• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana hb112

HelenaHandBasket

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-board-governors-statement-transgender-participation

So if Montana HB112 passes, it may mean no more hosting playoff games for UM and MSU.

The ncaa is about making money for the ncaa. Let's see how this evolves over time. Follow the money! Notice they left themselves some wiggle room with the "evolving science" portion of the comment.

Ben Wineman
@BenWineman
BREAKING: @NCAA has released a statement on transgender participation in collegiate sports.

They will withhold NCAA sporting events from states that pass trans-discrimination laws.

This includes TN, MS, AR, ID, and potentially Montana if HB-112 is passed.

Ben Wineman
@BenWineman
If HB-112 passes, this would mean no Griz or Cat home playoff football games.

The bill already has an amendment attached saying if the Federal Government pulls education funding because of the bill, the law would terminate.

The bill is almost to the Governor's desk.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Ben Wineman
@BenWineman
BREAKING: @NCAA has released a statement on transgender participation in collegiate sports.

They will withhold NCAA sporting events from states that pass trans-discrimination laws.

This includes TN, MS, AR, ID, and potentially Montana if HB-112 is passed.

Ben Wineman
@BenWineman
If HB-112 passes, this would mean no Griz or Cat home playoff football games.

The bill already has an amendment attached saying if the Federal Government pulls education funding because of the bill, the law would terminate.

The bill is almost to the Governor's desk.

Nice that you can take a stand with your wet finger to the wind!

Does it have to just pass or get signed by the governor to affect playoff games? If Gianforte were to veto the bill (which I don't see him doing), then why would the NCAA care if it was passed but not sign into law?

Griz til I die said:
Does it have to just pass or get signed by the governor to affect playoff games? If Gianforte were to veto the bill (which I don't see him doing), then why would the NCAA care if it was passed but not sign into law?

It doesn't need a signature to become law.

Great Day To Be An Eagle said:
That shouldn't be a problem for y'all :wink:

Yeah, enjoy all those future division 2 playoff games on the red rag!

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

Really? I thought I saw a tweet from Ben Wineman earlier today saying it has to go to the governor's desk. Well the good news is the house voted 97-2 earlier today to not accept the amendments from the senate, so that buys some time as they try to hack it out on the conference committee, but that's a huge margin in the house. They may not accept anything that's not the original draft of the bill.

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Really? I thought I saw a tweet from Ben Wineman earlier today saying it has to go to the governor's desk. Well the good news is the house voted 97-2 earlier today to not accept the amendments from the senate, so that buys some time as they try to hack it out on the conference committee, but that's a huge margin in the house. They may not accept anything that's not the original draft of the bill.

It goes to his desk, but if he doesn't sign it or veto it within a certain period of time, it becomes law anyway.

MikeyGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

It goes to his desk, but if he doesn't sign it or veto it within a certain period of time, it becomes law anyway.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

Interesting game of chicken the NCAA is playing. My guess is that they will walk it back once real money is involved, but I guess we shall see.

The NCAA statement should not be a surprise to anyone. This probability (not possibility) was brought up numerous times in committee hearings.

Since nothing else apparently was enough. This should remind you election choices have consequences.

I read the article as if it was for Championship locations. How is that we would not get a playoff game?

Back