• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ribs Recipe

My taste buds DO NOT lie!

As far as quality, taste, atmosphere/good conversation, and presentation of said ribs, I'm goin' with grizfnz's tailgate at #1, followed by Dickey's and then Famous Dave's! In that order...smoke ring or not!

Best ribs I've EVER had? Porker's in Chattanooga...circa 2008!

4e7b48ef-ce51-46d8-9a70-c9eb35c758f2.jpg

Now comes the age old question that will surely divide this conversation. St Louis cut or babybacks???? I like both but if I have to pick I'll take babybacks!

Grizo406 said:
My taste buds DO NOT lie!

As far as quality, taste, atmosphere/good conversation, and presentation of said ribs, I'm goin' with grizfnz's tailgate at #1, followed by Dickey's and then Famous Dave's! In that order...smoke ring or not!

Best ribs I've EVER had? Porker's in Chattanooga...circa 2008!

4e7b48ef-ce51-46d8-9a70-c9eb35c758f2.jpg

I have to second this. Ate there four times in my two visits to Chatty!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hammer. I have to agree with you on the St Louis vs baby back question. I usually get a rack or two of spare ribs just cause of the sheer size of the ribs but I've smoked up a few racks of babys and oh man...so damn good. With the babys I've found that I need to spritz them with apple juice every hour or so to keep them from drying out. As far as wood goes, I feel like you can't go wrong with hickory or apple wood. Mesquite sucks...unless you like your ribs to have a dirty aftertaste (and when I say dirty, I don't mean in a good way).

With all that being said, I've got a rack of spare ribs thawing as we speak. Gonna throw some rub on them and get 'em to smokin' here in the next few hours. Whenever I do ribs I also whip up a big dish of wicked beans that I put on the lower rack of the smoker to catch the drippings. I'm not gonna lie to you...I've got a serious hangover right now but I'm gonna turn it into a positive with the help of my smoker. Pics will be coming to this thread. Snap.......out.

While you are smoking, if you have room, throw in a glass dish filled with your favorite oil like olive or grapeseed or whatever...

Makes for an excellent omelette :thumb:

Cuervo. I've got a pretty small smoker. The top rack has the ribs on it (I have to cut the ribs in half to fit a full rack on it) and the lower rack will have a aluminum pan with the beans. It's a tight squeeze but I could probably find room for a small dish for the oil. That's a great idea. I'm just now getting the smoker up to temp and should be throwing the ribs on in about 20 minutes. I'm behind schedule but what can I say, I'm hung over. At this rate I'll be running the smoker til about midnight...which is fine by me.

So snap, I'm thinking you have a little chief??? Amazingly, my smoker built into my grill holds more ribs than a little chief... I always have to cut them in half though... I'm close to going crazy and getting a restaurant grade smoker, but I don't know if they have propane / NG models... And I don't have room...

Let us know how it turns out

Cuervo. The smoker is a masterbuilt. Vertical with two racks. I just put the ribs on and will be putting the beans below them in another hour or so. I'll take a few pics and try to figure out how to post them to give you an idea of the setup.

Cool, snap... Mine is a Brinkmann, but has the 5 burner grill attached, hence not a lot of room for chips and water or beer... I have to flip the ribs every 30 minutes and change the chips every 45 or so... Not a big deal, but I want to get a little chief to do more

Cuervohola said:
Love your signature by the way, Snap... RON PAUL REVOLUTION

Yeah, that's one of my favorite TJ quotes (although its never been proved that he even said it). Ron Paul? He's way too much of a straight shooter to ever be a serious candidate for President. Which is a bummer. I was hoping for much better things out of Obama but he's in way over his head and the end of his term can't come soon enough. Politics fucking sucks...but enough about that, we've got ribs on the smoker!

Yeah, Rand Paul will probably run in 16, if not, I hope Ted Cruz or Justin Amash do... TJ probably said that, he was the first and foremost libertarian...

You guys ever smoke up a tray of wicked beans? It's amazing. Take a big can of baked beans and add bacon, onion, green pepper, jalapenos, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Mix it all together and voila! Wicked beans. So good. Especially when smoked under the ribs. I'm making it right now (which is why I ask).

I'm frying up the bacon as we speak. When that's done, I sautee up the onion, bell pepper and japs. Add it to the beans and other stuff in a big bowl, stir it around, put it in the aluminum tray and get it on the smoker. I usually give the ribs a hour or two head start.

PS. What could be better than hanging out on the porch drinking beer, smoking ribs and doing a (slow) play by play on egriz. Word up my niggaz. (that's a term of endearment, not a racial epithet).

snap said:
I'm frying up the bacon as we speak. When that's done, I sautee up the onion, bell pepper and japs. Add it to the beans and other stuff in a big bowl, stir it around, put it in the aluminum tray and get it on the smoker. I usually give the ribs a hour or two head start.

PS. What could be better than hanging out on the porch drinking beer, smoking ribs and doing a (slow) play by play on egriz. Word up my niggaz. (that's a term of endearment, not a racial epithet).

sounds like you do your beans about the same as me. I buy the bacon ends and pieces at the local butcher shop for my bacon, bigger chunks. I also save my burnt ends from my briskets for my next batch of beans. add some onions, green pepper, jalapenos, throw in some brown sugar and ketchup and a few other things mix it all up and throw it in the smoker. Good stuff!!!

Oh hell yeah! Just got the beans in place. Ribs are looking great. Temp is holding at around 210. Gonna give the ribs another hour or so, wrap them in foil and...continue to drink beer.

What's up Hammer? I'm taking my beans a notch or two farther than I have in the past. I went with three japs and didn't remove the seeds or membranes. Tomorrow might be an interesting trip to the bathroom.

Latest posts

Back