• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Let’s take a vote

Who thinks Haslam needs to go?

• Stay

Votes: 70 72.9%
  • Go

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • FTC

Votes: 54 56.3%

• Total voters
Argh, calling Kem a clown. A ding bat calling one of the best posters a clown....oh, well....

I just need to know the deadline on our decision and how long after that will it take the University to make an official announcement.

kemajic said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
I sincerely hope the new president “chooses to not renew his contract” as soon as possible. As an alumnus, I won’t be donating a dime as long as Haslam is associated with UM.
I sincerely hope you find a hole to crawl into. So you think the fabulous facility developments just happened all by themselves and that a successful softball program just popped up. And how many DII football games have you seen lately? Get real; Haslam is a very effective AD and will be in high demand should he leave UM. Your venom for the donors that keep our programs competitive while the University is in a down period is hard to understand, but then you are hard to understand.

Venom for donors? No. For people who make donations with strings attached and use their influence to manipulate the athletic department? Yes.

If you’re one of the donors who was threatening to withhold contributions if they didn’t fire coach Stitt, then you’re part of the problem. Your support for UM is conditional on you getting your own way.

That’s not a donation, that’s blackmail.

I’m not naive. I understand the booster money is needed. That being said, I don’t believe the bigger your bank account the more you magically know about running a college football program.

If you don’t have a competent AD who can keep those egos in check, then you end up with a group of elitists (who don’t know as much they think they do) running the athletic department by proxy. Unfortunately that’s exactly what we have now.

Haslam was hired over from the UM Foundation by Engstrom after one of UM’s infamous “national searches” (ha ha, yeah right). Not because of his prowess as an AD, but because of his political connections in the president’s office and his relationships with UM’s donors.

Had to keep the money rolling in while the rape trial was making national news, right? And to his credit, he did. Because that’s what he does best.

This is a big time program. Let Kent go back to doing what he does best. Then do an actual national search and bring in an actual AD from outside — like the one that recently brought in President Bodnar.

Montana needs an AD who does his best to fundraise, not a fundraiser who does his best to be an AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent has never worked for the UM Foundation. He's been in athletics his entire career. He was simply a liaison between Athletics and the Foundation, as is every Associate AD. The search when he was hired was absolutely national. It's just that UM had the best candidate on campus.

In my mind he's among the best one or two ADs UM has ever had. When he leaves, and unfortunately he will, it will be because a top P5 program hires him away and pays him a ridiculous sum of money.

HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
I sincerely hope the new president “chooses to not renew his contract” as soon as possible. As an alumnus, I won’t be donating a dime as long as Haslam is associated with UM.
I sincerely hope you find a hole to crawl into. So you think the fabulous facility developments just happened all by themselves and that a successful softball program just popped up. And how many DII football games have you seen lately? Get real; Haslam is a very effective AD and will be in high demand should he leave UM. Your venom for the donors that keep our programs competitive while the University is in a down period is hard to understand, but then you are hard to understand.

In all fairness, Kem, you stated on here that if Stitt was kept you would not be buying season tix or making any donations any longer. I guess I don't see how what he is saying and feeling is any different what you said and felt. Guy is entitled to his opinion just as you are.
Not accurate. Blown up by Argh in his constant attack. He can't contribute value so I guess that floats his boat. I stated I was done if the rumor was true that Stitt would be extended for another three years, as if everything was just fine, which it certainly wasn't and thank God sanity prevailed.

Mining's opinion is not imune to criticism and counter opinions is it? Slamming a fine AD like Haslam leaves him wide open to attack. Check out the poll.

EverettGriz said:
Kent has never worked for the UM Foundation. He's been in athletics his entire career. He was simply a liaison between Athletics and the Foundation, as is every Associate AD. The search when he was hired was absolutely national. It's just that UM had the best candidate on campus.

In my mind he's among the best one or two ADs UM has ever had. When he leaves, and unfortunately he will, it will be because a top P5 program hires him away and pays him a ridiculous sum of money.
+++++

EverettGriz said:

as an a.d. Or something less?

braves84 said:
EverettGriz said:

as an a.d. Or something less?

Oh, as an AD. He won't leave for an associate gig. He's far too in demand for that.

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:

In all fairness, Kem, you stated on here that if Stitt was kept you would not be buying season tix or making any donations any longer. I guess I don't see how what he is saying and feeling is any different what you said and felt. Guy is entitled to his opinion just as you are.
Not accurate. Blown up by Argh in his constant attack. He can't contribute value so I guess that floats his boat. I stated I was done if the rumor was true that Stitt would be extended for another three years, as if everything was just fine, which it certainly wasn't and thank God sanity prevailed.

Mining's opinion is not imune to criticism and counter opinions is it? Slamming a fine AD like Haslam leaves him wide open to attack. Check out the poll.
Kent isn’t a Montana guy. He’s never truly fit in here. He’s in over his head. He’s just not ready to be an AD at this level. He should go back to being and associate AD who only focuses on fundraising.

This week’s events with the soccer coach demonstrated to me that it’s time for UM to acknowledge their mistake and move on. I think everyone agrees that we should bring back O’Day and return the entire athletic department to dominance.

#BringBackJim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please explain why you feel Kent is in over his head. Should be an interesting conversation....

(P.S. Jim isn't coming back. But in either event, no, not everyone agrees he should; but if your complaint about Kent is his supposed lack of experience, please explain why you feel Jim was such a great AD with absolutely no prior experience).

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:

the reason i'm "on the attack" is because you far surpass the norms of even egriz for saying things that aren't true in order to support your incredibly large sense of entitlement. for instance, read what you really wrote about whether you would continue to support the griz unless stitt was fired asap. can you point out the "three year" part for us all(bqm). in addition, note that your plan was to give up entirely on um, not just the football team. you are the epitome of what greenie would call a bad fan.

Re: I think it was the wrong decision, but...
Report this post Quote
Post by kemajic » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:53 pm

You guys are bigger than me. We were set to pull all UM involvement had this decision not been dealt with bravely. I couldn't bear to watch any more. My first Griz games were the annual Skyline conf. MT/WY game in Billings nearly 60 years ago. Now I have a very nice bottle of bourbon to get to. MSU's little run will be over.
"I woke up still not dead again today." - Willie Nelson

argh! said:
kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:

the reason i'm "on the attack" is because you far surpass the norms of even egriz for saying things that aren't true in order to support your incredibly large sense of entitlement. for instance, read what you really wrote about whether you would continue to support the griz unless stitt was fired asap. can you point out the "three year" part for us all(bqm). in addition, note that your plan was to give up entirely on um, not just the football team. you are the epitome of what greenie would call a bad fan.

Report this post Quote

You guys are bigger than me. We were set to pull all UM involvement had this decision not been dealt with bravely. I couldn't bear to watch any more. My first Griz games were the annual Skyline conf. MT/WY game in Billings nearly 60 years ago. Now I have a very nice bottle of bourbon to get to. MSU's little run will be over.

Yep that's what I recall Kem saying as well.....taking his marbles and going home if he didn't get his change.....the same thing he just called someone else out for :oops:

EverettGriz said:
Please explain why you feel Kent is in over his head. Should be an interesting conversation....

(P.S. Jim isn't coming back. But in either event, no, not everyone agrees he should; but if your complaint about Kent is his supposed lack of experience, please explain why you feel Jim was such a great AD with absolutely no prior experience).

Mining is just trying to form his narrative. Facts just get in the way.

argh! said:
kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:

Report this post Quote

You come up with your claim that I stated immediate firing, which I didn't. "Dealt with bravely" is nowhere near that specific so stop making stuff up. "Dealt with bravely" could have been a one year extension with the stipulation that Semore be gone, which I could have been on board with. But I stand by what I said, that had they done nothing and allowed that to continue another three years, we would have directed our support to programs exhibiting sanity. I don't need to take any BS about being a bad fan; we drive over 300 mi each way to every home game and at least one road game every year, so tell me you do that well.

I don't know any you, thank God. Cool it. Both sides are being assholes. Bitch slapping contest.

Gaeilge1 said:
There is no question that Haslam has made some huge mistakes, but when I look at that proverbial balance sheet comparing his accomplishments to his gaffes I think he deserves to stay.

This is definitely a gaffe...but what “huge gaffes (plural yours, not mine)” has he made other than this? Or are you in the “one fuck up erases 100 atta boy’s” camp?

So it’s been asked several times now for someone to explain what other mistakes Haslam has made other then this soccer coach ordeal. So far no one has taken the bait. Either there isn’t anything else or they all believe this one issue far outweighs the good things that have happened under his watch. Which is it?

Back