• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ribs Recipe

Ursa Major said:
f***[*] tease! Are you doing "the trick" on your friend?

:lol: I made the one mistake I always try to avoid...I was the first to pass out. I don't even want to think about the pictures that will be circulating on the various social media sites. I called my buddy this morning and he assured me that he didn't take advantage of the situation, but I'm wondering why there was a opened box of condoms and a ticonderoga #2 laying on the table.

snap said:
Ursa Major said:

:lol: I made the one mistake I always try to avoid...I was the first to pass out. I don't even want to think about the pictures that will be circulating on the various social media sites. I called my buddy this morning and he assured me that he didn't take advantage of the situation, but I'm wondering why there was a opened box of condoms and a ticonderoga #2 laying on the table.
HA!

polsongrizz said:
snap said:
Just brushed the ribs with apple juice and wrapped them in foil. Few more hours and it's gonna be rib mania.
Try spraying Apple Cider instead, imparts a better flavor IMO.

I use apple cider vinegar and it works really well with a HOT bbq sauce. Also, you might try a small bowl of the vinegar under the grill if there's room enough where its cooler, or you're gas grilling/smoking and not firing all burners.

Good looking sh*t on here boys!!!

snap said:
cclarkblues said:
I put a big-ass brisket in the smoker this afternoon. Slathered it with mustard and rub yesterday and let it sit for a day. Now it is in the hands of the gods because it seems smoking brisket really is rocket science.

Clark. I've never had the balls to do a brisket. At some point I'm gonna have to sack up and let it fly.

Yep! One thing I've found is that, unless you TOTALLY F up the brisket, you can whip up a pretty damn nice smokehouse chili with overdone brisket! :thumb:

snap said:
Ursa Major said:

Ticonderoga? You sure that wasn't an Eberhard Faber? :lol:

snap said:
You guys ever smoke up a tray of wicked beans? It's amazing. Take a big can of baked beans and add bacon, onion, green pepper, jalapenos, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Mix it all together and voila! Wicked beans. So good. Especially when smoked under the ribs. I'm making it right now (which is why I ask).

Add some Jack Daniels to your smoked beans - you will be rewarded.

Anyone with a recommendation on a good smoker? Or plans for a DIY? Thanks, I'll hang up now and listen for my answer.

bgbigdog said:
Anyone with a recommendation on a good smoker? Or plans for a DIY? Thanks, I'll hang up now and listen for my answer.
Weber Smoky Mountain or Big Green Egg, if you aren't looking to spend a fortune.

bgbigdog said:

Got a Green Mountain wood pellet grill , best grill II ever owned . Great for smoking, did a couple of pork shoulders for pulled pork. Pretty much got the ribs down to a science . Ask Hammer he is an expert on ribs and he enjoyed mine . I bought mine at Silverbow Hearth and Home in Butte was 10% off for 749.00 . I know Sportsmans Warehouse sells them . There just as good or better than the Treagers ,less expensive though

TCCGRIZ said:
bgbigdog said:

Got a Green Mountain wood pellet grill , best grill II ever owned . Great for smoking, did a couple of pork shoulders for pulled pork. Pretty much got the ribs down to a science . Ask Hammer he is an expert on ribs and he enjoyed mine . I bought mine at Silverbow Hearth and Home in Butte was 10% off for 749.00 . I know Sportsmans Warehouse sells them . There just as good or better than the Treagers ,less expensive though
Htowngriz said:
bgbigdog said:
Weber Smoky Mountain or Big Green Egg, if you aren't looking to spend a fortune.

Many thanks gentlemen!

bgbigdog said:

I currently Own a Cookshack. Made in America. Steel. It is Built like a tank and functionality and reliability are excellent. Not cheap, but product longevity is great.

http://www.cookshack.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Originally had a Bradley. Functionality was good, but reliability was poor. Numerous times I had to replace parts / reconstruct.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Proud Griz Man said:
bgbigdog said:

I currently Own a Cookshack. Made in America. Steel. It is Built like a tank and functionality and reliability are excellent. Not cheap, but product longevity is great.

Originally had a Bradley. Functionality was good, but reliability was poor. Numerous times I had to replace parts / reconstruct.

Many thanks PGM.

bgbigdog said:
Proud Griz Man said:
bgbigdog said:

Many thanks PGM.

I bought a large stainless BBQ with the smoker box under at Sears. It works fantastic. If you are cooking lots of food on BBQ, you can use the large smoker box for an oven warmer. It smokes fantastic! Great brisket and ribs. Can hold a lot of meat...

reinell30 said:
bgbigdog said:
Proud Griz Man said:
bgbigdog said:

Many thanks PGM.

I bought a large stainless BBQ with the smoker box under at Sears. It works fantastic. If you are cooking lots of food on BBQ, you can use the large smoker box for an oven warmer. It smokes fantastic! Great brisket and ribs. Can hold a lot of meat...

Most of my forays into smoking have been disasters. Thanks.

bgbigdog said:
[

Most of my forays into smoking have been disasters. Thanks.[/quote]

Initially, you can start with your gas/charcoal barbeque and get some practice/successes before buying a smoker machine. You can find wood chips and cast-iron smoker boxes for sale.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/03/how-to-smoke-on-gas-grill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Brother uses this Camp Chef... He has had it for at least 3 years, and we have never had a problem... I prefer gas because it's easier to control the temp...

One thing we noticed recently is Salmon took forever, but it was a windy day and we used cedar planks... Both firsts for that smoker, something we won't repeat... I would try the planks again because the Salmon was UNREAL, but it will have to be a completely calm day...

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Camp-Chef-Smoke-Vault/productDetail/Smokers-and-Wood-Chips/prod71424/cat101724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cuervohola said:
My Brother uses this Camp Chef... He has had it for at least 3 years, and we have never had a problem... I prefer gas because it's easier to control the temp...

One thing we noticed recently is Salmon took forever, but it was a windy day and we used cedar planks... Both firsts for that smoker, something we won't repeat... I would try the planks again because the Salmon was UNREAL, but it will have to be a completely calm day...

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Camp-Chef-Smoke-Vault/productDetail/Smokers-and-Wood-Chips/prod71424/cat101724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree, gas is easiest to control. My big BBQ is gas. The smoker under it is gas. When the wind blows, (which is all the time in Great falls) I wrap the grill cover around the bottom of the smoker so the wind doesn't effect temp. I use a lot of mesquite and hickory combined. I like Hammers idea with the Dr Pepper, never tried that. I normally soak my ribs in meat tenderizer over night then cover with spices over another night and let sit at room temp for about 24-40 hours to let the spices soak in, Then with them wrapped in tinfoil, throw them on the BBQ for about 2 hours on low, take off the foil and smoke for about an 1 hour.

TCCGRIZ said:
bgbigdog said:

I agree with TCC, his ribs are fantastic! Rumor has it they will be served at one of my tailgates this fall!!

Back