• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Roster Additions

SoldierGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
I'm not a big SM guy, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I'm sure they've tweeted it out before, but that doesn't mean UM has officially announced it, or that Hauck is willing to discuss it. As I noted above, they usually do a presentation and announcement at the GGE.

...and none of that matters because the tradition belongs to 37s. They announce when they want to.

Pretty sure they did announce it, but it won't officially happen until the ceremony.

EverettGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
...and none of that matters because the tradition belongs to 37s. They announce when they want to.

Evidently they don't.

You know who it is correct? So, evidently they did and have done for a long...time.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:

Pretty sure they did announce it, but it won't officially happen until the ceremony.

So, they will make an announcement to announce what has already been announced by the only one who can announce it? Got it.

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

So, they will make an announcement to announce what has already been announced by the only one who can announce it? Got it.

Yep that is what I said. Sorry it is such a difficult thing for you.

Maybe Lewis made the choice based on friendship instead of the other factors and Bobby is stepping in?? Or it's all a distraction...

200w.webp

Griz Addict said:
Maybe Lewis made the choice based on friendship instead of the other factors and Bobby is stepping in?? Or it's all a distraction...

Maybe Welnel is doing the honorable thing and gifting it to O’Connell. He’s definitely honored to receive it but he might realize that O’Connell is more deserving. Can’t believe no one has considered this. Did no one see Welnel’s response to the question of why he’s not wearing it? That’s not a response of someone who is possibly having the most honored tradition at Montana stripped from him by a coach that wants his kid to wear it.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:

It's not what you said. It has already been "officially" announced by the only one who can announce it...

Try to keep up.

garizzalies said:
SoldierGriz said:
Who is consulting? There are only 2 people involved in the process. #37 and the new #37.
Wrong-o. Bobby has been “involved in the process” from the beginning.

From the “origin” story:
The jersey was passed to Hauck over beers with Kraig and Bobby at Red’s Bar in downtown Missoula.
https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/37-for-37-inside-the-rise-dominance-and-meaning-of-montanas-no-37-jersey-now/article_51882d35-dde1-5afc-bc6f-b0492dd0dc34.amp.html

Wonder how Bobby was consulted during his time away from the program?

After listening to the interviews, I think this has to do with NIL money. There is likely some deal-making going on, and they are making sure compliance is tight.

I can't think of any other reason.

SoldierGriz said:
After listening to the interviews, I think this has to do with NIL money. There is likely some deal-making going on, and they are making sure compliance is tight.

I thought I had heard that the school announced right after this NIL stuff started that they had the rights to 37 and that an individual student couldn’t profit off of being 37.

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

It's not what you said. It has already been "officially" announced by the only one who can announce it...

Try to keep up.

I never disputed that. What I did say is now they will wait to change numbers until the Encounter. Try to keep up.

alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

I thought I had heard that the school announced right after this NIL stuff started that they had the rights to 37 and that an individual student couldn’t profit off of being 37.

Source?

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:

Try to keep up.

I never disputed that. What I did say is now they will wait to change numbers until the Encounter. Try to keep up.

Sure thing. I'll do my best to understand your gibberish in the future.

alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

This is the only thing I found in UM's NIL Policy:

"E. University Intellectual Property i.The University of Montana owns copyright and trademark rights in several words, phrases, seals, logos, graphic devices, and artwork. For example, “Montana Grizzlies” is one of many federally protected trademarks of UM. Student‐athletes must receive prior written approval and follow University protocol, including licensing procedures to use such intellectual property from the UM Trademark and Licensing Office. (Wearing a UM uniform or item of clothing with a UM logo in a NIL activity is an example that would require prior approval."

Seems to me 37 can wear it - as long as approval is granted. This is the same for any player wanting to appear in Griz gear of any sort....Of course, 37 might have bigger opportunities given the tradition.

EverettGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
Name a time in the social media age when #37 does not announce it...the tradition doesn't belong to anyone but 37s.

I'm not a big SM guy, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I'm sure they've tweeted it out before, but that doesn't mean UM has officially announced it, or that Hauck is willing to discuss it. As I noted above, they usually do a presentation and announcement at the GGE.
They've definitely announced and worn it before that in the past.

When Jesse Sims got it in 2018, it was announced at the spring game, and he wore it the whole time after that during fall camp.

Not sure what is holding it up, but I've said for a while that the school has taken a lot more control of it since Carson Bender had it, which was referenced in a Kaimin article from earlier this year where Ryan Fetherston said the coaches and school tried to offer it to other players, but they all declined because they wanted Carson to pick. The 37 jersey has become very profitable for UM (it's the only jersey number they can sell right now, unless that's suddenly changed), so they're going to make sure it's not going to a guy that's not highly visible.

I think Welnel is perfect for it, but I guess we'll see if it changes.

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Sure thing. I'll do my best to understand your gibberish in the future.

Nah, you will continue to ignore things that don't fit your narrative. Nice try though.

I wonder if there is some discussion about how revenues from the jersey will be divided. I wonder what legal protections, if any, UM has on the jersey and related promo? With NIL, it seems there could be a bit of a tug-of-war. At a minimum, it would seem that the wearer could wear and profit off it for his NIL promos.

uofmman1122 said:
EverettGriz said:
They've definitely announced and worn it before that in the past.

When Jesse Sims got it in 2018, it was announced at the spring game, and he wore it the whole time after that during fall camp.

Not sure what is holding it up, but I've said for a while that the school has taken a lot more control of it since Carson Bender had it, which was referenced in a Kaimin article from earlier this year where Ryan Fetherston said the coaches and school tried to offer it to other players, but they all declined because they wanted Carson to pick. The 37 jersey has become very profitable for UM (it's the only jersey number they can sell right now, unless that's suddenly changed), so they're going to make sure it's not going to a guy that's not highly visible.

I think Welnel is perfect for it, but I guess we'll see if it changes.

Was right after Pflugrad took over. Players had to teach the new guy....and they did. From the Kaimin:

"Fetherston said when he was given the number from defensive tackle Carson Bender, Head Coach Bobby Hauck had just left his first tenure at UM. When coach Robin Pflugrad took over, Fetherston remembered, the new staff had tried to “sit on the number” and influence its line of succession."

“When the new coaching staff came in, they believed they had a decision to make on who wore 37,” Fetherston said. “They offered it to multiple people and they turned it down, because it was Carson’s decision, not theirs."

Latest posts

Back