• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Let's be real!

grizghost said:
kemajic said:
grizghost said:
...99 percent of the people that get Covid will survive! ..in Sweden they are using commonsense and if you are susceptible you
should stay home and quarantine ..I like this approach because they value their economy... do we trust each other or do we
have to be told what to do?...I prefer personal responsibility..
Maybe you didn't see the spring breakers in FL....

..sure there is always the extreme but do we punish the law abiding citizens that will do the right thing..do u punish law abiding
citizens who own a gun for protection because a criminal kills people..government over-reach can be a very dangerous
thing and we should always be on the guard of its abuse.. communist countries love extreme because it gives them the excuse
to take away more freedom from their people..wether we like or not we lost a lot of our freedom in 9/11..this pendulum
could easily swing that way..I do think this virus is serious but I also trust 'most' people making good commonsense decisions.
I think Sweden has it right on this one!

"Leaders Consolidate Power Amid Virus"

"For some world leaders, the coronavirus outbreak is providing an opportunity to consolidate power. Hungary’s prime minister has invoked an emergency law, taking sole command of that country, and in Poland, the ruling coalition is pushing to hold a presidential election that is planned next month despite the lockdown preventing the opposition from campaigning."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2020-04-01/leaders-consolidate-power-amid-virus-video

argh! said:
grizghost said:
...99 percent of the people that get Covid will survive! ..in Sweden they are using commonsense and if you are susceptible you
should stay home and quarantine ..I like this approach because they value their economy... do we trust each other or do we

fine, but if someone contracts coronavirus because of you, are you willing to be liable for whatever happens to them?
If people die from the regular flu (which far more will) because of you are you willing to be liable for that?

ilovethecats said:
argh! said:
grizghost said:

fine, but if someone contracts coronavirus because of you, are you willing to be liable for whatever happens to them?
If people die from the regular flu (which far more will) because of you are you willing to be liable for that?

...my wife last week had a sinus infection..yep I got it too..I guess she's trying to take me out..time to lawyer up!

grizghost said:
kemajic said:
grizghost said:

..sure there is always the extreme but do we punish the law abiding citizens that will do the right thing..do u punish law abiding
citizens who own a gun for protection because a criminal kills people..government over-reach can be a very dangerous
thing and we should always be on the guard of its abuse.. communist countries love extreme because it gives them the excuse
to take away more freedom from their people..wether we like or not we lost a lot of our freedom in 9/11..this pendulum
could easily swing that way..I do think this virus is serious but I also trust 'most' people making good commonsense decisions.
What would make you think that? Sweden 24 deaths/million, Norway 8, Denmark 18, Finland 3, USA 14.

ilovethecats said:
argh! said:
grizghost said:

no, because i got a flu shot, and so should they. my comment was meant for someone knowingly violating public health orders.

SaskGriz said:
grizghost said:
kemajic said:
grizghost said:

What would make you think that? Sweden 24 deaths/million, Norway 8, Denmark 18, Finland 3, USA 14.

Yes, higher death rate in Sweden, but lower case rate, 490, 897, 536, 261, and 637.

"It may also explain why a disproportionate number of Sweden’s Covid-19 deaths occurred within the country’s Somali community, whose members tend to live in cramped accommodation in poorer neighborhoods, with more intergenerational mingling and less access to government information."

"The ski pistes are open, the restaurants are doing ample business and the malls are awash with shoppers"

Rule is that everyone in restaurants and bars have to be seated. No gatherings over 50 people. That doesn't apply to bars/restaurants.

I think the jury is still out on Sweden's approach.

ilovethecats said:
argh! said:
grizghost said:

What a phenomenal question. :clap: :clap: :clap:

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
grizghost said:
kemajic said:

Yes, higher death rate in Sweden, but lower case rate, 490, 897, 536, 261, and 637.

"It may also explain why a disproportionate number of Sweden’s Covid-19 deaths occurred within the country’s Somali community, whose members tend to live in cramped accommodation in poorer neighborhoods, with more intergenerational mingling and less access to government information."

"The ski pistes are open, the restaurants are doing ample business and the malls are awash with shoppers"

Rule is that everyone in restaurants and bars have to be seated. No gatherings over 50 people. That doesn't apply to bars/restaurants.

And USA's deaths/cases are primarly centered in the cramped, heavily populated urban areas (NY, NJ, IL, CA)...our shopping malls may not be awash, but the damned grocery stores sure are....and really, if you have to go to the grocery store every 3-4 days than really NO ONE is "sequestering" and it's not doing a whole lot of good...

argh! said:
ilovethecats said:
argh! said:
grizghost said:

no, because i got a flu shot, and so should they. my comment was meant for someone knowingly violating public health orders.

Not all orders are lawful.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
grizghost said:

And USA's deaths/cases are primarly centered in the cramped, heavily populated urban areas (NY, NJ, IL, CA)...our shopping malls may not be awash, but the damned grocery stores sure are....and really, if you have to go to the grocery store every 3-4 days than really NO ONE is "sequestering" and it's not doing a whole lot of good...

CA seems to be leveling off. NYC area is a mess.

Grocery stores in Missoula haven't seemed to be crowed. ACE is doing a good business. Several days ago, ACE put up simple plexi-glass barriers at the checkout counters. Touching items seems to have minimized. Checkout person doesn't pick up the item. Just scans it. Asks if you want receipt.

Our family brings wipes to wipe off shopping cart handle, if cart used. Use sanitizer by door as we leave. Wipe parts of vehicle when home, like door handles and steering wheel. Wash hands immediately when home. Wipe home door entry inside and out fairy often. Wife's protocol.

AZGrizFan said:
... And USA's deaths/cases are primarily centered in the cramped, heavily populated urban areas (NY, NJ, IL, CA)...our shopping malls may not be awash, but the damned grocery stores sure are....and really, if you have to go to the grocery store every 3-4 days then really NO ONE is "sequestering" and it's not doing a whole lot of good...
"Rock and a hard place." If you go out and "stock up" for a really long "siege," you might be depriving other shoppers who are really, really short. But if you don't, you may come up short yourself. So far, we've managed to stretch it out to 7-8 days between trips. Still, when we went out yesterday, the grocery store had not been able to completely restock the soup racks. Suck it up, buttercup! Cream of celery ain't that bad. (Mostly) filled one cart and called it good.

One small good that could come of this. As someone mentioned elsewhere, Albertson's has installed clear plastic screens to shield their checkers. Considering how many "random" people they are exposed to, this is a great idea ... and worth keeping "forever."

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
ilovethecats said:
argh! said:

Not all orders are lawful.

'm pretty sure you know that i was being hypothetical, with a hypothetical justice system result. or a vigilante system result, if it comes to that.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
... And USA's deaths/cases are primarily centered in the cramped, heavily populated urban areas (NY, NJ, IL, CA)...our shopping malls may not be awash, but the damned grocery stores sure are....and really, if you have to go to the grocery store every 3-4 days then really NO ONE is "sequestering" and it's not doing a whole lot of good...
"Rock and a hard place." If you go out and "stock up" for a really long "siege," you might be depriving other shoppers who are really, really short. But if you don't, you may come up short yourself. So far, we've managed to stretch it out to 7-8 days between trips. Still, when we went out yesterday, the grocery store had not been able to completely restock the soup racks. Suck it up, buttercup! Cream of celery ain't that bad. (Mostly) filled one cart and called it good.

One small good that could come of this. As someone mentioned elsewhere, Albertson's has installed clear plastic screens to shield their checkers. Considered how many "random" people they are exposed to, this is a great idea ... and worth keeping "forever."
There is no reason to go to the grocery store. You can order everything you need on line from virtually any store and have it delivered. You can order every day if you want and most if not all stores are offering free delivery.
The vast majority of Americans are making incredible sacrifices in order to keep our most vulnerable neighbors safe and avoid crashing our health care systems. It would be helpful if our most vulnerable could meet us halfway by not exposing themselves to unnecessary risk.

Grizbeer said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

One small good that could come of this. As someone mentioned elsewhere, Albertson's has installed clear plastic screens to shield their checkers. Considered how many "random" people they are exposed to, this is a great idea ... and worth keeping "forever."
There is no reason to go to the grocery store. You can order everything you need on line from virtually any store and have it delivered. You can order every day if you want and most if not all stores are offering free delivery.
The vast majority of Americans are making incredible sacrifices in order to keep our most vulnerable neighbors safe and avoid crashing our health care systems. It would be helpful if our most vulnerable could meet us halfway by not exposing themselves to unnecessary risk.
True ... to some extent. But it's a trade-off between taking responsibility for providing for oneself and asking others -- order fillers and delivery people -- to take those risks. Not at all black and white. And just to be clear: Not everyone, everywhere can order online "and have it delivered," much less for free. A very good friend of mine is now spending most of his days running back and forth between his tiny store out in "the boonies" and the nearest metro area to keep his shelves stocked. He literally has no time left to make "home" deliveries, but that store is literally "the only game in town." He is not a young man, with some health problems, but he keeps at it because he feels a responsibility to his neighbors and customers (mostly the same people). But I suppose people who live away from the big cities made that life choice and "have to live with it."

IdaGriz01 said:
Grizbeer said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

True ... to some extent. But it's a trade-off between taking responsibility for providing for oneself and asking others -- order fillers and delivery people -- to take those risks. Not at all black and white. And just to be clear: Not everyone, everywhere can order online "and have it delivered," much less for free. A very good friend of mine is now spending most of his days running back and forth between his tiny store out in "the boonies" and the nearest metro area to keep his shelves stocked. He literally has no time left to make "home" deliveries, but that store is literally "the only game in town." He is not a young man, with some health problems, but he keeps at it because he feels a responsibility to his neighbors and customers (mostly the same people). But I suppose people who live away from the big cities made that life choice and "have to live with it."

That's a good point about who takes the risk. Although I suppose there's not much risk to the person delivering. How do they deliver the groceries at the house. Ring door bell and run? Hand to the house owner?

I would feel more comfortable grabbing my own groceries from the shelf. For me, in the fairly quiet stores in Missoula, I don't feel virus threatened at all, even though I keep my eyes open. And use the hand sanitizers and wipes.

Grizbeer said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

You've had FAR better luck getting deliveries than I have then. We have not been able to get everything we have needed in over a weeks time, let alone every day. And this is from no less than 3 different places. In addition we have tried Amazon for many items and those too were unavailable. So count your lucky stars.

As it is we try to consolidate our shopping so we're only getting out about once a week. If this wasn't ok I'd imagine they'd shut down the grocery stores. So to be clear, I have MANY reasons to go to the grocery store, and I will continue doing so in a responsible manner until the government shuts them down.

Back