• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

National Search for New Lady Griz Coach

maroonandsilver said:
There is a rumor around Missoula, conveyed to me by a media sports person, that Petrino was cut from consideration. At that point a number of current Lady Griz protested and threatened to transfer if Mike was not reconsidered. Then Mike was placed back into consideration. I don't know if this rumor is valid, and it is just a rumor, and you can all pile on me for posting it, but there it is.
Was one of them PR? :lol: Great info! I know he's well respected within the locker room and that's why he's still in consideration. As we've mentioned, one of the things we are looking for in a coach is a talent upgrade. If they want to transfer, fine, it frees up scholarships to help us bring in elite talent. The search committee cannot let the players be the deciding factor in who gets the job. It's important to get their input of course, but if they went solely off of their input then why waste time even interviewing anyone else?

One could make an argument that this is the most important hire Haslam will make in his time as AD. Sure the hiring of Bobby and Trav were big, but Decuire inherited a great roster, and nobody else but Bobby really even got looked at. As much as I love Petrino as a guy, it's time for a fresh start and a clean slate. The search committee can't get hung up on players transferring out. There's plenty of time to still recruit and they need to make the best possible hire. Petrino hasn't really proven to me that he's got his own identity separate from Shannon. He does seem to like to recruit Juco's but he will likely still try to take every MT kid whether they're worthy or not, and nobody on this staff really has great recruiting connections anywhere outside the Northwest, that's why I don't think Petrino is the best hire. We got to start recruiting in California, Arizona, Texas, and really start nailing it with D1 transfers. I don't see anything from Petrino so far that makes me think he's that much different from Shannon over this last year.

Griz til I die said:
maroonandsilver said:
There is a rumor around Missoula, conveyed to me by a media sports person, that Petrino was cut from consideration. At that point a number of current Lady Griz protested and threatened to transfer if Mike was not reconsidered. Then Mike was placed back into consideration. I don't know if this rumor is valid, and it is just a rumor, and you can all pile on me for posting it, but there it is.
Was one of them PR? :lol: Great info! I know he's well respected within the locker room and that's why he's still in consideration. As we've mentioned, one of the things we are looking for in a coach is a talent upgrade. If they want to transfer, fine, it frees up scholarships to help us bring in elite talent. The search committee cannot let the players be the deciding factor in who gets the job. It's important to get their input of course, but if they went solely off of their input then why waste time even interviewing anyone else?

One could make an argument that this is the most important hire Haslam will make in his time as AD. Sure the hiring of Bobby and Trav were big, but Decuire inherited a great roster, and nobody else but Bobby really even got looked at. As much as I love Petrino as a guy, it's time for a fresh start and a clean slate. The search committee can't get hung up on players transferring out. There's plenty of time to still recruit and they need to make the best possible hire. Petrino hasn't really proven to me that he's got his own identity separate from Shannon. He does seem to like to recruit Juco's but he will likely still try to take every MT kid whether they're worthy or not, and nobody on this staff really has great recruiting connections anywhere outside the Northwest, that's why I don't think Petrino is the best hire. We got to start recruiting in California, Arizona, Texas, and really start nailing it with D1 transfers. I don't see anything from Petrino so far that makes me think he's that much different from Shannon over this last year.

I agree with you on every point. I would only add my desire to recruiting in Australia and Europe be considered. Currently the Lady Griz are not close to being in the top tier of the Conference. They are 20 point losers to MSU, ISU and UI. And, of course losers in the BSC tourney to the worst team in the conference. A totally new recruiting philosophy needs to happen. And that will happen only with a new coaching staff.

maroonandsilver said:

If you don't like this rumor, feel free to start one of your own! :D

maroonandsilver said:
Griz til I die said:

I agree with you on every point. I would only add my desire to recruiting in Australia and Europe be considered. Currently the Lady Griz are not close to being in the top tier of the Conference. They are 20 point losers to MSU, ISU and UI. And, of course losers in the BSC tourney to the worst team in the conference. A totally new recruiting philosophy needs to happen. And that will happen only with a new coaching staff.

Not trying to diss anyone, but this seems to be a big ask of someone to accomplish all or most of this in their first year. Especially since Petrino was given a late start to begin with. I know miracles happen, but when they do they are still a miracle. I'm not saying some things don't need changing or improved, but you can't expect a complete program shift all at once. The miracle at msu didn't start out all that great. Where would they be if Binford was released after the first year?

I heard that the committee worked up 4 good names, several with impressive resumes and apparent strong recruiting experience that would certainly provide opportunities to upgrade the Lady Griz talent level.....and maybe even coaching level. Then the committee started getting email barrages from the "good old boy" network threatening to pull all financial support unless Petrino was retained. Word is the "good old boy" network doesn't want to hire outside the Lady Griz coaching "tree"......which includes Selvig, Shannon and Petrino. The committee called Selvig, he refused to come out of retirement, they tried Shannon but her legal counsel insisted she not return to coaching pending her lawsuit against UM...so that left Petrino.

You heard it here first, Petrino will be retained and the three point shooting wizard he brought in last year will remove her name from the portal and return along with both Schweyen daughters.

Mousegriz said:
I heard that the committee worked up 4 good names, several with impressive resumes and apparent strong recruiting experience that would certainly provide opportunities to upgrade the Lady Griz talent level.....and maybe even coaching level. Then the committee started getting email barrages from the "good old boy" network threatening to pull all financial support unless Petrino was retained. Word is the "good old boy" network doesn't want to hire outside the Lady Griz coaching "tree"......which includes Selvig, Shannon and Petrino. The committee called Selvig, he refused to come out of retirement, they tried Shannon but her legal counsel insisted she not return to coaching pending her lawsuit against UM...so that left Petrino.

You heard it here first, Petrino will be retained and the three point shooting wizard he brought in last year will remove her name from the portal and return along with both Schweyen daughters.
I simply cannot believe they would offer the job to Shannon again! :eek:

Mousegriz said:

Exactly why you don’t allow a committee to get involved in these selections. If an AD is not able to make a quick and decisive decision on who to hire, you get all kinds of people mucking up the process. If the AD makes bad hiring decisions, then they should be fired and find one who can. Otherwise, don’t waste your money on an AD and have an “athletic working group” make all the department’s decisions by majority vote. State of Montana is only one I’m aware of that handles major coaching hires with a committee. Takes away any coach who wishes to remain anonymous as well. This hire should have been over a long time ago in my opinion.

Mousegriz said:

Way off!
Hanna won't stay.
We really don't know how far Mikes recruiting abilities can go. He was a recruiter before coming to Montana. He has only shown a glimpse of what he can do. All else was Shannon before that. All of it!
That being said there two candidates that would help us greatly on our perimeter coaching. Better than Mike. Way better than Shannon! We have suffered there for many years with lack of D and shooting percentage. Coaching would help that greatly. I like Mike as a person and a recruiter but I'm not seeing our game grow or better than it was.

Mousegriz said:

There’s no way that’s a true story. And if it is, it’s probably all of those #iamwith21 freaks on Facebook who are still pissed about her getting fired. The true Griz fans will still show up and support the program regardless of whoever is hired.

Mousegriz said:

I hope this is just a poor attempt at sarcasm. The story just simply isn't true. Most aspects of that story are questionable BS at the minimum, but the cherry on top of this steaming pile is trying to convince us that they attempted to bring Shannon back. Anyone who knows anything about the acrimony of how Shannon's firing went down behind the scenes would simply laugh at this assertion. It just simply wouldn't happen. No love lost from either side.

MikeyGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:

Not trying to diss anyone, but this seems to be a big ask of someone to accomplish all or most of this in their first year. Especially since Petrino was given a late start to begin with. I know miracles happen, but when they do they are still a miracle. I'm not saying some things don't need changing or improved, but you can't expect a complete program shift all at once. The miracle at msu didn't start out all that great. Where would they be if Binford was released after the first year?

Does it even matter what Petrino did or didn't do this season? Just compare Petrino and Campbell's resumes. Anyone who is even remotely objective can see who should come out on top. And that's not a slight toward Petrino, but simply an acknowledgment that Campbell's coaching/recruiting record is off the charts, especially for someone applying to Montana!

ThinkingGriz said:
I believe it will come down to two. Jamie Carey or Mark Campbell. With Mark getting the pick. Any bets on that?

- Petrino is the best fit and could be successful for a long time.
- Carey is the most interesting candidate, but I haven't met her.
- Campbell and Holsinger are good assistant coaches that I don't think are a good fit at UM.

HelenaHandBasket said:
bigskywbb said:
- Campbell and Holsinger are good assistant coaches that I don't think are a good fit at UM.

Would love to hear more on the bolded.

I'm a big fan of Head Coaching experience for the premiere job in the Big Sky. I know ACs need to get their HC experience somewhere, but that doesn't mean it has to be this job. (Eastern Washinging is a great place for an AC to get HC experience). UM gave Petrino a shot for a little HC experience (I think HS HC experience is valuable as well) and he did an outstanding job in a crazy year in a crazy situation.

(most of my criticisms of Campbell could apply to Carey... please note, I haven't met Coach Carey) Campbell (really good guy) - Why Montana? What connection does he have? Why is he being mentioned for 100 other jobs right now? How does recruiting to Missoula and the Big Sky compare to recruiting to the Pac 12? How does recruiting change when you don't have an unlimited budget or a private plane? How do you go from recruiting 5 star kids to recruiting against Montana State for a kid in Great Falls?

Holsinger (really good guy) - Same recruiting questions as Campbell (going from Pac 12 to Big Sky... and why?). Holsinger does have his two years at Montana Tech(15 years ago... a long time out of the head chair).

Overall - UM is a great job and I'm excited for whomever gets the gig!

bigskywbb said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Would love to hear more on the bolded.

I'm a big fan of Head Coaching experience for the premiere job in the Big Sky. I know ACs need to get their HC experience somewhere, but that doesn't mean it has to be this job. (Eastern Washinging is a great place for an AC to get HC experience). UM gave Petrino a shot for a little HC experience (I think HS HC experience is valuable as well) and he did an outstanding job in a crazy year in a crazy situation.

(most of my criticisms of Campbell could apply to Carey... please note, I haven't met Coach Carey) Campbell (really good guy) - Why Montana? What connection does he have? Why is he being mentioned for 100 other jobs right now? How does recruiting to Missoula and the Big Sky compare to recruiting to the Pac 12? How does recruiting change when you don't have an unlimited budget or a private plane? How do you go from recruiting 5 star kids to recruiting against Montana State for a kid in Great Falls?

Holsinger (really good guy) - Same recruiting questions as Campbell (going from Pac 12 to Big Sky... and why?). Holsinger does have his two years at Montana Tech(15 years ago... a long time out of the head chair).

Overall - UM is a great job and I'm excited for whomever gets the gig!

Just curious, but do you know how many current BSC had head coaching experience prior to getting hired? How much more college HC experience does Petrino have compared to the other finalists? Is Montana really the premiere job in the BSC still? Recruiting is about relationships, and it would seem that several of those coaches have numerous ties in the PNW, plus a good HC will hire assistants that help in areas necessary. I just think all your points for Petrino are just not huge, or even the advantages you think they are.

bigskywbb said:
ThinkingGriz said:
I believe it will come down to two. Jamie Carey or Mark Campbell. With Mark getting the pick. Any bets on that?

- Petrino is the best fit and could be successful for a long time.
- Carey is the most interesting candidate, but I haven't met her.

Without question I think Lady Griz basketball definitely need a change in leadership.

I feel Campbell and Holsinger are in the best position to know our recruiting areas, have contacts with the coaches in the recruiting areas and are aware of the available talent. How they aren't a good fit at UM is far beyond my ability to understand. I do agree that Carey is an interesting candidate, however, I question how quickly will she get familiar with, and develop relationships with coaches in the recruiting area of the Pacific Northwest and California. To me those are the issues the committee faces.

While I like and have a lot of respect for Coach Petrino. I strongly disagree with the assertion that he is the best fit at this time, however, I sincerely hope he would remain on the staff. Like I said before IMO Lady Griz basketball needs a change in leadership. I think we need to move up a level in identifying talent. We also need to improve our defense. While it seemed obvious that the players played harder and seemed to have better chemistry this year we still didn't get the job done. Results are how a team and its leadership should be measured.

I am also confused as to why Seton Sobolewski, who has been successful at Idaho State wasn't among the finalists. I know that is water under the bridge but he would have definitely gotten a serious look if I was a decision maker which I am not.

I hope we make a decision soon. This is my :twocents:

Latest posts

Back