• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Open Practices

alabamagrizzly said:
Colin Bonnicksen said:
Hello E-Grizzers --

It was brought to the coaching staff's attention that there has been some talk of personnel, formations and injuries on this board in regards to what has been seen at practice.

While we love the enthusiasm our fans have shown, please understand that we do not want any of this information getting on the internet. We also have "No Cell Phone Use" signs up and around the stadium for the same reasons.

Should this continue, we will be forced to close practices moving forward. We don't want that, and you don't want that, so lets make sure it doesn't come to that point.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. I hope to see all of you at practices in the future and on behalf of the entire coaching staff I want to thank you for your past and continued support of this program.

-- Go Griz! RTD!

Colin Bonnicksen
Director of Football Operations

Colin, I appreciate the attempt but you can’t just go to an insane asylum and just ask the patients to act normal.

I guess there is no way then to keep someone from posting this kind of information.....ONCE.

Stitt wasn’t or isn’t the only coach in the United States want practices limited in regards to information release.

You’d be amazed what a savvy football coach can do with some credible twitter and forum posting. Doesn’t give them a leg up in games, but rather in the accumulation of intelligence. The more they know. Most programs have a grad assistant that looks for nuggets, because some of it can help in game prep.

Bobby like Read before him, loved springing things on teams that they didn’t expect. The UI game where they came out in the wing T and ran veer is a perfect example of that. In this era of full disclosure on Twitter and forum boards the only way that would be possible is if they closed practices.

Sometimes the difference between winning and losing, is one or two hidden tweeks, personnel adjustments or the like.

This isn’t about Stitt, really it is about what fans think they are entiteled to know. Coaches primary responsibility is first to their players, the program and school. Fans unfortunately probably sit pretty low on that list in regards to what we should know. I’d say be happy that you are allowed back in to watch practices.

Seems like major overkill. If the enemy wanted intel that badly, they could easily have that grad asst go to practice, or find someone in Montana willing to go, then learn it privately. It stops nothing, so either close practice or stop whining. I personally couldn't give two shits about watching practice.

Injuries, totally get that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me that anything happening this time of year is so generic as to be useless to any opponent next fall. And really anything that might be kept secret won't be so much after the first game. I can see closing practices during the season, especially before conference games. Right now I'd have to believe that the only reason you'd want to consider closing practices is if you believe your team was going to be gawd-awful and there was no hope of change. If that is the case, please close practices to delay eGriz posters from committing hara-kiri before the season even starts. There will be plenty of time for that later...

Grisly Fan said:
It seems to me that anything happening this time of year is so generic as to be useless to any opponent next fall. And really anything that might be kept secret won't be so much after the first game. I can see closing practices during the season, especially before conference games. Right now I'd have to believe that the only reason you'd want to consider closing practices is if you believe your team was going to be gawd-awful and there was no hope of change. If that is the case, please close practices to delay eGriz posters from committing hara-kiri before the season even starts. There will be plenty of time for that later...

I am curious who has the job on Bobby's staff to scour every message board, twitter, facebook, etc, etc. and find relevant information that may actually give the griz a competetive advantage? How much time and effort do programs actually commit to this now?

Definite uphill battle keeping things off social media, but if it can work anywhere, it can work for the Griz.

Griz fans LOVE to have information they "just can't share." The smart play for UM would be to make fans who attend practices feel like they are very far behind the velvet rope and entrusted with very sensitive information. "If you're here, you're part of this with us, and you need to have the same discretion as the actual players with what you see."

Then, watch the content of eGriz practice reports change into "something big happened; can't disclose specifics, but stay tuned".

You have know the audience if you want to control the narrative.

Bobby just tweeted the same thing as Colin said. It is certainly enjoyable and exciting to hear about the team, but I clearly understand the confidential nature of the program. This Griz junkie will have to focus on my Jeeps and spring baseball to get by. Keep getting better boys. # RTD. GO GRIZ!

But I really wanna talk about the triple option offense that we are implementing!!! It’s gonna be true ground and pound. We didn’t throw a pass all practice!

If the coaching staff doesn't want info shared, then they should just close the practices. I don't think you can have it both ways.

I fully support whatever the coaching staff decide. I am curious however....what exactly will we see at the spring game? Drills? It would seem to me that is where we all expect to learn more about the
offensive and defensive schemes and watch the athletes perform within that framework. Unless of course we will see Stitt's offense and Seymour's defense for a couple of hours. Now that would throw egriz into a meltdown and would be hysterical!

https://twitter.com/coach_hauck/status/972200894182834176?s=21

dayday said:

That's the kind of message I was thinking about.
Much more insider-ish than the one in the OP. "Under your hat", etc. Perfect.
That should do it.

CDAGRIZ said:
dayday said:

That should do it.

I hear they are running strictly a 6-4-1 on defense and the offense will not feature the forward pass.

dayday said:
CDAGRIZ said:
dayday said:

That should do it.

I hear they are running strictly a 6-4-1 on defense and the offense will not feature the forward pass.

That's not entirely correct. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not at liberty to say anything further. Stay tuned.

CDAGRIZ said:
dayday said:
CDAGRIZ said:
dayday said:

That should do it.

That's not entirely correct. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not at liberty to say anything further. Stay tuned.

I know just being sarcastic and unhelpful.

grizfan47 said:
I fully support whatever the coaching staff decide. I am curious however....what exactly will we see at the spring game? Drills? It would seem to me that is where we all expect to learn more about the
offensive and defensive schemes and watch the athletes perform within that framework. Unless of course we will see Stitt's offense and Seymour's defense for a couple of hours. Now that would throw egriz into a meltdown and would be hysterical!

I can see it now. First play from scrimmage, QB in the shotgun. JLM goes in motion, QB does the hand clap to hike the ball & it is a bubble screen for minus 1 yard. Imagine the boos that would ran down on that one :lol:

Back