• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

National Search for New Lady Griz Coach

HelenaHandBasket said:
bigskywbb said:
I'm a big fan of Head Coaching experience for the premiere job in the Big Sky. I know ACs need to get their HC experience somewhere, but that doesn't mean it has to be this job. (Eastern Washinging is a great place for an AC to get HC experience). UM gave Petrino a shot for a little HC experience (I think HS HC experience is valuable as well) and he did an outstanding job in a crazy year in a crazy situation.

(most of my criticisms of Campbell could apply to Carey... please note, I haven't met Coach Carey) Campbell (really good guy) - Why Montana? What connection does he have? Why is he being mentioned for 100 other jobs right now? How does recruiting to Missoula and the Big Sky compare to recruiting to the Pac 12? How does recruiting change when you don't have an unlimited budget or a private plane? How do you go from recruiting 5 star kids to recruiting against Montana State for a kid in Great Falls?

Holsinger (really good guy) - Same recruiting questions as Campbell (going from Pac 12 to Big Sky... and why?). Holsinger does have his two years at Montana Tech(15 years ago... a long time out of the head chair).

Overall - UM is a great job and I'm excited for whomever gets the gig!

Just curious, but do you know how many current BSC had head coaching experience prior to getting hired? How much more college HC experience does Petrino have compared to the other finalists? Is Montana really the premiere job in the BSC still? Recruiting is about relationships, and it would seem that several of those coaches have numerous ties in the PNW, plus a good HC will hire assistants that help in areas necessary. I just think all your points for Petrino are just not huge, or even the advantages you think they are.

I think you're trying to put words in my mouth.
1 - Not many have had HC experience. Are you saying that UM is like other jobs in the Big Sky?
2 - HC Experience - Some > none
3 - Montana is the premiere job in the Big Sky. MSU/Idaho/Idaho State are the current premiere programs.
4 - Yep. Great recruiting relationships in the PNW

Signing day is tomorrow. A decision on the job needs to happen NOW! I know that there are transfers who have expressed interest and, of course, we all worry about losing the Huard girl. These young ladies need to know who would be their coach if they chose UM!

Griz1 said:
bigskywbb said:
- Petrino is the best fit and could be successful for a long time.
- Carey is the most interesting candidate, but I haven't met her.
- Campbell and Holsinger are good assistant coaches that I don't think are a good fit at UM.

Without question I think Lady Griz basketball definitely need a change in leadership.

I feel Campbell and Holsinger are in the best position to know our recruiting areas, have contacts with the coaches in the recruiting areas and are aware of the available talent. How they aren't a good fit at UM is far beyond my ability to understand. I do agree that Carey is an interesting candidate, however, I question how quickly will she get familiar with, and develop relationships with coaches in the recruiting area of the Pacific Northwest and California. To me those are the issues the committee faces.

While I like and have a lot of respect for Coach Petrino. I strongly disagree with the assertion that he is the best fit at this time, however, I sincerely hope he would remain on the staff. Like I said before IMO Lady Griz basketball needs a change in leadership. I think we need to move up a level in identifying talent. We also need to improve our defense. While it seemed obvious that the players played harder and seemed to have better chemistry this year we still didn't get the job done. Results are how a team and its leadership should be measured.

I am also confused as to why Seton Sobolewski, who has been successful at Idaho State wasn't among the finalists. I know that is water under the bridge but he would have definitely gotten a serious look if I was a decision maker which I am not.

I hope we make a decision soon. This is my :twocents:

Look for the decision soon. I whole heartedly agree Mike should stay in some sort of capacity as he was a strong team builder. This aspect is overlooked by many coaches. He also has a huge recruiting range and is tireless in energy. All three assistant coaches did a great job as well especially with our bigs. Not sure about Seaton other than someone made a comment that he wanted a raise where he is at and use this job posting for leverage. A change is coming. It's what should have happened years ago.

Oregon State fan here.

I was told from a very reliable source than Brian Holsinger will be named the next Montana head coach.

I personally think he will be a very good fit at Montana. He has solid experience recruiting Washington, Colorado, Oregon, Texas, and the midwest. Him and Katie Baker-Faulkner are both fantastic recruiters (we signed two kids in 2021 who were both top-12 when they signed and two top-10 2022 recruits).

He knows the area very well, especially eastern Washington. Of course Montana, Idaho, etc. don’t produce a ton of PAC-12 level candidates, but I could see him recruiting really in those areas too. He did pretty well recruiting at Washington State as well.

He also has a strong relationship with Haley Huard’s head coach as we have a 2022 commit from the same high school.

Here is a thread about him from the perspective the parent of a player who just transferred:
https://twitter.com/hollyandpat/status/1380486696626749443?s=21

maroonandsilver said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1382076463784939520

Great hire. I know he was Haslam's target. A culture change for the Lady Griz program.

How is it a culture change?

And he wanted the job all along. Those two facts throw into question the process, in my view.

PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:
Great hire. I know he was Haslam's target. A culture change for the Lady Griz program.

How is it a culture change?

And he wanted the job all along. Those two facts throw into question the process, in my view.
That's right. If he was Haslam's target why didn't he just hire him immediately at the start.

Now he better hit the road and do some recruiting. Signing day is tomorrow.

From a couple Griz fans who like the hire and think like I do:

Should have hired him a year ago. Despite the hiring freeze, there should have been some way to do it. Lucky he was still available this year. Would have saved a lot of issues. Now there are more people out of a job, players who are mad because they liked Mike, potential scramble on this year's recruiting, and boosters who don't feel Mike was given a fair chance.

I don't know how the two schools' pay for their assistants compare, but any rumors/indications that Katie Faulkner might follow Holsinger to UM?

PlayerRep said:
From a couple Griz fans who like the hire and think like I do:

Should have hired him a year ago. Despite the hiring freeze, there should have been some way to do it. Lucky he was still available this year. Would have saved a lot of issues. Now there are more people out of a job, players who are mad because they liked Mike, potential scramble on this year's recruiting, and boosters who don't feel Mike was given a fair chance.

Yes, this should have been done last year (if not, at a minimum weeks ago). But this is just a microcosm of the bureaucratic sh*t show that is the U. To do the simplest thing anywhere at the U takes ten times longer than a couple years ago.

Back