school like UM, via zoom, and without ever seeing them play or practice, or meeting them, appears to be unprecedented at this level and is not my view of sport or UM women's basketball. UM is not a win-at-all-costs school, like some schools are. There are various ways to build and re-build a program. This isn't a way I find acceptable, and I won't support it. The guy has a 4-year contract, so there is no pressure to go to the top of the conference the first year. I have others things I can and want to do at this point of my life, and attending LG games and providing support will no longer be one of them.

As an aside, I wonder what type of person takes such quick and drastic action like this. Will he treat the remaining players well, and not prefer "his" recruits over them? I hope the remaining players end up loving the new coach, but I wonder. I wonder how high school parents and players will react to the coach saying, come to UM, we will take good care of your daughter (unless she doesn't turn out to be as good as we think, in which case we may dump her and look for someone better and more advanced). I would think long and hard about sending my kid to a coach/program who has just done what this guy did.

Blah...Blah...Blah...Nobody cares whether you're a fan or not. Honestly who do you think you are? I think you imagine that you have some sort of clout in the program. You aren't Denny Washington dude. When you leave, the program moves on without you as if you were never there in the first place. That is a fact! Thanks for the numerous unwarranted announcement/explanations though.

I cannot believe you are still grinding this ridiculous axe weeks later. This obsession is getting weird even for you and that is saying A LOT!

First there is the illusion, then there is the reality. In PR’s on words, “I have my own views on what sports should be, including principles regarding how programs should be run”. That would be the illusion. The reality is that today with the upheaval in attendance, program cuts, tenured professors and other issues plaguing not only the U of M but universities nationwide. Sports has become a revenue neutral or a plus on the revenue side. Those that are not in the black face significant cutbacks including conference downgrades, i.e. Eastern Washington. The days of deficits in athletics is unfortunately going the way of the Edsel. One could blame it on the prevailing political climate in our universities or just the changing times. I could go on and on but in the spirit of brevity I’ll let sleeping dogs lie. We are fortunate at Montana in that we have a strong alumni base that is willing to open there pocket books to help support athletics but an extremely strong fan base. Not many schools have that luxury.
But back to the original thread, recruiting. Brian should be given the opportunity to put his brand on the lady Griz. He has 4 years to turn the program around. I’m sure he didn’t just look at some film and make his decision, he would have talked to many people including current and former players.
If, and hopefully when Brian returns the ladies to the top tier of the conference today’s critics will again buy season tickets and root on all the Grizzly teams. All things considered we are in a good place.

Sport said:
First there is the illusion, then there is the reality. In PR’s on words, “I have my own views on what sports should be, including principles regarding how programs should be run”. That would be the illusion. The reality is that today with the upheaval in attendance, program cuts, tenured professors and other issues plaguing not only the U of M but universities nationwide. Sports has become a revenue neutral or a plus on the revenue side. Those that are not in the black face significant cutbacks including conference downgrades, i.e. Eastern Washington. The days of deficits in athletics is unfortunately going the way of the Edsel. One could blame it on the prevailing political climate in our universities or just the changing times. I could go on and on but in the spirit of brevity I’ll let sleeping dogs lie. We are fortunate at Montana in that we have a strong alumni base that is willing to open there pocket books to help support athletics but an extremely strong fan base. Not many schools have that luxury.
But back to the original thread, recruiting. Brian should be given the opportunity to put his brand on the lady Griz. He has 4 years to turn the program around. I’m sure he didn’t just look at some film and make his decision, he would have talked to many people including current and former players.
If, and hopefully when Brian returns the ladies to the top tier of the conference today’s critics will again buy season tickets and root on all the Grizzly teams. All things considered we are in a good place.

There is no illusion to what I said. It is my view. What the new coach did appears to be unprecedented in women's basketball at UM's level. If you think UM is going to be a better school by having a new coach do that to a program, have at it.

UM Athletics is hardly a money-making proposition or program. It's heavily subsidized the State and the students.

No one has said the new coach couldn't put his brand on the program, but there is good ways and bad ways, in my view.

The new coach had not even met the players in person, to my knowledge. Had some group zooms. As of less than 48 hours before the cuts, he hadn't talked to one of the returning starters nor the Schweyens about personnel or anything individual. I talked to them. Do you really think a new coach comes in and starts asking the team about personnel? Those women are friends. That would be highly inappropriate, in my view. Did he talk substantively to Jordan, whom he had just met? I sure hope he didn't put her in position to get blamed by the players. Did he really go through tape looking for snippets on the 3 frosh who were cut?

PlayerRep said:
retiredpopo said:

UM absolutely is a win at all costs school, as is every division one program in the country. You think they are paying coaches 6 figures to not do everything they can to win? What happens when a coach doesn’t win? Do they keep their job simply because they didn’t cut 6 players? No......Harlem hires coaches with the goal of winning in mind. If said coach feels the need to cut 6 bench warmers from a terrible team, so be it.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

UM absolutely is a win at all costs school, as is every division one program in the country. You think they are paying coaches 6 figures to not do everything they can to win? What happens when a coach doesn’t win? Do they keep their job simply because they didn’t cut 6 players? No......Harlem hires coaches with the goal of winning in mind. If said coach feels the need to cut 6 bench warmers from a terrible team, so be it.

UM is not a win-at-all costs school. I've talked to Bodnar and various members of the board of regents about the subject. Every D-I school is not win-at-all costs. Harlem? What are you talking about?

Again, find us some examples of a new woman's basketball coach cutting six players in the first week. What the new coach did was extreme and apparently unprecedented. It was also unnecessary, in my view.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

UM is not a win-at-all costs school. I've talked to Bodnar and various members of the board of regents about the subject. Every D-I school is not win-at-all costs. Harlem? What are you talking about?

Again, find us some examples of a new woman's basketball coach cutting six players in the first week. What the new coach did was extreme and apparently unprecedented. It was also unnecessary, in my view.

Haslem. It autocorrected. If you’d like to be a fan of a shitty athletic program, just go be a fan of Idaho. If you also don’t think the ultimate goal of a D-1 athletic program is to win and make money, you are out of touch. It’s not 5th grade basketball, and if a player doesn’t perform, they can be asked to leave. Please, just stop complaining.

To think that the new coach made the cut decisions without input from current staff, former players etc is silly at best. There is no way I will ever believe that he made the cuts by just watching some tape.--give the guy some credit. PR to make you happy Karsen Murphy has officially signed with UT Chattanooga, now posed on their website..

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

Haslem. It autocorrected. If you’d like to be a fan of a shitty athletic program, just go be a fan of Idaho. If you also don’t think the ultimate goal of a D-1 athletic program is to win and make money, you are out of touch. It’s not 5th grade basketball, and if a player doesn’t perform, they can be asked to leave. Please, just stop complaining.

Do you really not know the difference between the goal of winning, and win at all costs? You are an idiot. You don’t understand UM sports. Another never played the gamer with a big mouth.

Griz66 said:
To think that the new coach made the cut decisions without input from current staff, former players etc is silly at best. There is no way I will ever believe that he made the cuts by just watching some tape.--give the guy some credit. PR to make you happy Karsen Murphy has officially signed with UT Chattanooga, now posed on their website..

I assume he talked to Redpath at a minimum. Not sure how he would get much input from the old staff other than Jordan. Good for Murphy. That’s sure not evidence she was an NAIA level player.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

Do you really not know the difference between the goal of winning, and win at all costs? You are an idiot. You don’t understand UM sports. Another never played the gamer with a big mouth.
You can’t just half assed say “we WANT to win”. You, as a program have to make the steps and ACTIONS to win. That starts with the head coach. I absolutely love what he did. You come in as a coach, and don’t settle for keeping the same roster that accomplished nothing the year before. You immediately make a signing you were in contact with at OSU. Those quick moves to me, signal a guy who wants to win. PR, you can claim you want to win, but if you’re really this pissed about 6 non factors leaving the roster, it’s pretty obvious you don’t.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
You can’t just half assed say “we WANT to win”. You, as a program have to make the steps and ACTIONS to win. That starts with the head coach. I absolutely love what he did. You come in as a coach, and don’t settle for keeping the same roster that accomplished nothing the year before. You immediately make a signing you were in contact with at OSU. Those quick moves to me, signal a guy who wants to win. PR, you can claim you want to win, but if you’re really this pissed about 6 non factors leaving the roster, it’s pretty obvious you don’t.

You don't need to cut 6 scholarship players in the first week, without even meeting them or properly evaluating them. In fact, it appears that no women's coach at this level has done that in the history of ncaa basketball. Especially a new coach with a 4-year contact. You talk like the only way to win and improve is by taking the most drastic action that any new coach has taken. There are other ways to success and building a strong program.

The roster did fact accomplish plenty last year, just didn't finish. Had lost 2 good players who would have been starters. Two new strong frosh recruited for next year. You further bash the players who were cut by calling them NAIA level. The first one to find a new home signed with a D-I school.

I know a lot about winning. I played 2 college varsity sports, one of which was an undefeated champion. I also played rugby, in college and into my 50s. There are 16 or 18 coaches in my wife's and my family, one of whom was a college basketball head coach for almost 20 years. Some are in the basketball halls of fame at their colleges. Some in the MT coaches hall of fame. They have more wins than you have points from your intramural basketball.

You are just an internet guy who never played sports at any high level. I can see it in the (dumb) things you say in your post. You bash the team and the players constantly. You're a jerk. And you neither understand sport or Griz basketball. UM is not a win-at-all-cost school. It's not even close to that. Ask Bodnar. Ask the Regents. Heck, ask Haslam. Even he wouldn't say that.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

You don't need to cut 6 scholarship players in the first week, without even meeting them or properly evaluating them. In fact, it appears that no women's coach at this level has done that in the history of ncaa basketball. Especially a new coach with a 4-year contact. You talk like the only way to win and improve is by taking the most drastic action that any new coach has taken. There are other ways to success and building a strong program.

The roster did fact accomplish plenty last year, just didn't finish. Had lost 2 good players who would have been starters. Two new strong frosh recruited for next year. You further bash the players who were cut by calling them NAIA level. The first one to find a new home signed with a D-I school.

I know a lot about winning. I played 2 college varsity sports, one of which was an undefeated champion. I also played rugby, in college and into my 50s. There are 16 or 18 coaches in my wife's and my family, one of whom was a college basketball head coach for almost 20 years. Some are in the basketball halls of fame at their colleges. Some in the MT coaches hall of fame. They have more wins than you have points from your intramural basketball.

You are just an internet guy who never played sports at any high level. I can see it in the (dumb) things you say in your post. You bash the team and the players constantly. You're a jerk. And you neither understand sport or Griz basketball. UM is not a win-at-all-cost school. It's not even close to that. Ask Bodnar. Ask the Regents. Heck, ask Haslam. Even he wouldn't say that.
You don’t even know me? Just making dumbass assumptions. I really don’t give a shit about what you did decades ago. Simple fact is all the evaluation this coach needed was they didn’t contribute for a bad team. Not sure how any of them landed at any D-1, considering they have no impressive resume and have never contributed to anything. Yes, the SoCon may be slightly worse than the Big Sky womens basketball wise, but it’s still a weird signing that likely won’t amount to much for UT-Chattanooga. If you want to watch a team sign exclusively local talent and lose games, look for it somewhere else.

Back