• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ribs Recipe

Cuervohola

DONOR
This is a new one I'm about to try... This recipe is for 6 racks of ribs, so adjust accordingly if using less...

Boil Ribs for an hour... Full rolling... Marinate with what you want, Cool in fridge while preparing rub... I use 30 minute marinades, but keep it all night anyway... Plastic wrap over a glass dish... I keep the rub in a glass jar, pre mixed so I don't have to deal with that the next day... I use propane at all times...

Rub:

1/4 cup Garlic Powder
1/4 cup Turmeric
1/4 cup Paprika
1/4 cup ground Celery Seed
1/4 cup ground Marjoram
1/4 cup Emirils or Johnny's
2 tsp. Onion powder
2 tsp. Ground cloves
2 tsp Ground Cumin

1/4 cup Cayenne if you like it hot... I use 90K, but 35K will do the job

When you're ready to smoke, rub... No need to let them sit anymore, but some say to give it an hour for the rub to "Soak in"...

Smoke slow and low, about 170, switching chips when needed, flipping racks every 30 minutes or so, I do apple for 3 hours, finished with hickory for 3 more... Mesquite when I feel like it... I use beer also in the smoker...

Sides... Corn on the cob for an hour, turned every 10 minutes or so, Garlic Bread or Texas Toast at the end...

Marinade the following at the same time as the ribs: All to your specs...

Aidell's Sausage, cut up
Brown Sugar
Molasses
Olive or Grapeseed oil... (Grapeseed has a much higher smoking point for the side burner)
Emirils
Carmelized onions and chopped up bell pepper
Banana pepper rings
Lime or Lemon or both

Some slow cook that in a crockpot... I only do that if I'm not grilling or smoking... I prefer the side burner

Let me know if you try it, and if it Rocks

Friends don't let friends boil ribs :shock:

If you haven't heard of it, try the 3-2-1 method.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I heard this was Marvin Williams' father's recipe... Don't know the truth on that, and don't know the family, but know a few that do in Bremerton... If it's true, Ironic that a UNC fan is the first to reply...

I heard it was badass, so I'll find out... Boiling before supposedly makes them like butter... No need to knaw at the bone

I've never boiled my ribs and the meat falls off the bone.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

grizfnz said:

True, boiling is a way to cheat and get low and slow tenderness the fast way. If you go low and slow, no need to boil.

Well, Culinary experimenting is the whole key... If you find something that works, go with it... The ribs are marinated, so they will be good anyway, but I want that extra kick

Cuervohola said:
Well, Culinary experimenting is the whole key... If you find something that works, go with it... The ribs are marinated, so they will be good anyway, but I want that extra kick
Let us know how they turn out.

They are looking good, but with the boiling, they were done to begin with... I'm just wondering how long to smoke them... It's been 2 hours now, I'm just used to smoking raw... Trial and error I guess, hopefully no error...

I did notice the rub didn't really want to "Play along", so next time, I'll incorporate that into the marinade

grizfnz said:

3 2 1 method uses the "texas crutch" ???? :eek:

Hammer said:
grizfnz said:

Sent from my
ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

3 2 1 method uses the "texas crutch" ???? :eek:

I figured you'd get a kick out of that:lol::lol:

gocats said:

If your ribs fall off the bone they are overcooked. You should be able to take a bite of the rib and all of the meat should stay right where it is except the spot where you took your bite.

Cuervohola said:
This is a new one I'm about to try... This recipe is for 6 racks of ribs, so adjust accordingly if using less...

Boil Ribs for an hour... Full rolling... Marinate with what you want, Cool in fridge while preparing rub... I use 30 minute marinades, but keep it all night anyway... Plastic wrap over a glass dish... I keep the rub in a glass jar, pre mixed so I don't have to deal with that the next day... I use propane at all times...

Rub:

1/4 cup Garlic Powder
1/4 cup Turmeric
1/4 cup Paprika
1/4 cup ground Celery Seed
1/4 cup ground Marjoram
1/4 cup Emirils or Johnny's
2 tsp. Onion powder
2 tsp. Ground cloves
2 tsp Ground Cumin

1/4 cup Cayenne if you like it hot... I use 90K, but 35K will do the job

When you're ready to smoke, rub... No need to let them sit anymore, but some say to give it an hour for the rub to "Soak in"...

Smoke slow and low, about 170, switching chips when needed, flipping racks every 30 minutes or so, I do apple for 3 hours, finished with hickory for 3 more... Mesquite when I feel like it... I use beer also in the smoker...
Dry rubs come in varying forms. The only thing that I do different before applying the rub is rubbing the ribs down with mustard. Then let that dry to where it is tacky before you put your dry rub on.
Try Hickory in place of Mesquite. It doesn't impart the bitterness that Mesquite does.

Also, FUK that crockpot or boiling crap!!! :mrgreen:

polsongrizz said:
gocats said:

If your ribs fall off the bone they are overcooked. You should be able to take a bite of the rib and all of the meat should stay right where it is except the spot where you took your bite.

Fine, as long as it doesn't stick in the teeth... My boiled ones didn't... I'm sold

One of the few things I don't do is cook ribs.

So, my sophisticated taste buds demand that I only eat ribs from these three GREAT places; Famous Dave's, Dickey's, or grizfnz's tailgate! :coffee:

Grizo406 said:

So, my sophisticated taste buds demand that I only eat ribs from these three GREAT places; Famous Dave's, Dickey's, or grizfnz's tailgate! :coffee:

Haven't tried grizfnzs (although I'm sure they are top notch) or Dickeys but Famous Daves ribs are marginal at best. And I have had them in Missoula, Billings and Blowsman, and although they were ok they can't touch the ones I smoke at home. I'm sure grizfnz will agree.

I agree with hammer. Famous Dave's is not the place for ribs. My friends and family would rather have mine. Rib cook off hammer? Cat/griz tailgate maybe.

I was out of the Rib "Liking" crowd for years because my only choice was Tony Roma's... Garbage in my opinion, besides... I hate the Cowboys :lol: Never had Dave's

Once my friends started smoking, I started paying attention... I'd do a Griz / Cat smoke off, but unfortunately my smoker is attached to a 5 burner grill... I ain't moving it!!!

Try my recipe... If you don't like it, I'll pay you exactly $0 :thumb:

Hammer said:
Grizo406 said:

Haven't tried grizfnzs (although I'm sure they are top notch) or Dickeys but Famous Daves ribs are marginal at best. And I have had them in Missoula, Billings and Blowsman, and although they were ok they can't touch the ones I smoke at home. I'm sure grizfnz will agree.
I concur, famous Dave's, tony romas, chills, tgi fridays, applebees....$hitty ribs. About the only "chain" ribs I ever had that were good were from Gates & Sons in KC.

grizfnz said:
Hammer said:
Grizo406 said:

I concur, famous Dave's, tony romas, chills, tgi fridays, applebees....$hitty ribs. About the only "chain" ribs I ever had that were good were from Gates & Sons in KC.

as for the chain restaurants, the riblets at applebees are the best I have tried, and they too are marginal.

Although not a chain, Freds Mesquite Grill in Butte produces some mighty fine ribs! if in Butte I highly recommend!

Latest posts

Back