• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Season: Expectations unmet

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Says the guy who sets the “success” bar at a certain # of wins.

Actually, i do to…it’s 15. 15 wins in a season. THAT is success. Playing in January. That is success. Winning your last game. In January. THAT is success.
I hate to be that guy, but it seems only one current member of the FCS has had any success over the past 10+ years, then. :lol:

Nice to hear we aren't really falling behind MSU at all, if that's the case. ;)

Yes, I realize that. But the arbitrary bar of “10 win seasons” is comical. We’re in year 5 of RTD and we still can’t get past the first round of the playoffs. We still can’t win the conference. And we still can’t beat the ‘Scats. Bobby is 0-3 in his supposed “goals” upon returning.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
I hate to be that guy, but it seems only one current member of the FCS has had any success over the past 10+ years, then. :lol:

Yes, I realize that. But the arbitrary bar of “10 win seasons” is comical. We’re in year 5 of RTD and we still can’t get past the first round of the playoffs. We still can’t win the conference. And we still can’t beat the ‘Scats. Bobby is 0-3 in his supposed “goals” upon returning.

We got past the first round (second actually) last year and in '19, and beat the scats last year. Not saying that should be our ceiling, just "correcting the record".

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

UM beat the Cats last season, badly. 1-1 against the new Cat coach. There have been only 4 football seasons. Playoffs 3 years in a row. Nobody said RTD would occur overnight. This season had the potential for a big year, but having the qb get hurt put a damper on that. Winning the conference is a virtually meaningless goal. The team that has been winning the conference has only 1 playoff win so far.

Htowngriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

We got past the first round (second actually) last year and in '19, and beat the scats last year. Not saying that should be our ceiling, just "correcting the record".

The facts don't fit with his narrative.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

No other coach would be given this amount of latitude. The "average" season under Hauck 2.0 used to be a down year.

I hate to say it because I don't like the guy, but Choate completely rebuilt the program at msu into what it is today with extremely limited shelf stock. And it took four years.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

The point of the 10-win thing is that since Bobby left and before he came back, we had 2 10-win seasons in 8 years, and now have 2 in the last 3. No I don't think that's good enough. Let me repeat because I don't want this to get lost :lol: : no, I don't think a 10-win season bar is good enough. But you and other keep acting like nothing has changed, which just isn't true. Hell, we've won a playoff game every year we've gone to the playoffs under Bobby since he came back, so you're not even right in that criticism. Again, that's not good enough, but why do you have to criticize things that aren't true? It just makes your points fall flat and sound like spite more than anything else.

So that's my main problem with a lot of what I'm seeing on here (and twitter, facebook, etc.) from angry fans. It's perfectly fine to say "we aren't where we should be, and we need to do better", and that's 100% on Bobby and the staff, but there are so many people just saying the weirdest things that aren't true.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
The point of the 10-win thing is that since Bobby left and before he came back, we had 2 10-win seasons in 8 years, and now have 2 in the last 3. No I don't think that's good enough. Let me repeat because I don't want this to get lost :lol: : no, I don't think a 10-win season bar is good enough. But you and other keep acting like nothing has changed, which just isn't true. Hell, we've won a playoff game every year we've gone to the playoffs under Bobby since he came back, so you're not even right in that criticism. Again, that's not good enough, but why do you have to criticize things that aren't true? It just makes your points fall flat and sound like spite more than anything else.

So that's my main problem with a lot of what I'm seeing on here (and twitter, facebook, etc.) from angry fans. It's perfectly fine to say "we aren't where we should be, and we need to do better", and that's 100% on Bobby and the staff, but there are so many people just saying the weirdest things that aren't true.

Great post. Well-stated. I, of course, agree.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Everything I said is 100% true. We can’t get past the first round. Lost in 2nd round every time. And I’ve never said things haven’t changed. I HAVE said that any other coach that came in here and was finishing 6th place in YEAR FIVE wouldn’t have a job or would be forced to make major changes to keep his job. Do you think Bobby is going to do that, or be forced by Haslam to do that?

Oh, and the three goals are straight from Bobby’s mouth:

1) Win BSC championships
2) Beat the ‘Scats
3) Deep playoff runs

He’s 0-5 on #1, 1-3 on #2 and 0-5 on #3. So 1-13 overall.

Fucking AWESOME.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Everything I said is 100% true. We can’t get past the first round. Lost in 2nd round every time. And I’ve never said things haven’t changed. I HAVE said that any other coach that came in here and was finishing 6th place in YEAR FIVE wouldn’t have a job or would be forced to make major changes to keep his job. Do you think Bobby is going to do that, or be forced by Haslam to do that?

1) Win BSC championships
2) Beat the ‘Scats
3) Deep playoff runs

f###[#] AWESOME.
I don’t agree with the idea that anyone else would be getting fired for Bobby’s performance, but maybe they might be asked to make changes after a year like this. We also still don’t know if he’s been asked to make changes or not (probably not).

We’ve been to the quarterfinals (the 3rd round of the playoffs) in 2 of the last 3 seasons, which is the first time we’ve even got there since 2011. Once again, not what I’d consider a deep run, but “we can’t get past the 2nd round” just isn’t true. What’s a deep playoff run? To the semifinals or later? I’d probably agree with that.

And also, again, it’s not the biggest deal, but saying he’s 0-5 in two of those categories when he’s only coached 4 seasons is just another thing that makes me go “come on”. :lol:

I think it’s fair to call out this regime on those results based on the expectations they set for themselves, but acting like those results in a vacuum would be worthy of any coach losing their job is just not correct, IMO. I think any other coach would be in a similar position: the shine is starting to come off and he needs to prove he can get it done, or there will be consequences.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:

1) Win BSC championships
2) Beat the ‘Scats
3) Deep playoff runs

f###[#] AWESOME.
I don’t agree with the idea that anyone else would be getting fired for Bobby’s performance, but maybe they might be asked to make changes after a year like this. We also still don’t know if he’s been asked to make changes or not (probably not).

We’ve been to the quarterfinals (the 3rd round of the playoffs) in 2 of the last 3 seasons, which is the first time we’ve even got there since 2011. Once again, not what I’d consider a deep run, but “we can’t get past the 2nd round” just isn’t true. What’s a deep playoff run? To the semifinals or later? I’d probably agree with that.

And also, again, it’s not the biggest deal, but saying he’s 0-5 in two of those categories when he’s only coached 4 seasons is just another thing that makes me go “come on”. :lol:

I think it’s fair to call out this regime on those results based on the expectations they set for themselves, but acting like those results in a vacuum would be worthy of any coach losing their job is just not correct, IMO. I think any other coach would be in a similar position: the shine is starting to come off and he needs to prove he can get it done, or there will be consequences.
I will admit when I’m wrong and I’d forgotten that ‘19 and ‘21 we didn’t play in a play-in game, so technically we lost in the 3rd round. And “technically” I’d call that a qasi-deep playoff run. Perhaps my issue lies more in the fact that we’ve been surpassed by Sac, MSU, Weber, and now Idaho and most likely UCD. That and his BSC performance trend have me concerned. Now, the field may be leveling a bit with Sac and Weber both losing their HC is the past week, but that doesn’t change the fact that we are now a distant #2 in our own state….guess we shall see.

And I agree with your last paragraph completely.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

I will admit when I’m wrong and I’d forgotten that ‘19 and ‘21 we didn’t play in a play-in game, so technically we lost in the 3rd round. And “technically” I’d call that a qasi-deep playoff run. Perhaps my issue lies more in the fact that we’ve been surpassed by Sac, MSU, Weber, and now Idaho and most likely UCD. That and his BSC performance trend have me concerned. Now, the field may be leveling a bit with Sac and Weber both losing their HC is the past week, but that doesn’t change the fact that we are now a distant #2 in our own state….guess we shall see.

Technicalities are all I have at this point to make me feel better. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

UM certainly hasn’t been surpassed by Idaho and Davis.

I wouldn’t say UM has been surpassed by those other schools either. Sac has won one playoff game ever. Weber is out of playoffs just like UM. We will see how Cats do tonight.

Oh and one more thing, and I don't think we've been "passed" by Sac and Weber.

Their coaches are leaving, and I would not be shocked at all if they, especially Sac, slipped back into the basement again. They've overachieved for the last 3-6 years.

We thought UCD passed us in 2018, and then we pasted them in 2019 and have finished better than them in every subsequent season (I'm counting making the playoffs and winning a game as better, don't yell "6TH PLACE" at me :lol: ). With Idaho it remains to be seen. If they finish above us in the conference again next year, I'll admit it's not a good sign.

We have absolutely been passed by MSU, though.

BozAngelesGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

No other coach would be given this amount of latitude. The "average" season under Hauck 2.0 used to be a down year.

I hate to say it because I don't like the guy, but Choate completely rebuilt the program at msu into what it is today with extremely limited shelf stock. And it took four years.

You shouldn't say it. Other than beating the Griz, Choates numbers do not back saying "completely rebuilt the program." He was 28-22 in 4 seasons with the Cats, a step backwards from Ash who was 31-18 in his last 4 years. How is that rebuilding?

wyomingriz said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

You shouldn't say it. Other than beating the Griz, Choates numbers do not back saying "completely rebuilt the program." He was 28-22 in 4 seasons with the Cats, a step backwards from Ash who was 31-18 in his last 4 years. How is that rebuilding?
He took them to the semis, something Ron never did, and a lot of the momentum Choate built helped Vigen's teams not miss a beat (apart from when he wanted to go with a more balanced offense in 2021 and we helped him realize his mistake).

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

UM beat the Cats last season, badly. 1-1 against the new Cat coach. There have been only 4 football seasons. Playoffs 3 years in a row. Nobody said RTD would occur overnight. This season had the potential for a big year, but having the qb get hurt put a damper on that. Winning the conference is a virtually meaningless goal. The team that has been winning the conference has only 1 playoff win so far.

Bobby will always be .500 against the other coaches because the good ones are getting better jobs. Bobby is a .500 coach.

uofmman1122 said:
wyomingriz said:
He took them to the semis, something Ron never did, and a lot of the momentum Choate built helped Vigen's teams not miss a beat (apart from when he wanted to go with a more balanced offense in 2021 and we helped him realize his mistake).

That's a little arbitrary, just based on facts which are win/losses, no he did not rebuild. If we are going to speculate i would argue that Choate would not have reached the chipper last year because i don't believe he would have ran with Mellott. Again, just my opinion but MSU upgraded with Vigen. I don't understand the love affair Cats have with Choate, at some point they need to let go and appreciate Vigen

wyomingriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

That's a little arbitrary, just based on facts which are win/losses, no he did not rebuild. If we are going to speculate i would argue that Choate would not have reached the chipper last year because i don't believe he would have ran with Mellott. Again, just my opinion but MSU upgraded with Vigen. I don't understand the love affair Cats have with Choate, at some point they need to let go and appreciate Vigen
I'm sorry, but he's 100% the reason why they are where they are right now. Vigen didn't build the foundation. Choate did.

poorgriz said:
Griz66 said:
It is so nice to hear a voice of reason and a nice objective evaluation.. I think all of us are disappointed with this season and some changes with the staff need to be made. Bobby is not going anywhere and all of you need to accept that and move on and be more supportive so we can be in a better position next year. The other option is to become Kitty fans and watch their upward trend begin to disappear. Remember last year last year after the Cat beatdown everything was wonderful in Griz land and the cat fans wanted to get rid of Vigen and the OC. My how things change in the world of egriz and bobcat nation

No evidence of that happening, but I guess we'll see how it plays out. Yep, last year the griz kicked Cats' ass. Vigen didn't say anything about his QB being off, or sick, or injured, or anything of the nature. He manned up, admitted we got spanked, and immediately made a change at QB. Then you know the rest of the story, rolled through an incredible run to Frisco and then again, got our asses kicked. Once again, Vigen made no excuses about our star QB breaking his foot in the first drive, but rather just owned that we got our asses kicked (Knows it was his fault we didn't have a capable backup QB), end of story. Then he met with the team and said OK, you know what it's like to get here, and you probably know what's going to take to win it all. Then the coaches and players went to work and redoubled efforts, working their asses off because they knew the product we put on the field last year wasn't good enough.

Did they do enough? We'll know soon enough. I like this team, and they appear to be getting better the deeper we get into December and January.

Well to be accurate , Sixx only made the QB change after the number one got pummeled by the GRIZ and quit.

Back