• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

My First Game at Dahlberg!!

PlayerRep said:
GrizLA said:
PlayerRep said:
GrizLA said:
Why would you want to know? I thought you were so successful as an internet stalker or are you just slimy? You don't like Butte? Too damn bad..

Reading and remembering what posters say on egriz is hardly internet stalking. It works for people with good memories. I'd be happy to put my greater family's Butte background against yours anytime. Irish.

Edit: GrizLA post in 2009. Like I said, good memory.

"Butte, to UM, to Cornell, to Stanford, to Seattle, to LA....love LA, staying here!"

Were you at Cornell when Ed Marinaro was still playing?
Look it up.

You really are a sensitive jerk. Okay, suppose no one cares anyway. I'm sure you wouldn't have known him anyway.

Thanks,you are right, and no ,I didn't. Having read fewer and fewer of your posts, I can say that you are a bit of a jerk, yourself. sorry.

PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:
Well, my FIRST GAME at Dahlberg, when it was just the Field House, was the VERY FIRST GAME played there, in December 1953 against the defending National Champion Indiana Hoosiers. As Griz fans, you are all a bunch of rookies!!! :lol:

Figure I'd better jump into this thread, because I, also, was at the first game in the UM Fieldhouse (as I always knew it). I just don't remember. My uncle was a member of the architectural team that designed the structure, so my father took me along to watch the construction process, of which I have vague memories.

It didn't take me long to become a Silvertip fan, though. My two heroes (1953 or 54) were Al Dunham and Rudolph "Zip" Rhodes (or Rhoades). I DO remember them vividly. Since then I've only missed three seasons as a fan (Vietnam) and could bore everyone with the player or players who were my heroes... and I'm pretty certain that was a yearly ritual... even though the teams during the sixties weren't very good.

Rhodes' son went to Harvard law school, worked for our firm, and works in Missoula now. The son is or was good hoops player too.

1) Rudolph (Zip) Rhoades II (with an "a"...) was black, originally from Baltimore, MD, and moved to Kalispell before his HS senior year in 1952. Met his wife, also black, who lived in Butte, but visited the Kalispell area in summers the summer of 1952. Following HS he played hoops for UM then returned to the Baltimore. He and his wife had two kids, son (Rudolph III) and daughter. Amazingly, both the kids were also black!

2) Rudolph Rhoades III based on a quick google search now lives in the Baltimore area and no reference to him ever living in Missoula, working for PR's firm, graduating from Harvard Law or being a lawyer.

3) John Rhodes (no "a") is white, graduated from DePauw (Indiana) undergrad, Harvard Law, now works in Missoula for the Federal Defenders of Montana, and plays basketball at noon at the Missoula Elks Club. Must have played in HS and maybe college because among the noon "waddlers" at the Elks he's one of the better players. Maybe once worked for PR's firm, but PR never learned how to spell his last name!)

Can't get the race right, person right, name spelled right, profession right, city of residence right....but go ahead PR....lay a little more BS on us all!

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Rhodes' son went to Harvard law school, worked for our firm, and works in Missoula now. The son is or was good hoops player too.

1) Rudolph (Zip) Rhoades II (with an "a"...) was black, originally from Baltimore, MD, and moved to Kalispell before his HS senior year in 1952. Met his wife, also black, who lived in Butte, but visited the Kalispell area in summers the summer of 1952. Following HS he played hoops for UM then returned to the Baltimore. He and his wife had two kids, son (Rudolph III) and daughter. Amazingly, both the kids were also black!

2) Rudolph Rhoades III based on a quick google search now lives in the Baltimore area and no reference to him ever living in Missoula, working for PR's firm, graduating from Harvard Law or being a lawyer.

3) John Rhodes (no "a") is white, graduated from DePauw (Indiana) undergrad, Harvard Law, now works in Missoula for the Federal Defenders of Montana, and plays basketball at noon at the Missoula Elks Club. Must have played in HS and maybe college because among the noon "waddlers" at the Elks he's one of the better players. Maybe once worked for PR's firm, but PR never learned how to spell his last name!)

Can't get the race right, person right, name spelled right, profession right, city of residence right....but go ahead PR....lay a little more BS on us all!

Excellent bit of investigation here, MG. One begins to suspect that many of PR's haughty boasts would be similarly exposed as so much hot air if even faintly scrutinized...

I had always been under the impression that Rudolph Zip Rhoades was spelled with an "a," but when I checked in the online version of the UM Basketball yearbook (page 63) it's spelled as "Rhodes." I just did a bit more research and confirmed his family name is spelled "Rhoades."

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:
Well, my FIRST GAME at Dahlberg, when it was just the Field House, was the VERY FIRST GAME played there, in December 1953 against the defending National Champion Indiana Hoosiers. As Griz fans, you are all a bunch of rookies!!! :lol:

Figure I'd better jump into this thread, because I, also, was at the first game in the UM Fieldhouse (as I always knew it). I just don't remember. My uncle was a member of the architectural team that designed the structure, so my father took me along to watch the construction process, of which I have vague memories.

It didn't take me long to become a Silvertip fan, though. My two heroes (1953 or 54) were Al Dunham and Rudolph "Zip" Rhodes (or Rhoades). I DO remember them vividly. Since then I've only missed three seasons as a fan (Vietnam) and could bore everyone with the player or players who were my heroes... and I'm pretty certain that was a yearly ritual... even though the teams during the sixties weren't very good.

HAHAHAAHAHH!! I know the John Rhodes who hoops it up at the Elks, but never would have thought of connecting him to PR's made up story. That's just too awesome. :lol:

grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:

Gee, thanks Journal, Ditto...Yes, it was an auspicious evening for a frankly bare bones Adams Fieldhouse. Except for the balcony seats - hand me downs from a defunct movie theater - the seating was made up of the kind of temporary bleachers still in vogue for most Big Sky newbie programs six decade later. Construction cost in 50's money was $800,000.

The raised floor was surrounded by enough sawdust shavings to make you think the circus was in town. Can you say fire trap! The Hoosiers led by All-American center Don Schlundt in truth could have probably rung up three digits on an undermanned Griz squad should Indy Coach Branch McCracken been so inclined. Don't know if any of my contemporary fossil posters remember it, but in one of its later iterations the playing floor was rotated a full 90 degrees to its present orientation.

Seems like only yesterday til I check out the mirror. :coffee:

grizpsych said:
When will PlayerRep just let something go? Maybe this year, probably not.

I was disappointed in how fast he forgot his threat about "running me out of the gym" after I kicked him around. As it turned out, he couldn't even find the gym.

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Excellent bit of investigation here, MG. One begins to suspect that many of PR's haughty boasts would be similarly exposed as so much hot air if even faintly scrutinized...

Zip played against (in HS), then with (in college) my Dad. Met him a couple times at UM reunions. Know John fairly well.

This one smelled like a turdy PR post from the beginning. I was a little nervous that the son might have worked in PR's firm, since you'd assume PR would have actually had a two-sided conversation with him, and gotten the story about "Dad"....but with PR there are few two-sided conversations and the "@#it" gets deep pretty fast.

Fat Bruno said:
grizpsych said:

I was disappointed in how fast he forgot his threat about "running me out of the gym" after I kicked him around. As it turned out, he couldn't even find the gym.

You kids keep it up and we'll turn the car around..zzzzz.

As you undoubtedly know, Silvertip, when the circus (Shriners) came to town, it was performed within the confines of the fieldhouse, on that carpet of sawdust.

Silvertip said:
grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:

Gee, thanks Journal, Ditto...Yes, it was an auspicious evening for a frankly bare bones Adams Fieldhouse. Except for the balcony seats - hand me downs from a defunct movie theater - the seating was made up of the kind of temporary bleachers still in vogue for most Big Sky newbie programs six decade later. Construction cost in 50's money was $800,000.

The raised floor was surrounded by enough sawdust shavings to make you think the circus was in town. Can you say fire trap! The Hoosiers led by All-American center Don Schlundt in truth could have probably rung up three digits on an undermanned Griz squad should Indy Coach Branch McCracken been so inclined. Don't know if any of my contemporary fossil posters remember it, but in one of its later iterations the playing floor was rotated a full 90 degrees to its present orientation.

What a fantastic and interesting conversation between 3 of the best that Egriz has to offer (sounds like faint praise, but is absolutely sincere)! These sorts of reminiscences give me real hope for this place... :clap:

Here's a great feature on Zip from the Kalispell Daily Interlake. Rhoades died in August of 2016 and this story was published last May. A great read with quite a few photos.

Apologies for the duplicate post. The link didn't work so I re-posted (see below).

grizzlyjournal said:
As you undoubtedly know, Silvertip, when the circus (Shriners) came to town, it was performed within the confines of the fieldhouse, on that carpet of sawdust.

That sawdust probably launched me into my allergy-plagued life, but at least it didn't prove life- threatening unlike sitting on those rickety bleachers perched precariously on the running track above the Old Men's Gym floor.

And now I are one...

Here's a great feature on Zip from the Kalispell Daily Interlake. Rhoades died in August of 2016 and this story was published last May. A great read with quite a few photos.

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/article/20170304/ARTICLE/170309932

Silvertip said:
grizzlyjournal said:

That sawdust probably launched me into my allergy-plagued life, but at least it didn't prove life- threatening unlike sitting on those rickety bleachers perched precariously on the running track above the Old Men's Gym floor.

And now I are one...

Ha! I'm pretty rickety as well. I think my allergies came from growing up somewhere equidistant from three forever active tepee burners on Missoula's south side!

Silvertip said:
grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:

I remember looking at the sawdust and then to the wooden beams that really were impressive. Always wondered if the floor bounced for the players. I admit, I think the seating arrangements in the old place, bleachers and all were better than they are now. Students were on the side facing the benches. Did UM ever make the potential ice rink attached? I remember when they opened the new pool. It was a very impressive facility for a short course competition. At the time, it was one of the best in the Skyline.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:

What do you mean I didn't spell his name right? I spelled it "Rhodes". I was talking about the other Rhodes who played for UM. John Rhodes' dad. I didn't say Rhoades (that's the other former Griz player). Ha.

Who wants to bet me $500 that John Rhodes' dad played hoops for the Griz? I say he did. Let's see one or more of you bigmouths put up or shut up on this. I'm waiting for the bet.

Fat Bruno said:
grizpsych said:

Didn't I get you banned at least once, shortly after I said that? Do you want to see if I can get you banned again? If so, give me a little of your BS to work with.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:

What do you mean I didn't spell his name right? I spelled it "Rhodes". I was talking about the other Rhodes who played for UM. John Rhodes' dad. I didn't say Rhoades (that's the other former Griz player). Ha.

Who wants to bet me $500 that John Rhodes' dad played hoops for the Griz? I say he did. Let's see one or more of you bigmouths put up or shut up on this. I'm waiting for the bet.

Okay, who's going to bet on this? I will take as many as you want to offer.

Back