• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Recruiting

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
You don't need to cut 6 scholarship players in the first week, without even meeting them or properly evaluating them. In fact, it appears that no women's coach at this level has done that in the history of ncaa basketball. Especially a new coach with a 4-year contact. You talk like the only way to win and improve is by taking the most drastic action that any new coach has taken. There are other ways to success and building a strong program.

The roster did fact accomplish plenty last year, just didn't finish. Had lost 2 good players who would have been starters. Two new strong frosh recruited for next year. You further bash the players who were cut by calling them NAIA level. The first one to find a new home signed with a D-I school.

I know a lot about winning. I played 2 college varsity sports, one of which was an undefeated champion. I also played rugby, in college and into my 50s. There are 16 or 18 coaches in my wife's and my family, one of whom was a college basketball head coach for almost 20 years. Some are in the basketball halls of fame at their colleges. Some in the MT coaches hall of fame. They have more wins than you have points from your intramural basketball.

You are just an internet guy who never played sports at any high level. I can see it in the (dumb) things you say in your post. You bash the team and the players constantly. You're a jerk. And you neither understand sport or Griz basketball. UM is not a win-at-all-cost school. It's not even close to that. Ask Bodnar. Ask the Regents. Heck, ask Haslam. Even he wouldn't say that.
You don’t even know me? Just making dumbass assumptions. I really don’t give a shit about what you did decades ago. Simple fact is all the evaluation this coach needed was they didn’t contribute for a bad team. Not sure how any of them landed at any D-1, considering they have no impressive resume and have never contributed to anything. Yes, the SoCon may be slightly worse than the Big Sky womens basketball wise, but it’s still a weird signing that likely won’t amount to much for UT-Chattanooga. If you want to watch a team sign exclusively local talent and lose games, look for it somewhere else.

As I said, I can see your lack of knowledge of the game in your posts. Most knowledgeable athletes and coaches wouldn't say some of the stuff you say in your posts. Dead giveaway. You just spend time looking up stuff on the internet.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:
You don’t even know me? Just making dumbass assumptions. I really don’t give a shit about what you did decades ago. Simple fact is all the evaluation this coach needed was they didn’t contribute for a bad team. Not sure how any of them landed at any D-1, considering they have no impressive resume and have never contributed to anything. Yes, the SoCon may be slightly worse than the Big Sky womens basketball wise, but it’s still a weird signing that likely won’t amount to much for UT-Chattanooga. If you want to watch a team sign exclusively local talent and lose games, look for it somewhere else.

As I said, I can see your lack of knowledge of the game in your posts. Most knowledgeable athletes and coaches wouldn't say some of the stuff you say in your posts. Dead giveaway. You just spend time looking up stuff on the internet.
No, YOU are the one lacking in CBB knowledge. Claimed it was okay players like Momberg get beat a lot because of “modern help defense”. Face it, you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about and are looking for ways to make Momberg and the other 5 like anything other than bench warmers for a bad team. Move on. How long has it been since this happened? You can’t do anything to change what happened. Just please, stop fucking whining.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
You don't need to cut 6 scholarship players in the first week, without even meeting them or properly evaluating them. In fact, it appears that no women's coach at this level has done that in the history of ncaa basketball. Especially a new coach with a 4-year contact. You talk like the only way to win and improve is by taking the most drastic action that any new coach has taken. There are other ways to success and building a strong program.

The roster did fact accomplish plenty last year, just didn't finish. Had lost 2 good players who would have been starters. Two new strong frosh recruited for next year. You further bash the players who were cut by calling them NAIA level. The first one to find a new home signed with a D-I school.

I know a lot about winning. I played 2 college varsity sports, one of which was an undefeated champion. I also played rugby, in college and into my 50s. There are 16 or 18 coaches in my wife's and my family, one of whom was a college basketball head coach for almost 20 years. Some are in the basketball halls of fame at their colleges. Some in the MT coaches hall of fame. They have more wins than you have points from your intramural basketball.

You are just an internet guy who never played sports at any high level. I can see it in the (dumb) things you say in your post. You bash the team and the players constantly. You're a jerk. And you neither understand sport or Griz basketball. UM is not a win-at-all-cost school. It's not even close to that. Ask Bodnar. Ask the Regents. Heck, ask Haslam. Even he wouldn't say that.

That was her only D1 offer too.....she had 20 D2 and NAIA offers. Again I will stand by my assessment, the majority of talent who was “cut” from the team was NAIA/D2 level talent.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
No, YOU are the one lacking in CBB knowledge. Claimed it was okay players like Momberg get beat a lot because of “modern help defense”. Face it, you don’t know what the [#]f### you’re talking about and are looking for ways to make Momberg and the other 5 like anything other than bench warmers for a bad team. Move on. How long has it been since this happened? You can’t do anything to change what happened. Just please, stop f###[#] whining.

I said nothing like that about Momberg. You are a liar. And a racist. I am look forward to running you off egriz. You are a jerk, loser and stupid. Get ready.

grizzlyjournal said:
https://twitter.com/ArkSelect22/status/1395201005906710531

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8cOZb9ytNQ

Looks like good player. A junior. Guessing she won’t end up at UM. What do you think?

As I mentioned in a previous post, while at Oregon State, Holsinger was the lead recruiter for Sasha Goforth who attended Fayetteville HS in Arkansas.

Lyles also attends Fayetteville HS in Arkansas so the two are certainly familiar with one another. She has around 20+ offers including some from bigger schools (Houston, Colorado, Cincinnati, SMU).

Just as an observation:

His first two offers for the present and future indicate a significant deviation from the traditional footprint. A girl from Germany and Arkansas. Obviously a small sample size, but one of his selling points was to modernize the UM's recruiting approach. Besides last year where Petrino brought in two girls from Australia (through transfers) and a JC girl from Missouri, Montana hasn't been a player outside the PNW in almost twenty years now. That of course is going to ruffle feathers, but he seems to be of the DeCuire school of thought. Lets get in on players, you may not get all of them but you can't win battles you don't fight.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:
No, YOU are the one lacking in CBB knowledge. Claimed it was okay players like Momberg get beat a lot because of “modern help defense”. Face it, you don’t know what the [#]f### you’re talking about and are looking for ways to make Momberg and the other 5 like anything other than bench warmers for a bad team. Move on. How long has it been since this happened? You can’t do anything to change what happened. Just please, stop f###[#] whining.

I said nothing like that about Momberg. You are a liar. And a racist. I am look forward to running you off egriz. You are a jerk, loser and stupid. Get ready.
Yes, yes you did. Straight from the RaeQuan Battle thread.
“ Her defense is fine, especially for modern-day help defenses.”
Who’s the liar?

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
Who’s the liar?

Lyles looks to get her shot off too fast and is way too accurate for PR! Momberg is way better!

He's got Chattanooga season tickets this year....plans to go for the FCS title game in December and stay the winter...with a few side trips to watch the other "Fab 5" at their future D1 schools.

PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:
https://twitter.com/ArkSelect22/status/1395201005906710531

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8cOZb9ytNQ

Looks like good player. A junior. Guessing she won’t end up at UM. What do you think?

PlayerRep: Since I posted this, I assume your question is directed to me. Like you, I was a strong Petrino-Covill-Sullivan-Henderson advocate and was disappointed at the final hiring results. I know this: In Sullivan, Holsinger made a good hire; I know personally that Petrino and Covill remain strong, pro-Griz in all aspects as supporters of the MontanaWBB program. I wish them the best.

I really have no specific opinion on Lyles individually, but really like how the above info indicates a much broader recruiting scope... initiated by Petrino but now aggressively continued by Holsinger. That's what's important. Because, Holsinger will NOT succeed if he cannot compete against MSU, ISU, Idaho, UNC, NAU etc. etc for the best mid-major women's hoops players available, and he knows it. Bluntly: Montana fell dramatically behind in recruiting D1 talent. I am not dissing those players who departed, but coach Holsinger has a huge recruiting job ahead of him and has no time to spare. In my opinion will take 4-5 years to turn this program around. As Montana WBB head coach, he has the right and the responsibility to make (sometimes unpopular) decisions toward returning the GrizWBB to the top tier of mid-major women's hoops once again.

grizzlyjournal said:
PlayerRep said:

PlayerRep: Since I posted this, I assume your question is directed to me. Like you, I was a strong Petrino-Covill-Sullivan-Henderson advocate and was disappointed at the final hiring results. I know this: In Sullivan, Holsinger made a good hire; I know personally that Petrino and Covill remain strong, pro-Griz in all aspects as supporters of the MontanaWBB program. I wish them the best.

I really have no specific opinion on Lyles individually, but really like how the above info indicates a much broader recruiting scope... initiated by Petrino but now aggressively continued by Holsinger. That's what's important. Because, Holsinger will NOT succeed if he cannot compete against MSU, ISU, Idaho, UNC, NAU etc. etc for the best mid-major women's hoops players available, and he knows it. Bluntly: Montana fell dramatically behind in recruiting D1 talent. I am not dissing those players who departed, but coach Holsinger has a huge recruiting job ahead of him and has no time to spare. In my opinion will take 4-5 years to turn this program around. As Montana WBB head coach, he has the right and the responsibility to make (sometimes unpopular) decisions toward returning the GrizWBB to the top tier of mid-major women's hoops once again.

Excellent, and right-on post Glen. I would expect no less from a Jefferson GS, MCHS, and UM Grad. :clap: :clap: :clap:

maroonandsilver said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Excellent, and right-on post Glen. I would expect no less from a Jefferson GS, MCHS, and UM Grad. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:D I've been a Silvertip/Grizzly/Griz fan since 1953, but not too many (probably old codgers) know I played for the practically winless Jefferson grade school teams. :thumb:

grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:

:D I've been a Silvertip/Grizzly/Griz fan since 1953, but not too many (probably old codgers) know I played for the practically winless Jefferson grade school teams. :thumb:

I'm older than you by at least a couple years , and also a Jefferson Warrior. My class had Jim Quinn, with Larry Huggins a year behind, so were pretty good. "Fight Maroon and White, Fight with all your might!"

I have made my opinions known before on the topic of big-shot (in their own minds) boosters trying to interject their pull on how athletic programs are run. I have several buddies, now retired, who have coached at both the FCS and FBS level. We have had many conversations about how they dreaded dealing with the big-money boosters who demanded access to them because of donations to the program. One key comment from them was that it was much worse in the FCS, because of the "big-fish-in-a-little-pond" phenomenon. They laugh about the boosters who love to brag about their close friendships with the athletic department and coaches, all bought because these folks have to play nice to the boosters because of donations.
The really valuable boosters to any program are the ones who donate as fans, but don't have expectations about giving their two-bit opinions about hiring, etc.

I don't think the vast majority of long time LG ticket holders and supporters are under any illusion as to what has been happening with the program and that includes a lot of former players including a number that are fiercely loyal to Shannon. The recruiting hasn't been great for some time and mix that with some flame out, injury related issues and coaching decisions, the Lady Griz went from top tier in the conference to a roster replete with players that are barely replacement level. That happened in essentially five years and most of it on Shannon's watch.

As Grizzlyjournal noted, and I don't think it is limited to graduates of Jefferson Elementary, it is going to take some serious work for Holsinger to not only recruit but also get the on court play back to where we expect it to be. I don't expect everyone to be all giddy for how every thing has played out over the past few months, but we have to stop blaming Holsinger for those problems. This lies at the feet of a lot of other people and it isn't for Haslam removing Shannon or not even hiring Petrino. Shannon's issues with recruiting and personnel management put us in this place, and you can quibble with how Haslam handled the situation, but he made a bold choice with Holsinger. I, even as a graduate of Hellgate Elementary, recognize the legacy of the program and its connection to Montana born athletes but it isn't lost on me is the best way to honor the program and its legacy is to expect the program to be a mid-major power again. I don't care if the girl is from Arkansas, Azerbaijan, Absorkee, or Arlee.

Nicely stated Grizfan-24. I don't remember these details very well, but it seems to me that recruiting began to trail off when Annette Whitaker retired and didn't return to its prior level under Shannon's watch.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
Who’s the liar?

You are the liar. I said her defense was fine, especially with Modern-day help defenses. Straight from one of her coaches, by the way. I did not say this: "Claimed it was okay players like Momberg get beat a lot because of “modern help defense”. I didn't say Momberg got beat. I didn't say it was okay to get beat.

It's now been a month since the 6 players were cut. Without any prompting from me about Momberg, you are still hammering her and making up stuff. What's your obsession with her? Because she's Native American, I believe. When has any player who left UM athletics gotten hammered, for a month after they departed, by one poster (you) on egriz. Answer: Never. As I have, you are a never-played-the-gamer who thinks he has something to say because he looks at the internet. You are a loser.

My assumption is that you have never seen her play a game.

maroonandsilver said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I'm older than you by at least a couple years , and also a Jefferson Warrior. My class had Jim Quinn, with Larry Huggins a year behind, so were pretty good. "Fight Maroon and White, Fight with all your might!"

I DO remember some very good athletes a couple years ahead of me at Jefferson. One was a guy named Jerry Simonson? (not sure of spelling), who was an all state football player for the Spartans. Also Orville Okken, and especially a guy named Jim Lutz who found the guy who'd stolen my new bike and "persuaded" him to personally return it to me with a teary verbal apology. ;)

grizzlyjournal said:
PlayerRep said:

Wasn't meaning to direct the question at you, but thanks for response. I don't agree that the LG fell "dramatically" behind in recruiting. Give Petrino the 2 who left before his season, and the LG would have been fine, or fine enough. Don't know how anyone could think that not having a first-team all-conference players and Pickens wouldn't have been a huge boost for the LG. Give Shannon the great players who were injured, and she would have done better. The 2 slots filled by Petrino appear to be very strong. Fell behind in recruiting, yes. Dramatically behind, I don't think so.

If it takes this coach 4-5 years to turn the program around, the wrong coach was hired. All it should take is good recruiting each year, not chasing away good and solid players, building a good team culture (in my view, cutting 6 players in week 1, is not how a good team culture is built), and good coaching. As well as good luck with injuries.

Back