• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Roster Additions

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Kem is referencing the incessant whining about quantity not the concerns about quality.

The “incessant whining” is about having 8-10 quality guys, not constantly wondering who’s going to fill the holes. Do we have 8-10 quality guys? Or are our O-linemen going to have to play 75 snaps a game? Nobody has ever complained about quantity, as far as I know. I’ll worry about quantity once we get 5 that can for a moderately successful STARTING 5.

I am not sure they have 3-4 quality guys. But AZ, next time you refer to them offering a 3 or 4 star OL with offers from FBS schools as a waste, I will realize that "quality" isn't what you are really looking for.

gotgame75 said:
kemajic said:
But the Chicken Littles on here had quite a season whining about our OL situation.

You mean those same chicken littles that have been watching practice and comment that the OL (including our supposed transfer savior @ LT) is being routinely dominated... I know its early, but current signs and past results haven't been exactly promising. Who cares about the # of lineman, its the quality of the position group that matters.

The fact that you think fans being concerned about the state of the OL (which has been the weak link on this team for 5 + years) is being a "chicken little" goes to show that your perception is totally unrealistic. The only way this team gets to where any of us want them to be is if this position group undergoes a massive improvement. But just keep hoping for the best despite close to a decade of lackluster results, seems like a solid plan.

Wasn't yesterday first day of practice with more than sweats and helmets. They went with half pads. The o-line, not wearing full pads and being required to keep everyone on their feet, is being consistently dominated? What a dumb comment.

The o-line has been the weakest position group for the last 5 years. Think running backs last year. Think QB, when our no. 1 qb is down. Thinks corners are few years ago.

gotgame75 said:
kemajic said:
But the Chicken Littles on here had quite a season whining about our OL situation.

You mean those same chicken littles that have been watching practice and comment that the OL (including our supposed transfer savior @ LT) is being routinely dominated... I know its early, but current signs and past results haven't been exactly promising. Who cares about the # of lineman, its the quality of the position group that matters.

The fact that you think fans being concerned about the state of the OL (which has been the weak link on this team for 5 + years) is being a "chicken little" goes to show that your perception is totally unrealistic. The only way this team gets to where any of us want them to be is if this position group undergoes a massive improvement. But just keep hoping for the best despite close to a decade of lackluster results, seems like a solid plan.
Hi 75,
A few questions for you:
- Which posters are you referring to who are attending practices and commenting that all of our o-linemen are getting dominated at practice?
- Since this team clearly isn't going to get to where you want them to be without "massive improvement" from one position group, never mind any other major weaknesses that might have been addressed from the past, what would happen if they have a great season and compete for a title? Will the improvement of multiple areas potentially be attributed to that? Only the O-line?
- Does "massive improvement" at the TE and running back positions have any effect on the running and passing game? The offense in general? The team's success?
- Is quarterback, and backup quarterback vital to the team's success?

I only ask these questions because I believe this year's team can be a contender with improvement in multiple areas. And yes, there has been plenty of talk on here about not having enough o-linemen on the roster, how little they are, and how much they hate their coach. Can they beat NDSU by the end of the season? Not sure about that. I will sure enjoy the journey watching this team establish its identity and improve throughout the season. Also, in the last couple of decades watching practices, I almost never see the o-line dominate the defense in fall practice for a variety of reasons. Not to mention, the Griz have a top 3 defense in the FCS so I would fully expect them to make it hell on our offense all fall.

Copper Griz said:
Lorenzo Brown underachieved in his time at the U of M. Such a disappointment given his potential.

Potential based on what? He never played in college. Was a fairly average FCS recruit out of high school.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Kem is referencing the incessant whining about quantity not the concerns about quality.

The “incessant whining” is about having 8-10 quality guys, not constantly wondering who’s going to fill the holes. Do we have 8-10 quality guys? Or are our O-linemen going to have to play 75 snaps a game? Nobody has ever complained about quantity, as far as I know. I’ll worry about quantity once we get 5 that can for a moderately successful STARTING 5.

AZ,
I know you've stated recently this team will not make it past the quarters in other threads because of the o-line. I think they will. If you're interested in a friendly bet feel free to PM me.

Alaska Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:

AZ,
I know you've stated recently this team will not make it past the quarters in other threads because of the o-line. I think they will. If you're interested in a friendly bet feel free to PM me.

Is quarters final 8? Then yes, i believe that to be true. I don’t think we make it to the semis as the O-line is currently structured. And tho it’s early, 55 doesn’t seem to be the savior at LT.

Name your price. :D

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

I am not sure they have 3-4 quality guys. But AZ, next time you refer to them offering a 3 or 4 star OL with offers from FBS schools as a waste, I will realize that "quality" isn't what you are really looking for.

Well, other schools seem to not have a problem getting them. Or coaching them up. We seem (for the most part) unable to do either.

Alaska Griz said:
Also, in the last couple of decades watching practices, I almost never see the o-line dominate the defense in fall practice for a variety of reasons. Not to mention, the Griz have a top 3 defense in the FCS so I would fully expect them to make it hell on our offense all fall.
What this dude said.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Well, other schools seem to not have a problem getting them. Or coaching them up. We seem (for the most part) unable to do either.

The Griz staff landed exactly zero...zero recruited o-lineman last cycle. Got a couple of walk-ons - clearly "projects" to be developed by Germer. Let's see how that works out.

Game threads are going to be fun this year when the QB is running for his life...as usual. Griz out in quarters. The Griz simply do not and have not had a D1 offensive line for years.

AZGrizFan said:
Alaska Griz said:
AZ,

Is quarters final 8? Then yes, i believe that to be true. I don’t think we make it to the semis as the O-line is currently structured. And tho it’s early, 55 doesn’t seem to be the savior at LT.

#55 - Griz so desperate for linemen - they bring in a dude who hasn't played an offensive snap in how many years? It's friggin' Crazy.

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

#55 - Griz so desperate for linemen - they bring in a dude who hasn't played an offensive snap in how many years? It's friggin' Crazy.

And it shows too. He's decent in the run blocking but his pass blocking skills are miserable. He's got 3 weeks to fix that or Johnson will be running for his life. Sound familiar?

hubcap said:
SoldierGriz said:

And it shows too. He's decent in the run blocking but his pass blocking skills are miserable. He's got 3 weeks to fix that or Johnson will be running for his life. Sound familiar?

Which day(s) were you at practice? What drill(s) were the o-lineman doing? Full pads practices start tomorrow. Left tackle isn't an important position for pass protection anyway,

mthoopsfan said:
hubcap said:

Which day(s) were you at practice? What drill(s) were the o-lineman doing? Full pads practices start tomorrow. Left tackle isn't an important position for pass protection anyway,
34075341282_922a5ffb6d_b.jpg

hubcap said:
SoldierGriz said:

Hubcap,
I assume you are basing this off of the drills they have run in practice so far? If so, that's quite the conclusion. The young man hasn't even taken a single game rep for the Griz and you guys are already bashing him. No reason to let the guy prove himself like every other player on the team. Good form!

uofmman1122 said:
mthoopsfan said:

It's probably from one of the great football minds on the board. Soldier, Sask, Alabama, Ursa and Everett.

uofmman1122 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Yes, according to this article, left tackle is the 2nd most important offensive position behind a QB:

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/ranking-each-position-s-importance-from-quarterback-to-returner-0ap3000000503855

You guys are all crazy...it's because the QB will be learning to throw left handed before the first game. It's a secret that only he knew...so yes, LT is NOT important...it is the RT that is going to be important in pass protection.

Back