• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrap the 3-3-5 for Griz/Cat Game

ilovethecats said:
hunt-ducks said:
Dude, pay attention. If think that defensive coaches at every level, including the NFL, don't make adjustments in their base defense to defend against the strengths of the offense they are playing that week, then you might want to stop trying to make football-related posts.

Against EWU, the Griz coaches installed super-aggressive blitz packages, with blitzes coming from virtually every defensive player on our team to try to stop Barriere. They have never utilized these packages before, or since. But, thanks for playing.

Hey I just asked a question. :?

He just can't help himself. It's his style.

Ya know I was thinking the other day about what I truly thought about the 3-3-5 defense, and digging into my brain, these are my thoughts on this defense, and my thoughts only :lol:

In American football, the 3–3–5 defense is a defensive alignment consisting of three down linemen, three linebackers, and five defensive backs. The 3–3–5 defense can also be referred to as the 3-3 stack and the Spread Defense. It is one form of the nickel defense, a generic term for a formation with five defensive backs. Veteran college football defensive coordinator Joe Lee Dunn is widely credited with being the main innovator of the 3-3-5 scheme.[1]

This alignment is generally used when the defense is trying to confuse the offense by applying different blitz pressures on the offense while playing mostly zone or sometimes man coverage. This alignment is rarely seen in the NFL[why?], but is used by many high schools to counterattack the spread offense scheme. Boise State, West Virginia, BYU, and Arizona have used this formation with success in college football. Michigan ran this formation during the 2010 season. TCU uses this as a variant formation; its base defense is a different nickel set, the 4–2–5. In 2017 Iowa State adopted this defense as a counter to the air raid offenses commonly encountered the Big 12 Conference.

Teams that run the 3-3-5 generally use it because they are a relatively fast but smaller unit compared to the opposing offense, and they want to cause blocking assignment issues for that offense. Also, a 3-3-5 can be adjusted to a 4-3, 3-4, or 4-4 defense with the same starting players.

And in summary I really don't think it will work against the Cats. :lol:

hunt-ducks said:
I realize that this game is far into the future, but I believe that the defensive coaches should be installing the following defense in preparation for this game. They can work-on this alignment some each practice until game-time.

The Griz need to utilize a 3-4-4 defense versus the Bobcats. Our linebackers are the strongest part of our defense, and putting 4 of them on the field in this game will give us the best chance to stop the solid Bobcat running game. I would bench Fouch, and insert Braxton Hill at LB. Hill is very strong against the run. Along with Robertson being very strong against the run, it would give us 7-8 defenders near the LOS to help stop their running attack.

I welcome any comments to this suggestion. I look forward to having a thread which avoids hi-jacking by the usual meat heads, but am skeptical that this will occur.

In summary, if Bobby chooses to keep the 3-3-5 in place for the Cat game, I believe we will see the following results:

Cats run for 300+ yards
Ifanse runs for 160+ yards
Robby Hauck has his usual 12 tackles from his free safety position

Ah, thank you Hunt Ducks for welcoming any comments. This is a brilliant idea. Brilliant! Dare I say you're a gridiron savant? Did you by chance tell Bobby to prepare to stop Troy Anderson last year?? All nonsense aside, changing your defensive scheme for the last game of the season with a week to accomplish it seems a little much. For the record, McKay is the 3rd ranked QB in the FCS for passing efficiency behind only Cole Kelley & Eric Barriere. He can throw the ball. He can run the ball. You haven't seen the tight ends yet, but you will soon. MSU's more balanced on O than they've been in a long, long time. I'd stay with what brought you to the brawl.

Bear Spray said:
For the record, McKay is the 3rd ranked QB in the FCS for passing efficiency behind only Cole Kelley & Eric Barriere. He can throw the ball. He can run the ball. You haven't seen the tight ends yet, but you will soon. MSU's more balanced on O than they've been in a long, long time.
Hehe this is great. I love the recent threats from Bubfats. “You haven't seen the tight ends yet, but you will soon.” They must be saving them, huh?

Are you talking about the “QB” your coach said had no rhythm, looked weird, ugly, and about any other adjective? Why is he getting worse each game? Never a good trend, especially late in the season. I heard they almost yanked the guy out to put in the true freshman from Butte permanently. Probably next game. Has the guy ever seen snow?

hunt-ducks said:
I realize that this game is far into the future, but I believe that the defensive coaches should be installing the following defense in preparation for this game. They can work-on this alignment some each practice until game-time.

The Griz need to utilize a 3-4-4 defense versus the Bobcats. Our linebackers are the strongest part of our defense, and putting 4 of them on the field in this game will give us the best chance to stop the solid Bobcat running game. I would bench Fouch, and insert Braxton Hill at LB. Hill is very strong against the run. Along with Robertson being very strong against the run, it would give us 7-8 defenders near the LOS to help stop their running attack.

I welcome any comments to this suggestion. I look forward to having a thread which avoids hi-jacking by the usual meat heads, but am skeptical that this will occur.

In summary, if Bobby chooses to keep the 3-3-5 in place for the Cat game, I believe we will see the following results:

Cats run for 300+ yards
Ifanse runs for 160+ yards
Robby Hauck has his usual 12 tackles from his free safety position

Nah.

garizzalies said:
hunt-ducks said:
If think that defensive coaches at every level, including the NFL, don't make adjustments in their base defense to defend against the strengths of the offense they are playing that week, then you might want to stop trying to make football-related posts.
But you’re not calling for an “adjustment in their base defense”. You are lobbying for a complete “scrap” of their base D for the last game of the regular season and to go with a completely different and new scheme on D. :? You’ve even suggested a complete revamp like when Sampson ran the option vs UI.
Funny part is, you always say that no other legit team in the FCS runs our D. Well, how many of them “scrap” what they’ve been doing all year for their last regular season game? Would any team actually do that?

My God, dude. Get a clue! Yes, I am calling for inserting Hill into the line-up in a 3-4 alignment, and removing a smaller defensive back, FOR THE BOBCAT GAME! If the Griz defense puts the Cats into a third-and-long situation, then we can play the 3-3-5 on that play. Is this really that difficult for you to understand? This ain't rocket science. It is merely structuring the defense to best counter-act the Cats great running game. Did you miss the last three Cat games, where they ran through our vaunted 3-3-5 defense like a hot knife in butter??? So, you just want to try it again this time, hoping for a different result???? The Bobcat coaches are salivating at playing again against our 3-3-5. This is why posters know you as a troll who can't contribute anything to football discussion. Keep me living your head....... your next personal attack on me in 5-4-3-2.........

garizzalies said:
Bear Spray said:
For the record, McKay is the 3rd ranked QB in the FCS for passing efficiency behind only Cole Kelley & Eric Barriere. He can throw the ball. He can run the ball. You haven't seen the tight ends yet, but you will soon. MSU's more balanced on O than they've been in a long, long time.
Hehe this is great. I love the recent threats from Bubfats. “You haven't seen the tight ends yet, but you will soon.” They must be saving them, huh?

Are you talking about the “QB” your coach said had no rhythm, looked weird, ugly, and about any other adjective? Why is he getting worse each game? Never a good trend, especially late in the season. I heard they almost yanked the guy out to put in the true freshman from Butte permanently. Probably next game. Has the guy ever seen snow?

Hi kettle I’m pot, relax on the finger pointing, Bub. There’s like a 10+ KB meltdown page. I’m not sure you’d wanna see Tommy either seeing as the likes of Troy and Murray have both beat the Griz as running QB’s.

To your other point, if Bobby is throwing the kitchen sink and not saving some pocket plays for Cat/Griz or playoffs then I don’t know what to tell ya. Saving a formation or play call for when you need it has always been practiced by coaches. The season isn’t a sprint.

If I had to pick between KB and McKay at this season I would take McKay.

CatsRback said:
garizzalies said:

Hi kettle I’m pot, relax on the finger pointing, Bub. There’s like a 10+ KB meltdown page. I’m not sure you’d wanna see Tommy either seeing as the likes of Troy and Murray have both beat the Griz as running QB’s.

To your other point, if Bobby is throwing the kitchen sink and not saving some pocket plays for Cat/Griz or playoffs then I don’t know what to tell ya. Saving a formation or play call for when you need it has always been practiced by coaches. The season isn’t a sprint.

Well, that's exceedingly fortunate for you because you have McKay and you aren't getting KB!!

hunt-ducks said:
garizzalies said:
But you’re not calling for an “adjustment in their base defense”. You are lobbying for a complete “scrap” of their base D for the last game of the regular season and to go with a completely different and new scheme on D. :? You’ve even suggested a complete revamp like when Sampson ran the option vs UI.
Funny part is, you always say that no other legit team in the FCS runs our D. Well, how many of them “scrap” what they’ve been doing all year for their last regular season game? Would any team actually do that?

My God, dude. Get a clue! Yes, I am calling for inserting Hill into the line-up in a 3-4 alignment, and removing a smaller defensive back, FOR THE BOBCAT GAME! If the Griz defense puts the Cats into a third-and-long situation, then we can play the 3-3-5 on that play. Is this really that difficult for you to understand? This ain't rocket science. It is merely structuring the defense to best counter-act the Cats great running game. Did you miss the last three Cat games, where they ran through our vaunted 3-3-5 defense like a hot knife in butter??? So, you just want to try it again this time, hoping for a different result???? The Bobcat coaches are salivating at playing again against our 3-3-5. This is why posters know you as a troll who can't contribute anything to football discussion. Keep me living your head....... your next personal attack on me in 5-4-3-2.........

Last three games were '17, '18, and '19. We didn't run a 3-3-5 in '17.

Plainsman said:
CatsRback said:

Well, that's exceedingly fortunate for you because you have McKay and you aren't getting KB!!

Welp! It’s like that one girl who tells you she’s moving on and you don’t recall ever talking… unrecoverable! 😂

LOL when Montana leads the BSC with allowing 2.4 yards per rushing attempt in conf games. Next is SacSt at 2.9. While Montana's 4 opponents have averaged 3.6 yards per rushing attempt in their non-Montana games. Montana's rushing defense doesn't look broken. Let's put our "fix" energy somewhere else. It's a new year and Montana now has the personnel to run the 3-3-5 effectively.

CatsRback said:
Plainsman said:

Welp! It’s like that one girl who tells you she’s moving on and you don’t recall ever talking… unrecoverable! 😂

Whatever makes you feel better about losing a top recruit from your backyard...

ilovethecats said:
I'd just play goal line defense every down.

Seems like a no-brainer to stop the run.

Haha love it. That’ll definitely open up the passing game and we may lose 48-14... but I’ll be damned if you guys run for 200+ yards. :lol:

hunt-ducks said:
garizzalies said:

You didn’t even attempt to answer my questions, which means you can’t think of a single team that has revamped their D and personnel for the last regular season game of the year. That’s weird. If it were such a good idea, you’d think some team, somewhere, at some time would have tried it by now. Wonder why?
BTW, are you ever going to pay that bet you welched on?
BTW#2, do you think “Mensa” is short for “menstruating”?

Htowngriz said:
CatsRback said:

Whatever makes you feel better about losing a top recruit from your backyard...

Wasn’t he 20th out of 50 in the state and we just had a QB take us to the final 4? I mean if by top you mean top half then I guess perspective is reality. We brought in Casey the year before and Tommy the year after, I’m sure KB saw the writing on the wall. Don’t tell me he committed because of the Griz dominance from 2016-2019. He went where he could play. I would too if I was him.

CatsRback said:
garizzalies said:

What the hell is this crap? Genuine frontier gibberish. Makes no sense. Not even sure what you're even trying to communicate. I wasn’t the one trying to make some dumb threat about saving plays—that was one of your own dumb ass fans.

What I cited came straight from your coach’s horse-face mouth. Er...straight from the horse’s ass mouth. If you don’t like hearing that, you can take it up with him.

You sound like when my neighbor tries to read out loud. Like in Billy Madison. The neighbor called me once and tried to read a snippet from the paper but I had to hang up on him. Not because of the content he was attempting to read, but because of his delivery. The guy is an MSC grad at a fourth grade reading level. And based on posts by Bubfats around here, he seems to be the rule and not the exception

garizzalies said:
CatsRback said:

What the hell is this crap? Genuine frontier gibberish. Makes no sense. Not even sure what you're even trying to communicate. I wasn’t the one trying to make some dumb threat about saving plays—that was one of your own dumb ass fans.

What I cited came straight from your coach’s horse-face mouth. Er...straight from the horse’s ass mouth. If you don’t like hearing that, you can take it up with him.

You sound like when my neighbor tries to read out loud. Like in Billy Madison. The neighbor called me once and tried to read a snippet from the paper but I had to hang up on him. Not because of the content he was attempting to read, but because of his delivery. The guy is an MSC grad at a fourth grade reading level. And based on posts by Bubfats around here, he seems to be the rule and not the exception

On a scale of 1- missing how lost are you? 😂

Have you fallen and you can’t get up? Bring back CDA or URSA. They are way more fun to talk to.

Back