• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrap the 3-3-5 for Griz/Cat Game

CatsRback said:
On a scale of 1- missing how lost are you?
Huh? Wtf. Seriously, dude, I think you should sit the next few out. Maybe go check on the composter or something.
All this readin’ is just too much and you are starting to embarrass other Bubfats

garizzalies said:
Bear Spray said:
For the record, McKay is the 3rd ranked QB in the FCS for passing efficiency behind only Cole Kelley & Eric Barriere. He can throw the ball. He can run the ball. You haven't seen the tight ends yet, but you will soon. MSU's more balanced on O than they've been in a long, long time.
Hehe this is great. I love the recent threats from Bubfats. “You haven't seen the tight ends yet, but you will soon.” They must be saving them, huh?

Are you talking about the “QB” your coach said had no rhythm, looked weird, ugly, and about any other adjective? Why is he getting worse each game? Never a good trend, especially late in the season. I heard they almost yanked the guy out to put in the true freshman from Butte permanently. Probably next game. Has the guy ever seen snow?

Yes, I am, but I must have missed the interview you're citing as those adjectives were missing from the one's I read. Could you quote the adjectives instead of trolling? I think the tight ends will be used more in the last 3 games, particularly against EW & UM and it would take a dotard to see that as a threat.

Bear Spray said:
garizzalies said:
Hehe this is great. I love the recent threats from Bubfats. “You haven't seen the tight ends yet, but you will soon.” They must be saving them, huh?

Are you talking about the “QB” your coach said had no rhythm, looked weird, ugly, and about any other adjective? Why is he getting worse each game? Never a good trend, especially late in the season. I heard they almost yanked the guy out to put in the true freshman from Butte permanently. Probably next game. Has the guy ever seen snow?

Yes, I am, but I must have missed the interview you're citing as those adjectives were missing from the one's I read. Could you quote the adjectives instead of trolling? I think the tight ends will be used more in the last 3 games, particularly against EW & UM and it would take a dotard to see that as a threat.

Those tight ends are gonna be a force when they get to campus.

Bear Spray said:
garizzalies said:

Yes, I am, but I must have missed the interview you're citing as those adjectives were missing from the one's I read. Could you quote the adjectives instead of trolling?
It was in the paper this week. My gosh, I already cited and quoted it on page 2 of this very thread. If you damn engineers could read we probably wouldn’t need 17 page threads everywhere.

Your very own coach is the one trolling—he’s the one who said you can “throw about any adjective on that.”

Any adjective you want. :lol:

I googled coach’s favorite adjectives and here’s the list:

criminally low

dirty slow

extravagant horse-drawn

clean

second-class

whole nuptial

stolidly predictable

gloomy long-distance

better vocal

garizzalies said:
Bear Spray said:
Yes, I am, but I must have missed the interview you're citing as those adjectives were missing from the one's I read. Could you quote the adjectives instead of trolling?
It was in the paper this week. My gosh, I already cited and quoted it on page 2 of this very thread. If you damn engineers could read we probably wouldn’t need 17 page threads everywhere.

Your very own coach is the one trolling—he’s the one who said you can “throw about any adjective on that.”

criminally low

dirty slow

extravagant horse-drawn

clean

second-class

whole nuptial

stolidly predictable

gloomy long-distance

better vocal

Now, I know one can use “vim” and/or conjugations as a noun or a verb.
n. “There’s vim all over this rug.”
v. “The cat vimmed all over this rug.”

But, can it be used as an adjective?
a. “Sixx gazed upon his vimmy rug with no expression, expressionless, without an expression, and expressed nothing while eating some plain butter noodles he actually brought home in a to-go box from Applebee’s.”

Is that an adjective? I feel like it modifies the noun…

CDAGRIZ said:
garizzalies said:

criminally low

dirty slow

extravagant horse-drawn

clean

second-class

whole nuptial

stolidly predictable

gloomy long-distance

better vocal

a. “Sixx gazed upon his vimmy rug with no expression, expressionless, without an expression, and expressed nothing while eating some plain butter noodles he actually brought home in a to-go box from Applebee’s.”

Adverb for you?

b. "The soiled rug lay vimly over the shower curtain rod that strained to support its weight. 'Not again...', said Sixx, like someone realizing he's once again ordered two too many hot dogs at Costco on his way out of the store, defeated, but accepted."

uofmman1122 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Adverb for you?

b. "The soiled rug lay vimly over the shower curtain rod that strained to support its weight. 'Not again...', said Sixx, like someone realizing he's once again ordered two too many hot dogs at Costco on his way out of the store, defeated, but accepted."

I think that has to work. It works in my book. “Vim” has become the utility infielder of words. Nothing it can’t do, but nothing it really does. Fine work!

poorgriz said:
Ya know I was thinking the other day about what I truly thought about the 3-3-5 defense, and digging into my brain, these are my thoughts on this defense, and my thoughts only :lol:

In American football, the 3–3–5 defense is a defensive alignment consisting of three down linemen, three linebackers, and five defensive backs. The 3–3–5 defense can also be referred to as the 3-3 stack and the Spread Defense. It is one form of the nickel defense, a generic term for a formation with five defensive backs. Veteran college football defensive coordinator Joe Lee Dunn is widely credited with being the main innovator of the 3-3-5 scheme.[1]

This alignment is generally used when the defense is trying to confuse the offense by applying different blitz pressures on the offense while playing mostly zone or sometimes man coverage. This alignment is rarely seen in the NFL[why?], but is used by many high schools to counterattack the spread offense scheme. Boise State, West Virginia, BYU, and Arizona have used this formation with success in college football. Michigan ran this formation during the 2010 season. TCU uses this as a variant formation; its base defense is a different nickel set, the 4–2–5. In 2017 Iowa State adopted this defense as a counter to the air raid offenses commonly encountered the Big 12 Conference.

Teams that run the 3-3-5 generally use it because they are a relatively fast but smaller unit compared to the opposing offense, and they want to cause blocking assignment issues for that offense. Also, a 3-3-5 can be adjusted to a 4-3, 3-4, or 4-4 defense with the same starting players.

And in summary I really don't think it will work against the Cats. :lol:

Smart post stating that it won't work against the Cats. They'll run for 300+ once again.

You see, your last comment about the 3-3-5 being "adjusted" to a 4-3 or 3-4 WITH THE SAME STARTING PLAYERS, is exactly what the Griz coaches attempt to do, and it has never worked against the Bobcats. Smaller defensive backs are no match for a second level O-line blocker who engages him beyond the LOS. And the Cats have a very good run-blocking O-line capable of making a second block beyond the LOS after opening a hole for the RB. But, if we substitute Braxton Hill, at 235 lbs. for Fouch, he is better able to play-off blocks and negate big running plays. The Cats had many long running plays against us during the past three games. The 3-4 can go a long way to keeping those plays to short gains, or even losses by playing strong gap defense.

CatsRback said:
Ursa Major said:
If by, “you guys”, you mean one mentally ill poster on the board, you’re correct.

You won’t find many Griz fans that don’t have faith in the Griz defense.

Totally agree but let’s leave the mentally ill outta it. The point of these forums is to bring up topics, discuss, and sometimes, have differing views. I’ve seen how you guys eat your own on here. Kind of sad. Just disagree and move on. No need to name call, we’re all adults here.
[/quote

Unfortunately, engaging with members of The Squad, is futile. First, they hi-jack every thread attempting to discuss football. Secondly, their immaturity shows front-and-center if a Bobcat fan attempts to make a football post. You are instantly discredited for being an ignorant non-nothing dolt, and are reminded of that fact. Lastly, their attempts at even making a football-relevant posts are laughable. Pedestrian Kool-Aid drinkers all. They couldn't coach a Little Grizzly football team.

Keep talking football. These pin heads don't represent the majority of posters in Griz Nation. Some of us enjoy mixing-it-up with intelligent posters of our opponents, without resorting to adolescent tripe.

hunt-ducks said:
poorgriz said:
Ya know I was thinking the other day about what I truly thought about the 3-3-5 defense, and digging into my brain, these are my thoughts on this defense, and my thoughts only :lol:

In American football, the 3–3–5 defense is a defensive alignment consisting of three down linemen, three linebackers, and five defensive backs. The 3–3–5 defense can also be referred to as the 3-3 stack and the Spread Defense. It is one form of the nickel defense, a generic term for a formation with five defensive backs. Veteran college football defensive coordinator Joe Lee Dunn is widely credited with being the main innovator of the 3-3-5 scheme.[1]

This alignment is generally used when the defense is trying to confuse the offense by applying different blitz pressures on the offense while playing mostly zone or sometimes man coverage. This alignment is rarely seen in the NFL[why?], but is used by many high schools to counterattack the spread offense scheme. Boise State, West Virginia, BYU, and Arizona have used this formation with success in college football. Michigan ran this formation during the 2010 season. TCU uses this as a variant formation; its base defense is a different nickel set, the 4–2–5. In 2017 Iowa State adopted this defense as a counter to the air raid offenses commonly encountered the Big 12 Conference.

Teams that run the 3-3-5 generally use it because they are a relatively fast but smaller unit compared to the opposing offense, and they want to cause blocking assignment issues for that offense. Also, a 3-3-5 can be adjusted to a 4-3, 3-4, or 4-4 defense with the same starting players.

And in summary I really don't think it will work against the Cats. :lol:

Smart post stating that it won't work against the Cats. They'll run for 300+ once again.

You see, your last comment about the 3-3-5 being "adjusted" to a 4-3 or 3-4 WITH THE SAME STARTING PLAYERS, is exactly what the Griz coaches attempt to do, and it has never worked against the Bobcats. Smaller defensive backs are no match for a second level O-line blocker who engages him beyond the LOS. And the Cats have a very good run-blocking O-line capable of making a second block beyond the LOS after opening a hole for the RB. But, if we substitute Braxton Hill, at 235 lbs. for Fouch, he is better able to play-off blocks and negate big running plays. The Cats had many long running plays against us during the past three games. The 3-4 can go a long way to keeping those plays to short gains, or even losses by playing strong gap defense.
At least twice now in this thread a poster was making fun of you and you quoted them without realizing it. Remember earlier where they were laughing at you because you have zero self-awareness? Well, you just did it again, and I bet you still have no clue, do you?

Wait for it....

9e4ac7287d2a39631b2163122b3463c8.gif

...Twice!!

CDAGRIZ said:
garizzalies said:

criminally low

dirty slow

extravagant horse-drawn

clean

second-class

whole nuptial

stolidly predictable

gloomy long-distance

better vocal

Yes they certainly do use “vim” as an adjective. I am always telling my neighbor it is time to toss his vim-crusted carharts, and how I will never cross the vim blue line.

garizzalies said:
hunt-ducks said:

At least twice now in this thread a poster was making fun of you and you quoted them without realizing it. Remember earlier where they were laughing at you because you have zero self-awareness? Well, you just did it again, and I bet you still have no clue, do you?
I think having Hill gain 10 pounds in 4 weeks would probably take away some of his speed.

uofmman1122 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Adverb for you?

:lol: :clap: Fine work, men!

garizzalies said:
hunt-ducks said:

Oh really? You are so jealous of me. I guess you have no clue about the poster who told you that I live in your head rent-free. I talk football, and all you do is attempt to provide insults. You are pathetic loser, and I own you. The Halloween pumpkin on your porch has more teeth than you.

kemajic said:
Really wondering what all this has to do with the Griz defense.

But why are you surprised, Kem? It's par for the course in every football thread. These idiots think this site is their private Twitter account. Does it surprise you that you did not receive a single nomination for top poster of all time, even though you talk football in almost every post? This is not a football site any longer, it is social media forum for insecure non-athlete pedestrian Griz fans.

hunt-ducks said:
kemajic said:
Really wondering what all this has to do with the Griz defense.

But why are you surprised, Kem? It's par for the course in every football thread. These idiots think this site is their private Twitter account. Does it surprise you that you did not receive a single nomination for top poster of all time, even though you talk football in almost every post? This is not a football site any longer, it is social media forum for insecure non-athlete pedestrian Griz fans.

Cry.

CDAGRIZ said:
hunt-ducks said:

Cry.

Does the truth hurt, sweet cheeks? If the fuchsia briefs fit, wear them.

hunt-ducks said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Does the truth hurt, sweet cheeks? If the fuchsia briefs fit, wear them.

Here's my take on the 4-3:

In American football, a 4–3 defense is a defensive alignment consisting of four down linemen and three linebackers. It is called a "base defense" because it is the default defensive alignment used on "base downs" (1st and 2nd downs). However, defenses will readily switch to other defensive alignments (such as a nickel defense or a dime defense) as circumstances change. Alternatively, some defenses use a 3–4 defense.

Contents
1 History
2 Defensive line
3 Linebackers
4 Secondary
5 Teams currently deploying the 4–3 defense
6 References
7 Bibliography
8 External links
History
The Giants employed a 6-1-4 basic formation when they shut out the Browns in 1950, but on many plays this became a 4-1-6 in reality, when the ball was snapped, because the ends dropped off the line to afford extraordinary coverage on passes

— Steve Owen, My Kind of Football, 1952, p. 183
Early in the history of the NFL, teams stacked the defensive line of scrimmage with seven linemen, typically using a 7-diamond or the 7-box.[1] With the liberalization of the forward passing rules in 1933, the defenses began to evolve along with the offensive changes, and by the later 1930s, the standard defense in the NFL and college was the 6-2.[2][3] The successes of the T formation and the introduction of free substitution (abolishing the one-platoon system) in the 1940s led to the almost universal adoption by 1950 of the five-man line.[4] There were two versions popular in the NFL. The 5-3 was an older defense that remained popular through the 1940s and early 1950s.

By the late 1940s, Greasy Neale's 5-2 Eagle defense was creating problems for offenses with a five-man line and four-man secondary. Roughly concurrently, Paul Brown had developed a vertical timing offense. The Browns won every championship of the rival All-America Football Conference from its inception in 1946 through 1949. In the first game of the 1950 season NFL Commissioner Bert Bell had the newly admitted Browns play the champion Philadelphia Eagles on a Saturday ahead of the rest of the league's scheduled Sunday games. The Browns handily won the game in Philadelphia 35–10 and showed they were a force to be reckoned with.

Defenses knew they had to find a way to stop the spread-out vertical offense of the Browns. New York Giants head coach Steve Owen came up with his umbrella defense which showed a 6–1–4 alignment before the snap but could flex (drop back) its two defensive ends into pass protection. The defense was successful, and the only two losses by the Browns in 1950 came at the hands of the Giants. While the concept belonged to Owen, the newly acquired defensive back, Tom Landry, explained and taught the defense.[5] While the defense was a precursor to the traditional 4–3–4 of today, it was not yet evolved into what one would call a traditional 4–3 defense. That took an additional six years.

Other NFL teams came to a version of the 4-3 via a different route. Despite the success of the Browns in the single game with the Eagles, the 5-2 Eagle became more popular, and more teams began to switch to it from the older 5-3 defense.[4] Because the 5-2 lacks a middle linebacker, it was vulnerable to passes over the middle. As a consequence, 5-2 teams experimented with pulling their middle guards back, and many teams were trying this new approach by 1954.[6] In 1956, Landry became the first defensive coordinator to switch to the 4-3 as a base defense. As the 1956 Giants won the NFL Championship, this gave the 4-3 enormous exposure, and just about the whole NFL converted to the new system the following season.[6]

In the original version of the 4–3, the tackles lined up over the offensive guards and the ends lined up on the outside shoulder of the offensive tackles, with the middle linebacker over the center and the other linebackers outside the ends. In the mid-1960s, Hank Stram developed a popular variation, the "Kansas City Stack", which shifted the strong-side defensive end over the tight end, stacked the strong-side linebacker over the tackle, and shifted the weak-side tackle over center. At about the same time, the Cleveland Browns frequently used a weak-side shift. Landry developed a "flex" variation, in order to take advantage of the quickness of his Hall of Fame tackle, Bob Lilly.[7] In Landry's original 4–3 defenses (4–3 inside and 4–3 outside), both defensive tackles were flexed.[8] In the "flex", on a pro set right, with defensive keys showing a run to the right, the right defensive tackle would be flush on the line and was supposed to penetrate.[9] The right defensive end and left defensive tackle were flexed two feet off the line of scrimmage, the right defensive end now head-on with the left offensive tackle (i.e. a 4–2–2–5 front instead of the more common 5–2–2–5 front). This gave the defense a "zig zag" look unlike any other of its day. The 'flex' was developed to counter option blocking by the offensive lines which had learned to move their heads up defensive linemen to either side to create holes. The running back would then patiently run to daylight. The Flex allowed two defensive linemen to read and react better to the option blocking. The other two linemen could either attack upfield or hold their single gap like the flexed linemen and wait for the ball to come to them. These concepts of shooting the gap and shoot and hold the gap are integral parts of today's more modern versions of the 4–3 which include the Tampa 2 scheme, the Seattle Seahawks shoot and hold defense and the 4–3 slide.

So, as you can see, I think we should probably not install a new defense.

Back